Mercer 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TheTopBloke

Bronze

Re: Mercer 2011

Post by TheTopBloke » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:28 am

WarEagle3 wrote:Been complete since 1/7 and still no movement.. this is getting ridiculous! :x
I've been complete since mid-november. I'm considering withdrawing my app.

txag10

Bronze

Post by txag10 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:31 am

jsimp wrote:
txag10 wrote:In today via status checker. Most likely not attending unless they give me some sort of scholarship.
Did your application ever go into review?
No it was random.

atlantisdan

New

Post by atlantisdan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:15 am

Accepted last week. Very solid #2 school for me and likely my destination.

Why is there so much negativity being directed at this school though? After my visit and from talking to those there, it seems the criticism is not only unfounded but just ridiculous.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:07 am

atlantisdan wrote:Accepted last week. Very solid #2 school for me and likely my destination.

Why is there so much negativity being directed at this school though? After my visit and from talking to those there, it seems the criticism is not only unfounded but just ridiculous.
I think after what a few people have told me it was kind of blown out of proportion. The school dropped from the high 80's to the 90's to 100, and now is 3rd tier. The students were pretty mad and got into a verbal war with some of the faculty, on facebook. That's about all I have seen.

atlantisdan

New

Post by atlantisdan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:50 pm

That's really about all I have heard too. Again, I had a very wonderful visit. I had only wanted to visit because it was reasonably close and didn't want to dismiss it without checking it out first. After the visit and meeting several members of faculty and talking with a number of students, this school passed several previous favorites.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

clemson09

New

Post by clemson09 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:05 am

I got an email about a King & Spalding Reception... I am not all that interested in Mercer without a Scholarship, but is anyone going?

sstufken

New

Post by sstufken » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:30 am

clemson09 wrote:I got an email about a King & Spalding Reception... I am not all that interested in Mercer without a Scholarship, but is anyone going?
I just got that email too; I probably won't go but I am going to the scholarship reception on the 25th & ASD on the 26th- anyone else going to either of those?
Last edited by sstufken on Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:39 am

clemson09 wrote:I got an email about a King & Spalding Reception... I am not all that interested in Mercer without a Scholarship, but is anyone going?
+1, I'm interested, but am struggling with the idea of a $35,000 tuition bill--no scholarship either.

taraknits

New

Post by taraknits » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:51 am

I will be in Atlanta for a work conference, so I plan on going. Hope to see some of you there! :)

BTW- the price tag is steep, but they do offer "partial merit scholarships are awarded to those students who are in the top 15% of their class and did not receive a scholarship as an incoming student." Anybody have ideas on the amounts on these??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

atlantisdan

New

Post by atlantisdan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:43 am

sstufken wrote:
I just got that email too; I probably won't go but I am going to the scholarship reception on the 25th & ASD on the 16th- anyone else going to either of those?
Looks Like I am going atleast to the Saturday one.

snooch

New

Post by snooch » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:29 pm

It's been 8 weeks today since I've went complete at Mercer...gonna give 'em a call tomorrow if I don't hear anything by then.

jpjpporter

New

Post by jpjpporter » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:38 pm

snooch wrote:It's been 8 weeks today since I've went complete at Mercer...gonna give 'em a call tomorrow if I don't hear anything by then.
I bet you hear soon. I just got my acceptance email this last week, Good luck!

atlantisdan

New

Post by atlantisdan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:46 pm

Is anyone else going to the ASD on Saturday?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rooney

Silver

Post by Rooney » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:29 am

atlantisdan wrote:Is anyone else going to the ASD on Saturday?
I'll be there. Not too bad a drive from Savannah (I-16 is pretty mind numbing)

chardy

New

Post by chardy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:06 am

I'll be going to Sat. as well. Is anyone coming to Mercer from undergrad or simply lived in Macon? I'm trying to figure out what the best option would be in terms of housing. If anyone has any insight into this that would be great. Thanks!

sstufken

New

Post by sstufken » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:51 pm

We need some way to recognize each other! Maybe we can all wear a certain color? Though I'm sure that will result in some awkward self-introductions with non- TLSers who coincidentally decided to wear "our" color haha.

atlantisdan

New

Post by atlantisdan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:06 pm

sstufken wrote:We need some way to recognize each other! Maybe we can all wear a certain color? Though I'm sure that will result in some awkward self-introductions with non- TLSers who coincidentally decided to wear "our" color haha.
I don't know about hair color, but I will be easy to recognize, I will be the only one there with a teenage daughter.

I'm like chardy, I'm gonna be there on Friday trying to sort out housing.

I do look forward to meeting as many of you guys as possible.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

atlantisdan

New

Post by atlantisdan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:08 pm

atlantisdan wrote:
sstufken wrote:We need some way to recognize each other! Maybe we can all wear a certain color? Though I'm sure that will result in some awkward self-introductions with non- TLSers who coincidentally decided to wear "our" color haha.
I don't know about hair color, but I will be easy to recognize, I will be the only one there with a teenage daughter.

I'm like chardy, I'm gonna be there on Friday trying to sort out housing.

I do look forward to meeting as many of you guys as possible.
Scratch the hair color thing, I misread...what I get for replying from a blackberry...

sarhuh

New

Post by sarhuh » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:13 pm

For those admitted, any clue/idea as to where most law students live???

csmith

New

Post by csmith » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:22 pm

I have been looking at apartments, trying to get in the 4-5 hundred dollar range for a one bedroom. Lakeview Apartments http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartment ... nts/27823/ looks ok...

If I can find another 1L looking for a roommate that would be ideal to cut costs.

aliciah

New

Post by aliciah » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:11 pm

Being from Macon I can tell you where is good to live. The area directly around the law school in downtown macon - the college hill corridor is an up and coming area with mixed incomes (students of mercer mixed with low income Macon people getting discounts to live there if they are police or other public workers), this is a nice area if you want to live in a historic home, but safety is going to probably be an issue. Other than that the only place remotely safe in Macon is North Macon. Look into apartments on Northside Drive and then apartments on Wesleyan Drive. Also, there are some nice apartments on ridge avenue area. If you contact a realtor they could def put you in these places. Be careful where you live, Macon is super sketch in most areas, but north Macon is fine

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aliciah

New

Post by aliciah » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:14 pm

also csmith, that apartment complex you posted is for sure somewhere you wouldn't even want to drive after dark

Rooney

Silver

Post by Rooney » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:43 am

aliciah wrote:Being from Macon I can tell you where is good to live. The area directly around the law school in downtown macon - the college hill corridor is an up and coming area with mixed incomes (students of mercer mixed with low income Macon people getting discounts to live there if they are police or other public workers), this is a nice area if you want to live in a historic home, but safety is going to probably be an issue. Other than that the only place remotely safe in Macon is North Macon. Look into apartments on Northside Drive and then apartments on Wesleyan Drive. Also, there are some nice apartments on ridge avenue area. If you contact a realtor they could def put you in these places. Be careful where you live, Macon is super sketch in most areas, but north Macon is fine
+1
I was told the north side of town is newer/safer for housing. An undergrad student told me anything on Orange St or College (ave?) is good. But, coming from Savannah, I kinda laugh at the "dangerous" designation of parts of Macon. I'm looking forward to hearing less gun shots in my neighborhood!

Rooney

Silver

Post by Rooney » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:57 am

Haha, darn I saw this too late. I was going to ask someone about their TLS account then thought it'd be nice and awkward if they had no clue what I was talking about! I wore a navy blazer and jeans, and was the guy who asked if Career Services was helpful. Look forward to meeting everyone proper in the fall.

sstufken

New

Post by sstufken » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:36 pm

Rooney wrote:
Haha, darn I saw this too late. I was going to ask someone about their TLS account then thought it'd be nice and awkward if they had no clue what I was talking about! I wore a navy blazer and jeans, and was the guy who asked if Career Services was helpful. Look forward to meeting everyone proper in the fall.
Haha yeah this whole idea didn't work out so well- though I actually did not make it to any of the ASD on Saturday. Oops. But I went to the dinner reception Friday and went out with some 2Ls that night. I actually like Macon a lot more than I expected to! We pregamed on the rooftop of an apartment complex called Katherine Court, which was pretty nice and in a safe area. If I go to Mercer, I will probably look into living here or somewhere close.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”