Duquese University School of Law??

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PAlaw

Duquese University School of Law??

Postby PAlaw » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:48 pm

Don't know if many people are looking at Duquesne law but just wondering if anyone's heard anything?

HOPEFORCHANGE

Re: Duquese University School of Law??

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:34 am

Not me. I called the office and they told me they were still waiting for my law school reports from CAS

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:04 am

Hey, just throwing out some advice. I have a buddy who just graduated last year and he was top 10% and could not land a job even though he interned at a biglaw office in Pittsburgh at the end of his 2L. That firm hired a few individuals but none of which came from Duquesne at the end of his 3L. Though he had this on his resume and networked like crazy, he ended up about 2 months ago taking a job that will pay him 60k a year. I don't know, but I would def. think about applying to Pitt because in a small market with limit jobs, it looks like Duquesne kids are taking a hit.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:27 am

twairlines wrote:Hey, just throwing out some advice. I have a buddy who just graduated last year and he was top 10% and could not land a job even though he interned at a biglaw office in Pittsburgh at the end of his 2L. That firm hired a few individuals but none of which came from Duquesne at the end of his 3L. Though he had this on his resume and networked like crazy, he ended up about 2 months ago taking a job that will pay him 60k a year. I don't know, but I would def. think about applying to Pitt because in a small market with limit jobs, it looks like Duquesne kids are taking a hit.

Although they're first place in the Atlantic 10 right now, YOWZA!

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:44 am

haha...Double YOWZA!!

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:34 pm

I a
rad law wrote:
twairlines wrote:Hey, just throwing out some advice. I have a buddy who just graduated last year and he was top 10% and could not land a job even though he interned at a biglaw office in Pittsburgh at the end of his 2L. That firm hired a few individuals but none of which came from Duquesne at the end of his 3L. Though he had this on his resume and networked like crazy, he ended up about 2 months ago taking a job that will pay him 60k a year. I don't know, but I would def. think about applying to Pitt because in a small market with limit jobs, it looks like Duquesne kids are taking a hit.

I applied to both. I like them both for different reasons. I am not going to say on here which one is my first choice, though. Anyway, 60K a year is fine with me if I can't do better. It is better than 30K a year.

Also, OP, I believe Duquesne usually takes a month at this point in the cycle to decide once they have everything. I think it can be shorter if they really want you and longer if you're sort of a waitlist type of applicant (not that you're actually waitlisted, but they're just not floored by your app). Best of luck to both of us.

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:46 pm

rad law wrote:

Though, they did get rocked by mighty St. Bonaventure their last game....

solarae

Postby solarae » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:57 pm

didn't get an email confirmation or anything. a week after ishould have been complete i called to confirm and they said they had everything. i wish they would show more interest in my application with an email or letter.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:13 pm

They sent me a postcard saying they had received my app. Anyway, I think Duquesne does snail mail, so I don't think it is lack of interest.

solarae

Postby solarae » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:47 pm

well i still haven't received my postcard and i'm officially turned off. anyone know if they are liberal with scholarhips? It's way too expensive , given what people are saying about starting salaries. but i realllly want to be in pittsburgh and i am on the low end for upitt.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:29 pm

Well, according to lawschoolnumbers they aren't liberal with scholarships. I don't really know, I'd say try to get endowed ones or outsides one if they don't give it to you. I don't really know why they do or do not give scholarships. It seems it is more likely with a better LSAT score, but that's no guarantee either (according to lawschoolnumbers). I saw someone last year on lawschoolnumbers who get rejected from Duquesne with an LSAT that was above their 75th percentile but then got into Pitt. There is always WVU too but it's a lot of gas depending on where you live in Pittsburgh/Allegheny county.

People who attend Duquesne who I have talked to mostly like it.

By the way- did you read their website about how they want transcripts not sent from LSDAS but from your school directly to them? Sorry if this is something you already knew but just trying to make sure you get it all in.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:40 pm

Pitt >>> Duquesne

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

If you look on most firms' websites in the city, Pitt is well represented. It is rare to find Duquesne grads, particularly ones that have graduated in the last ten years.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:48 pm

I guess you have to make due with the cards you're dealth....

People get jobs - at smaller firms. Plus Duquesne grads take care of Duquesne grads. I get what you're saying, but some people can't get into Pitt, some people want a Catholic education in Pittsburgh, etc. It might take more work, but I don't think a Duquesne education equals unemployment forever. I think the rankings are too hard on Duquesne

solarae

Re: Duquesne University School of Law??

Postby solarae » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:31 pm

aww i can't be mad, just got in via phone call. said scholarships will come in the mail in 2 weeks. that'll determine everything, but to be honest I'm barely considering this school. I doubt they'll give me enough to make a difference.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:19 pm

Congrats! When did you send out your app if you don't mind me asking?

solarae

Postby solarae » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:06 pm

thank you! I sent it on 1/29.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:51 pm

Still waiting on mine...I applied 1/21 but they sort of informed me when I called they were waiting on the February LSAT score since I was signed up. I'm sick, so I am not retaking. My score is Pitt-like, if you know what I mean, so hopefully everyone (the three schools to which I applied) will understand I'm sick when I send them my letters tomorrow informing them I am not retaking on Saturday.

But thanks for the info, I guess that means it could be any time now for me. If you do end up deciding to go to Duquesne, one thing I KNOW about it that is good is that it makes you a stronger, more ethical person. By this, I don't mean they preach Catholicism. They don't at all. It is a liberal Catholic university. I am not Catholic either - but I guess you just have to see what I mean if you go. It does have its good points and I think rankings are overrated.

Hopefully I won't get mad at Duquesne because they decide they don't think I am a good fit for them or something. You know, it's hard not to get a bit upset if you get rejected somewhere. I'd get over it though I suppose. I just want to go to law school and I have three places that I've picked....

PittsEsq

Postby PittsEsq » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:09 pm

You applied to DUQ January 29th and they called you to tell you that you were accepted the other day???
Dude I sent my application November 1st and I'm still waiting. 155 LSAT, 3.76 GPA as honor student in philosophy at 5th ranked in the subject Pitt for ugrad, and I even met with the Dean of Admissions.

W
T
F

Oh, and I was denied at Pitt, and accepted at WVU, Cleveland State Marshall, Akron and Widener. All months ago.

solarae

Postby solarae » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:54 pm

have you followed up recently?

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:07 pm

How the hell do you pronounce Duquese?

jdhakert

Postby jdhakert » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:08 pm

if Pitt, then Pitt

/thread

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:08 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:How the hell do you pronounce Duquese?

Dewkane

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:48 pm

rad law wrote:

Dewkane

Well done.

Anyway, Dusquene isn't hopeless and it is well recognized in Pittsburgh. While you can look at their transparency stats and think they aren't great, the truth is every single law firm has a Dusquene grad working for them and half the judges I applied to (I go to Pitt) graduated from Dusquene. With that said, Pitt is superior in the Pittsburgh area, thats kind of how i is here, but I would honestly say Dusquene is likely the best TTTT in the nation in terms of chances at a job within its region.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:07 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
rad law wrote:

Dewkane

Well done.

Anyway, Dusquene isn't hopeless and it is well recognized in Pittsburgh. While you can look at their transparency stats and think they aren't great, the truth is every single law firm has a Dusquene grad working for them and half the judges I applied to (I go to Pitt) graduated from Dusquene. With that said, Pitt is superior in the Pittsburgh area, thats kind of how i is here, but I would honestly say Dusquene is likely the best TTTT in the nation in terms of chances at a job within its region.

I had heard a lot about Dusquene being a really good TTTT. But its a TTTT. Also, to the person that said they wouldn't mind making 60k... thats for someone in top ten percent. 9 to 1 odds that you won't make top 10%. Of course, this one person could be an anomaly, it's just anecdotal evidence...

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:13 pm

9 to 1 odds overall. Not for me. I will succeed wherever I go.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”