Just went from "In Review" to "Committee Review" - Hmm...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TOMaHULK

Just went from "In Review" to "Committee Review" - Hmm...

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:44 pm

I've been showing "In Review" on one of my status checkers for over 2 months. Just went to "Committee Review" a couple of hours ago.

Is this something special (i.e. couldn't decide via review, so taking a vote to admit/deny), or maybe just routine next step? Anyone else seen this?

Thank you in advance for comments.

d34d9823

Re: Just went from "In Review" to "Committee Review" - Hmm...

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:45 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:I've been showing "In Review" on one of my status checkers for over 2 months. Just went to "Committee Review" a couple of hours ago.

Is this something special (i.e. couldn't decide via review, so taking a vote to admit/deny), or maybe just routine next step? Anyone else seen this?

No way to know, but I'd guess you went from the stack of people being reviewed based on their numbers to the ones whose apps are actually being read.

neonx

Postby neonx » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:46 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:I've been showing "In Review" on one of my status checkers for over 2 months. Just went to "Committee Review" a couple of hours ago.

For which school?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:46 pm

Scholarship committee ?

alexandra

Postby alexandra » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:46 pm

For Berkeley? When did you apply?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:46 pm

I honestly think we would need to know the school, but as an educated guess, it just seems like a final stage of review. Perhaps your file wasn't being read in the first stage of review. For example: Some schools I'm complete, some in committee, some in review, some placed in review, and some just plain blank. Who the heck knows what's going on.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:57 pm

^No, it certainly isn't Berkeley. I'm sorry, but I'd prefer not to name the school merely because it's not quite on the level of many of your schools. Not T1. Hope that helps a bit.

I was thinking that maybe once a file went complete they just mark it "In Review" so people don't call, etc - but then that "comittee review" means that they're actually looking at it. Either way maybe it's better than a flat out Deny. Maybe not. But I'll update if I hear anything else.

neonx

Postby neonx » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:02 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:^No, it certainly isn't Berkeley. I'm sorry, but I'd prefer not to name the school merely because it's not quite on the level of many of your schools. Not T1. Hope that helps a bit.

I was thinking that maybe once a file went complete they just mark it "In Review" so people don't call, etc - but then that "comittee review" means that they're actually looking at it. Either way maybe it's better than a flat out Deny. Maybe not. But I'll update if I hear anything else.

No worries about the school thing.

My guess would be that "In Review" is the dean's/director of admission's initial read to determine auto-ding, auto-reject, and then "Committee Review" means it is being circulated via at least two faculty/committee members.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:15 pm

neonx wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:^No, it certainly isn't Berkeley. I'm sorry, but I'd prefer not to name the school merely because it's not quite on the level of many of your schools. Not T1. Hope that helps a bit.

My guess would be that "In Review" is the dean's/director of admission's initial read to determine auto-ding, auto-reject, and then "Committee Review" means it is being circulated via at least two faculty/committee members.

I'd actually hope that this is the case. I feel, eventhough it's an obvious stretch, that by looking at my LORs, Resume, and PS - they'd see there's so much more to my abilities than a 4 hour test. Will definetely update, because if I get in here, it'll be a strong Reach. :wink:

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:24 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
neonx wrote:

I'd actually hope that this is the case. I feel, eventhough it's an obvious stretch, that by looking at my LORs, Resume, and PS - they'd see there's so much more to my abilities than a 4 hour test. Will definetely update, because if I get in here, it'll be a strong Reach. :wink:

I'm the opposite, that 4 hour test is the reason why I'm getting into schools lol. You could always anon call the school and ask what it means.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:35 pm

Sandro wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:
neonx wrote:

I'm the opposite, that 4 hour test is the reason why I'm getting into schools lol. You could always anon call the school and ask what it means.

True. But what if I'm not only one in that category at this time? Hmm? :?

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:58 am

Still says "Committee Review" this morning. Man I'm really hoping for good news here. It'd suck if they dinged me now after 2 1/2 months on "In Review" and then switched to "Committee Review" just to ding. :oops:

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:30 pm

Got an email that I got in, except to start in the summer term (special program). Which is odd because my number weren't below the 25% ranges. Probably won't go as I don't see the point in rushing to start when I have other standard acceptances as options.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:35 pm

If the summer credits count towards graduating credits, what's so bad about this? If the school was one of your top choices, I wouldn't let this be a deciding factor.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:10 pm

LSATclincher wrote:If the summer credits count towards graduating credits, what's so bad about this? If the school was one of your top choices, I wouldn't let this be a deciding factor.

Mostly financial. You cannot use financial aid to pay for that term. All out of pocket.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”