St. Mary's c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
roarthur

New

Re: St. Mary's 2011

Post by roarthur » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:54 pm

Status checker changed to decision rendered this morning. Should hear soon!

MCRemix

New

Post by MCRemix » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:18 pm

roarthur wrote:Status checker changed to decision rendered this morning. Should hear soon!
Ditto, happened to be going through my status checker list today and saw it change to complete and under review, just one hour later decision made.

They may take awhile to complete the app, but they're fast to make decisions!

roarthur

New

Post by roarthur » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:40 am

I was just accepted! 153 LSAT 3.1 GPA. Pretty low scores so there's hope for others. They called me early this morning to tell me I was accepted because they did not think I would get my letter in time to attend some accepted student meeting in Houston on Wednesday. Good luck to everyone else!

MCRemix

New

Post by MCRemix » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:48 pm

roarthur wrote:I was just accepted! 153 LSAT 3.1 GPA. Pretty low scores so there's hope for others. They called me early this morning to tell me I was accepted because they did not think I would get my letter in time to attend some accepted student meeting in Houston on Wednesday. Good luck to everyone else!
Congrats! PT or FT program?

roarthur

New

Post by roarthur » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:25 pm

FT. I applied the first day the applications were available and was complete very shortly after that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MCRemix

New

Post by MCRemix » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:10 pm

roarthur wrote:FT. I applied the first day the applications were available and was complete very shortly after that.
At least the wait was worth it! Is this one of your target schools?

roarthur

New

Post by roarthur » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:22 pm

It is definitely nice to see an acceptance from them. I would say it is the second best option I have left. Considering that I am from Houston, South Texas is the more likely choice should I be accepted.

MCRemix

New

Post by MCRemix » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:11 pm

Scholarship info arrived. (Note: PT program, not FT)

Basically 6K per year for 4 years. Stipulation of top 10% :shock: and possibility to keep some of it if in top 25% :roll:

Looks like I'll be negotiating....

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:17 pm

I got in too but with only $2K scholarship a year with 10% stipulation. I also got into little rock with in state tuition. How do I negotiate with St. Mary's to give me a little more money? Because as of now I would be paying around $100K for St. Mary's and around $30K for Bowen in little rock,Arkansas.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MCRemix

New

Post by MCRemix » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:28 pm

merc280 wrote:I got in too but with only $2K scholarship a year with 10% stipulation. I also got into little rock with in state tuition. How do I negotiate with St. Mary's to give me a little more money? Because as of now I would be paying around $100K for St. Mary's and around $30K for Bowen in little rock,Arkansas.
Solid guide to negotiating here:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=79373

Some of their sample email/letters are sort of aimed for those that didnt recieve ANY aid initially however, so adapt your email to your situation. General TLS guidance is to be polite, let them know they're a/the top choice for you, but that merit aid is a major consideration for you.

I'm waiting for a few more acceptances and scholarship offers pending before I negotiate, but I'd like to know how it works out for you. Post back and let us know how it goes!

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:56 am

MCRemix wrote:
merc280 wrote:I got in too but with only $2K scholarship a year with 10% stipulation. I also got into little rock with in state tuition. How do I negotiate with St. Mary's to give me a little more money? Because as of now I would be paying around $100K for St. Mary's and around $30K for Bowen in little rock,Arkansas.
Solid guide to negotiating here:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=79373

Some of their sample email/letters are sort of aimed for those that didnt recieve ANY aid initially however, so adapt your email to your situation. General TLS guidance is to be polite, let them know they're a/the top choice for you, but that merit aid is a major consideration for you.

I'm waiting for a few more acceptances and scholarship offers pending before I negotiate, but I'd like to know how it works out for you. Post back and let us know how it goes!

I sent them an email asking if there was room to increase my scholarship amount, and stated that I was a teas native and was really interested in staying in state and going to St. Mary's. She hasn't emailed back but I'll post back what her final answer is.

MCRemix

New

Post by MCRemix » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:13 pm

merc280 wrote: I sent them an email asking if there was room to increase my scholarship amount, and stated that I was a teas native and was really interested in staying in state and going to St. Mary's. She hasn't emailed back but I'll post back what her final answer is.
Awesome, good luck! Hopefully they're only sticklers on the initial offer and they open up some after you negotiate!

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:18 pm

Bad News. Here's her response.

We understand the situation you face, but unfortunately that is not something we can do. We have awarded you the amount that we are able based on your application credentials. I understand the significance of the obligations you may face and we hope you decide based on all factors, the choice most appropriate to your future success and plan.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MCRemix

New

Post by MCRemix » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:19 pm

merc280 wrote:Bad News. Here's her response.

We understand the situation you face, but unfortunately that is not something we can do. We have awarded you the amount that we are able based on your application credentials. I understand the significance of the obligations you may face and we hope you decide based on all factors, the choice most appropriate to your future success and plan.
Wow, not even a budge, sorry buddy. Did you spell out the other scholarship?

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:32 pm

MCRemix wrote:
merc280 wrote:Bad News. Here's her response.

Wow, not even a budge, sorry buddy. Did you spell out the other scholarship?

yeah I told them about Bowen and how I was getting Instate tuition plus $8K, which pretty much makes it a full ride but they didn't care. I still think I might go to St. Mary's since I'm a texas native.

graceful1

New

Post by graceful1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:01 pm

graceful1 wrote:151/3.91 (3.916)

Admitted 02/15
Withdrawn 03/02

sceva31st

New

Post by sceva31st » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:22 pm

I just received an email inviting me to a reception for accepted students and my status checker says at the top a decision has been made so I am assuming I have been accepted. My status still says complete since 2/14 though. Never went into review or anything...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

roarthur

New

Post by roarthur » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:55 pm

That's what mine did last week. They actually called me and that's how I found out. They called me because the Houston accepted students thing was last weekend and they didn't think I would get the letter in time to go to that. (I am from Houston)

sceva31st

New

Post by sceva31st » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:16 pm

roarthur wrote:That's what mine did last week. They actually called me and that's how I found out. They called me because the Houston accepted students thing was last weekend and they didn't think I would get the letter in time to go to that. (I am from Houston)
how was the reception?

roarthur

New

Post by roarthur » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:08 pm

sceva31st wrote:
roarthur wrote:That's what mine did last week. They actually called me and that's how I found out. They called me because the Houston accepted students thing was last weekend and they didn't think I would get the letter in time to go to that. (I am from Houston)
how was the reception?

I actually didn't make it to the reception but instead visited the law school. The school has a lot of positive things about it. Facilities are nice and the way their court room is set up is really cool. They have a temporary wall that can be moved and opens up 4 of the large classrooms so they can view the court room. I don't know if that is a good description or not but if you get a chance to see it take advantage. The part of town it is in is less than desirable but I thought the campus had a segregated feel from the surrounding neighborhoods which is good. I didn't realize how far from the campus most students live. A friend of mine who attends said it takes him 20-30 minutes to get to campus from his house.

sceva31st

New

Post by sceva31st » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:42 pm

roarthur wrote:
sceva31st wrote:
how was the reception?

I actually didn't make it to the reception but instead visited the law school. The school has a lot of positive things about it. Facilities are nice and the way their court room is set up is really cool. They have a temporary wall that can be moved and opens up 4 of the large classrooms so they can view the court room. I don't know if that is a good description or not but if you get a chance to see it take advantage. The part of town it is in is less than desirable but I thought the campus had a segregated feel from the surrounding neighborhoods which is good. I didn't realize how far from the campus most students live. A friend of mine who attends said it takes him 20-30 minutes to get to campus from his house.
wow that is a lot longer drive than I would like to make. Got the acceptance letter in the mail today along with a 3k scholly requiring me to stay in the top 10% like everyone else thus far. I suppose that is a great way to get people to come to your school and not have to pay everyone you offer a scholarship to. Really seems like it would make things pretty competitive, especially for those receiving more significant amounts of money. What does your friend have to say about his fellow students?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:50 pm

sceva31st wrote:
roarthur wrote:I actually didn't make it to the reception but instead visited the law school. The school has a lot of positive things about it. Facilities are nice and the way their court room is set up is really cool. They have a temporary wall that can be moved and opens up 4 of the large classrooms so they can view the court room. I don't know if that is a good description or not but if you get a chance to see it take advantage. The part of town it is in is less than desirable but I thought the campus had a segregated feel from the surrounding neighborhoods which is good. I didn't realize how far from the campus most students live. A friend of mine who attends said it takes him 20-30 minutes to get to campus from his house.
wow that is a lot longer drive than I would like to make. Got the acceptance letter in the mail today along with a 3k scholly requiring me to stay in the top 10% like everyone else thus far. I suppose that is a great way to get people to come to your school and not have to pay everyone you offer a scholarship to. Really seems like it would make things pretty competitive, especially for those receiving more significant amounts of money. What does your friend have to say about his fellow students?
I didn't apply to St. Mary's but I've lived in San Antonio and my wife is from there, and re the location, living 20-30 minutes away from St. Mary's is much better than actually living near there, that's how bad the location around St. Mary's is.

MCRemix

New

Post by MCRemix » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:04 am

jacketman03 wrote: I didn't apply to St. Mary's but I've lived in San Antonio and my wife is from there, and re the location, living 20-30 minutes away from St. Mary's is much better than actually living near there, that's how bad the location around St. Mary's is.
I still live in San Antonio and would concur that the neighborhoods immediately around StMU aren't outstanding.

However, you don't need to live even 20-30 minutes away for a decent neighborhood, 5-15 minutes is enough. Plus, San Antonio is a great city and we have an incredibly low cost of living compared to some cities.

roarthur

New

Post by roarthur » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:29 am

He seems to love it there. He said there is a large group of people much older than he expected, but over all he said he has made a lot of friends and has a good group of people to study with.

scutarius

New

Post by scutarius » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:58 pm

I received my PT acceptance letter in the mail today. One page. No mention of scholarship. Did everyone get scholarship info with their letter of acceptance or did it follow in another letter? Also, did St. Mary's follow-up with an acceptance package or is this one page all there is?

:?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”