Vent Away!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
edgarfigaro

Re: Vent Away!

Postby edgarfigaro » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:55 pm

The only hard philosophy class is intro to logic. The only hard poli sci class is intro to international relations. The only reason either of those is hard is because of a mandatory curve due to their intro status (and b/c normally they're taught by grad students, and the grad student teaching Intro to IR usually can't speak english worth a damn).

:roll: at the thought that someone that majored in polisci/phil took the "hard" classes that screwed up his/her GPA.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:59 pm

This is the problem with a generation of children being raised told that they are special, unique snowflakes who can do anything they want when they grow up. When they fail to achieve something, something must be wrong with the system. The alternative, that they're not as smart, pretty, and shiny as they were led to believe, is unbearable.

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:59 pm

edgarfigaro wrote:The only hard philosophy class is intro to logic. The only hard poli sci class is intro to international relations. The only reason either of those is hard is because of a mandatory curve due to their intro status (and b/c normally they're taught by grad students, and the grad student teaching Intro to IR usually can't speak english worth a damn).

:roll: at the thought that someone that majored in polisci/phil took the "hard" classes that screwed up his/her GPA.

I was a Politics and Government major and hard classes did screw up my gpa. Hard classes like accounting and business calculus that I took so that I'd be a good candidate at jobs after I graduated. I knew that I had a lower gpa than I might otherwise have had and so I spent a great deal of time studying for the LSAT/working on my softs and figuring up what would be realistic places to apply. I absolutely feel that I earned my way in where I was accepted, and I also took took those classes knowing the risk I was taking, just as I'm sure everyone else who takes challenging classes does too.

Top14Hope

Postby Top14Hope » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:02 pm

TommyK wrote:This is the problem with a generation of children being raised told that they are special, unique snowflakes who can do anything they want when they grow up. When they fail to achieve something, something must be wrong with the system. The alternative, that they're not as smart, pretty, and shiny as they were led to believe, is unbearable.

You clearly never took Behaviorism. We are ALL EQUAL! Besides you of course.

gin

Postby gin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:03 pm

My Poli Sci classes were jokes (and surpricingly people still struggled). i'm talking about my philosophy classes. In one of them we had a Computer Science graduate who said that class was tougher than some of his Computer Science classes and at the same time I took the advance logic class which was one of the toughest classes in the school (some of the Math professors had trouble solving those problems) of which only 2 of us were able to finish it. Partly it is my fault to take that professor so much and yes it was my choice but when you spend an entire day to solve 1 problem then don't say I did not earned it
Also since people on TLS think that numbers are everything here is one to consider: 138. It is not my LSAT...it is my IQ. But then again my ego does not depend on some stupid score which at most is a poor predictor of how you will do in school

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:03 pm

Top14Hope wrote:
TommyK wrote:This is the problem with a generation of children being raised told that they are special, unique snowflakes who can do anything they want when they grow up. When they fail to achieve something, something must be wrong with the system. The alternative, that they're not as smart, pretty, and shiny as they were led to believe, is unbearable.

You clearly never took Behaviorism. We are ALL EQUAL! Besides you of course.

huh?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:04 pm

gin wrote:My Poli Sci classes were jokes (and surpricingly people still struggled). i'm talking about my philosophy classes. In one of them we had a Computer Science graduate who said that class was tougher than some of his Computer Science classes and at the same time I took the advance logic class which was one of the toughest classes in the school (some of the Math professors had trouble solving those problems) of which only 2 of us were able to finish it. Partly it is my fault to take that professor so much and yes it was my choice but when you spend an entire day to solve 1 problem then don't say I did not earned it
Also since people on TLS think that numbers are everything here is one to consider: 138. It is not my LSAT...it is my IQ. But then again my ego does not depend on some stupid score which at most is a poor predictor of how you will do in school

retake :mrgreen:

subtle

Postby subtle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:06 pm

gin wrote:My Poli Sci classes were jokes (and surpricingly people still struggled). i'm talking about my philosophy classes. In one of them we had a Computer Science graduate who said that class was tougher than some of his Computer Science classes and at the same time I took the advance logic class which was one of the toughest classes in the school (some of the Math professors had trouble solving those problems) of which only 2 of us were able to finish it. Partly it is my fault to take that professor so much and yes it was my choice but when you spend an entire day to solve 1 problem then don't say I did not earned it

You just sound whiny.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Yeah, it is confirmed.. your schedule wasnt that hard.. you are just a crybaby.

amers73

Postby amers73 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:07 pm

and is IQ a good predictor of how you will do in LS?

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:07 pm

stheskier wrote:1. I have noticed that there is many people on LSN that are starting to rack up acceptances. Is it really necessary to hold on to over 5 acceptances? Are you really that unsure of where you want to go? I think rather than getting stalked by anonymous people begging you to "please withdraw from X, it is my number one choice" why not just take the initiative to start withdrawing on your own. I see all seats at all law schools as gold, if you aren't positive you want it, let someone else have it.

Why would you let go of a seat if you aren't positive you want it? Please. The only time letting go makes sense is when you're positive you don't want it, regardless of how much money might get tossed at you.

I personally held onto close to 5 acceptances for a bit because my ex and I wanted to relocate but he was struggling getting a job in a different area (and him being able to relocate was a supremely important factor in my decision making process). People have their reasons to holding onto their spots - no one owes you the favor of withdrawing for your sake.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:11 pm

dresden doll wrote:
stheskier wrote:1. I have noticed that there is many people on LSN that are starting to rack up acceptances. Is it really necessary to hold on to over 5 acceptances? Are you really that unsure of where you want to go? I think rather than getting stalked by anonymous people begging you to "please withdraw from X, it is my number one choice" why not just take the initiative to start withdrawing on your own. I see all seats at all law schools as gold, if you aren't positive you want it, let someone else have it.

Why would you let go of a seat if you aren't positive you want it? Please. The only time letting go makes sense is when you're positive you don't want it, regardless of how much money might get tossed at you.

I personally held onto close to 5 acceptances for a bit because my ex and I wanted to relocate but he was struggling getting a job in a different area (and him being able to relocate was a supremely important factor in my decision making process). People have their reasons to holding onto their spots - no one owes you the favor of withdrawing for your sake.

holy moley! Look what you did, OP! You made me agree with Dresden Doll. This has literally _never_ happened. I hope you're happy.

gin

Postby gin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:12 pm

subtle wrote:

You just sound whiny.

I probably am but that is why I'm on the Vent thread. I probably should have just majored in Engineering and that whay I wouldn't have to deal with any of this crap
amers73 wrote:and is IQ a good predictor of how you will do in LS?

No and that is teh point I'm trying to make. On the aggregate IQs and the LSAT are good predictors but when you narrow it down to the individual they are crappy predictors. They don't take into consideration cultural diferences when taking teh test or the person just been lazy when they are in school. But here in TLS (and sadly enough Laws Schools) everything revolves around numbers. You have no idea how many times I've seen people call other idiots in here just because they have a lower score without knowing anything else about teh person
Edit: As for my "IQ"...I think it's crap and I've never given it much importance. I just thought I'd share it here to make a point
Last edited by gin on Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:13 pm

TommyK wrote:
holy moley! Look what you did, OP! You made me agree with Dresden Doll. This has literally _never_ happened. I hope you're happy.

Huh?

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:13 pm

tkgrrett wrote:

Yeah, it is confirmed.. your schedule wasnt that hard.. you are just a crybaby.

+1...shut up.

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:14 pm

amers73 wrote:and is IQ a good predictor of how you will do in LS?

IDK but they're both timed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQM1YKyuIUk

subtle

Postby subtle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:15 pm

Gin--

Why would I waste a seat on someone who has demonstrated himself to be lazy?

jpk5372

Postby jpk5372 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:16 pm

Imagine all the TLSers.....living in harmonyyyyyyyyyy

gin

Postby gin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:17 pm

subtle wrote:Gin--

Why would I waste a seat on someone who has demonstrated himself to be lazy?

What I meant was that they might have done great on teh LSAT but still be lazy and taken a bunch of easy classes for UG

brokenwindows

Postby brokenwindows » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:18 pm

hmm.....so much for a place to vent. :?

Postby 4102011 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:20 pm

Reading this thread was fun <3

But one thing I dont get is the whole "I was lazy in undergrad!" GPA excuse. Not exactly a great selling point when you're applying for more school.

edgarfigaro

Postby edgarfigaro » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:20 pm

I think there should be a corollary to Godwin's law that states anyone that brings up their IQ automatically loses the argument.

stheskier

Postby stheskier » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:20 pm

dresden doll wrote:I personally held onto close to 5 acceptances for a bit because my ex and I wanted to relocate but he was struggling getting a job in a different area (and him being able to relocate was a supremely important factor in my decision making process). People have their reasons to holding onto their spots - no one owes you the favor of withdrawing for your sake.

You are dragging your ex to law school w/ you? Good luck with that.
The statement was meant to be more broad, not for my own benefit, and please don't do me any favors...sounds like you need to save them for your ex. :wink:

gin

Postby gin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:20 pm

brokenwindows wrote:hmm.....so much for a place to vent. :?

Go ahead...just remember that alot of people here don't like it when people challange their little world views and have to dicks. Don't worry tho...I'll defend you :wink:

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:20 pm

brokenwindows wrote:hmm.....so much for a place to vent. :?

Even in the rant thread, you'll get called out if you rant for something others perceive as unworthy of your anger.

Anyway, insofar as it helps you gain some perspective, it can be useful to have people shut you down when you vent.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”