Vent Away! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Re: Vent Away!

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:29 am

arism87 wrote:I've complained about this before but I will again: why do we (TLS) always assume that a major that is easy in one school is easy at another? I will go ahead and preface this by saying I was lazy as shit in college and mostly just drank 5 nights a week, and still I ended up with a 3.8, so no REAL complaints here.

That said, my poli sci classes were pretty hard. Maybe I just have nothing "hard" to compare them to, but calc was 10x easier for me.

Which brings me to my next point- what's hard for one person might not be hard for another. It's not hard to imagine an engineer struggling in an English lit class.

That said, it would be your own damn fault for studying something you're bad at
, but still. Perhaps the difficulty in comparing majors across schools/between people is exactly why law schools don't seem to do much of it.
I also think there were certain classes that were challenging in the course material--naturally if they were THAT easy, I'd be able to coast by with a better GPA regardless of how much I partied. But I DO know that someone who was a NPB (neuro-physical biology) major would NOT have pulled a 2.9 with my study habits. They probably wouldn't have made it through college at all. It's not a matter of the subject being harder, per se, but rather simply more time-intensive.

It's possible a NPB major with a 3.8 might have bombed certain PS/Philo classes I took because of their writing skills, but they still would have found it overall 'easier' in the sense that it involved less rote memorization/labs/technical reading and more interpretation of events/facts.

kch3684

Bronze

Post by kch3684 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:45 am

My GPA pisses me off. I transferred spring of sophomore year - halfway thru the semester I found out which credits my new school would take and which they wouldn't. I stopped going to the classes that weren't transferring because why bother? Those 3-4 zeros/1.0's are biting me in the ass now. You'd think that after they read my addendum (which they probably don't read anyway) they'd be impressed with my time management skills and ability to prioritize (ha!) and look at my GPA from where I graduated - a 3.6 - but no, all they see is the 3.1

edit - PLUS I've been out of school 5 years! And still they see the 3.1

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:24 am

Vent for today - I am not going to check status checkers anymore. If i see a lot of people posting on TLS theirs changed, I might check on my phone. The end.

superhands

New

Post by superhands » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:45 pm

I applied to one of my target schools in early November and decided to place my application on hold because I registered for the December LSAT. I called the Admissions Office at said school to request that the hold be removed now that the scores have been released. Within hours of making that call, I saw that my status checker indicated that I was accepted. I was able to breath a sigh of relief, but then the pessimist in me began to wonder about the lightning speed admission decision. I called the Admissions Office again and asked if my acceptance was all a mistake, and unfortunately, it was.

Now I think I'm going to hold my knees and sob in the shower until the hot water runs out.

justhoping

Bronze

Post by justhoping » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:50 pm

superhands wrote:I applied to one of my target schools in early November and decided to place my application on hold because I registered for the December LSAT. I called the Admissions Office at said school to request that the hold be removed now that the scores have been released. Within hours of making that call, I saw that my status checker indicated that I was accepted. I was able to breath a sigh of relief, but then the pessimist in me began to wonder about the lightning speed admission decision. I called the Admissions Office again and asked if my acceptance was all a mistake, and unfortunately, it was.

Now I think I'm going to hold my knees and sob in the shower until the hot water runs out.
:shock: that's awful, hope they'll eventually admit you anyways (whether due to your new LSAT or whatever).
and wow i just got on here to vent my anxiety over the many waitlist i've been put on, but your story is a lot sadder.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amers73

Bronze

Post by amers73 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:02 pm

Sandro wrote:Vent for today - I am not going to check status checkers anymore. If i see a lot of people posting on TLS theirs changed, I might check on my phone. The end.
+1 gave up checking awhile ago.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:05 pm

superhands wrote:I applied to one of my target schools in early November and decided to place my application on hold because I registered for the December LSAT. I called the Admissions Office at said school to request that the hold be removed now that the scores have been released. Within hours of making that call, I saw that my status checker indicated that I was accepted. I was able to breath a sigh of relief, but then the pessimist in me began to wonder about the lightning speed admission decision. I called the Admissions Office again and asked if my acceptance was all a mistake, and unfortunately, it was.

Threaten to sue for acute emotional distress if they don't accept you.

Lou9

Bronze

Post by Lou9 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:09 pm

I'm not sure if this is appropriate, but I'M ALMOST OUT OF JAMESON!!!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Lou9 wrote:I'm not sure if this is appropriate, but I'M ALMOST OUT OF JAMESON!!!
superhands needs the remainder of your bottle.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lou9

Bronze

Post by Lou9 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:11 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Lou9 wrote:I'm not sure if this is appropriate, but I'M ALMOST OUT OF JAMESON!!!
Sorry, I'm soooo not a team player when it comes to my booze.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:22 pm

time to walk to the liquor store.

superhands

New

Post by superhands » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:25 pm

Lou9 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
Sorry, I'm soooo not a team player when it comes to my booze.
If you can't share things that are bad for you, then you may have a problem.

dcbound

New

Post by dcbound » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:14 pm

Someone who has spent four years working their ass off at getting a high GPA from an ivy league school (which has already caused massive debt) gets denied to a school.

Someone who has a 2.8 from some random state school but a higher LSAT score gets accepted right off the bat at that same school.

Yeah.

There is something wrong with that.

F U LSATS.

F U U.S. News

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:30 pm

dcbound wrote:Someone who has spent four years working their ass off at getting a high GPA from an ivy league school (which has already caused massive debt) gets denied to a school.

Someone who has a 2.8 from some random state school but a higher LSAT score gets accepted right off the bat at that same school.

Yeah.

F U LSATS.

F U U.S. News

How much higher ? 1 point ?

dcbound

New

Post by dcbound » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:36 pm

Sandro wrote:
dcbound wrote:Someone who has spent four years working their ass off at getting a high GPA from an ivy league school (which has already caused massive debt) gets denied to a school.

Yeah.

F U LSATS.

F U U.S. News

A couple. Either way. One test that takes a few hours is more important that four years of dedicated, hard work??

It's really something....

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:40 pm

dcbound wrote:
Sandro wrote:

Yeah.

F U LSATS.

F U U.S. News

A couple. Either way. One test that takes a few hours is more important that four years of dedicated, hard work??

Yea that sucks. and also the reason why I got into my #1 choice

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:37 pm

FUCK WASHINGTON AND LEE, EVEN THOUGH I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT GOING THERE HOW DARE THEY REJECT ME...fuckers

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bistduverrueckt

Bronze

Post by bistduverrueckt » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:49 pm

My vent is directed at the USPS and bad weather. I WANT MY VCE SO PLEASE STOP LOSING MY MAIL!!!!!!!!! (I had something else non law school related I was expecting actually get lost and had to be re-sent so I know for a fact my mail has been getting lost).

dcbound

New

Post by dcbound » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:31 pm

Sandro wrote:
dcbound wrote:
Sandro wrote:

Yeah.

F U LSATS.

F U U.S. News

Yea that sucks. and also the reason why I got into my #1 choice

--ImageRemoved--

bayougrl26

New

Post by bayougrl26 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:30 pm

Looking at the last five years GPA - 3.85

LSAC GPA - 3.38

Coupled with a low LSAT score, and I'm getting nowhere! Yay! :|

ryanw5520

New

Post by ryanw5520 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:37 pm

FU Depaul... don't worry though I'm alright. Albany and Oklahoma just extended my deadline, and it seems UMKC is begging me (not that I am going to apply to any of them), but when I go to Cooley or whatever other TTT school might accept me I'm gonna kick your moot court teams ass, and then I'm going to send you an LOCI for a transfer. When you accept my transfer request I'm going to withdraw. I'll say "how does it feel?"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:54 pm

I hate that more of my choices aren't located on the University of Miami's campus!

AlexTrebek

New

Post by AlexTrebek » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:02 pm

amers73 wrote:
Sandro wrote:Vent for today - I am not going to check status checkers anymore. If i see a lot of people posting on TLS theirs changed, I might check on my phone. The end.
+1 gave up checking awhile ago.
The worst though is when you get an email on your phone (and you know it's for you law-relevant account) and you rush to check it....only to see that it's some stupid ass email

LttleBlakDress

Bronze

Post by LttleBlakDress » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:22 pm

I have two topics to vent about:

1. Since LSAC does not count my study abroad GPA, I am being judged by these law schools based on my poor performance in core classes like Calculus from my first two years of college, and from the 3.1 gpa I maintained when I was working full time for my last semester of college. My 3.5 from my academically rigorous program and internship during my time abroad matters not at all. There is no way I can take community college classes or do anything else to improve these numbers.

2. Some states give tax-paying citizens an advantage on admissions. California is not one of these states. I have lived in California for my entire life and my parents and I have paid a huge amount of taxes to fund the state educational system, and yet they are accepting candidates with lower indexes (but higher gpa's) from out of state instead of me. Thank you California for giving me no local options so that if I want to be an attorney, I have to end up in another state.

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:40 pm

Vent:

1) I am incredibly annoyed that it took THE ONLY school I applied to 3.5 months to waitlist me.
2) (referencing the beginning of this thread) I am annoyed that there are soooo many people that have ridiculously unfair full-rides for having 1 or 2 points higher on the LSAT that are just holding on to them knowing they won't go. GIVE IT UP.
3) I am annoyed that I didn't retake the LSAT and wish I would have known that my cycle (and full-ride potential) would come down to 2 points.
4) I am annoyed that I'll probably have to wait another year to go to LS.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”