Mercer 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
csmith

Re: Mercer 2011

Postby csmith » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:25 pm

Did anyone recieve scholarship money from Mercer with 156/3.56 or around there?

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:28 pm

ggocat wrote:I recently graduated from Mercer Law; happy to answer questions.

ggocat was very helpful and gave great detail in responding to my questions (via PM). Thanks!

txag10

Postby txag10 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:48 pm

I emailed Mercer today about my application (its been complete since 1/7) and they said it is under review without a decision today; it could be 2-3 more weeks. That's a bit long, given many deposits are due at the start of April and I'm making visits during March to schools, but I'm not going to withdraw because Mercer is in-state tuition for me. Ugh.

millardtime

Postby millardtime » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:53 pm

txag10 wrote:I emailed Mercer today about my application (its been complete since 1/7) and they said it is under review without a decision today; it could be 2-3 more weeks. That's a bit long, given many deposits are due at the start of April and I'm making visits during March to schools, but I'm not going to withdraw because Mercer is in-state tuition for me. Ugh.

? Mercer is a private school. Unless someone receives a scholarship, it's $35,695/year whether you live in Rome, Georgia or Rome, Italy.

txag10

Postby txag10 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:55 pm

millardtime wrote:
txag10 wrote:I emailed Mercer today about my application (its been complete since 1/7) and they said it is under review without a decision today; it could be 2-3 more weeks. That's a bit long, given many deposits are due at the start of April and I'm making visits during March to schools, but I'm not going to withdraw because Mercer is in-state tuition for me. Ugh.

? Mercer is a private school. Unless someone receives a scholarship, it's $35,695/year whether you live in Rome, Georgia or Rome, Italy.

Hahaha whoops. Don't I feel like a moron. Oh well. Texas education.

kid charlemagne

Postby kid charlemagne » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:49 am

Does Mercer offer admission through status checker or mail?

BamaGrad09

Postby BamaGrad09 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:38 am

If you're accepted, you'll get an email.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:44 am

kid charlemagne wrote:Does Mercer offer admission through status checker or mail?

Status checker was updated four days before my first email came in

thedive

Postby thedive » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:44 pm

csmith wrote:Did anyone recieve scholarship money from Mercer with 156/3.56 or around there?

I had a 162 and 3.4 which only got me 15k per year, no stips besides good academic standing. I've already made a deposit to another school before hearing this so didn't really matter to me, but personally there is no way I would have dropped 20k a year for tuition at Mercer.

millardtime

Postby millardtime » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:13 pm

I don't have too much to base this off of, but it seems to me that Mercer is being a lot more stingy with scholarship money this year. Guess it's just a sign of the times.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:22 pm

thedive wrote:
csmith wrote:Did anyone recieve scholarship money from Mercer with 156/3.56 or around there?

I had a 162 and 3.4 which only got me 15k per year, no stips besides good academic standing. I've already made a deposit to another school before hearing this so didn't really matter to me, but personally there is no way I would have dropped 20k a year for tuition at Mercer.

Yikes I'm considerably below those so I'll assume little to no money is going to be offered. Oh well, I was happy to get in.

thedive

Postby thedive » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:10 pm

txadv11 wrote:
thedive wrote:

Yikes I'm considerably below those so I'll assume little to no money is going to be offered. Oh well, I was happy to get in.

For what it is worth I did apply like 12 days or so past the Jan. 1st deadline for priority scholarship consideration. Not sure if this had a substantial impact or not though.

kitchuel

Postby kitchuel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:40 pm

txag10 wrote:I emailed Mercer today about my application (its been complete since 1/7) and they said it is under review without a decision today; it could be 2-3 more weeks.

Lame. I've been in review since 1/27, guess I shouldn't expect to hear anything soon. I'm bummed Mercer is my top choice!

sstufken

Postby sstufken » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:24 pm

millardtime wrote:Did anybody else do the Woodruff essay? If I could pull a full ride, I'd definitely choose Mercer.

I actually did not do the essay but I got a full ride anyway through an email sent yesterday!

anyone going to the scholarship recipient reception March 26 then asw on the 27th? I haven't decided for sure if I plan to attend Mercer, but the idea of a full ride is very persuasive.

btw, I had a 163 and 3.32 (but my personal statement explained the low gpa & I had a very much upward grade progression)

Rooney

Postby Rooney » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:41 pm

sstufken wrote:
millardtime wrote:Did anybody else do the Woodruff essay? If I could pull a full ride, I'd definitely choose Mercer.

I actually did not do the essay but I got a full ride anyway through an email sent yesterday!

anyone going to the scholarship recipient reception March 26 then asw on the 27th? I haven't decided for sure if I plan to attend Mercer, but the idea of a full ride is very persuasive.

btw, I had a 163 and 3.32 (but my personal statement explained the low gpa & I had a very much upward grade progression)

Congrats! Mercer with a full ride is awesome. I'm going to the ASW on the 27th

sstufken

Postby sstufken » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:41 pm

Rooney wrote:
sstufken wrote:

Congrats! Mercer with a full ride is awesome. I'm going to the ASW on the 27th

Thank you! Okay awesome, I'm pretty excited. Mercer's staff is probably the nicest out of all the law schools I've had contact with! And super generous- on the scholarship letter, they also offered to pay for hotel accommodations & airfare/gas. Definitely adds to their appeal

taraknits

Postby taraknits » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:26 pm

Wow on the full ride, sstufken! I negotiated and got an extra $5,000/yr... so that puts Mercer at the tip top of my list! See you guys ASW!

chardy

Postby chardy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:18 am

How exactly did you go about negotiating for more money? I wanted to do the same because $5000 more a year would basically solidify me choosing Mercer.

Rooney

Postby Rooney » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:35 am

ggocat was very helpful and shared this with me (it's on another Mercer thread somewhere). Anyway, this was very helpful for me:

"Pros

1. Mercer has a small class size.
I knew everyone in my class by face, and I knew most of them by name. I think this promoted a congenial atmosphere. Everyone was eager to help everyone else. People didn't hoard outlines or old exam answers. These things were pretty easy to obtain from classmates and from 2Ls and 3Ls (and it was easy to figure out who was not a 1L because of the small class size). Maybe people just like they belonged to one big group. Or maybe people were concerned with reputation--that is, nobody wanted to be known as "That guy who doesn't share notes/outlines." I think the small class size also made people less cliquish.

2. The professors are awesome.
I found that the Princeton Review rankings were very representative of the actual atmosphere at Mercer. PR uses student satisfaction surveys to come up with their rankings, and Mercer profs consistently rank high. In the surveys I have links for, Mercer ranked #1 for "most accessible professors" and #16 for "best teaching faculties." http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... rev-3.html and http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... lties.html.

Almost all profs have an "open door" policy--you are free to stop by any time throughout the day to chat about class, jobs, the weather, whatever. Most of my profs also offered a perfect blend in the classroom of real-world practical application and thought-provoking ("teaching you to think like a lawyer") discussion. Some people I worked with over the summer were really amazed that my civil procedure class actually drafted a complaint and an answer and prepared the forms necessary to serve the documents on opposing counsel.

But the profs don't just teach--they helped me with the job search. The only reason I got the internship with a U.S. court of appeals judge was because one of my profs made a phone call. And another prof helped me arrange a lunch with some biglaw partners a few months ago. I knew a few other people who got jobs directly through professor recommendations.

Finally, they like to kick back and hang out with students outside class. A few of my profs took the (small section) classes out for lunch, and one of my adjuncts took us out for dinner and drinks. There's also a faculty-student band that plays a few events every year to raise money for public interest stipends, a faculty chili cook off for students to "grade" the professors, and countless other random events throughout the year.

3. The legal writing program is stellar.
As you may know, U.S. News ranks the legal writing program highly every year. This doesn't help directly with your initial employment prospects, but you will be amazed when you are out of law school how important this skill is and how deficient most lawyers are at legal writing. I think the writing program at Mercer prepared me well.

The program is taught by tenure and tenure-track professors, contrary to many other schools that utilize fellowship professors (one- or two-year appointments, recent grads) or clinical professors (often adjuncts or low-paid, term appointments). Many schools often let 3Ls do much of the work for these courses. At Mercer, I was confident that someone who was really devoted to legal writing and was an excellent legal writer was teaching the course.

I said it wouldn't help you get a job directly, but the program does help somewhat by giving Mercer a positive name among employers who are "in the know" about legal writing. For example, one of the judges at my court was very familiar with Mercer because she had attended a multi-day seminar on legal writing at the school. She spoke very favorably of the seminar and the professors.

A minor drawback about the legal writing program is that you don't produce a legal writing sample during the first semester. Most schools have their legal writing classes in the first two semesters, but Mercer stretches it out over three semesters. In the first semester, Mercer students primarily learn how to do legal research and analysis, and they are gradually introduced to the general formats for writing different types of documents. This provides a great overview, but there is no opportunity to produce a writing sample until the second semester. Some people are frustrated because 1L summer job hunting can be easier if you have a writing sample. This wasn't a problem for me, though--I accepted judicial internships in December before having a legal writing sample (and even before having grades).

Cons

1. High tuition
I think Mercer's tuition is a bit on the high side at roughly $35k/year. That's a significant chunk of change! I was lucky enough to get a good scholarship to Mercer, but the total price tag for others is pretty steep.

2. Plummeting U.S. News Rank
Mercer had been ranked in the top 100 for about 5 years, but it recently fell into the third tier. Meanwhile, Georgia State (which was ranked lower than Mercer when I was applying to schools) has soared into the 60s. I don't think U.S. News is representative of job prospects, especially outside of Atlanta. Mercer and Georgia State are basically peer schools as far as the employment numbers go, and you can do an advanced search on Martindale.com to see that Mercer generally places more grads throughout the state than Georgia State. But I think the administration's lack of a concerted effort to improve the school's reputation means that the school will likely not jump over Georgia State in the near future. I understand that Mercer has made recent efforts to improve its reputation, though.

Neutral

Location in Macon, Georgia.

Pro: It's a quiet, Southern town with a lot of charm, but there are things to do no matter what you like (e.g., outdoor recreation, movies, bars, a few clubs, a great gym on the undergrad campus, a decent basketball team, and apparently they're reviving the football team). The proximity to Atlanta is perfect, in my opinion. It's close enough so a day trip is very reasonable, but you don't need to deal with the traffic or higher cost of living. Cost of living was super cheap--my wife and I had a two-bedroom apartment with 1250 square feet for under $700/month (including pet fee), and we were located about one mile from the law school and two blocks from the undergrad campus and a city park.

Con: Poor city planning (well, it's an old city), so you will often find yourself sitting in traffic or multiple stop lights. The layout of the city is strange so it's not always easy/convenient to get to different parts. Some parts of the city have a high crime rate--the CVS I shopped at was robbed twice at gunpoint."

JayHo7284

Postby JayHo7284 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:28 pm

Those are my exact numbers and I haven't heard anything about scholarship money. I emailed Marilyn Sutton a few weeks back and she told me that all of the scholarships are going to be handed out by March 1. I got a few scholarships to other schools and tried using them as leverage to negotiate a scholarship and she basically said if I wanted a scholarship to go to one of the schools I received a scholarship from.

Champion of the Sun

Postby Champion of the Sun » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:53 pm

In today via status checker. 156, 3.24.

txag10

Postby txag10 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:28 pm

In today via status checker. Most likely not attending unless they give me some sort of scholarship.

jsimp

Postby jsimp » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:55 am

txag10 wrote:In today via status checker. Most likely not attending unless they give me some sort of scholarship.

Did your application ever go into review?

snooch

Postby snooch » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:01 am

Champion of the Sun wrote:In today via status checker. 156, 3.24.

txag10 wrote:In today via status checker. Most likely not attending unless they give me some sort of scholarship.

Congratulations guys. When did you go complete? I've been hanging out since mid January, and I'm getting awfully antsy!

sstufken

Postby sstufken » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:16 am

snooch wrote:
Champion of the Sun wrote:In today via status checker. 156, 3.24.

Congratulations guys. When did you go complete? I've been hanging out since mid January, and I'm getting awfully antsy!

I'm sure you will hear from them soon; I applied mid to late January and heard back late February via email (and was notified about scholarship stuff about 2 weeks after that).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”