WL at Penn 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Flips88

Re: WL at Penn 2011

Postby Flips88 » Mon May 23, 2011 5:51 pm

thomas345 wrote:
StickyIcky wrote:Got an email saying they "anticipate extending a small number of admission offers this summer. We are, however, unable to say with certainty the exact number or the date by which we will finalize the process; the number of offers we will make is fully contingent upon the number of deposited students who defer or make other plans for the fall."

Guess some dings went out with this email to some candidates as well to clear up the WL.

+1

Ah. Found this thread. Got the email this morning. Actually got a call from admissions last week inquiring about my interest level also. Anybody else get that?

dukeblue

Postby dukeblue » Mon May 23, 2011 6:55 pm

Flips88 wrote:
thomas345 wrote:
StickyIcky wrote:Got an email saying they "anticipate extending a small number of admission offers this summer. We are, however, unable to say with certainty the exact number or the date by which we will finalize the process; the number of offers we will make is fully contingent upon the number of deposited students who defer or make other plans for the fall."

Guess some dings went out with this email to some candidates as well to clear up the WL.

+1

Ah. Found this thread. Got the email this morning. Actually got a call from admissions last week inquiring about my interest level also. Anybody else get that?

I did get that call (on Thursday), and I got in on Friday.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:16 pm

dukeblue wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
thomas345 wrote:

+1

Nice. I couldn't give a firm commitment. I said I'd need some financial info before I could decide. Were you overtly committing to them?

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:34 am

Penn really gave me a bad taste.

They waitlisted me from ED, then held me saying they needed more time, I sent more materials, then waited 5 months, then got waitlisted, then they scheduled a meeting with me, then I bought a train ticket and got my best suit dry cleaned, then they suddenly rejected me on my birthday 2 days before the meeting they scheduled.

I don't have sour grapes, and don't think going to another t-14 or even a t-20 with some $ will grossly influence my career one way or the other. It just seems that this particular school's judgment in this one instance was very unprofessional.

I know I'm just an LSAC #, and nobody knew it was my birthday (although, I run a small business, and you better believe I make sure to remember every client's birthday as do many larger businesses). However, I do know they obviously pre-planned to reject a bunch of people today so no hard feelings there. Additionally, they have 5,000 applications and can't focus on each one so they need to string some people along for 8 months (we've all had an assignment we put off for way too long).

However, why schedule a meeting, why specify a specific day, suggesting that day only to reject the person under 48 hours before that meeting? This is where Penn, at least in my experience, crossed the boarder from just a standard graduate school to unprofessional. I just hope they produce attorneys who are more professional than their payroll.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue May 24, 2011 2:39 am

flexityflex86 wrote:Penn really gave me a bad taste.

They waitlisted me from ED, then held me saying they needed more time, I sent more materials, then waited 5 months, then got waitlisted, then they scheduled a meeting with me, then I bought a train ticket and got my best suit dry cleaned, then they suddenly rejected me on my birthday 2 days before the meeting they scheduled.

I don't have sour grapes, and don't think going to another t-14 or even a t-20 with some $ will grossly influence my career one way or the other. It just seems that this particular school's judgment in this one instance was very unprofessional.

I know I'm just an LSAC #, and nobody knew it was my birthday (although, I run a small business, and you better believe I make sure to remember every client's birthday as do many larger businesses). However, I do know they obviously pre-planned to reject a bunch of people today so no hard feelings there. Additionally, they have 5,000 applications and can't focus on each one so they need to string some people along for 8 months (we've all had an assignment we put off for way too long).

However, why schedule a meeting, why specify a specific day, suggesting that day only to reject the person under 48 hours before that meeting? This is where Penn, at least in my experience, crossed the boarder from just a standard graduate school to unprofessional. I just hope they produce attorneys who are more professional than their payroll.

thats so lame. I would call them out on rejecting you on their birthday. at least maybe they'll put effort into not doing it to other people in future cycles. I doubt that is something they really want to be doing.

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:41 am

I don't have sour grapes, and don't think going to another t-14 or even a t-20 with some $ will grossly influence my career one way or the other. It just seems that this particular school's judgment in this one instance was very unprofessional. I know I'm just an LSAC #, and it didn't matter it was my birthday.

I know they have 5,000 applications and can't focus on each one so they need to string some people along for 8 months (we've all had an assignment we put off for way too long). However, why schedule a meeting, why specify a specific day, suggesting that day only to reject the person under 48 hours before that meeting? This is where Penn, at least in my experience, crossed the boarder from just a standard graduate school to unprofessional. I just hope they produce attorneys who are more professional than their payroll.

Ditto. I was on my flight from San Francisco to Philadelphia for my interview, 35,000 feet over Colorado, when I got the rejection email from Penn (the assist goes to GoGo inflight internet). Then my flight landed in Cincinnati to connect, where I was then stranded for three hours and ushered into the tunnels because of a tornado warning. I'm finally in Philadelphia now for nothing at all. I will be calling admissions tomorrow to see if anything can be clarified.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:55 am

snichols16 wrote:

I don't have sour grapes, and don't think going to another t-14 or even a t-20 with some $ will grossly influence my career one way or the other. It just seems that this particular school's judgment in this one instance was very unprofessional. I know I'm just an LSAC #, and it didn't matter it was my birthday.

I know they have 5,000 applications and can't focus on each one so they need to string some people along for 8 months (we've all had an assignment we put off for way too long). However, why schedule a meeting, why specify a specific day, suggesting that day only to reject the person under 48 hours before that meeting? This is where Penn, at least in my experience, crossed the boarder from just a standard graduate school to unprofessional. I just hope they produce attorneys who are more professional than their payroll.

Ditto. I was on my flight from San Francisco to Philadelphia for my interview, 35,000 feet over Colorado, when I got the rejection email from Penn (the assist goes to GoGo inflight internet). Then my flight landed in Cincinnati to connect, where I was then stranded for three hours and ushered into the tunnels because of a tornado warning. I'm finally in Philadelphia now for nothing at all. I will be calling admissions tomorrow to see if anything can be clarified.

Wow. That's much worse. I'm not a very sentimental person. I take my friends and family's birthdays seriously, and planned a surprise party for my girlfriend with her friends, but only because I know other people care so much about their birthdays. I don't care. What's the big deal? I'm a year older, and only moderately more successful than the year before. I'll celebrate my day after I do something real. I knew I was a #. I knew the entire time, but I don't care, because in the grand scheme of things, it makes no difference on my long term future whether or not my law school views me as a human being. The issue was spending $40 on the tickets and dry cleaning, but nichols - that is BS.

What they did to nichols is crap. I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no way that Penn knew they'd be rejecting us today. I'd throw down 10:1 odds they knew on Friday, maybe Thursday, and they should have told nichols. If it was a sudden meeting, they should have double checked the meetings they set up before sending out notifications. How long does this take? 20 minutes? We've waited months. I think Penn can wait 20 minutes to have made sure nichols didn't leave to his flight. More logically, Penn could have seen nichols was flying in, and have waited till after the meeting. Knowing you were flying in, this is just disgusting. I would be hard pressed to think of a tier 4 who could do this. For a top 10 law school, Penn's admission officers should really take some entry level management classes.

edinbourgh

Postby edinbourgh » Tue May 24, 2011 3:10 am

Wow. That sounds horrible. Hope you guys can get some clarification on the matter, because both of those situations must have been very unpleasant. :(

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue May 24, 2011 3:13 am

edinbourgh wrote:Wow. That sounds horrible. Hope you guys can get some clarification on the matter, because both of those situations must have been very unpleasant. :(

I'm not one to cry sour grapes. I asked them about the meeting, and it definitely seems as though the meeting is off. I'm not going to make a big thing about it, and perhaps one day I would still send my kids to Penn as it's a great school. However, if I ever find myself in position that I'm hiring for a firm and somebody that has that office on their resume applies for a job, I would instantly reject them. This isn't a spite thing - other schools have rejected me, and I know it's just the price of doing business. However, it does seem as though some of the people in the office (particularly the genius management who decided to reach e-mails before checking the calender of the meetings they scheduled) would just be a gross liability with clientele. Today make it clear to me that Penn's prestige is a complete and utter result of the institution Franklin helped established and its years of accumulated reputation, and not a result of its current management.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:12 am

snichols16 wrote:

I would demand they reimburse your flight. Seriously.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:29 am

Flips88 wrote:
snichols16 wrote:

I would demand they reimburse your flight. Seriously.

+1000

Sorry, that just sounds terrible, and I agree, it's unprofessional.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:04 am

I know they don't care if they cause you to lose a few $1,000, regardless of whether or not they are responsible of it, but to not care about their reputation makes you wonder how much they care about the students they actually admit. I would just be afraid that demanding reimbursement will cause the school to get spiteful with other schools. If Penn is so unprofessional to do the behavior described, why wouldn't they pick up the phone and try to spite a student who called them out on it?

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:16 am

I posted in this thread Saturday to say I'd be withdrawing Monday, but they beat me to it :lol:. Good luck to you guys still waiting.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:17 am

flexityflex86 wrote:I know they don't care if they cause you to lose a few $1,000, regardless of whether or not they are responsible of it, but to not care about their reputation makes you wonder how much they care about the students they actually admit. I would just be afraid that demanding reimbursement will cause the school to get spiteful with other schools. If Penn is so unprofessional to do the behavior described, why wouldn't they pick up the phone and try to spite a student who called them out on it?

Well, if you call them 'scumbags' or something, they might get spiteful. But theres nothing wrong with stating your case and demanding money back. The worst thing they'll say is "sorry, we would love to but can't"

dukeblue

Postby dukeblue » Tue May 24, 2011 11:36 am

Flips88 wrote:
dukeblue wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Nice. I couldn't give a firm commitment. I said I'd need some financial info before I could decide. Were you overtly committing to them?

Yeah, I made a commitment then (and earlier).

lawscholar20

Postby lawscholar20 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:36 pm

thomas345 wrote:

+1

+1

lawscholar20

Postby lawscholar20 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:43 pm

Flips88 wrote:
dukeblue wrote:
+1

Do they ever give merit scholarships off the WL? I figure a WL admit is not really in a position to ask for money being that someone right behind them will gladly take their spot........

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:46 pm

lawscholar20 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
dukeblue wrote:
+1

Do they ever give merit scholarships off the WL? I figure a WL admit is not really in a position to ask for money being that someone right behind them will gladly take their spot........

When I spoke with the woman, I stated that I couldn't consider anything without the financial aspect and she said they are out of merit money but still have need-based money. She told me she'd have the financial aid office run my Need Access to see if I was eligible for anything, but I've yet to hear anything

StickyIcky

Postby StickyIcky » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:36 am

.....crickets?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:07 pm

StickyIcky wrote:.....crickets?

I confirmed my plan to enroll yesterday. I received another email requesting to confirm so I suppose everyone else who had multiple deposits also received it. If there are any openings you guys should probably hear today or next week. I couldn't tell you if there are any openings though.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:16 pm

I've decided to actually attempt to get off the wait list, though likely won't do anything... Sigh.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:50 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:I've decided to actually attempt to get off the wait list, though likely won't do anything... Sigh.

You better act like you want it!

Postby 5110 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:56 am

If you've sent a LOCI by e-mail did you get a reply, anything at all (even the canned we've got it thanks)? Penn is the only school that has never replied to my e-mails...

csoloski

Postby csoloski » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:03 am

5110 wrote:If you've sent a LOCI by e-mail did you get a reply, anything at all (even the canned we've got it thanks)? Penn is the only school that has never replied to my e-mails...

I did not get a reply. However, I did get a reply when I updated my contact information.

Postby 5110 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:57 pm

Just got an e-mail from UPenn saying that I'm still on the waitlist.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”