How to express PT/FT flexibility post application submission

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
reddituser

How to express PT/FT flexibility post application submission

Postby reddituser » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:30 pm

New here, hi everyone! I have a question, TIA.
I have been waitlisted at one school and another has asked me to write an essay about why I want to go there. To both of these schools I applied part time, haphazardly hoping it would increase my chances of admission. Now I feel like that was a poor decision (for instance, one of them is a very small part time weekend program, of which I was unaware. I applied because of the fee waiver but now want to go there.)

Anyhow, since I have the opportunity to write to these schools, would it be a good idea to mention that I am flexible in attending the full time or part time program? If so, what would be a good way to phrase this?

subtle

Re: How to express PT/FT flexibility post application submission

Postby subtle » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:35 pm

Are your numbers high for either school? I get the impression that they're not, because you applied to the part-time programs to increase your chances. At any rate, it seems to me that you're a borderline candidate--by sheer virtue of the fact that they're asking for more information. I could be very wrong, of course. They could also be gauging your interest, etc. But, at any rate, it seems to me that if you're a borderline part-time candidate, you're probably not in a position to negotiate full-time.

orangefanta

Postby orangefanta » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:36 pm

1. Yes.
2. Use your best business voice: concise, not slobbering, not wordy, no more than 3 paragraphs. Something along the lines of "I want to go to Beer University and would happily attend either the full time or part time program" would work.

reddituser

Postby reddituser » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:38 pm

subtle wrote:Are your numbers high for either school? I get the impression that they're not, because you applied to the part-time programs to increase your chances. At any rate, it seems to me that you're a borderline candidate--by sheer virtue of the fact that they're asking for more information. I could be very wrong, of course. They could also be gauging your interest, etc. But, at any rate, it seems to me that if you're a borderline part-time candidate, you're probably not in a position to negotiate full-time.

Yes, I exceed the median numbers for both schools. My thought was that the part time was actually more competitive, perhaps because there are fewer seats. I wasn't trying to negotiate a better position; I just want to get in, I don't care if it's full or part time.

subtle

Postby subtle » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:45 pm

Hmm. Well, in your LOCI for the one school I would express why you like School A's law school so much. And then express you would gladly accept any offer--be it part- or full-time. Same thing for your Why School B essay. As the other poster said, be professional, be clear, be concise. I would write all of your thoughts down on a paper. And start to make sense of them and edit them down to a page or less. You'll have to think carefully about your word choice and the reasons you put forth, but I think you'll only benefit from that much thought.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”