How to express PT/FT flexibility post application submission Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
reddituser

New

How to express PT/FT flexibility post application submission

Post by reddituser » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:30 pm

New here, hi everyone! I have a question, TIA.
I have been waitlisted at one school and another has asked me to write an essay about why I want to go there. To both of these schools I applied part time, haphazardly hoping it would increase my chances of admission. Now I feel like that was a poor decision (for instance, one of them is a very small part time weekend program, of which I was unaware. I applied because of the fee waiver but now want to go there.)

Anyhow, since I have the opportunity to write to these schools, would it be a good idea to mention that I am flexible in attending the full time or part time program? If so, what would be a good way to phrase this?

subtle

Silver

Re: How to express PT/FT flexibility post application submission

Post by subtle » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:35 pm

Are your numbers high for either school? I get the impression that they're not, because you applied to the part-time programs to increase your chances. At any rate, it seems to me that you're a borderline candidate--by sheer virtue of the fact that they're asking for more information. I could be very wrong, of course. They could also be gauging your interest, etc. But, at any rate, it seems to me that if you're a borderline part-time candidate, you're probably not in a position to negotiate full-time.

orangefanta

New

Post by orangefanta » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:36 pm

1. Yes.
2. Use your best business voice: concise, not slobbering, not wordy, no more than 3 paragraphs. Something along the lines of "I want to go to Beer University and would happily attend either the full time or part time program" would work.

reddituser

New

Post by reddituser » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:38 pm

subtle wrote:Are your numbers high for either school? I get the impression that they're not, because you applied to the part-time programs to increase your chances. At any rate, it seems to me that you're a borderline candidate--by sheer virtue of the fact that they're asking for more information. I could be very wrong, of course. They could also be gauging your interest, etc. But, at any rate, it seems to me that if you're a borderline part-time candidate, you're probably not in a position to negotiate full-time.
Yes, I exceed the median numbers for both schools. My thought was that the part time was actually more competitive, perhaps because there are fewer seats. I wasn't trying to negotiate a better position; I just want to get in, I don't care if it's full or part time.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:45 pm

Hmm. Well, in your LOCI for the one school I would express why you like School A's law school so much. And then express you would gladly accept any offer--be it part- or full-time. Same thing for your Why School B essay. As the other poster said, be professional, be clear, be concise. I would write all of your thoughts down on a paper. And start to make sense of them and edit them down to a page or less. You'll have to think carefully about your word choice and the reasons you put forth, but I think you'll only benefit from that much thought.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”