In @ UCLA (for class of 2014) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
weee

Bronze

Re: In @ UCLA (for class of 2014)

Post by weee » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:31 am

speedyj88 wrote:
jrose5 wrote:Hey, did any of you get an email about a UCLA law student calling to entertain any questions about the school? I got one yesterday. I was admitted 1/24.
No, but I did get a detailed email from a current student regarding UCLA and why she chose to attend. She had a similar background to me and told me to email or call her if I had any questions. I haven't contacted her yet, but I likely will soon. I really liked the outreach and it really made UCLA that much more attractive to me. Now, if they would just give me some scholarship money, it would be a done deal.
As a person sending out some of these e-mails, definitely feel free to respond! Speaking for myself anyway it makes me feel good to know that the students I am mailing are genuinely interested in the school, and I have been more than happy to answer all questions sent my way.

sanguar

Silver

Post by sanguar » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:36 am

mikeydan5 wrote:Good luck to all those negotiating for scholarship offers. UCLA was the first school that I was admitted to, and I did not receive a scholarship offer. Later in the cycle, I recieved substantial scholarship offers from ASU and Texas. I let UCLA know about my offers, and they came back with an offer of $52,500. I doubt that the ASU offer swayed them, but I think the Texas offer gave me some leverage. Dean Schwartz was extremely helpful, and the entire process took about a week.

Also, I recieved need-based aid within a week of completing my FAFSA and Need Access. I hope this info helps, and good luck to everyone!
That's great to hear. Congrats on the $ offer! If you don't mind, I've got a couple of questions about how you approached them about this.

(1) Did you wait until after you received your need-based aid offer to ask them to for a merit-based offer?

(2) Did you email them with your other offers or did you call them? If you called, who did you speak to? UCLA already offered me some fairly substantial $, but Texas offered me slightly more, and adjusted for cost of living in the respective cities (going off the university-supplied cost of living estimates), the difference between the two for me is about $23,000 over three years (i.e., not per year, but over the three years total). I like UCLA a lot, but I'm having a hard time swallowing that much of a difference.

Thanks. And congrats again!

Edited to add: If anybody else has any thoughts on, or experience with, how best to approach them, I'd be glad to hear those too.

mikeydan5

New

Post by mikeydan5 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:40 am

Thanks for your congratulations! I attempted to call them first, but I was told to send Dean Schwartz an email detailing my other offers. In addition to telling him my other offers, I also explained why it was so important for me to receive a scholarship. Basically I said I will not be able to attend UCLA unless I receive one. So I think the best idea for you would be to summarize your offer from texas and explain why you need UCLA to increase its offer. Hope that helps!

sanguar

Silver

Post by sanguar » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:19 am

mikeydan5 wrote:Thanks for your congratulations! I attempted to call them first, but I was told to send Dean Schwartz an email detailing my other offers. In addition to telling him my other offers, I also explained why it was so important for me to receive a scholarship. Basically I said I will not be able to attend UCLA unless I receive one. So I think the best idea for you would be to summarize your offer from texas and explain why you need UCLA to increase its offer. Hope that helps!
It does. Thanks!

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:24 pm

Thanks all. Proud to finally be in this club! :)
Last edited by JJDancer on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:12 pm

Does anyone remember how long it was between the call and getting an email or some other communication?
More than a day or 2?? Or within hours? THANKS.

sanguar

Silver

Post by sanguar » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:18 pm

Congrats on the acceptance!!

I got an email within a couple of days, but definitely more than a day. I got an email from them on 1/21, and I think I got the call on 1/18, but I'm not entirely positive on that.

aaaaaah

Bronze

Post by aaaaaah » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:22 pm

JJDancer wrote:Does anyone remember how long it was between the call and getting an email or some other communication?
More than a day or 2?? Or within hours? THANKS.
Congrats! I got my email two full days after the call.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:52 pm

Thanks you two! I think I should wait until I at least get the email to send a scholly negotiation letter lol. So impatient!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sanguar

Silver

Post by sanguar » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:05 pm

JJDancer wrote:Thanks you two! I think I should wait until I at least get the email to send a scholly negotiation letter lol. So impatient!
LOL I'd probably wait. Did they offer you $ in the call? I think I've heard of some people getting $ offers in the snail-mail acceptance package even though it wasn't mentioned in the call. (IIRC - and I may not!)

alexdelarge

New

Post by alexdelarge » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:08 pm

Have any Epstein applicants heard back? On pins and needles here...

tlslsnlsp

Bronze

Post by tlslsnlsp » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:43 am

mikeydan5 wrote:Thanks for your congratulations! I attempted to call them first, but I was told to send Dean Schwartz an email detailing my other offers. In addition to telling him my other offers, I also explained why it was so important for me to receive a scholarship. Basically I said I will not be able to attend UCLA unless I receive one. So I think the best idea for you would be to summarize your offer from texas and explain why you need UCLA to increase its offer. Hope that helps!
if i may ask, when did you negotiate this? i currently have larger offers from Texas and WUSTL but I'm not sure if it's the right time to ask for a reconsidered scholarship offer now...

also, just heard back about need-based grants, 20K for next year. More than I thought! This definitely shoots UCLA way up my list...

rjh456

New

Post by rjh456 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:32 pm

still waiting on my acceptance packet. could someone tell me when the first seat deposit is due...maybe i'm just being dumb but i don't think it has it in the accepted students email... thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DuxBellorum

New

Post by DuxBellorum » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:11 am

Anyone heading to the symposium this coming weekend/the accepted students day next week? I'm flyin out all the way from Virginia and hoping to meet some people.

rpopuch

New

Post by rpopuch » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:45 am

In via phone call two weeks ago from Dean Schwartz.

167/3.8, complete around 1/8.

Has anyone heard any news about Epstein?

sanguar

Silver

Post by sanguar » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:52 am

rjh456 wrote:still waiting on my acceptance packet. could someone tell me when the first seat deposit is due...maybe i'm just being dumb but i don't think it has it in the accepted students email... thanks!
IIRC it's around April 29th. There's a thread somewhere on the forums here that has a complete list of seat deposit deadlines which should have it. Also, you can find it if you go onto the admitted students website. There's a link to "deadlines and fees" or something like that where you should be able to find it.

DuxBellorum

New

Post by DuxBellorum » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:58 pm

mikeydan5 wrote:I am also posting this to the original UCLA thread:

I was admitted to UCLA in early January, and I didn't receive a scholarship. I got admitted to Texas recently and received an in-state tuition waver and $9500/yr. Since they are tied in the rankings, I wrote Dean Schwartz to see if UCLA could offer me a scholarship. Has anyone had any luck negotiating for scholarships so far?
I know you posted this over a month ago, but I figured I'd respond. I called Dean Schwartz about two weeks ago to ask about scholarships, he told me to email him with my admission situation and other schools. I didn't receive any need money but he said there was still merit money available, so I should email him.

So, I emailed him and I got an email with an offer today! So it seems pretty informal and rather simple; talk to Dean Schwartz and ask what to do and he's pretty straightforward. I got an email back within 2 weeks. Just figured I'd shed some light on the subject.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

c2law

New

Post by c2law » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:26 am

DuxBellorum wrote:Anyone heading to the symposium this coming weekend/the accepted students day next week? I'm flyin out all the way from Virginia and hoping to meet some people.
Yep! I'm going to be in LA from the 11th to the 16th. I'll be coming from Texas :D

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:37 pm

DuxBellorum wrote:
mikeydan5 wrote:I am also posting this to the original UCLA thread:

I was admitted to UCLA in early January, and I didn't receive a scholarship. I got admitted to Texas recently and received an in-state tuition waver and $9500/yr. Since they are tied in the rankings, I wrote Dean Schwartz to see if UCLA could offer me a scholarship. Has anyone had any luck negotiating for scholarships so far?
I know you posted this over a month ago, but I figured I'd respond. I called Dean Schwartz about two weeks ago to ask about scholarships, he told me to email him with my admission situation and other schools. I didn't receive any need money but he said there was still merit money available, so I should email him.

So, I emailed him and I got an email with an offer today! So it seems pretty informal and rather simple; talk to Dean Schwartz and ask what to do and he's pretty straightforward. I got an email back within 2 weeks. Just figured I'd shed some light on the subject.
Do we just call the main office and ask to speak to Dean Schwartz? I got in really early in the cycle, and haven't had a lot of information from UCLA since (which seems weird). I'd totally attend, but can't justify it at sticker.

speedyj88

Bronze

Post by speedyj88 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:39 pm

I just received notification about my need-based grant award :mrgreen: . Really excited about it but I'm just wondering if anyone knows how likely you are to be renewed for the grant for 2L and 3L years. Additionally, does anyone know if it's still possible to successfully negotiate for a merit-based scholarship after receiving a need-based grant? As in, do they consider the total award package when comparing offers or will they compare merit vs. merit?

DuxBellorum

New

Post by DuxBellorum » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:56 pm

I emailed him. And then he told me to call. I just emailed asking about the process for merit aid and then we took it from there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:56 pm

DuxBellorum wrote:I emailed him. And then he told me to call. I just emailed asking about the process for merit aid and then we took it from there.
Okay cool that's what I'm going to do then! Thanks!

tlslsnlsp

Bronze

Post by tlslsnlsp » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:24 pm

speedyj88 wrote:I just received notification about my need-based grant award :mrgreen: . Really excited about it but I'm just wondering if anyone knows how likely you are to be renewed for the grant for 2L and 3L years. Additionally, does anyone know if it's still possible to successfully negotiate for a merit-based scholarship after receiving a need-based grant? As in, do they consider the total award package when comparing offers or will they compare merit vs. merit?
I am also curious about this. I also have a very generous need-based offer and a somewhat underwhelming scholarship offer that combine to make a great offer... but I'm not sure how that'll change for 2L and 3L since the need-based is just for a year.

Redsgomarchingon

Bronze

Post by Redsgomarchingon » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:40 pm

so who's going to the ASD tomorrow? *raises hand*

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:41 pm

Redsgomarchingon wrote:so who's going to the ASD tomorrow? *raises hand*
I'll be there. Just got into LA a couple hours ago.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”