Duquese University School of Law?? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:58 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Wow, Duquesne is really starting to worry me. I applied on 1/20 and as alum (twice) and being several points over their 75th percentile LSAT, I wonder why they can't just tell me one way or another. This waiting on law school decisions stress is driving me bonkers.
you applied twice? Or have two degrees?

If you are over their 75th on LSAT, they might by YPing you.
Did you mention how you wanted to go to Duquense in your PS or do a Why Duquesne essay? If not, and its been a while since it applied, I don't think it would hurt to e-mail them and say how you are excited about the oppurtunity to attend etc etc... Like do a LOCI. I mean its usually for people on the WL who have been YPed, but you could do it as a pre-emptive strike of sorts.
Yeah, that's what I thought. They ask "where have you applied" on the app and I say Pitt and WVU. "OH, SO WE'RE JUST HER SAFETY SCHOOL!" Something like that. Perhaps they're seeing if I withdraw first or not. Actually, I have called the admissions office on a few occasions with different questions. So I don't think I give them an uninterested impression, but who knows what they think. I did the Why Duquesne essay and I thought I did a good job honestly saying why I liked it and why I wanted to go there. They also have a personal statement, which is optional. The Why Duquesne is not optional.

To answer your question, I have my UG degree from there and a certificate from there. So I went there twice for two different programs.

How much longer should I wait until I send the letter? A week? Two? Three? Thanks.

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:56 am

I would either send an email today, or wait another week (and not fret about it).

But, here's how I see it. You applied on 1/20 and Duquesne has to wait for your check to clear and for LSAC before it considers you for review. It generally takes all schools a week to go "UR" from "received/complete" from my experiences.
From there, it takes most schools a month to decide... with Feb being a short month, you're probably approaching that now. And since it's crunch time, they are probably just behind a week or two. I wouldn't worry!!

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:57 am

ps I visited the campus this past weekend if anyone has any questions. It's a decent building, and the area isn't too bad. I guess it was OK. I hope my scholarship negotiations work because I really don't want to pay so much!!

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:46 pm

Thanks for your comments (both of you). I just want to know if I am moving to an apartment within Pittsburgh or moving to Florida. I will let everyone know whenever these local schools tell me something...

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:48 pm

Does anyone know if Duquesne takes longer to decide for their part-time day applicants. I applied 1/20 and there are people (most people) who hear back from them in 3-4 weeks. But one thought was that it might be because I applied for PT. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:00 pm

withdrew today. there is one more spot for you guys and another $20k in merit money. I wish you all the best there guys, Pittsburgh is a great town.

HarveyBirdman

New

Post by HarveyBirdman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:28 am

I just wanted to say that as someone considering Pitt in the upcoming application cycle later this year, I had never really looked into Duquesne, but all along I have been pronouncing it as "dew-kwes-na" like a dumb ass. I think the weird name subconsciously deterred me from even considering the school. "Dew-kane" sounds better, haha.

What the hell is this French Canadian shit doing in Appalachia anyway? Bah!

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:03 am

I think it all goes back to Marquis Duquesne and his battle victories because there are a lot of things called Duquesne in Pittsburgh: Duquesne Incline, the City of Duquesne, etc. and he built Fort Duquesne. Duquesne was originally named Catholic College of Pittsburgh or something and renamed in the 1900s. So, I guess that's how the french thing got in there.

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:27 pm

I was kinda hoping it'd make top 145.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:12 am

Duquesne is probably grumpy. Last time Duquesne admitted me for undergrad, their ranking improved by the time I left. So, thus, if they admit me for law school and I go, their ranking should improve. Seriously joking. It is a pity about Duquesne though, I don't think they deserve to be in the same grouping as FCSL and such but I don't do the rankings.

Wactawshus

New

Post by Wactawshus » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:21 am

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Duquesne is probably grumpy. Last time Duquesne admitted me for undergrad, their ranking improved by the time I left. So, thus, if they admit me for law school and I go, their ranking should improve. Seriously joking. It is a pity about Duquesne though, I don't think they deserve to be in the same grouping as FCSL and such but I don't do the rankings.
I have been under the impression that Duquesne doesn't care themselves about the rankings. They seem to do everything old school (which I kinda like). I just get the feeling that they could care less about what 'rank' they are, just as long as their reputation in the burgh remains respected. No real evidence to support this, just a hunch. Anybody else feel the same way?

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:33 pm

I do in a way, but one of their reasons for firing the dean a few years ago was that he failed to improve the ranking. But overall, I would say they're much less number obsessed than the average law school.

Also, I was admitted to the part-time day program on 3/23 via snail mail. Small, thin envelope. I sent my app in on January 20th. 159/3.18 (3.41). Duquesne alum - liberal arts and paralegal institute.

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:04 pm

congrats!!

A few current students I spoke to mentioned that they were surprised that the school dropped from 3rd tier to 4th and that their new Dean, as was mentioned, speaks about increasing the rank. So, I'd say they are interested.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:23 pm

Thanks for the congrats :-) and to my recollection in the past several years, Duquesne has always been in the fourth tier.

Rankings are useful, but it can be difficult for a low-ranked school to increase their ranking when it is partly based on GPA/LSAT. How are you to get students to go there when people with higher credentials don't want to go there because it is low-ranked? Continuing cycle. I would say out of all the lower-ranked schools, Duquesne is one of the best and probably one of the ones that is unfairly treated. For example, U.S. News claimed one year it was based in part on library volumes - it is good to have books and do manual research, but they do have WestLaw and LexisNexis these days which you'd have to check ANYWAY to verify that it is the most current case law. Pocket parts are the snail mail of legal research.

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:45 pm

this student said that in 2007-2008 it was T3

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:51 pm

Maybe? That may have been because of the substantial increase in the first-time bar passage rate during that time.

Wactawshus

New

Post by Wactawshus » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:05 pm

Congrats Hope! Are you definitely going there in the fall?

As for the rankings I'm pretty sure that they've been a 4th tier school for a while now. Yes, the previous dean was fired, but it seemed to be a case of inter-school politics. I'm basing this off of a few articles I dug up. In the second article there is mention that he was let go because they remained in the 4th tier. This despite a number of improvements the school made under his watch.

This is the most recent & discusses the new dean's attempt to unify a divided faculty - http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11016/1118341-298.stm

This is an article discussing the actual event - http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08346/934386-298.stm

I don't know what to make of it, and I'm not sure it even matters in terms of their reputation around Pittsburgh. The new dean, Ken Gormley, does have a pretty impressive resume IMO.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:56 pm

Thanks for the congrats and I am still waiting to hear back from Pitt and if accepted to Pitt, I will make my decision then. If I am rejected by Pitt, I will definitely go and will post it here.

Yes, people have said it was because of a spat between the president and the former dean and whether that is true or not, I have no idea. Also, along that idea, I was pretty much told by someone I know in the legal field what the spat was basically about - in any case, I don't want to post it here. I feel that although it may be common knowledge, it might not be and I don't feel it is my place to go spreading it around.

I think overall, Duquesne is a good school and I wouldn't mind spending my legal education there. I think that the dean firing incident did cause some unneeded commotion at first, but it has become a faded memory to most now.

Are you definitely attending in the fall, Wactawshus?

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:25 pm

I'm in the exact same boat. Still waiting to hear from Pitt, and going to duq otherwise. I need to be in Pittsburgh to be with my fiance. So, I'll be mailing my check by Friday most likely. I've done tons of research, and talked to numerous current students and alumni. Nobody regrets attending, and everyone said that finding a job is up to you, but possible. Relocation throughout the region happens regularly, to real people I interviewed. So, I feel fine about it.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Good that you did your research and can tell me about it :D . I know that Duquesne claims to offer job placement. I have until April 21st to hear back from Pitt. Anyway, I know you received a scholarship, Solarae, so how long after your admit letter came did you get it? I know they called and admitted you - they just sent me an admit letter, so I'm wondering how long I am waiting. I have a 159, but I applied and was admitted to the PT Day Program and I know they're a lot more stingy with PT scholarships (ABA data).

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:09 am

I think I received the scholarship with my admit letter. I had a fantastic case for negotiations (more $ from higher ranked schools in the region and an honest need for aid) and they shot me down with no remorse. You should email Joe Campion directly asap about it, there's no reason to wait on that front. I don't think they have much money for it, which is lame. They don't have orientation or admitted student day or any of that, and they don't give out much for scholarships. I hope they plan on making up for it by providing nicely paid, happy professors and a CSO with a fat budget.

I spoke to another student this weekend who is about to graduate in the spring. He said CSO has been pretty bad for the past few years because the person who ran it got comfortable and lazy. She was replaced this year by someone who is doing 100% more work. The student I spoke to, whom I found randomly, got a job through one of the seminars the new director held. He had to do his own networking, but still made it happen. He was in the exact same position as us. He was on Pitt's waitlist and eventually got in. He told Duq, and Duq gave him a scholly. He went back to Pitt who didn't want to give him any money. So he chose Duq for financial reasons alone. He said that the only downfall he can find is that Pitt students get almost all the paid and unpaid summer internships. A regular firm might take the #1 Duq student, and then a full range of Pitt students without looking at Duq again. Other than that, a good resume, grades, and networking have a high potential to land you a job.
Last edited by solarae on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:10 am

ps your lsat is way over their 75 I believe, so write that email to Joe and don't be too nice!

Wactawshus

New

Post by Wactawshus » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:07 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Thanks for the congrats and I am still waiting to hear back from Pitt and if accepted to Pitt, I will make my decision then. If I am rejected by Pitt, I will definitely go and will post it here.

Yes, people have said it was because of a spat between the president and the former dean and whether that is true or not, I have no idea. Also, along that idea, I was pretty much told by someone I know in the legal field what the spat was basically about - in any case, I don't want to post it here. I feel that although it may be common knowledge, it might not be and I don't feel it is my place to go spreading it around.

I think overall, Duquesne is a good school and I wouldn't mind spending my legal education there. I think that the dean firing incident did cause some unneeded commotion at first, but it has become a faded memory to most now.

Are you definitely attending in the fall, Wactawshus?
Not definitely. I just got my acceptance letter last week but no mention of a scholarship. I'm very interested in visiting both Duquesne & Pittsburgh before I make any further decisions. I'm aware of their 4th tier ranking but I'm also aware of their reputation in Pittsburgh. If I don't receive a scholarship offer in the next week or so then I'm pretty sure I can't make it. I have a few offers from other schools w/ decent scholly money. Right now, because of my situation, financial obligations are at the forefront of my mind. I'm really hoping that they at least offer up something because Pittsburgh is a very attractive place to me for a myriad of reasons. I've never been there, and will definitely visit first, but I have a few close friends from the area who have nothing but good to say about it.

doubleL

New

Post by doubleL » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:35 am

In at duquesne last week. Probably attending for full time day this fall and very excited about it. Anyone else???

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:54 pm

I may, but I will be in the part-time day program.

Also, Solarae, thanks for the advice about negotiating aid. I will probably e-mail Joe Campion tomorrow. I will let you know the result.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”