WL at Penn 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
snichols16

Bronze

Re: WL at Penn 2011

Post by snichols16 » Wed May 18, 2011 1:43 pm

Guy wrote:
snichols16 wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:I don't know how I feel about schools being able to see if you double deposited. This is very personal info. We don't get to know their info - why do they get our financial info? It just seems like something they should warn you about....ethically speaking. But I'm not going to complain about LSAC - they make the rules.
They do kind of warn us about it. You just have to read the fine print (like a good lawyer would!). It makes sense, though. When scholarships are involved, other people are desirous of your seat, and time is of the essence, we should not be double depositing after May. Now is not the time to be indecisive.
uhm.... pardon my french but - screw that. i am double deposited because of a yet to be resolved personal matter. I went through painstaking months and months and months of these schools being indecisive on my application. I think I can take my turn for a second.
Unfortunately, you are the seller and they are the buyer, and in any marketplace where sellers outnumber buyers, the buyer sets the terms of trade.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm

snichols16 wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:I don't know how I feel about schools being able to see if you double deposited. This is very personal info. We don't get to know their info - why do they get our financial info? It just seems like something they should warn you about....ethically speaking. But I'm not going to complain about LSAC - they make the rules.
They do kind of warn us about it. You just have to read the fine print (like a good lawyer would!). It makes sense, though. When scholarships are involved, other people are desirous of your seat, and time is of the essence, we should not be double depositing after May. Now is not the time to be indecisive.
Penn's official policy is that they allow double deposits as long as the commitment is non-binding (ED, scholarship contracts etc.)

lawscholar20

New

Post by lawscholar20 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:56 pm

czelede wrote:
snichols16 wrote:
This is in the same vein as schools that let other schools know when you're accepted via binding Early Decision. Most schools will have verbiage in their deposit forms which let you know whether you are allowed to double deposit or not, so as long as you don't break the rules it shouldn't really matter.
Do any of the T14 schools prohibit double depositing? Did not come across any language on any of the first deposit forms taht i sent in.

snichols16

Bronze

Post by snichols16 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:26 pm

lawscholar20 wrote:
czelede wrote:
snichols16 wrote:
This is in the same vein as schools that let other schools know when you're accepted via binding Early Decision. Most schools will have verbiage in their deposit forms which let you know whether you are allowed to double deposit or not, so as long as you don't break the rules it shouldn't really matter.
Do any of the T14 schools prohibit double depositing? Did not come across any language on any of the first deposit forms taht i sent in.
I would guess that it is addressed in the second deposit form. I know of several T15-T20 schools whose scholly forms specifically state that if you are double deposited after the second deposit, they reserve the right to revoke your scholly.
Last edited by snichols16 on Wed May 18, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

damage-inc

Bronze

Post by damage-inc » Wed May 18, 2011 4:28 pm

lawscholar20 wrote:Do any of the T14 schools prohibit double depositing? Did not come across any language on any of the first deposit forms taht i sent in.
Cornell specifically states that "[They] reserve the right to suspend an offer if you have an active reservation with another law school after June 5, 2011"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

csoloski

New

Post by csoloski » Wed May 18, 2011 4:46 pm

czelede wrote:I don't know if this is of interest to anyone, but I received an email yesterday telling me that their class is currently at full capacity. It looks like they are contacting people who are double-deposited to see when they can expect a decision by, so I suspect there will at least be a handful of people they will be admitting off their WL eventually.

Would you mind posting the e-mail?

nihilism is key

Bronze

Post by nihilism is key » Wed May 18, 2011 4:47 pm

On the intent to enroll form, Duke and NYU state that you must withdraw from all schools to which you have been admitted. If I am reading it correctly, that would mean no double dipping.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed May 18, 2011 4:54 pm

csoloski wrote:
The Law School Admissions Council provides law schools with the names of any student who has submitted multiple deposits. We have recently received this multiple deposit list from LSAC and yours is one of the few names appearing on the list.

If this is an oversight on your part, we encourage you to contact the institution at which you no longer have plans to matriculate in the Fall to notify them of your intent to relinquish your seat. If this is not an oversight on your part, please let me know if I can be helpful in any way to provide you with information that will help you reach a firm decision on your law school choice.

It is the policy of Penn Law to allow students with non-binding commitments to place more than once deposit. However, our class is full at this time, and your failure to reach a final decision in the near future may take away an opportunity from another student.
I have have to submit a second response form at Berkeley by 6/1. But sounds like there are a few others, so spaces should free up some.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Wed May 18, 2011 5:16 pm

r6_philly wrote:
csoloski wrote:
The Law School Admissions Council provides law schools with the names of any student who has submitted multiple deposits. We have recently received this multiple deposit list from LSAC and yours is one of the few names appearing on the list.

If this is an oversight on your part, we encourage you to contact the institution at which you no longer have plans to matriculate in the Fall to notify them of your intent to relinquish your seat. If this is not an oversight on your part, please let me know if I can be helpful in any way to provide you with information that will help you reach a firm decision on your law school choice.

It is the policy of Penn Law to allow students with non-binding commitments to place more than once deposit. However, our class is full at this time, and your failure to reach a final decision in the near future may take away an opportunity from another student.
I have have to submit a second response form at Berkeley by 6/1. But sounds like there are a few others, so spaces should free up some.
Yes, this.

Although, you know, this seems to imply that they may have been overenrolled previously, considering this email came after the NYU WL admits (several of which were deposited at Penn and withdrew).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed May 18, 2011 5:20 pm

czelede wrote: Yes, this.

Although, you know, this seems to imply that they may have been overenrolled previously, considering this email came after the NYU WL admits (several of which were deposited at Penn and withdrew).
But who knows how many are on the fence with Berkeley. Especially with the "you can get a scholarship all the way up to 6/1" thing.

csoloski

New

Post by csoloski » Fri May 20, 2011 11:51 am

I got a call this morning that I am off the wait list. Go talk to them in person it's what did it for me.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Fri May 20, 2011 11:57 am

Congrats! I wish i could go visit but I can't afford it (live in california)

dukeblue

New

Post by dukeblue » Fri May 20, 2011 12:24 pm

I've been lurking here for awhile. I got a call this morning telling me I'm in!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Fri May 20, 2011 1:47 pm

hey congrats duke blue! either of you feel like number sharing?

IncorrectReversal

New

Post by IncorrectReversal » Fri May 20, 2011 8:53 pm

Would really appreciate numbers. Thanks guys and congrats!

thomas345

New

Post by thomas345 » Sat May 21, 2011 6:12 pm

If I am sending an additional recommendation only to Penn does anyone know if I still need to go through LSAC or can it go directly to Penn?

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Sat May 21, 2011 6:50 pm

Just put a deposit down on an apartment in DC, will be withdrawing Monday. Good luck guys.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

damage-inc

Bronze

Post by damage-inc » Sun May 22, 2011 12:38 am

Mike12188 wrote:Just put a deposit down on an apartment in DC, will be withdrawing Monday. Good luck guys.
I know this is the WL thread but are you withdrawing from the WL or an actual seat. Thanks!

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Sun May 22, 2011 9:29 am

damage-inc wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:Just put a deposit down on an apartment in DC, will be withdrawing Monday. Good luck guys.
I know this is the WL thread but are you withdrawing from the WL or an actual seat. Thanks!
WL, sorry if I provided false hope for some :|

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Mon May 23, 2011 3:43 pm

rejected via email. no gpa and 170. definitely bummed about this one.

justhoping

Bronze

Post by justhoping » Mon May 23, 2011 4:04 pm

FlanAl wrote:rejected via email. no gpa and 170. definitely bummed about this one.
+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hankster1919

New

Post by hankster1919 » Mon May 23, 2011 4:16 pm

I'm out, too. Don't worry, we'll show 'em.

theturkeyisfat

Bronze

Post by theturkeyisfat » Mon May 23, 2011 4:19 pm

Just got the ding

StickyIcky

New

Post by StickyIcky » Mon May 23, 2011 4:52 pm

Got an email saying they "anticipate extending a small number of admission offers this summer. We are, however, unable to say with certainty the exact number or the date by which we will finalize the process; the number of offers we will make is fully contingent upon the number of deposited students who defer or make other plans for the fall."

Guess some dings went out with this email to some candidates as well to clear up the WL.

thomas345

New

Post by thomas345 » Mon May 23, 2011 5:19 pm

StickyIcky wrote:Got an email saying they "anticipate extending a small number of admission offers this summer. We are, however, unable to say with certainty the exact number or the date by which we will finalize the process; the number of offers we will make is fully contingent upon the number of deposited students who defer or make other plans for the fall."

Guess some dings went out with this email to some candidates as well to clear up the WL.

+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”