Scholarship after Waitlist?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
magicman554

Scholarship after Waitlist?

Postby magicman554 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:51 am

So, if you are initially waitlisted, then later offered admission, do any scholarships usually come along (or can you negotiate them)? I'm talking T20-25 territory. I would withdraw from a certain school if I knew that a scholarship was pretty much out of the question after a waitlist.

Anecdotes would be helpful.

ran12

Re: Scholarship after Waitlist?

Postby ran12 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:03 am

magicman554 wrote:So, if you are initially waitlisted, then later offered admission, do any scholarships usually come along (or can you negotiate them)? I'm talking T20-25 territory. I would withdraw from a certain school if I knew that a scholarship was pretty much out of the question after a waitlist.

I've heard of people getting scholarships after getting off the waitlist but nothing specifically about the 20-25 range. The one certainty is that GW will not give you money.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

I was waitlisted at Minnesota last year despite being way above their medians and having awesome softs. I chose to hang out on the waitlist, just to see if they'd ever actually admit me. Over the summer, they called me and offered me admission with a full tuition scholarship.

(True story, not a flame. You can see the whole story in my posting history.)

I think there were three factors at play:
1. I applied late... meaning early January... so they may have run out of spots.
2. It may have been a mild case of yield protect.
3. They may have been trying to protect their medians. I heard they had a few problems last year.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:58 am

If you are a yield protect waitlist then you might still be able to get money. If you are waitlisted because your numbers are very weak for that school, then you're probably not going to get money.

magicman554

Postby magicman554 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:54 pm

ran12 wrote:
magicman554 wrote:So, if you are initially waitlisted, then later offered admission, do any scholarships usually come along (or can you negotiate them)? I'm talking T20-25 territory. I would withdraw from a certain school if I knew that a scholarship was pretty much out of the question after a waitlist.

I've heard of people getting scholarships after getting off the waitlist but nothing specifically about the 20-25 range. The one certainty is that GW will not give you money.

Why not? What's up with GW?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:55 pm

magicman554 wrote:
ran12 wrote:

GW doesn't give money in general unless you have really high numbers so it's highly unlikely that someone off the WL would get money.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:59 pm

ran12 wrote:
magicman554 wrote:
ran12 wrote:

GW doesn't give money in general unless you have really high numbers so it's highly unlikely that someone off the WL would get money.

I think the $105,000 scholly is actually a really good offer. They dont seem to be too selective with it. Usually all the 167+/3.7+ get it.

magicman554

Postby magicman554 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:01 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:I think the $105,000 scholly is actually a really good offer. They dont seem to be too selective with it. Usually all the 167+/3.7+ get it.

Isn't that the ED scholarship? We're talking about [insert title of thread].

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:02 pm

Accepted of BC's waitlist with $60,000. When a school offers you acceptance let them know that, "While X was my first choice, Y accepted me and offered my Z$ and it wouldn't be prudent for me to attend X without some form of financial aide." They will say, "Alright, let me talk to financial aid and I will give you a call in the next couple of days." They will likely match or exceed your offer.

One of the USNEWS stats that matters is % of accepted attending. Once they have accepted you, they have a vested interest in putting you in a seat, so even students with mediocre numbers stand a chance of snagging some money, and at the end of the day $5,000/$10,000 a year isn't chump change.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:04 pm

GWU offered me $15,000 in "Financial Aid" scholarship that may be renewed after the first year but was not guaranteed. I'm not poor or anything, it seems that they do this for tax purposes.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”