Southern Illinois University

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mattviphky

Southern Illinois University

Postby mattviphky » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:04 pm

Anybody in? Anybody going? It was sort of my backup school, but they offered a tempting scholarship...so I really don't know what to do. However, I really have no interest in living in Carbondale for 3 years, it just seems too far from...anything.

mattviphky

Re: Southern Illinois University

Postby mattviphky » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:55 pm

nobody?

Phatslice

Postby Phatslice » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:52 pm

mattviphky wrote:nobody?

I applied in November, was accepted in December. Won't go though, their scholarship offer was very very low.

legalprincess

Postby legalprincess » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:13 pm

Haha, I'm not going to SIU, but lots of my friends went there for undergrad. Are you used to Chicago? Because by those standards, you'd probably be right about there being nothing to do. By SoIl standards, though, there's plenty to do.
Be prepared for hippies, though. And people from Chicago complaining about how there's nothing to do. And general skankiness (in my honest opinion).

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:57 am

no, stl, but yeah, I've been getting the boring and skanky vibe from people I have been talking too, although they are all undergrads. I really would have given serious consideration to go there until I got on this godforsaken website that has me scared to go to any school that is not T16, although the highest I've even applied to was U of Miami, and they waitlisted me. But I did apply to Kent in Chicago, and my heart is set on SLU

legalprincess

Postby legalprincess » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:40 pm

Haha, yeah, this website has some great advice, but it also has the potential to scare the hell out of a person! As long as you're planning to practice in Southeast Missouri/Southern Illinois, I think you'd do fine at SIU. For St. Louis, you really might want to try for Mizzou...placement is just as good/better than SLU, and you'll owe a lot less when you get out.

worm0110

Postby worm0110 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:32 am

I'm waiting to hear from SIU. Got into SLU with $$, waitlisted at UIUC, and a longshot at WUSTL. It might take a full ride to get me away from SLU right now though...

eboston

Postby eboston » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:46 am

I was accepted back in early January but withdrew last week. I really liked the people and the overall atmosphere but SLU gave me decent money and I'm STL girl at heart. Unless by some miracle I get off the waitlist at WUSTL, I will be at SLU in the fall.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:42 pm

worm0110 wrote:I'm waiting to hear from SIU. Got into SLU with $$, waitlisted at UIUC, and a longshot at WUSTL. It might take a full ride to get me away from SLU right now though...

Over a 161 gets a full ride.

worm0110

Postby worm0110 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:33 am

mattviphky wrote:
worm0110 wrote:I'm waiting to hear from SIU. Got into SLU with $$, waitlisted at UIUC, and a longshot at WUSTL. It might take a full ride to get me away from SLU right now though...

I got a 159. Is that a firm number or do I still have a shot with a good GPA and softs?

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:28 am

worm0110 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:

I got a 159. Is that a firm number or do I still have a shot with a good GPA and softs?

My impression is that it is pretty firm. However, you should get a really good scholarship. Plus, tuition is dirt cheap at SIU. I think it's like 14k?

Also, I imagine that your GPA is pretty good if you got 66k from SLU. You should honestly consider a retake. How did you study for the lsat?

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:32 am

Also, I was in your same shoes last year. Trying to figure out whether SLU or SIU was the better choice. If you think you have room to improve, you should retake. Seriously, don't throw away a good gpa on a bad lsat score. You're easily capable of a 165.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=149790

I retook, I'm now in at Illinois with some money.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:19 pm

Salukis!

I just wanted to say "Salukis."

worm0110

Postby worm0110 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:30 pm

mattviphky wrote:Also, I was in your same shoes last year. Trying to figure out whether SLU or SIU was the better choice. If you think you have room to improve, you should retake. Seriously, don't throw away a good gpa on a bad lsat score. You're easily capable of a 165.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 6&t=149790

I retook, I'm now in at Illinois with some money.

My GPA is in the 3.7 range. Normally I'm a pretty good standardized test taker, but the logic games always trip me up. I can do them, but the time limits are what get me. Unless they make the test longer, I don't see myself more than a 162 or so, my brain just refuses to do the logic games quickly. I do appreciate the vote of confidence and the advice.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”