Vent Away!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rundoxierun

Re: Vent Away!

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:21 pm

brokenwindows wrote:hmm.....so much for a place to vent. :?

Oh we are venting..venting about the people who love to reject everything they didnt do well on as "meaningless" and make up excuses.

subtle

Postby subtle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:21 pm

gin wrote:
subtle wrote:Gin--

Why would I waste a seat on someone who has demonstrated himself to be lazy?

What I meant was that they might have done great on teh LSAT but still be lazy and taken a bunch of easy classes for UG

If they have a 3.8 because they took easy classes and they have a high LSAT score, I'm sure it doesn't count as much as a 3.8 in neuroscience and a high LSAT. That said, it's a judgment call. Judgment counts for a lot. If you always take hard classes that you can't do well in, you have poor judgment.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:21 pm

YankeesFan wrote:Remember that law schools give out more offers than they can possibly seat for an incoming class. Withdrawing may just bring the school's numbers to where they wanted them in the first place, without the school having to go to the WL.

this is GENIUS

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:22 pm

edgarfigaro wrote:I think there should be a corollary to Godwin's law that states anyone that brings up their IQ automatically loses the argument.

+1

gin

Postby gin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:22 pm

edgarfigaro wrote:I think there should be a corollary to Godwin's law that states anyone that brings up their IQ automatically loses the argument.

Agreed as long as we also apply it to the LSAT...after all, far all intents and purposes they're the same thing

subtle

Postby subtle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:23 pm

gin wrote:

Agreed as long as we also apply it to the LSAT...after all, far all intents and purposes they're the same thing

Uh. No.

Postby 4102011 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:24 pm

gin wrote:

Damn, I knew I should've studied for that...

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:24 pm

subtle wrote:
gin wrote:

What I meant was that they might have done great on teh LSAT but still be lazy and taken a bunch of easy classes for UG

If they have a 3.8 because they took easy classes and they have a high LSAT score, I'm sure it doesn't count as much as a 3.8 in neuroscience and a high LSAT. That said, it's a judgment call. Judgment counts for a lot. If you always take hard classes that you can't do well in, you have poor judgment.

If the lazy 3.8 has a higher LSAT score than the neuroscience 3.8, even by 1 pt, there is a VERY GOOD chance lazy 3.8 gets the edge. However, with the same LSAT score, my money is on neuroscience guy.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:25 pm

stheskier wrote:
dresden doll wrote:I personally held onto close to 5 acceptances for a bit because my ex and I wanted to relocate but he was struggling getting a job in a different area (and him being able to relocate was a supremely important factor in my decision making process). People have their reasons to holding onto their spots - no one owes you the favor of withdrawing for your sake.

You are dragging your ex to law school w/ you? Good luck with that.
The statement was meant to be more broad, not for my own benefit, and please don't do me any favors...sounds like you need to save them for your ex. :wink:

The ex obviously didn't have that status at the time I was going through my app process. The relationship was more in the 'we're going to stay together for the rest of our lives' category. I would have thought that that much was obvious from the tenor of my post.

Also, my response was broad too. I'm already in LS - I certainly have no stake in people hogging their acceptances, on LSN or otherwise.

emhellmer

Postby emhellmer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:26 pm

gin wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
stheskier wrote:I am surprised at how personal this is being taken. It is just a vent. :roll:
I guess no one else has been personally irked over something. I am intrigued by the fact that some think they know how acceptances and withdraws work exactly, as though it were an exact science.
I am surprised that some people have the ability to go wherever they want in the US, nbd where it is and how much it would cost to travel/move, and so keep their many options close at hand. (Of course this comment will make more people yell at me as though I am an idiot that knows nothing. Think what you want.)
edit: The withdraw comment was directed more towards people that have long lists of acceptances with no money attached.

Umm.. actually, yes. Thats the situation a good portion of us are in. Many of us are still in undergrad or not far out of it.

It really irks me when people try to tell candidates who earned there way into schools what to do with regards to their acceptances.

Ha! earned it!?...don't make me laugh. I don't know about your particular situation but one of the reasons I have a crappy GPA is because unlike most people in my school, I actually took difficult classes instead of easy A's. I had people in some of my "easier" classes struggle and drop the class because it was too difficult, but they still made honors. On the other hand I took difficult classes and missed out on the many A's I could have had and my GPA suffered thanks to that. But schools aparetly don't care about that.
OP...great idea

I'm sorry gin...but polisci is not a hard major. It just isn't.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:27 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
brokenwindows wrote:hmm.....so much for a place to vent. :?

Oh we are venting..venting about the people who love to reject everything they didnt do well on as "meaningless" and make up excuses.

Thank you.

tartugas

Postby tartugas » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:29 pm

ahem

CURSE YOU (insert school of choice here) for continuing to make me wait in LIMBO for information on my applications while LITERALLY MILLIONS of other far, FAR less qualified candidates are comfortably relaxing with a pile of admission letters with huge scholarship offers in their laps.

I worked hard at school. I suffered deprivations untold (well, except of course for those I bragged about overcoming in my PS, WHICH APPARENTLY NO ONE ON YOUR ADCOMM TEAM HAS BOTHERED TO READ YET). I slammed the LSAT. I didn't just break the GPA curve at my school, I ANNIHILATED it. The dean at my school told me personally he wanted to give me a 6.0 and name 3 buildings on campus after me in recognition of my superhuman capabilities. He also had the LOR he wrote for me hand-bound in vellum and placed on permanent display in the library so that future generations might someday have the opportunity to understand what greatness looks like.

Mark my words, oh shameful institute of rhetorical training. You will rue these weeks of pain you have caused my family and friends, who even now tear at their hair and beat their breasts in sympathetic suffering. This pain shall not be forgotten. These days of insult and injury will be remembered. And I will have my vengence!!!

Well... all right, maybe I'll just have another beer and go sit in the corner. Just promise you'll let me know by April, please?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:29 pm

Gin, stop taking your frustration out on the people who got the acceptances you thought you should have had and redirect your anger at the schools who rejected you.

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:29 pm

emhellmer wrote:
gin wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
stheskier wrote:I am surprised at how personal this is being taken. It is just a vent. :roll:
I guess no one else has been personally irked over something. I am intrigued by the fact that some think they know how acceptances and withdraws work exactly, as though it were an exact science.
I am surprised that some people have the ability to go wherever they want in the US, nbd where it is and how much it would cost to travel/move, and so keep their many options close at hand. (Of course this comment will make more people yell at me as though I am an idiot that knows nothing. Think what you want.)
edit: The withdraw comment was directed more towards people that have long lists of acceptances with no money attached.

Umm.. actually, yes. Thats the situation a good portion of us are in. Many of us are still in undergrad or not far out of it.

It really irks me when people try to tell candidates who earned there way into schools what to do with regards to their acceptances.

Ha! earned it!?...don't make me laugh. I don't know about your particular situation but one of the reasons I have a crappy GPA is because unlike most people in my school, I actually took difficult classes instead of easy A's. I had people in some of my "easier" classes struggle and drop the class because it was too difficult, but they still made honors. On the other hand I took difficult classes and missed out on the many A's I could have had and my GPA suffered thanks to that. But schools aparetly don't care about that.
OP...great idea

I'm sorry gin...but polisci is not a hard major. It just isn't.

agreed...try making the "my polisci and philosophy classes were so hard" argument to the engineering majors on TLS...

you will get laughed out of the thread...:D

emhellmer

Postby emhellmer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:31 pm

gin wrote:My Poli Sci classes were jokes (and surpricingly people still struggled). i'm talking about my philosophy classes. In one of them we had a Computer Science graduate who said that class was tougher than some of his Computer Science classes and at the same time I took the advance logic class which was one of the toughest classes in the school (some of the Math professors had trouble solving those problems) of which only 2 of us were able to finish it. Partly it is my fault to take that professor so much and yes it was my choice but when you spend an entire day to solve 1 problem then don't say I did not earned it
Also since people on TLS think that numbers are everything here is one to consider: 138. It is not my LSAT...it is my IQ. But then again my ego does not depend on some stupid score which at most is a poor predictor of how you will do in school

Studies say that 138 is a pretty standard verbal IQ for an attorney.

subtle

Postby subtle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:31 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
subtle wrote:
gin wrote:

If the lazy 3.8 has a higher LSAT score than the neuroscience 3.8, even by 1 pt, there is a VERY GOOD chance lazy 3.8 gets the edge. However, with the same LSAT score, my money is on neuroscience guy.

I meant all things equal, because law schools have made it clear that judgment is important. That's why they tell you to write an essay on the topic of your choosing.

gin

Postby gin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:32 pm

subtle wrote:
gin wrote:

Uh. No.

Why not? Don't you wanna play? I mean both are standarized tests which can be influenced by a wide variety of factors other than intelligence. I mean how many people here took one of those $1000+ classes to study for the LSAT

subtle

Postby subtle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:34 pm

gin wrote:
subtle wrote:
gin wrote:

Uh. No.

Why not? Don't you wanna play? I mean both are standarized tests which can be influenced by a wide variety of factors other than intelligence. I mean how many people here took one of those $1000+ classes to study for the LSAT

Because for intents and purposes they are not the same thing. Law schools accept the LSAT. They don't accept IQs.

edgarfigaro

Postby edgarfigaro » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:36 pm

gin wrote:
subtle wrote:
gin wrote:

Uh. No.

Because one counts for something (that thing being the entire basis of this message board), and one is utterly meaningless.

And the standard response on this board about the $1000 classes is for the most part they're not worth the money unless you can't motivate yourself to study on your own.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:36 pm

gin wrote:
subtle wrote:
gin wrote:

Uh. No.

I sure as hell didn't and I actually don't know anyone here that did (and I know plenty of TLSers outside of TLS). Like it or not, mounds of TLS posters hit the 99 percentile with self-study alone.

stheskier

Postby stheskier » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:36 pm

dresden doll wrote:
The ex obviously didn't have that status at the time I was going through my app process. The relationship was more in the 'we're going to stay together for the rest of our lives' category. I would have thought that that much was obvious from the tenor of my post.

Also, my response was broad too. I'm already in LS - I certainly have no stake in people hogging their acceptances, on LSN or otherwise.

I apparently was not able to read the relationship drama within the lines of your comment. Funny that you used tenor (a smart people's word) and hogging (doesn't mean what you meant it to) within the same post.

EDIT: OK.OK. I'll retract.
Last edited by stheskier on Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pink

Postby Pink » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:37 pm

stheskier wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

For someone who majored in womens studies I am surprised that you allowed a relationship determine which law school you would go to, and I apparently was not able to read the relationship drama within the lines of your comment. Funny that you used tenor (a smart people's word) and hogging (doesn't mean what you meant it to) within the same post.

:shock: Seriously?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:38 pm

gin wrote:Why not? Don't you wanna play? I mean both are standarized tests which can be influenced by a wide variety of factors other than intelligence. I mean how many people here took one of those $1000+ classes to study for the LSAT

I didnt, Im poor. Stop making excuses and just take pride in whatever school you end up at. People like you make me sick. I was born into a lot of bad breaks but I dont use it as an excuse for everything I dont like.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:38 pm

stheskier wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

For someone who majored in womens studies I am surprised that you allowed a relationship determine which law school you would go to, and I apparently was not able to read the relationship drama within the lines of your comment. Funny that you used tenor (a smart people's word) and hogging (doesn't mean what you meant it to) within the same post.

this is dumb.

I've been in a relationship for 4 years and would definitely make sacrifices to some extent to keep us together because we're in it for the long haul.

Just because you wouldn't make the same decision as someone else, don't judge people's decisions without knowing what the fuck you're talking about.

emhellmer

Postby emhellmer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:39 pm

tartugas wrote:ahem

CURSE YOU (insert school of choice here) for continuing to make me wait in LIMBO for information on my applications while LITERALLY MILLIONS of other far, FAR less qualified candidates are comfortably relaxing with a pile of admission letters with huge scholarship offers in their laps.

I worked hard at school. I suffered deprivations untold (well, except of course for those I bragged about overcoming in my PS, WHICH APPARENTLY NO ONE ON YOUR ADCOMM TEAM HAS BOTHERED TO READ YET). I slammed the LSAT. I didn't just break the GPA curve at my school, I ANNIHILATED it. The dean at my school told me personally he wanted to give me a 6.0 and name 3 buildings on campus after me in recognition of my superhuman capabilities. He also had the LOR he wrote for me hand-bound in vellum and placed on permanent display in the library so that future generations might someday have the opportunity to understand what greatness looks like.

Mark my words, oh shameful institute of rhetorical training. You will rue these weeks of pain you have caused my family and friends, who even now tear at their hair and beat their breasts in sympathetic suffering. This pain shall not be forgotten. These days of insult and injury will be remembered. And I will have my vengence!!!

Well... all right, maybe I'll just have another beer and go sit in the corner. Just promise you'll let me know by April, please?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh angry little turtle, I would accept/deny you immediately if it were my law school!

I nominate this for best post ever. :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”