Vent Away!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Top14Hope
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby Top14Hope » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:39 pm

Gotti wrote:
stheskier wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
The ex obviously didn't have that status at the time I was going through my app process. The relationship was more in the 'we're going to stay together for the rest of our lives' category. I would have thought that that much was obvious from the tenor of my post.

Also, my response was broad too. I'm already in LS - I certainly have no stake in people hogging their acceptances, on LSN or otherwise.


For someone who majored in womens studies I am surprised that you allowed a relationship determine which law school you would go to, and I apparently was not able to read the relationship drama within the lines of your comment. Funny that you used tenor (a smart people's word) and hogging (doesn't mean what you meant it to) within the same post.

this is dumb.

I've been in a relationship for 4 years and would definitely make sacrifices to some extent to keep us together because we're in it for the long haul.

Just because you wouldn't make the same decision as someone else, don't judge people's decisions without knowing what the fuck you're talking about.


+1

User avatar
almightypush
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Vent Away!

Postby almightypush » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:47 pm

edgarfigaro wrote:The only hard philosophy class is intro to logic. The only hard poli sci class is intro to international relations. The only reason either of those is hard is because of a mandatory curve due to their intro status (and b/c normally they're taught by grad students, and the grad student teaching Intro to IR usually can't speak english worth a damn).

:roll: at the thought that someone that majored in polisci/phil took the "hard" classes that screwed up his/her GPA.


preach.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Vent Away!

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:50 pm

Top14Hope wrote:
Gotti wrote:
stheskier wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
The ex obviously didn't have that status at the time I was going through my app process. The relationship was more in the 'we're going to stay together for the rest of our lives' category. I would have thought that that much was obvious from the tenor of my post.

Also, my response was broad too. I'm already in LS - I certainly have no stake in people hogging their acceptances, on LSN or otherwise.


For someone who majored in womens studies I am surprised that you allowed a relationship determine which law school you would go to, and I apparently was not able to read the relationship drama within the lines of your comment. Funny that you used tenor (a smart people's word) and hogging (doesn't mean what you meant it to) within the same post.

this is dumb.

I've been in a relationship for 4 years and would definitely make sacrifices to some extent to keep us together because we're in it for the long haul.

Just because you wouldn't make the same decision as someone else, don't judge people's decisions without knowing what the fuck you're talking about.


+1


Please humor him, guys. He's obviously bent on harping on his point, no matter how ridiculous he winds up being.

User avatar
emhellmer
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Vent Away!

Postby emhellmer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:50 pm

I want to vent about stupid Boston College. I wasn't even on my narrow little radar at first, but then my friend decided that SHE wanted to move to Boston, and I thought "Hey, Boston, that would be kind of cool." Then I fell in love with Boston College and wrote my entire PS for those Jesuit punks. Not just a "Why BC" PS, oh no. The entire PS was directed towards the strengths and character and whatever of that particular school. All the other schools got a watered down copy.

Application received 12/10. That is all.

Bastards.

Oh, and the other schools that got the watered down version of the BC PS? Three Full and two 75% scholly's so far. :P

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:51 pm

stheskier wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
The ex obviously didn't have that status at the time I was going through my app process. The relationship was more in the 'we're going to stay together for the rest of our lives' category. I would have thought that that much was obvious from the tenor of my post.

Also, my response was broad too. I'm already in LS - I certainly have no stake in people hogging their acceptances, on LSN or otherwise.


For someone who majored in womens studies I am surprised that you allowed a relationship determine which law school you would go to, and I apparently was not able to read the relationship drama within the lines of your comment. Funny that you used tenor (a smart people's word) and hogging (doesn't mean what you meant it to) within the same post.


I just barfed a little.

User avatar
gin
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby gin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:55 pm

subtle wrote:I sure as hell didn't and I actually don't know anyone here that did (and I know plenty of TLSers outside of TLS). Like it or not, mounds of TLS posters hit the 99 percentile with self-study alone.

I would agree that most of those classes are useless but but statistically speaking, people who take them tend to do better. As for your friends...more power to them[
Because one of them is used for someone and the otherone is useless doesn't take away that their nature is the same

*I'm not saying that the world needs to bow down before because of my "great" IQ (i actually think the idea of teh iq test is worthless since Lincohn would be considered mentally retarted by its standards). I actually don't think I'm that smart as shown by my pittyful attempts of post this and failing several times. The problem is that people (especially here) judge other solely by numbers. What the LSAT measures is analytical skills but fails to masure a number of different thing that could also be construded as "intelligence". I guess what I'm saying is that some people need to take their heads out of their asses. This isn't as much a rant against the LSAT. It is mostly agains some people on TLS who, from what I've seen are complete dicks to others.

Edit: and failed once again to submit what I wanted but I'm not patient enough to try and fix it again

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Vent Away!

Postby subtle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:58 pm

gin wrote:
subtle wrote:I sure as hell didn't and I actually don't know anyone here that did (and I know plenty of TLSers outside of TLS). Like it or not, mounds of TLS posters hit the 99 percentile with self-study alone.

I would agree that most of those classes are useless but but statistically speaking, people who take them tend to do better. As for your friends...more power to them[
Because one of them is used for someone and the otherone is useless doesn't take away that their nature is the same

*I'm not saying that the world needs to bow down before because of my "great" IQ (i actually think the idea of teh iq test is worthless since Lincohn would be considered mentally retarted by its standards). I actually don't think I'm that smart as shown by my pittyful attempts of post this and failing several times. The problem is that people (especially here) judge other solely by numbers. What the LSAT measures is analytical skills but fails to masure a number of different thing that could also be construded as "intelligence". I guess what I'm saying is that some people need to take their heads out of their asses. This isn't as much a rant against the LSAT. It is mostly agains some people on TLS who, from what I've seen are complete dicks to others.

Edit: and failed once again to submit what I wanted but I'm not patient enough to try and fix it again


Uhm. I didn't say that.

Also, you're changing what you're ranting against because you're not doing a very good job of conveying anything.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Vent Away!

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:59 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
stheskier wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
The ex obviously didn't have that status at the time I was going through my app process. The relationship was more in the 'we're going to stay together for the rest of our lives' category. I would have thought that that much was obvious from the tenor of my post.

Also, my response was broad too. I'm already in LS - I certainly have no stake in people hogging their acceptances, on LSN or otherwise.


For someone who majored in womens studies I am surprised that you allowed a relationship determine which law school you would go to, and I apparently was not able to read the relationship drama within the lines of your comment. Funny that you used tenor (a smart people's word) and hogging (doesn't mean what you meant it to) within the same post.


I just barfed a little.


His sense of humor does appear to be a little problematic.

User avatar
amers73
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby amers73 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:00 pm

gin wrote:I would agree that most of those classes are useless but but statistically speaking, people who take them tend to do better. As for your friends...more power to them[
Because one of them is used for someone and the otherone is useless doesn't take away that their nature is the same

*I'm not saying that the world needs to bow down before because of my "great" IQ (i actually think the idea of teh iq test is worthless since Lincohn would be considered mentally retarted by its standards). I actually don't think I'm that smart as shown by my pittyful attempts of post this and failing several times. The problem is that people (especially here) judge other solely by numbers. What the LSAT measures is analytical skills but fails to masure a number of different thing that could also be construded as "intelligence". I guess what I'm saying is that some people need to take their heads out of their asses. This isn't as much a rant against the LSAT. It is mostly agains some people on TLS who, from what I've seen are complete dicks to others.

Edit: and failed once again to submit what I wanted but I'm not patient enough to try and fix it again


wut?

Curry

Re: Vent Away!

Postby Curry » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:02 pm

oh my goodness this thread is full of so much fail.

User avatar
gin
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby gin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:03 pm

subtle wrote:Uhm. I didn't say that.

Also, you're changing what you're ranting against because you're not doing a very good job of conveying anything.

Sorry if you didn't say that...I don;t really understand the whole quotation thing when you are trying to quote several people
Also, I'm a big believer in fighting fire with fire...especially when you've already tried to be nice about it
It is a vent thread so I'm not sure what people are doing here trying to put down people whoa are already anxious and/or down which is what set me off in the first place

Curry

Re: Vent Away!

Postby Curry » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:05 pm

gin wrote:
subtle wrote:Uhm. I didn't say that.

Also, you're changing what you're ranting against because you're not doing a very good job of conveying anything.

Sorry if you didn't say that...I don;t really understand the whole quotation thing when you are trying to quote several people
Also, I'm a big believer in fighting fire with fire...especially when you've already tried to be nice about it
It is a vent thread so I'm not sure what people are doing here trying to put down people whoa are already anxious and/or down which is what set me off in the first place


You bragged about your IQ but you can't figure out how to read the quotations?

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby Gotti » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:05 pm

gin wrote:
subtle wrote:Uhm. I didn't say that.

Also, you're changing what you're ranting against because you're not doing a very good job of conveying anything.

Sorry if you didn't say that...I don;t really understand the whole quotation thing when you are trying to quote several people
Also, I'm a big believer in fighting fire with fire...especially when you've already tried to be nice about it
It is a vent thread so I'm not sure what people are doing here trying to put down people whoa are already anxious and/or down which is what set me off in the first place

lol high IQ faaaaail.

User avatar
tartugas
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:43 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby tartugas » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:06 pm

emhellmer wrote:
tartugas wrote:ahem

CURSE YOU (insert school of choice here) for continuing to make me wait in LIMBO for information on my applications while LITERALLY MILLIONS of other far, FAR less qualified candidates are comfortably relaxing with a pile of admission letters with huge scholarship offers in their laps.

I worked hard at school. I suffered deprivations untold (well, except of course for those I bragged about overcoming in my PS, WHICH APPARENTLY NO ONE ON YOUR ADCOMM TEAM HAS BOTHERED TO READ YET). I slammed the LSAT. I didn't just break the GPA curve at my school, I ANNIHILATED it. The dean at my school told me personally he wanted to give me a 6.0 and name 3 buildings on campus after me in recognition of my superhuman capabilities. He also had the LOR he wrote for me hand-bound in vellum and placed on permanent display in the library so that future generations might someday have the opportunity to understand what greatness looks like.

Mark my words, oh shameful institute of rhetorical training. You will rue these weeks of pain you have caused my family and friends, who even now tear at their hair and beat their breasts in sympathetic suffering. This pain shall not be forgotten. These days of insult and injury will be remembered. And I will have my vengence!!!

Well... all right, maybe I'll just have another beer and go sit in the corner. Just promise you'll let me know by April, please?


LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh angry little turtle, I would accept/deny you immediately if it were my law school!

I nominate this for best post ever. :lol:


awwww.... thanks em.

Man I really thought this thread was going in a totally different direction. Are you sure you kids don't want to take this argument over to autoadmit? Seems like that's a more appropriate place for this catfight. I thought we were supposed to be venting about the process in this thread, not one another.
Last edited by tartugas on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby Gotti » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:06 pm

Curry wrote:
gin wrote:
subtle wrote:Uhm. I didn't say that.

Also, you're changing what you're ranting against because you're not doing a very good job of conveying anything.

Sorry if you didn't say that...I don;t really understand the whole quotation thing when you are trying to quote several people
Also, I'm a big believer in fighting fire with fire...especially when you've already tried to be nice about it
It is a vent thread so I'm not sure what people are doing here trying to put down people whoa are already anxious and/or down which is what set me off in the first place


You bragged about your IQ but you can't figure out how to read the quotations?

beat me to it

User avatar
gin
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby gin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:07 pm

amers73 wrote:
gin wrote:I would agree that most of those classes are useless but but statistically speaking, people who take them tend to do better. As for your friends...more power to them[
Because one of them is used for someone and the otherone is useless doesn't take away that their nature is the same

*I'm not saying that the world needs to bow down before because of my "great" IQ (i actually think the idea of teh iq test is worthless since Lincohn would be considered mentally retarted by its standards). I actually don't think I'm that smart as shown by my pittyful attempts of post this and failing several times. The problem is that people (especially here) judge other solely by numbers. What the LSAT measures is analytical skills but fails to masure a number of different thing that could also be construded as "intelligence". I guess what I'm saying is that some people need to take their heads out of their asses. This isn't as much a rant against the LSAT. It is mostly agains some people on TLS who, from what I've seen are complete dicks to others.

Edit: and failed once again to submit what I wanted but I'm not patient enough to try and fix it again


wut?

you haven't heard of that...people usually use that to show the failings of the IQ test and how there are a number of factors that influence the score. The same thing applies the SAT, ACT, LSAT, all of which admit that is a problem

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Vent Away!

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:08 pm

Curry wrote:oh my goodness this thread is full of so much fail.


+1
How did this thread go from "please withdraw from school(s) that you don't consider attending" to this?
Last edited by tea_drinker on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gin
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby gin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:08 pm

Curry wrote:
gin wrote:
subtle wrote:Uhm. I didn't say that.

Also, you're changing what you're ranting against because you're not doing a very good job of conveying anything.

Sorry if you didn't say that...I don;t really understand the whole quotation thing when you are trying to quote several people
Also, I'm a big believer in fighting fire with fire...especially when you've already tried to be nice about it
It is a vent thread so I'm not sure what people are doing here trying to put down people whoa are already anxious and/or down which is what set me off in the first place


You bragged about your IQ but you can't figure out how to read the quotations?

I didn't brag...I used it to make a point. If you haven't noticed I've said plenty of times that it is crap

User avatar
emhellmer
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Vent Away!

Postby emhellmer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:08 pm

The LSAT is NOT meaningless. Sorry. The LSAT measures just how well you read, reason, and solve complex problems under pressure and time constraints. The fewer mistakes you make, the fewer mistakes you are likely to make on law school tests and in your career as a lawyer. The kids who studied for 6 months @ 40 hours a week in order to get a 175 are probably also going to apply themselves in a similar fashion in law school and as a lawyer. It is not meaningless, and this is coming from someone who did not score as well as she would have liked and even submitted a weak addendum grumbling about my history with low test scores.

Also, the LSAT is not akin to an IQ test.
1. IQ tests are designed to measure "intelligence" while ameliorating the varying effects of culture, literacy, etc. This is not the case with the LSAT. Lawyers need to understand the cultural references and norms of the dominant culture, and they should have learned how to manage this expectation in college.
2. One studies for the LSAT. They do not study for an IQ test. Any loser who spent 6 months practicing an IQ test could probably be declared a genious, but no one cares about your IQ score. Any loser who spent 6 months practicing the LSAT and got into Harvard earned themselves that "likely to suceed" label.
3. The LSAT is not meant to measure intelligence. It is meant to measure reading, reasoning, and problem solving capabilities. These abilities are important if you want to be a good lawyer.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby akili » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:08 pm

Hehe construded.

User avatar
beleaguer
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:00 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby beleaguer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:09 pm

Top14Hope wrote:I think that this is a great thread. Also, the OP is right about the fact that most of us are at least holding on to one or more schools that we really won't go to.
The real thing that I think needs to be addressed here (because it's never been addressed before) is that the LSAT will literally make or break you. Even if you have a 4.0 and great everything else (like I do). I cannot stand all of these people that missed only 15-20 questions compared to my 22 and getting into schools I get dinged from with a 3.0 -3.5. I went to the best school in Florida, got a 4.0, worked in a law office for a year, have three great LOR's, but because of my 161 I will never see the top17 (still some hope though). I understand that the law schools are making the best business decision (because of the stupid rankings), but I would love someone to look me in the eye and tell me half these other candidates are better than/smarter than me etc. We are all EQUAL. You got a better score than me because you had money for a better prep program/studied more/ or had parents that encouraged reading/learning from an early age. Oh sure, a 161 is low. I mean look at all these higher LSAT scores. Has to mean something right? Wait you have a letter from the LSAC explaining that you were in a small room with a bunch of distractions throughout the test? Oh wait, you got below a 1000 on the SAT and got a 4.0/top 3% at __ university because you did NOTHING in HS? Oh wait you're the only one in your family to go to college? Are you a URM? No? hmm...Sorry you clearly aren't good enough. I mean yeah the LSAT test retest is literally terrible. In case everyone here doesn't understand this, unless you are mentally handicapped in some way, you can work at the LSAT and get over a 170. What do I mean? Here is how my PT's went (strictest/real conditions)...142/147/149/151/153/157/155/159/159/160/160/161/162/159 (two month break) 159/160/161/161/163/161/164/162/165/164/165 (two days before the test) Test day 161. I shit you not the proctors were talking in a small 20 person room and there were a ton of other things/distractions/watch going off that they couldn’t stop that happened, still got the 161/4.0/letter from LSAC explaining bad conditions/great LOR’s/one of the best overcoming adversity PS you have ever read (at least that’s what 3 people who are law advisors told me). I mean honestly, I know the law schools position. I know it will hurt them to have my 161. I know some people have the time/money to spend on studying for another 3-6 months to kill the test, but others simply don’t. Berkeley has been my dream school since I can remember. Sadly, I’ll never feel her warmth. Even the school I went to hasn’t let me in yet because of my LSAT score(not necessarily obvi). I’m so mad I could randomly write an error filled comment on TLS! Oh wait.


QF :lol:

this thread has a lot of promise for more of that. will be checking back

User avatar
amers73
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby amers73 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:10 pm

gin wrote:you haven't heard of that...people usually use that to show the failings of the IQ test and how there are a number of factors that influence the score. The same thing applies the SAT, ACT, LSAT, all of which admit that is a problem


No in fact I have heard of what you are trying to do.
But I am having a hard time understanding exactly what you are trying to convey because your argument/spelling is all over the place.
See bold text.

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Vent Away!

Postby subtle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:10 pm

gin wrote:
subtle wrote:Uhm. I didn't say that.

Also, you're changing what you're ranting against because you're not doing a very good job of conveying anything.

Sorry if you didn't say that...I don;t really understand the whole quotation thing when you are trying to quote several people
Also, I'm a big believer in fighting fire with fire...especially when you've already tried to be nice about it
It is a vent thread so I'm not sure what people are doing here trying to put down people whoa are already anxious and/or down which is what set me off in the first place



I don't think people are trying to put down other people, per se. It's not like anyone was like OP, you're a fucking idiot. Why are you applying to law school? It's that the OP just sounds entitled, and everyone reacted to it. If you get 10 acceptances, it's your right to sit on them for as long as you please.

Curry

Re: Vent Away!

Postby Curry » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:11 pm

Gotti wrote:
Curry wrote:
gin wrote:
subtle wrote:Uhm. I didn't say that.

Also, you're changing what you're ranting against because you're not doing a very good job of conveying anything.

Sorry if you didn't say that...I don;t really understand the whole quotation thing when you are trying to quote several people
Also, I'm a big believer in fighting fire with fire...especially when you've already tried to be nice about it
It is a vent thread so I'm not sure what people are doing here trying to put down people whoa are already anxious and/or down which is what set me off in the first place


You bragged about your IQ but you can't figure out how to read the quotations?

beat me to it


Its literally reading in a straight line downwards...

User avatar
tartugas
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:43 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby tartugas » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:14 pm

emhellmer wrote:I want to vent about stupid Boston College. I wasn't even on my narrow little radar at first, but then my friend decided that SHE wanted to move to Boston, and I thought "Hey, Boston, that would be kind of cool." Then I fell in love with Boston College and wrote my entire PS for those Jesuit punks. Not just a "Why BC" PS, oh no. The entire PS was directed towards the strengths and character and whatever of that particular school. All the other schools got a watered down copy.

Application received 12/10. That is all.

Bastards.

Oh, and the other schools that got the watered down version of the BC PS? Three Full and two 75% scholly's so far. :P



Heh. The major source of my frustration at the moment is also a Jesuit school (though I'm currently still awaiting word from 3 schools in total). There must be something methodical about the Jesuits' deliberative process. Well the good thing is you have a bevvy of nice fat schollys to ease the pain. Congratulations!

FWIW, Boston's overrated anyway. (Oh gawd I just started another war didn't I?)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: biglawhopeful18, Exabot [Bot] and 1 guest