U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jaymaynard
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:58 am

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby jaymaynard » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:16 pm

Neidermeyer519 wrote:Yeah, I believe that stipulation is for everyone. So is this scholarship amount pretty standard? It is a pretty good deal. It actually makes Arkansas cheaper over three years than Louisville, which is where I still think I am going to attend. Has anyone had any success negotiating for more money?


If it's any indication, I sent an email on a Sunday night attempting to negotiate more money and got a reply by like 830 Monday morning indicating that they could not offer me any more money

User avatar
Neidermeyer519
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:20 am

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:30 pm

Yeah, that's what I expected. Honestly, I'm surprised that I got offered anything at all.

jaymaynard
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:58 am

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby jaymaynard » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:33 pm

Neidermeyer519 wrote:Yeah, that's what I expected. Honestly, I'm surprised that I got offered anything at all.


Yeah. There's a strong chance I'll end up there if I dont get in at Tennessee. It's a good value once you get in state and the 8k really helps that first year. I've never been to Fayetteville, but I've only heard good things

pulp
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby pulp » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:34 pm

Who here is knowledgeable in what kind of career prospects U of A Law represents? I realize it opens up doors but...to what extent?

For example student A makes perfect grades throughout his first year. Does he still have a shot at a summer internship at a Dallas/Houston law firm?

Should U of A law students only focus on getting into Arkansas law firms first and then make a "lateral" move career-wise?


Also, I did receive 5k in scholarships and frankly it seems like a tremendous bargain despite a slightly lower ranking.

Timmah621
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:52 am

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby Timmah621 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:00 pm

pulp wrote:Who here is knowledgeable in what kind of career prospects U of A Law represents? I realize it opens up doors but...to what extent?

For example student A makes perfect grades throughout his first year. Does he still have a shot at a summer internship at a Dallas/Houston law firm?

Should U of A law students only focus on getting into Arkansas law firms first and then make a "lateral" move career-wise?


Also, I did receive 5k in scholarships and frankly it seems like a tremendous bargain despite a slightly lower ranking.


I am very interested if anyone has knowledge on career prospects as well. I am from Dallas and I am about 95% sure that I will be attending U of Ark this next fall. Does anyone know about Dallas career prospects specifically? Shoot me a PM.

Also if you are pretty sure that you will be attending U of Ark in the fall, join the facebook page! There are only 2 members in the group University of Arkansas Class of 2014, and it would be great to meet some fellow classmates, especially since I will be looking for roommates to get a house with this next fall.

jaymaynard
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:58 am

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby jaymaynard » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:18 pm

Timmah621 wrote:
pulp wrote:Who here is knowledgeable in what kind of career prospects U of A Law represents? I realize it opens up doors but...to what extent?

For example student A makes perfect grades throughout his first year. Does he still have a shot at a summer internship at a Dallas/Houston law firm?

Should U of A law students only focus on getting into Arkansas law firms first and then make a "lateral" move career-wise?


Also, I did receive 5k in scholarships and frankly it seems like a tremendous bargain despite a slightly lower ranking.


I am very interested if anyone has knowledge on career prospects as well. I am from Dallas and I am about 95% sure that I will be attending U of Ark this next fall. Does anyone know about Dallas career prospects specifically? Shoot me a PM.

Also if you are pretty sure that you will be attending U of Ark in the fall, join the facebook page! There are only 2 members in the group University of Arkansas Class of 2014, and it would be great to meet some fellow classmates, especially since I will be looking for roommates to get a house with this next fall.


+1

Thomas.of.Hunter
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:13 am

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby Thomas.of.Hunter » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:22 pm

awsfasdfasdf
Last edited by Thomas.of.Hunter on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mpj_3050
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby mpj_3050 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:27 pm

I probably will attend Fayetteville or Little Rock in the fall.

Fayetteville is nicer and the better school but UALR tuition would be 3k a year for me w/ a scholarship w/ a far more reasonable stipulation. But at least UA's tuition is a reasonable 11k once you get residency, which sounds pretty easy to attain.

limelightwave
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby limelightwave » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:55 pm

Accepted with $13K/year out of state... Also have a full tuition scholarship at UALR... I'm not sure if I'll end up at either one, but still waiting to hear back from a bunch of places.

brendaan
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby brendaan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:07 pm

im in... likely making the move from SO. FLA. to a colder temp... anybody visit? im going to make my way there before i make a final decision.. anybody else in that situation??

jaymaynard
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:58 am

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby jaymaynard » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:43 pm

brendaan wrote:im in... likely making the move from SO. FLA. to a colder temp... anybody visit? im going to make my way there before i make a final decision.. anybody else in that situation??


Sorta. I'm from TN, but never been to Fayetteville. Definitely want to visit before making a decision.

Thomas.of.Hunter
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:13 am

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby Thomas.of.Hunter » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:03 am

sadfasdfasdf
Last edited by Thomas.of.Hunter on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
anni
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby anni » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:50 pm

anni wrote:Sent in my supplemental form for non-index a month ago and haven't heard anything. Should I be worried or is this normal?




bump.

User avatar
imalloutoflove
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby imalloutoflove » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:49 pm

Is there a pronounced difference between U of A Fayetteville and UALR in terms of job prospects in Arkansas?

UALR is offering $4,500/semester if I stay in the top 60%, Fayetteville is offering $3,800/semester and top 20%. I can attend UALR from my current residence, which is paid for, but I would have to find housing to attend Fayetteville. Is Fayetteville worth the move if I plan to practice in central Arkansas?

Voltaire
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:03 am

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby Voltaire » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:58 pm

imalloutoflove wrote:Is there a pronounced difference between U of A Fayetteville and UALR in terms of job prospects in Arkansas?

UALR is offering $4,500/semester if I stay in the top 60%, Fayetteville is offering $3,800/semester and top 20%. I can attend UALR from my current residence, which is paid for, but I would have to find housing to attend Fayetteville. Is Fayetteville worth the move if I plan to practice in central Arkansas?

In my opinion, Fayetteville is worth paying the premium because high ranking students will be able to move into regional markets more easily (and student tickets.) Double the amount of firms recruit at Fayetteville. However if you want to stay stay in LR and don't care at all about a job elsewhere, stay where you are. And in the end, you're likely to end up back in LR even if you do decide to go to UAF.

User avatar
mpj_3050
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby mpj_3050 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:17 pm

imalloutoflove wrote:Is there a pronounced difference between U of A Fayetteville and UALR in terms of job prospects in Arkansas?

UALR is offering $4,500/semester if I stay in the top 60%, Fayetteville is offering $3,800/semester and top 20%. I can attend UALR from my current residence, which is paid for, but I would have to find housing to attend Fayetteville. Is Fayetteville worth the move if I plan to practice in central Arkansas?


I spoke to someone on this site about this issue. Fayetteville is definitely the better school, no doubt. The top 20% stipulation is insane but it isn't like you are paying 40k a year. UALR offered me 4k a semester with the top 60% stipulation and Fayetteville offered 3k a semester with the top 20% thing. I'm a non-resident and UA offered 6k a semester the first year w/o residency and UALR guaranteed residency if my petition were to be turned down.

I plan on visiting both schools, but I am debating whether UA is worth 24k more since I will not count on the top 20% scholarship.

User avatar
deadlast
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby deadlast » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:18 am

I am a current 1L. As far as summer job prospects there are a fair amount, but it really comes down to how much work your willing to put in in finding a summer clerkship, your grades, and if you're willing to work for free. OCI is good experience, but they hire very few people. If you want to go outside of Arkansas it helps to start early, have connections, and get decent grades. It wont be easy to find opportunities back in your hometowns outside of Arkansas, but if you work at it you can find them. Obviously the closer a city is to Arkansas the more sway a JD from here will have. All that being said Arkansas is a great school with a really good group of students. Everyone is helpful and nice, competitiveness is at a minimum.

Also if you are getting worried by the University's lack of communication, don't let it get to you. They were horrible last year about sending anything out or answering questions.

jaymaynard
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:58 am

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby jaymaynard » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:20 pm

deadlast wrote:I am a current 1L. As far as summer job prospects there are a fair amount, but it really comes down to how much work your willing to put in in finding a summer clerkship, your grades, and if you're willing to work for free. OCI is good experience, but they hire very few people. If you want to go outside of Arkansas it helps to start early, have connections, and get decent grades. It wont be easy to find opportunities back in your hometowns outside of Arkansas, but if you work at it you can find them. Obviously the closer a city is to Arkansas the more sway a JD from here will have. All that being said Arkansas is a great school with a really good group of students. Everyone is helpful and nice, competitiveness is at a minimum.

Also if you are getting worried by the University's lack of communication, don't let it get to you. They were horrible last year about sending anything out or answering questions.


Are there many people from TN in your class? What would you say is the portability of a JD there to somewhere in TN?

Timmah621
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:52 am

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby Timmah621 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:57 am

Since Arkansas does not have an admitted students weekend, we should try and put one together. I will be in Fayetteville April 15th - 16th to visit the law school and watch the spring football game. I will be getting a hotel room for Friday and whatever admitted students want to come up this weekend are free to crash with me. Shoot me a pm if anyone is interested in trying to get this set up. Also join the facebook group "University of Arkansas School of Law Class of 2014" and we can try to plan this.

jaymaynard
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:58 am

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby jaymaynard » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:59 am

Timmah621 wrote:Since Arkansas does not have an admitted students weekend, we should try and put one together. I will be in Fayetteville April 15th - 16th to visit the law school and watch the spring football game. I will be getting a hotel room for Friday and whatever admitted students want to come up this weekend are free to crash with me. Shoot me a pm if anyone is interested in trying to get this set up. Also join the facebook group "University of Arkansas School of Law Class of 2014" and we can try to plan this.


I'm actually off work on vacation that week and was considering driving out to check out campus.

User avatar
mpj_3050
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby mpj_3050 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:36 pm

I think I'm heading down mid April. I know there is the $75 registration thing, but is that all? Is there another seat deposit or something down the road?

Can't wait to visit and will probably end up at Fayetteville.

Timmah621
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:52 am

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby Timmah621 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:27 pm

jaymaynard & mpj_3050: join the facebook group "University of Arkansas School of Law Class of 2014" and lets try and plan a trip for that weekend

jaymaynard
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:58 am

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby jaymaynard » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:33 pm

Timmah621 wrote:jaymaynard & mpj_3050: join the facebook group "University of Arkansas School of Law Class of 2014" and lets try and plan a trip for that weekend


I'll look for it. I'm not 100% sure I'll go because it's like a 7-8 hour drive, but well see. If I dont go, I'd be very curious to hear your reactions

User avatar
Ginj
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:53 am

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby Ginj » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:35 pm

I grew up in Arkansas...around both Fayetteville and Little Rock. If anyone has any questions about the area, feel free to PM me.

jaymaynard
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:58 am

Re: U of Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2011

Postby jaymaynard » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Sent in my seat deposit today




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”