In @ UCLA (for class of 2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Steved

Re: In @ UCLA (for class of 2014)

Postby Steved » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:37 pm

Anyone accepted who's from the east coast and planning on attending like myself? I'm from NY.

NotImportant

Postby NotImportant » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:24 pm

Just checking in! Happy to be able to post here.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:18 am

What up y'all?!

I am bringing a car. If you aren't, I suggest trying to find a friend or roommate who will!

I mean, you CAN go without a car. After all, I didn't have one at UCLA for my undergrad, and that was for four years. But remember, you are also older and wayyyy cooler now. You will want to do things like go to the beach, drive to bars to in Santa Monica, go hike the San Gabriel Mountains, etc.... in other words, you will want to get out of "the Westwood Bubble". Sure, buses can take you most places, but it's still much more convenient to have a car. It will be faster, take less planning, etc.

For those who asked about scholarship negotiation. UCLA got back to me within two days, and they more than doubled their original offer. Sold me on the spot.

Zeile

Postby Zeile » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:48 pm

Does anyone know when scholly info usually comes out? With the acceptance packet or later?

sad_squirrel

Postby sad_squirrel » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:06 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:What up y'all?!

I am bringing a car. If you aren't, I suggest trying to find a friend or roommate who will!

I mean, you CAN go without a car. After all, I didn't have one at UCLA for my undergrad, and that was for four years. But remember, you are also older and wayyyy cooler now. You will want to do things like go to the beach, drive to bars to in Santa Monica, go hike the San Gabriel Mountains, etc.... in other words, you will want to get out of "the Westwood Bubble". Sure, buses can take you most places, but it's still much more convenient to have a car. It will be faster, take less planning, etc.

For those who asked about scholarship negotiation. UCLA got back to me within two days, and they more than doubled their original offer. Sold me on the spot.

How did you negotiate? Did you e-mail or call, and did you speak to Dean Schwartz or somebody else? Thanks!

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:00 pm

I sent them an email which quickly detailed my interest in UCLA and the other scholarship offers that I had received from other, similarly ranked schools. (Think 18 to 13). Then I was a little worried because I didn't get any notice that they had received my email. Then about two days later I just got an email that said Congratulations! You have been awarded XXXX from the XXXX fund!

That's about it.

ms1987

Postby ms1987 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:24 pm

Checking in...finally! No chance there are any admitted students events in the near future (I'm in LA)? I'd love attend one before having to choose between UCLA and USC....

sad_squirrel

Postby sad_squirrel » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:45 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:I sent them an email which quickly detailed my interest in UCLA and the other scholarship offers that I had received from other, similarly ranked schools. (Think 18 to 13). Then I was a little worried because I didn't get any notice that they had received my email. Then about two days later I just got an email that said Congratulations! You have been awarded XXXX from the XXXX fund!

That's about it.

Thanks!

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:14 pm

ms1987 wrote:Checking in...finally! No chance there are any admitted students events in the near future (I'm in LA)? I'd love attend one before having to choose between UCLA and USC....

I would call and ask. I know they have a reception on the 25th at UCLA for former (and graduating) UCLA undergraduates who are admitted to UCLA Law. You may be able to tag along at that.
Also, choosing between UCLA and USC is not entirely easy. I had matching scholarships at each. Here's what made me choose UCLA over USC, if it helps:

1. Quality of Facilities. UCLA's classrooms are a little old and outdated, but their library is beautiful, especially inside. USC has obviously put some effort into renovating the inside of their Law Building, but the building in general still felt like a concrete brick to me. Overall, I felt UCLA Law had the edge here. I thought, "hey, if I'm going to study several hours a day in the library, it had better be nice." Just my thoughts. For what it's worth, I thought that both schools are very pretty in terms of their general campus.
2. Quality of Life / Location . Having been in LA for a while, I can tell you that West Los Angeles is a better place to be than the area around Downtown. And more specifically, Westwood (while not perfect) is a better place to be that Exposition Park. If I went to USC I would probably live in Los Feliz / Silverlake or something, and the prospect of commuting to school didn't sound appealing. That factored into my decision.
3. Academic Program UCLA is bigger, and they have more programs and courses that I'm personally interested in (hint: Law & Philosophy Program, among others).
4. I'm Biased What can I say? I went to UCLA, so I'm a little biased. A Trojan lasts only once, a Bruin is forever.

However, I did really like the small class size at USC. USC is smaller, which I think improves the "close-knit" feeling, collegiality, and fosters a slightly stronger alumni network. I think the kids and administration all know each other slightly better at USC.

Things that didn't factor into my decision between UCLA and USC:

$$$ -- I had matching scholarship offers at each school. COA at UCLA (due to instate tuition) was slightly cheaper at UCLA, but I didn't let it affect my decision.
Rankings / Reputation -- Some people would argue that UCLA has the slight reputation edge in LA, others would argue that USC has a stronger alumni network and places just as well. I determined that they were pretty comparable in placement and reputation, at least in So Cal.

ms1987

Postby ms1987 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:55 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:
ms1987 wrote:Checking in...finally! No chance there are any admitted students events in the near future (I'm in LA)? I'd love attend one before having to choose between UCLA and USC....

I would call and ask. I know they have a reception on the 25th at UCLA for former (and graduating) UCLA undergraduates who are admitted to UCLA Law. You may be able to tag along at that.
Also, choosing between UCLA and USC is not entirely easy. I had matching scholarships at each. Here's what made me choose UCLA over USC, if it helps:

1. Quality of Facilities. UCLA's classrooms are a little old and outdated, but their library is beautiful, especially inside. USC has obviously put some effort into renovating the inside of their Law Building, but the building in general still felt like a concrete brick to me. Overall, I felt UCLA Law had the edge here. I thought, "hey, if I'm going to study several hours a day in the library, it had better be nice." Just my thoughts. For what it's worth, I thought that both schools are very pretty in terms of their general campus.
2. Quality of Life / Location . Having been in LA for a while, I can tell you that West Los Angeles is a better place to be than the area around Downtown. And more specifically, Westwood (while not perfect) is a better place to be that Exposition Park. If I went to USC I would probably live in Los Feliz / Silverlake or something, and the prospect of commuting to school didn't sound appealing. That factored into my decision.
3. Academic Program UCLA is bigger, and they have more programs and courses that I'm personally interested in (hint: Law & Philosophy Program, among others).
4. I'm Biased What can I say? I went to UCLA, so I'm a little biased. A Trojan lasts only once, a Bruin is forever.

However, I did really like the small class size at USC. USC is smaller, which I think improves the "close-knit" feeling, collegiality, and fosters a slightly stronger alumni network. I think the kids and administration all know each other slightly better at USC.

Things that didn't factor into my decision between UCLA and USC:

$$$ -- I had matching scholarship offers at each school. COA at UCLA (due to instate tuition) was slightly cheaper at UCLA, but I didn't let it affect my decision.
Rankings / Reputation -- Some people would argue that UCLA has the slight reputation edge in LA, others would argue that USC has a stronger alumni network and places just as well. I determined that they were pretty comparable in placement and reputation, at least in So Cal.

Wow! Thanks much for a little insight into the factors that went into your decision. It seems like you can't go wrong either way...

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:27 pm

edit: deleted

sad_squirrel

Postby sad_squirrel » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:19 am

Has anybody received info from the law school about housing? I just realized that I haven't received anything yet, and now I'm freaking out that I missed the deadline or something . . .

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:31 am

I know there is a priority deadline May 6th. I don't know what that means or what the regular deadline is.

Either way though, you've got at least about 3 weeks to fill it out.

sad_squirrel

Postby sad_squirrel » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:09 am

NorCalBruin wrote:I know there is a priority deadline May 6th. I don't know what that means or what the regular deadline is.

Phew! Thanks for answering all of my questions over the past few days, NorCalBruin.

Anybody have thoughts on Venice/Barry or Keystone/Mentone? Part of me likes the convenience of living closer to campus that comes with Hilgard and Weyburn, but I like the extra space and distance from campus that come with these options . . .

DuxBellorum

Postby DuxBellorum » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:26 pm

Just filled in my intent to register form. See yall in the fall! Stoked.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:55 pm

sad_squirrel wrote:
NorCalBruin wrote:I know there is a priority deadline May 6th. I don't know what that means or what the regular deadline is.

Phew! Thanks for answering all of my questions over the past few days, NorCalBruin.

Anybody have thoughts on Venice/Barry or Keystone/Mentone? Part of me likes the convenience of living closer to campus that comes with Hilgard and Weyburn, but I like the extra space and distance from campus that come with these options . . .

My intuition would be to avoid anything but Weyburn and maybe Hilgard. The truth of the matter is that the graduate housing isn't cheap. Yes, you get utilities for free, and that offsets some of the cost, but they are still like $200 or so more expensive than a place you would get in Brentwood or Culver. Plus, you have to pay extra for parking in the graduate housing. So really, you are paying for convenience and the social atmosphere. If you lived away from campus you could get a better place for the same cost, or perhaps the same quality place for significantly cheaper. Just my thoughts.

aaaaaah

Postby aaaaaah » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:13 pm

Re: Housing Deadlines-- I spoke w/ Dean Schwartz a couple of weeks ago about an unrelated matter and he asked if I wanted to be placed on the guaranteed housing list. I said yes (before my plans had changed) and I just got an email confirming that I'd have housing in Weyburn or Hilgard provided I fill out the application by May 6th. It also says that you can get your assignment as early as May 9th. Exciting!

Now, someone please withdraw for me because thinking about it makes me want to cry.

tlslsnlsp

Postby tlslsnlsp » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:38 am

Hey guys,

I'm currently waiting on Duke to give me back info on how much $$ they'll be throwing me. Do you think it'd be ok to ask UCLA if I can give them my decision after I hear back from Duke (assuming I hear back from Duke later than UCLA's april 29 deadline)? What am I supposed to do in this situation.... ahhh

chocoholic

Postby chocoholic » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:17 pm

Any current students out there willing to answer questions? I can PM you....

weee

Postby weee » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:18 pm

chocoholic wrote:Any current students out there willing to answer questions? I can PM you....

Check out the discuss your law school subforum, there is a thread for ucla

chocoholic

Postby chocoholic » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:35 pm

weee wrote:
chocoholic wrote:Any current students out there willing to answer questions? I can PM you....

Check out the discuss your law school subforum, there is a thread for ucla

Found it, thanks!

DuxBellorum

Postby DuxBellorum » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:39 pm

Steved wrote:Anyone accepted who's from the east coast and planning on attending like myself? I'm from NY.

BTW I'm from East Coast. Virginia here. Are you fresh outta undergrad like me (UVA)? or did u take some time off?

chocoholic

Postby chocoholic » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:38 pm

For students who don't live in the school-owned apartments, what are some other popular areas to live? Maybe names of apartment complexes where grad students tend to live?

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:02 pm

Chocoholic,

There are several areas in LA that are reasonably close and reasonably affordable. However, I would recommend taking a hard look around Brentwood. It's a nice area where a lot of young people live (especially graduates of UCLA), it's close to UCLA (less than 5 min drive) and there are a lot of little restaurants and such down San Vicente. If you are wondering where Brentwood is, it's basically anything within a mile radius of San Vinente & Bundy intersection. Or more specifically Barrington to past Bundy (east west), Sunset Blvd. to Wilshire (north to south). I have several groups of friends who live in that area and they pay $700, $740, $800, $850, and $1000 per person for their different apartments. But expect to share a decent place somewhere around $850 per person.

Some people might say that it's kind of an expensive area. You could probably find cheaper places a little farther in to Santa Monica, and certainly farther in Mar Vista, Culver, or Venice... there are certainly some decent places in those areas and you could probably share a place for something closer to $700-$750. I would definitely bring a car if you live farther away. Public transportation is doable, but not always awesome or easy.

Another couple areas worth looking at are West Hollywood (as long as you arent homophobic, as it has a very high gay population)--that area also has a ton of restaurants, bars, shops, etc. I also have a set of friends around Pico & Robertson, which is more like townhouses, but a pretty decent area too.

Personally, I would go for Brentwood or Santa Monica. They are closer to school, pretty close to the beach, and from the people ive talked to that go to UCLA Law, the law students mostly frequent Santa Monica Bars anyway. Would love to hear other thoughts though

my 2 cents

chocoholic

Postby chocoholic » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:52 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:Chocoholic,

There are several areas in LA that are reasonably close and reasonably affordable. However, I would recommend taking a hard look around Brentwood. It's a nice area where a lot of young people live (especially graduates of UCLA), it's close to UCLA (less than 5 min drive) and there are a lot of little restaurants and such down San Vicente. If you are wondering where Brentwood is, it's basically anything within a mile radius of San Vinente & Bundy intersection. Or more specifically Barrington to past Bundy (east west), Sunset Blvd. to Wilshire (north to south). I have several groups of friends who live in that area and they pay $700, $740, $800, $850, and $1000 per person for their different apartments. But expect to share a decent place somewhere around $850 per person.

Some people might say that it's kind of an expensive area. You could probably find cheaper places a little farther in to Santa Monica, and certainly farther in Mar Vista, Culver, or Venice... there are certainly some decent places in those areas and you could probably share a place for something closer to $700-$750. I would definitely bring a car if you live farther away. Public transportation is doable, but not always awesome or easy.

Another couple areas worth looking at are West Hollywood (as long as you arent homophobic, as it has a very high gay population)--that area also has a ton of restaurants, bars, shops, etc. I also have a set of friends around Pico & Robertson, which is more like townhouses, but a pretty decent area too.

Personally, I would go for Brentwood or Santa Monica. They are closer to school, pretty close to the beach, and from the people ive talked to that go to UCLA Law, the law students mostly frequent Santa Monica Bars anyway. Would love to hear other thoughts though

my 2 cents

Thanks NorCalBruin! I'll be visiting LA this weekend so I'll be sure to check out these areas. So do most people who live in Santa Monica and Brentwood (or surrounding areas) drive cars around town? Or is the traffic so bad it's impossible to do that? Do they drive or take the bus to class?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”