Yield protect on the rise? Or just a very sloooowww cycle?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
northwood

Re: Yield protect on the rise? Or just a very sloooowww cycle?

Postby northwood » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:18 am

IF a school over accepted a lot of students last cycle, Im sure they will be slower to admit as many people ( to try to prevent it from occurring again). the December test didnt get released until January. A lot of applicants use the december test for their cycles, and this would hold more decisions from occurring. Seeing that it is still January, its still not that late to be hearing decisions, especially if you submitted in december.( if it is feb 25th, then yes its a late cycle). A lot of people forget, that TLS is not the norm for most applicants. There are tons of people applying that would be laughed at if they were on this site. ( you should also know where you stand relative to the schools medians, and be able to guess if you should be in, or dinged)Here on TLS, as soon as thanksgiving rolls around, and you didnt apply, its considerded on time. After christmas- you are late. Some schools dont review or being to release decisions for early applicants until mid december and january.

We all need to be more patient. If you have applied to a lot of schools, it will take time to hear decisions. You know your rankings, now is the time to research your schools, figure out what it would take for you to go there, and start making up your iniital personal school ranking. That way, once you get a decision you know how to respond to it. There are only 2 months and a week left before seat deposits are due. this is plenty of time to hear back from your schools, but not a lot of time to make such an important life decision. Start doing your reserach now, and caluclating the total cost of attendance- assuming you have to pay sticker ( edit it for the applicable scholly if you are offered). Get your financial aid info ready. Theres still a lot that needs to be done before you worry. Choose your top 7 schools, and put them on the fasfa. Edit it as necessary.

Keep your cool. the decisions will roll out soon, and they will probably roll out in a big bunch. best of luck to all

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:39 am

subtle wrote:
Ctgrapefruit wrote:True that YP is an easy excuse. But I applied in December (which is late) and am in at H and S and have yet to hear anything... So much as a status update from any schools in the bottom of the top 14. Maybe I'm not as attractive to these schools. But, I find this a bit weird.

Agreed. I got rejected from GW, but into three of my schools which are ranked higher.

GWU doesn't reallly practice YP, or at least they didn't last year.

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Admissions/JD/Pages/Profile.aspx

subtle

Postby subtle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:43 am

bdubs wrote:
subtle wrote:
Ctgrapefruit wrote:True that YP is an easy excuse. But I applied in December (which is late) and am in at H and S and have yet to hear anything... So much as a status update from any schools in the bottom of the top 14. Maybe I'm not as attractive to these schools. But, I find this a bit weird.

Agreed. I got rejected from GW, but into three of my schools which are ranked higher.

GWU doesn't reallly practice YP, or at least they didn't last year.

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Admissions/JD/Pages/Profile.aspx

*shrugs* I mean, it's entirely possible they just didn't like me. I'm not really mad about it. Other people suggested it, because it seemed a bit odd that I didn't get in.

pennyloafer17

Postby pennyloafer17 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:48 am

fastforward wrote:We're getting a lot of questions at ff about why decisions seem slow to come this year. We're also getting a lot of questions about yield protect, which may not be a coincidence; we wrote a blog post (LinkRemoved) about YP recently. I hope some of you are willing to share your observations about the pace of this cycle. We all understand the limitations of relying on the self-selected data from here and LSN, but it's pretty much what we have. That said, I'll start.

First, Stanford appears to be very early in the cycle; they tend to admit the UGs from ivies and other top UG schools on the first pass, and I've not seen an admit here or on LSN that isn't self-identified as from anything but that.

Second, Yale seems behind schedule from previous years. Usually, we see at least one here or on LSN after a tweet announcing calls, but it's been crickets since Dec. 8.

Next, Duke and others got into an awkward logjam of too many accepted offers last year and I suspected this might prove a cautionary tale for schools generally. They might just be sizing up the bulk of the applicant pool before the bulk of the offers go out.

Finally, here's a great link from the archives about YP. Note that Yale and Stanford have a significantly lower acceptance of both ^75th due to the small class size; no one seriously claims they need to protect their yield rate.http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96231

What do you think?

edited typo in header

For the record there are 50+ people in the YLS admitted student fb group...they just aren't on LSN or TLS

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:18 am

All good information and opinions. I like Northwood's advice to stay patient. Beats the altenative, right? 8) Still, knowledge is power and I hope the input continues.

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:04 am

Practicing yield protect isn't necessarily only a tactic for moving up the USN rankings. Especially for schools in the 10-20 range, lots of people who can reasonably expect to be admitted to more highly ranked schools will apply as a safety. Looking at past cycles on LSN, the number of Admitted/Attending vs. Admitted/Withdrew is telling as you move further down the rankings. Since these schools only have a limited number of admits they can offer, accepting someone who is likely to withdraw may mean giving the shaft to another applicant--slightly less qualified but genuinely committed to attending. I think it's inevitable that some schools practice this policy, and is not necessarily grounds for criticism.

sojasoph

Postby sojasoph » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:11 am

tartugas wrote:First off, I think it's been a slow cycle for some. It's probably that way every year for those who get to the end of January and have yet to hear back from schools.

That said... I think this YP conspiracy/post hoc hypothesizing is a bunch of BS. Isn't it just possible that sometimes people simply put forth applications that don't impress admissions committees at some schools? Assuming top schools get between 4,000 to 5,000 applicants per year, and assuming that many of those applicants fall within points of one another on the LSAT/GPA spectrum, I find it hard to believe that every single person with a 16something LSAT/3.whatever GPA is being denied just because some assistant dean lives in terror of dropping 2 spots on the USWNR.

Sometimes I hear people howling about being YP'd as though they are confident that there is no way they could have been denied given their numbers. Really if all this was was a numbers game, why does anyone even bother writing a personal statement at all?

http://minnesota.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

sojasoph

Postby sojasoph » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:18 am

bigjinjapan wrote:Practicing yield protect isn't necessarily only a tactic for moving up the USN rankings. Especially for schools in the 10-20 range, lots of people who can reasonably expect to be admitted to more highly ranked schools will apply as a safety. Looking at past cycles on LSN, the number of Admitted/Attending vs. Admitted/Withdrew is telling as you move further down the rankings. Since these schools only have a limited number of admits they can offer, accepting someone who is likely to withdraw may mean giving the shaft to another applicant--slightly less qualified but genuinely committed to attending. I think it's inevitable that some schools practice this policy, and is not necessarily grounds for criticism.

+1 I think people are very cautious in general and apply to way to many schools, myself included. Though LSN is not representitive you can see a lot of applicants that apply to 19 schools then withdraw from 18. That has to have a huge effect on these schools.

downsouth

Postby downsouth » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:38 am

I know that Emory definitely YPs. The admissions rep at an LSAC forum told me point blank unless I made it exceedingly clear that I loved Emory there was a good chance I wouldn't get accepted because my numbers were higher than they usually see accept their offer of admission.

kch3684

Postby kch3684 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:27 am

downsouth wrote:I know that Emory definitely YPs. The admissions rep at an LSAC forum told me point blank unless I made it exceedingly clear that I loved Emory there was a good chance I wouldn't get accepted because my numbers were higher than they usually see accept their offer of admission.

Richmond said the same thing to me, they mentioned that they look at whether you included them in your FAFSA group as an indicator of interest. Also I was complete early there and as they started to accept people I wasn't among the first couple groups so I emailed them to make sure my application was complete and 2 days later I got a call. I like to think it was the interest I showed in the school by following up.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:43 pm

I know for a fact that U cincy and Tennessee YP. Tennessee asked me for a letter reassuring them that i really like them in addition to my initial why tennessee essay, and Cincy has been hounding me to find out how my ED (non-binding) to another school went so they can decide what to do with my file.

I understand completely why they YP, but it doesn't make it less annoying.

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:24 pm

bigjinjapan wrote:Practicing yield protect isn't necessarily only a tactic for moving up the USN rankings. Especially for schools in the 10-20 range, lots of people who can reasonably expect to be admitted to more highly ranked schools will apply as a safety. Looking at past cycles on LSN, the number of Admitted/Attending vs. Admitted/Withdrew is telling as you move further down the rankings. Since these schools only have a limited number of admits they can offer, accepting someone who is likely to withdraw may mean giving the shaft to another applicant--slightly less qualified but genuinely committed to attending. I think it's inevitable that some schools practice this policy, and is not necessarily grounds for criticism.

This is a very important point -- so important, I realized I overlooked discussing it in my blog post, so I went back and edited it. In the past I have discussed this from the perspective of clients who are waitlisted at a school they dearly hope to attend. The waitlist is another important reason to understand which schools YP. If you are waitlisted at a non-YP school, your chances of getting in off the list are much higher. Compare GULC with UVA. The former does not YP, and a flood of applicants get in off the list each cycle. For UVA, it's the opposite.

A telltale indicator of YP is a cluster of yellow marks in the upper-right corner of a LSN graph.

kwais

Postby kwais » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:34 pm

As someone who has been plagued by a fear of having turned in apps late (Complete early Jan), a slow cycle sounds great to me!

gotcha

Postby gotcha » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:35 pm

HeavenWood wrote:GMU is YPing this cycle. I actually confirmed this with the dean herself.

Support?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”