Duquese University School of Law??

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:26 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
rad law wrote:
NorCalBruin wrote:How the hell do you pronounce Duquese?


Dewkane


Well done.

Anyway, Dusquene isn't hopeless and it is well recognized in Pittsburgh. While you can look at their transparency stats and think they aren't great, the truth is every single law firm has a Dusquene grad working for them and half the judges I applied to (I go to Pitt) graduated from Dusquene. With that said, Pitt is superior in the Pittsburgh area, thats kind of how i is here, but I would honestly say Dusquene is likely the best TTTT in the nation in terms of chances at a job within its region.



I had heard a lot about Dusquene being a really good TTTT. But its a TTTT. Also, to the person that said they wouldn't mind making 60k... thats for someone in top ten percent. 9 to 1 odds that you won't make top 10%. Of course, this one person could be an anomaly, it's just anecdotal evidence...


TTTT's are never great, but if you had to choose one with at least decent employment I think Dusquene is the best in the country. 60k however shouldn't be expected from ANY school, let alone Dusquene. People are fighting for 40k jobs right now.

HOPEFORCHANGE
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:32 pm

I don't care. I will make it either way. Why does everyone assume we won't have an economic boom in a few years anyway? Also, just for the record, the school is spelled "Duquesne." I noticed a lot of variations of spelling on here...

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:51 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:I don't care. I will make it either way. Why does everyone assume we won't have an economic boom in a few years anyway? Also, just for the record, the school is spelled "Duquesne." I noticed a lot of variations of spelling on here...


Spoken like a true 0L with no idea of what the market is like and what it projects to be like in the next 5 years. Good luck, you'll need it.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:30 pm

If the economy is -pre-recession booming in 3 years, thats too late for you. You'd already be stuck in a shit law job and there is virtually NO upward mobility in the law firm world.

Yes yes you are going to hang out your shingle, elbow grease, boot straps. Very good, carry on.

HOPEFORCHANGE
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:40 pm

No I won't. Who says I will be a lawyer? I may be a lawyer or I may be something that utilizes my JD degree and is not actually a lawyer...assuming I get in. I don't think you're correct about there not being upward mobility, but whatever, perhaps you're an expert on legal jobs. By the way, we're no longer considered to be in recession anyway - people just aren't hiring too much yet. How do you know anyway that I don't already have experience in the legal field and am already moving up? No, you don't.

Well, no wonder people can't get jobs when they sit around and whine about starting out too low and expect everything to be handed to them because they worked so hard to get all those A's in law school. Learn the game and if you can't get a job and sit around in a "shit law job" forever, perhaps you're not a good lawyer anyway because you're not convincing. I am done with this argument though.

Also, this is the rule for this forum:

"This forum is called "Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists". It is clearly for people who wish to discuss acceptances, denials, and waitlists. If you're sharing news or looking for news on an acceptance, denial, or waitlist, then this forum is for you.

If you've already been accepted and shared the details of that, and want to discuss or weigh your options, you should try to have those discussions in the "Choosing a Law School" forum or threads dedicated to already-admitted students. You will probably get much better responses there.

Discussion between applicants is fine, but this forum is NOT the place to argue or debate which law schools are worth attending and under what circumstances. The threads here typically involve people who have already decided to apply and are seeking or sharing news on the state of their applications. You and them and everyone else are all free to discuss whether or not attending is a good idea in the appropriate forum, not here.

Starting or perpetuating arguments here about whether a school is worth attending may be deemed trolling and get you banned."

So, not that I didn't contribute to this argument in the first place, but if we could please just discuss getting into/rejected from Duquesne, etc. that'd be good.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:05 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:No I won't. Who says I will be a lawyer? I may be a lawyer or I may be something that utilizes my JD degree and is not actually a lawyer...assuming I get in. I don't think you're correct about there not being upward mobility, but whatever, perhaps you're an expert on legal jobs. By the way, we're no longer considered to be in recession anyway - people just aren't hiring too much yet. How do you know anyway that I don't already have experience in the legal field and am already moving up? No, you don't.

Well, no wonder people can't get jobs when they sit around and whine about starting out too low and expect everything to be handed to them because they worked so hard to get all those A's in law school. Learn the game and if you can't get a job and sit around in a "shit law job" forever, perhaps you're not a good lawyer anyway because you're not convincing. I am done with this argument though.

Also, this is the rule for this forum:

"This forum is called "Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists". It is clearly for people who wish to discuss acceptances, denials, and waitlists. If you're sharing news or looking for news on an acceptance, denial, or waitlist, then this forum is for you.

If you've already been accepted and shared the details of that, and want to discuss or weigh your options, you should try to have those discussions in the "Choosing a Law School" forum or threads dedicated to already-admitted students. You will probably get much better responses there.

Discussion between applicants is fine, but this forum is NOT the place to argue or debate which law schools are worth attending and under what circumstances. The threads here typically involve people who have already decided to apply and are seeking or sharing news on the state of their applications. You and them and everyone else are all free to discuss whether or not attending is a good idea in the appropriate forum, not here.

Starting or perpetuating arguments here about whether a school is worth attending may be deemed trolling and get you banned."

So, not that I didn't contribute to this argument in the first place, but if we could please just discuss getting into/rejected from Duquesne, etc. that'd be good.



I <3 the fact that your post consists of this:

1. "Off topic stuff"
2. Rules of board stating that the conversation should not be "off topic stuff."

I think I will get into ducain. Better?

Now lets do a blow by blow:


No I won't. Who says I will be a lawyer? I may be a lawyer or I may be something that utilizes my JD degree and is not actually a lawyer...assuming I get in.


The idea that a J.D. can get you a non-lawyer job is for, the most part, a myth.

I don't think you're correct about there not being upward mobility, but whatever, perhaps you're an expert on legal jobs.
I'm some one in law school, looking at the job market. You are not. I have a mentor who works at a biglaw law firm. You do not. I regularily interact with practicing attorneys. You do not. So, for all intents and purpose, I am an expert on legal jobs, compared to you anyway.

By the way, we're no longer considered to be in recession anyway - people just aren't hiring too much yet.
Oh, so technically, we are not in a recession, but people are not hiring. So... we're being lied to? Not sure what your point is.

How do you know anyway that I don't already have experience in the legal field...
Because everything you said has been objectively false

..and am already moving up?

Because you can't move up. Big Firms hire two ways: Summer Associates from law school, and laterals. There is no moving up. You think that if you slave away chasing ambulances, a firm that works with multi-million dollar clients is going to head hunt you? They won't even accept your application.

No, you don't.
What? I'm not sure that was the correct way to answer your hypothetical question.
Last edited by Nicholasnickynic on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

HOPEFORCHANGE
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:11 pm

Yeah, I was annoyed and conceded I contributed to this - but moving forward, let's talk about being accepted or denied at Duquesne. Thanks

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:No I won't. Who says I will be a lawyer? I may be a lawyer or I may be something that utilizes my JD degree and is not actually a lawyer...assuming I get in. I don't think you're correct about there not being upward mobility, but whatever, perhaps you're an expert on legal jobs. By the way, we're no longer considered to be in recession anyway - people just aren't hiring too much yet. How do you know anyway that I don't already have experience in the legal field and am already moving up? No, you don't.

Well, no wonder people can't get jobs when they sit around and whine about starting out too low and expect everything to be handed to them because they worked so hard to get all those A's in law school. Learn the game and if you can't get a job and sit around in a "shit law job" forever, perhaps you're not a good lawyer anyway because you're not convincing. I am done with this argument though.

Also, this is the rule for this forum:

"This forum is called "Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists". It is clearly for people who wish to discuss acceptances, denials, and waitlists. If you're sharing news or looking for news on an acceptance, denial, or waitlist, then this forum is for you.

If you've already been accepted and shared the details of that, and want to discuss or weigh your options, you should try to have those discussions in the "Choosing a Law School" forum or threads dedicated to already-admitted students. You will probably get much better responses there.

Discussion between applicants is fine, but this forum is NOT the place to argue or debate which law schools are worth attending and under what circumstances. The threads here typically involve people who have already decided to apply and are seeking or sharing news on the state of their applications. You and them and everyone else are all free to discuss whether or not attending is a good idea in the appropriate forum, not here.

Starting or perpetuating arguments here about whether a school is worth attending may be deemed trolling and get you banned."

So, not that I didn't contribute to this argument in the first place, but if we could please just discuss getting into/rejected from Duquesne, etc. that'd be good.



I <3 the fact that your post consists of this:

1. "Off topic stuff"
2. Rules of board stating that the conversation should not be "off topic stuff."

I think I will get into ducain. Better?

Now lets do a blow by blow:


No I won't. Who says I will be a lawyer? I may be a lawyer or I may be something that utilizes my JD degree and is not actually a lawyer...assuming I get in.


The idea that a J.D. can get you a non-lawyer job is for, the most part, a myth.

I don't think you're correct about there not being upward mobility, but whatever, perhaps you're an expert on legal jobs.
I'm some one in law school, looking at the job market. You are not. I have a mentor who works at a biglaw law firm. You do not. I regularily interact with practicing attorneys. You do not. So, for all intents and purpose, I am an expert on legal jobs, compared to you anyway.

By the way, we're no longer considered to be in recession anyway - people just aren't hiring too much yet.
Oh, so technically, we are not in a recession, but people are not hiring. So... we're being lied to? Not sure what your point is.

How do you know anyway that I don't already have experience in the legal field...
Because everything you said has been objectively false

..and am already moving up?

Because you can't move up. Big Firms hire two ways: Summer Associates from law school, and laterals. There is no moving up. You think that if you slave away chasing ambulances, a firm that works with multi-million dollar clients is going to head hunt you? They won't even accept your application.

No, you don't.
What? I'm not sure that was the correct way to answer your hypothetical question.


Pretty much all of this is accurate to be honest.

I'm not trying to be a douche, but 0L's really should listen to current law students who still visit these forums to try and help those who are in the same situation they once were in. Point is, everything written here is true, you can think you'll be the exception but statistics say you wont. I am currently a 1L at Pitt with very good grades and if you told me today that I am guaranteed to get a 60k job I would be jumping for joy. Yes, the market is that bad right now and projects to be for years and years.

HOPEFORCHANGE
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:25 pm

Love how you make assumptions. I have legal experience and work in a law office three times a week in addition to my full-time job. I have a few mentors who are lawyers and we're done here. Create a post elsewhere in an appropriate forum and we'll talk if you really feel the need to moan about this. I'd be pretty annoyed if I was looking for acceptance info and saw this discussion.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19639
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby dailygrind » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:47 am

To anyone arguing: leave the thread alone and let it attempt to fulfill its original purpose.

To any Duquesne admits/applicants: feel free to keep using this thread, but if you want to start another one now since this one's veered pretty far off course, you should feel free to do so. Let a mod know and we'll lock this one to prevent redundancy.

User avatar
aknecht
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:10 am

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby aknecht » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:30 pm

well this thread turned to absolute shit.... but I got in yesterday. 161, 3.2ugpa, 3.5 major gpa. I won't be attending

HOPEFORCHANGE
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:37 pm

They called you on a Saturday and let you in?

HOPEFORCHANGE
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:42 pm

Wait, I just thought that perhaps you got in snail mail? So, is that it, you received a letter yesterday? Also, when did you apply? Thanks.

User avatar
aknecht
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:10 am

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby aknecht » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Wait, I just thought that perhaps you got in snail mail? So, is that it, you received a letter yesterday? Also, when did you apply? Thanks.


yes, got it in the actual mail. I applied ~Jan 12th.

HOPEFORCHANGE
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:04 pm

Well, congrats, even though you don't want to go there.

User avatar
aknecht
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:10 am

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby aknecht » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:15 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Well, congrats, even though you don't want to go there.


not a matter of want, just better ranked schools that have given me $$$$

HOPEFORCHANGE
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:19 pm

Cool, Duquesne usually sends scholarship info about a week or two after admittance from what I have researched. Anyway, I hope you enjoy where you go.

solarae
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby solarae » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:58 am

I'm looking forward to my scholarship letter. It's sort of my PItt backup since I really need to be in the area. yay!

HOPEFORCHANGE
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:02 am

Did they tell you when they called that you were definitely getting one or just that they were sending out any scholly letters within a couple weeks? Thanks

solarae
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby solarae » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:04 am

I asked and was told that I definitely "qualify for something" and I think he said 2 weeks via mail.

HOPEFORCHANGE
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:06 am

Hmmm...so if admitted, one should inquire about money. Thanks :D I am still not counting any chickens...at all.

solarae
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby solarae » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:23 pm

I got a 12k offer in the mail today. It's not enough, but I hope to negotiate within the next few weeks. I really want to be in pittsburgh so this offer is exciting for me, because now it's closer to being possible. :)

HOPEFORCHANGE
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:25 pm

Congrats, I'm still waiting for a decision. Hopefully they will let me know soon. I went UR for Pitt today anyway. I have no idea where I am with Duquesne. I will call them next week if I don't hear anything this week.

HOPEFORCHANGE
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:39 pm

Wow, Duquesne is really starting to worry me. I applied on 1/20 and as alum (twice) and being several points over their 75th percentile LSAT, I wonder why they can't just tell me one way or another. This waiting on law school decisions stress is driving me bonkers.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:11 am

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Wow, Duquesne is really starting to worry me. I applied on 1/20 and as alum (twice) and being several points over their 75th percentile LSAT, I wonder why they can't just tell me one way or another. This waiting on law school decisions stress is driving me bonkers.


you applied twice? Or have two degrees?

If you are over their 75th on LSAT, they might by YPing you.
Did you mention how you wanted to go to Duquense in your PS or do a Why Duquesne essay? If not, and its been a while since it applied, I don't think it would hurt to e-mail them and say how you are excited about the oppurtunity to attend etc etc... Like do a LOCI. I mean its usually for people on the WL who have been YPed, but you could do it as a pre-emptive strike of sorts.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, JazzyMac, l3g@l33s3, Majestic-12 [Bot], potatocowpower, Rich Uncle Skeleton, Snowjon and 12 guests