Arizona State vs. Arizona

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
UtahPhi

Arizona State vs. Arizona

Postby UtahPhi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:48 am

Recently the thought of well over 300 days of sunshine and ample warmth has greatly grown on me. I've done a bit of research about both Arizona schools, and I just wondered what the job prospects were for each school within the state, as well as which school would travel better on the off-chance I want to move back to Utah for work.

I realize Arizona has held the higher ranking for longer, but I was curious about what effect/if any, Arizona State's leap in the rankings will have.

Capitol A

Re: Arizona State vs. Arizona

Postby Capitol A » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:43 pm

UtahPhi wrote:Recently the thought of well over 300 days of sunshine and ample warmth has greatly grown on me. I've done a bit of research about both Arizona schools, and I just wondered what the job prospects were for each school within the state, as well as which school would travel better on the off-chance I want to move back to Utah for work.

I realize Arizona has held the higher ranking for longer, but I was curious about what effect/if any, Arizona State's leap in the rankings will have.

In favor of Arizona:
Generally speaking UofA is a more respected academic institution. ASU is known as a party school, and true or not, that reputation spills over to the law school as well. While ASU did jump in the ranks last year, most people don't even know that, and they could very well fall again. ASU is drastically increasing the size of their 1L class in the next few years in order to try to raise money. UofA's campus is much nicer. The total student population at the university is significantly smaller, and the campus is smaller and prettier; a lot of brick buildings, grass, and trees. This may not seem like a big deal, depending on where you live, but after 3yrs in AZ, grass and any tree over 4 feet tall will seem beautiful to you.
In favor of ASU:
ASU is the only law school in one of the Nation's largest metropolitan areas (unless you count Phoenix S.O.L.), and the state's capitol. This means tremendous networking opportunities. Although their attempt to raise money was mentioned as a negative above, this influx of money is proposed to be used for building a new law schoolat the ASU downtown Campus, which may not help youin the next 3 years, but certainly shows that they are investing in the future of the law school. Also, Tempe is a pretty fun place, and Phoenix has a ton to offer during your limited free time. As a lifelong AZ resident, I can tell you that Tucson is horrible. Just to avoid anyone correcting me, I admit, there are nice parts of Tucson, but in general Tucson is a dump with much higher crime rates than any other part of Arizona.

Anyway...This is my $.02. Like I said, I have lived in Phoenix my entire life, so if there are specific things you would like to know about either area, let me know.

yabuddy

Postby yabuddy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:34 pm

Thats a very helpful post capitol

I haven't heard back yet from either school, I'm an RD applicant, but these are two of the top schools on my list. It sounds as though you think U of A is looked upon as a better school. As far as career prospects go, does it hurt the school since its located in Tuscon? ASU is obviously more accessible to firms in the Phoenix area, but do all these firms make their way to U of A also? And in your opinion what is the one biggest difference between the schools?

Thanks for your help, it is appreciated

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:56 pm

UofA certainly has more lay prestige, for whatever that is worth. It's true ASU enjoys better direct access to a good size market in Phoenix. I have heard of some of the phx firms doing OCI at UofA, and while Tucson is certainly much smaller than Phoenix, it is not a small town. I'm not sure of the exact population, but it's decent, and there is a ton of money in the foothills area.
The truth is that don't actually know anything first hand about either law school. Your best bet is probably to look at both schools' placement numbers. The numbers for the class of 2010 should be coming out soon. Also, take a look at the clinics and externships offered by each, they are similar but not identical.
Personally, I don't see a tremendous difference between the 2. I applied to asu but not UofA because of location. Like I said, Tucson is really not a very nice place, and the more direct access to the Phoenix market at ASU put it over the edge for me.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:59 pm

UtahPhi wrote:Recently the thought of well over 300 days of sunshine and ample warmth has greatly grown on me. I've done a bit of research about both Arizona schools, and I just wondered what the job prospects were for each school within the state, as well as which school would travel better on the off-chance I want to move back to Utah for work.

There is NO meaningful difference between the schools WRT job prospects in Arizona. None at all, zip/0 nada/not one bit/not a single drop/not even a pinprick/no not even the tip, not even just a little. Firms in Arizona will never, ever care about the relative rankings of the 2 schools unless they were like 50 spots apart. Giving preference to one or the other would be guaranteed to piss off a partner that was an alum.

My money would be on Tempe, three years there would be bliss pretty much.

That being said, U of A travels slightly better.

Plan2008

Postby Plan2008 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:01 pm

Capitol A wrote:UofA certainly has more lay prestige, for whatever that is worth. It's true ASU enjoys better direct access to a good size market in Phoenix. I have heard of some of the phx firms doing OCI at UofA, and while Tucson is certainly much smaller than Phoenix, it is not a small town. I'm not sure of the exact population, but it's decent, and there is a ton of money in the foothills area.
The truth is that don't actually know anything first hand about either law school. Your best bet is probably to look at both schools' placement numbers. The numbers for the class of 2010 should be coming out soon. Also, take a look at the clinics and externships offered by each, they are similar but not identical.
Personally, I don't see a tremendous difference between the 2. I applied to asu but not UofA because of location. Like I said, Tucson is really not a very nice place, and the more direct access to the Phoenix market at ASU put it over the edge for me.

The good thing about Tucson is that it is only about 100 miles from Phoenix. :P

Preemptively to all the Tucsonites, I heart Tucson, blah blah blah.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”