Vent Away!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Vent Away!

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:15 pm

I'm not going to address all the quarrels over the (in)validity of LSAT but i will say that I did quite well and (1) English isn't even my first language (I moved to the States when I was 17); (2) I had zero money for prep courses (my family's income is laughable from the American perspective) and (3) I'm no genius. Fair or not, I tend to have little patience for LSAT-related excuses.

Curry

Re: Vent Away!

Postby Curry » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:16 pm

gin wrote:
Curry wrote:
gin wrote:
subtle wrote:Uhm. I didn't say that.

Also, you're changing what you're ranting against because you're not doing a very good job of conveying anything.

Sorry if you didn't say that...I don;t really understand the whole quotation thing when you are trying to quote several people
Also, I'm a big believer in fighting fire with fire...especially when you've already tried to be nice about it
It is a vent thread so I'm not sure what people are doing here trying to put down people whoa are already anxious and/or down which is what set me off in the first place


You bragged about your IQ but you can't figure out how to read the quotations?

I didn't brag...I used it to make a point. If you haven't noticed I've said plenty of times that it is crap


Um... your point was to more or less brag. hth

User avatar
gin
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby gin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:24 pm

dresden doll wrote:I'm not going to address all the quarrels over the (in)validity of LSAT but i will say that I did quite well and (1) English isn't even my first language (I moved to the States when I was 17); (2) I had zero money for prep courses (my family's income is laughable from the American perspective) and (3) I'm no genius. Fair or not, I tend to have little patience for LSAT-related excuses.

That's great but statistically speacking you are an outlier.
[If i wanted to brag I would parade around on a t-shirt saying it, I would study and take it again and try and join one of those dickish High IQ societies
As for the LSAT... I didn't do great but I didn't do terrible. I know what I missed and it was my fault. I'm not trying to make excuses.
Edit: dam those quotes

Curry

Re: Vent Away!

Postby Curry » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:27 pm

gin wrote:
dresden doll wrote:I'm not going to address all the quarrels over the (in)validity of LSAT but i will say that I did quite well and (1) English isn't even my first language (I moved to the States when I was 17); (2) I had zero money for prep courses (my family's income is laughable from the American perspective) and (3) I'm no genius. Fair or not, I tend to have little patience for LSAT-related excuses.

That's great but statistically speacking you are an outlier.[If i wanted to brag I would parade around on a t-shirt saying it, I would study and take it again and try and join one of those dickish High IQ societies
As for the LSAT... I didn't do great but I didn't do terrible. I know what I missed and it was my fault. I'm not trying to make excuses.
Edit: dam those quotes


If you study, and I mean REALLY study for the LSAT, most of the time (there are some exceptions here), there is no reason why you can't break 160. And REALLY studying does not mean "i read the lg bible and took 3 practice tests."

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Vent Away!

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:28 pm

gin wrote:
dresden doll wrote:I'm not going to address all the quarrels over the (in)validity of LSAT but i will say that I did quite well and (1) English isn't even my first language (I moved to the States when I was 17); (2) I had zero money for prep courses (my family's income is laughable from the American perspective) and (3) I'm no genius. Fair or not, I tend to have little patience for LSAT-related excuses.

That's great but statistically speacking you are an outlier.[If i wanted to brag I would parade around on a t-shirt saying it, I would study and take it again and try and join one of those dickish High IQ societies
As for the LSAT... I didn't do great but I didn't do terrible. I know what I missed and it was my fault. I'm not trying to make excuses.
Edit: dam those quotes


My post wasn't necessarily aimed at anyone. It was just a general commentary on the 'only uber privileged who can afford to pay for tutors do well on the LSAT' sentiment that appears to be pretty pervasive around these parts.

User avatar
dan e g baby
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:11 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby dan e g baby » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:28 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:
Emma1 wrote:I agree! I also can't stand when posters on LSN beg others to withdraw from schools. Take the LSAT again and stop whining!


People actually do that? Thats kinda pathetic.


considering?

Curry

Re: Vent Away!

Postby Curry » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:30 pm

dresden doll wrote:
gin wrote:
dresden doll wrote:I'm not going to address all the quarrels over the (in)validity of LSAT but i will say that I did quite well and (1) English isn't even my first language (I moved to the States when I was 17); (2) I had zero money for prep courses (my family's income is laughable from the American perspective) and (3) I'm no genius. Fair or not, I tend to have little patience for LSAT-related excuses.

That's great but statistically speacking you are an outlier.[If i wanted to brag I would parade around on a t-shirt saying it, I would study and take it again and try and join one of those dickish High IQ societies
As for the LSAT... I didn't do great but I didn't do terrible. I know what I missed and it was my fault. I'm not trying to make excuses.
Edit: dam those quotes


My post wasn't necessarily aimed at anyone. It was just a general commentary on the 'only uber privileged who can afford to pay for tutors do well on the LSAT' sentiment that appears to be pretty pervasive around these parts.


I'm agreeing with dresden doll here... It is perfectly possible to study for the lsat with very little money on hand.

User avatar
gin
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby gin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:36 pm

dresden doll wrote:
gin wrote:
dresden doll wrote:I'm not going to address all the quarrels over the (in)validity of LSAT but i will say that I did quite well and (1) English isn't even my first language (I moved to the States when I was 17); (2) I had zero money for prep courses (my family's income is laughable from the American perspective) and (3) I'm no genius. Fair or not, I tend to have little patience for LSAT-related excuses.

That's great but statistically speacking you are an outlier.[If i wanted to brag I would parade around on a t-shirt saying it, I would study and take it again and try and join one of those dickish High IQ societies
As for the LSAT... I didn't do great but I didn't do terrible. I know what I missed and it was my fault. I'm not trying to make excuses.
Edit: dam those quotes


My post wasn't necessarily aimed at anyone. It was just a general commentary on the 'only uber privileged who can afford to pay for tutors do well on the LSAT' sentiment that appears to be pretty pervasive around these parts.

My apologies then. I'm just a little to wrapped up with this (probably a little to wrapped up)

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby Gotti » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:38 pm

gin wrote:My apologies then. I'm just a little to wrapped up with this (probably a little to wrapped up)

SPELLING.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Vent Away!

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:40 pm

gin wrote:My apologies then. I'm just a little to wrapped up with this (probably a little to wrapped up)


Seeing that you actually refrained from taking potshots at my personal life, I think you're doing pretty well on the politeness scale, at least by the standards of this thread.

polinerdemory
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:37 am

Re: Vent Away!

Postby polinerdemory » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:57 pm

This thread reminds why I never really post on this site. That said, God, this site is great for entertainment's sake.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:07 pm

The only vent I can muster right now is that I haven't seen movement in two weeks. three of my applications have gone stale (WL?), one is freshly moving past the date by which I should have heard from them, and two others are just being so super slow. I just want it to be over.

Oh, and of course, gd financial aid requirements!!

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:36 am

Here's my vent, I'll try to keep it related to the thread.

I hate it when people with low GPA's and no good reason for them try to make excuses for their GPA...and this is coming from someone with a sub-3.0. I had easy fucking majors (ironically, the same ones as gin), but my GPA comes from a combination of multiple family members being diagnosed with cancer in the same month, partying, and laziness. If you procrastinated your way into your situation, fucking own up to it and take responsibility. The more you try to pretend like a bullshit PS or Philo major was 'hard', the less likely you're going to learn from your mistakes and develop better study habits in law school.

Similarly, I hate it when reverse splitters make excuses for themselves. Just like us splitters should learn to own up to our shitty GPAs and maybe grow from our fail, so should you. I'm not talking to the reverse splitter who already improved 15-20 points. I'm talking about you reverse splitters who 'sorta studied' on and off and then expected to get a 165-170 and refuse to retake/study more, and then come on TLS to bitch about how LSAT 'means nothing' and how it's so 'stupid' that 'lazy people' who have lower GPA's are 'taking your spots'. Get the fuck over yourselves.

/rant

Disclaimer: this is a rant, everything said above is hyperbolic. tl;dr is basically 'bitches stop whining unless you have a legit reason. no one owes you shit.'

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby northwood » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:44 am

im starting to get annoyed by all of the posters who whine that people with multiple acceptances need to make up their minds yesterday. If you have the numbers and the options to get in, thats fantastic for you. You are rewarded by being able to take as long as you neeed until april 1st to make a final decision. You get to see the final numbers, and do more research. Just because you applied to a lot of reaches, or didnt knock the application out of the park ( i. e. lsat) doesnt mean that anyone who did, should have to make a major life decision so you can possibly get in. If you applied late- and didnt like how it goes, well then, wait until september, and apply. If you get a better lsat, then you will be in the drivers seat next cycle.

This is a big decision. IF you have multiple options- you have earned the right to take your sweet time in making a decision. ( and by sweet time you have until april 1). IF you are on the waitlist- then do what you can to get bumped closer to the front of the line, make a plan, and follow through with it( assuming you are waiting for a reach school).

lawschool12345
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby lawschool12345 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:50 am

northwood wrote:im starting to get annoyed by all of the posters who whine that people with multiple acceptances need to make up their minds yesterday. If you have the numbers and the options to get in, thats fantastic for you. You are rewarded by being able to take as long as you neeed until april 1st to make a final decision. You get to see the final numbers, and do more research. Just because you applied to a lot of reaches, or didnt knock the application out of the park ( i. e. lsat) doesnt mean that anyone who did, should have to make a major life decision so you can possibly get in. If you applied late- and didnt like how it goes, well then, wait until september, and apply. If you get a better lsat, then you will be in the drivers seat next cycle.

This is a big decision. IF you have multiple options- you have earned the right to take your sweet time in making a decision. ( and by sweet time you have until april 1). IF you are on the waitlist- then do what you can to get bumped closer to the front of the line, make a plan, and follow through with it( assuming you are waiting for a reach school).



as someone on waitlists, i couldnt agree with this more, you earn the acceptance, make the right decisions for you not for anyone else

User avatar
Longhorn88
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:40 am

Re: Vent Away!

Postby Longhorn88 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:14 am

Jesus H. Christ, the thread might be the single greatest example of what's wrong with our generation. Here's a kicker for all of you.

Life's not fair.

Get over it.

User avatar
Longhorn88
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:40 am

Re: Vent Away!

Postby Longhorn88 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:15 am

That said,

WHY HAVEN'T MY LETTERS BEEN PROCESSED

caligulove
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby caligulove » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:26 am

confession: I hate TLS. I hate everything about it. I hate all the wondering, the whining, the arguing. I hate all the late nights I stay up for TLS, all while getting nothing in return. I hate what it does to my self esteem as I realize that it treats others better than me. I hate that I spend hours out of the day committed to it when it doesn't even know I'm here. And yet...

I can't look away. I can't bring myself to leave you TLS...

...

confession: I heart you.

User avatar
sUkNoIrzTforEall
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:18 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby sUkNoIrzTforEall » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:46 am

i hate that i'm so preoccupied with waiting to hear from schools that this is the best thing i can think of to do.

here's the thing: you only need to be accepted to ONE law school to become an attorney. i've done that, and i like the school a whole lot.

so why should i worry about hearing more news? right? right.

except W&L has had me in review since the 20th. i'm DYING to know (more like, living to know?) and practically--ok, actually--pleading with god about it.

life is so chaotic and random, it's hard to trust the outcome will be what's best. yet trust, i do. not enough not to post here. but enough.

ryanw5520
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:52 pm

LSAC seriously???

Postby ryanw5520 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:13 am

'Bout to vent like a coors light can......

First, LSAC is a fucking racket. After all is said and done most kids are popping out four hundred bucks for your shitty and slow service, LSAT reg, and school fees. God help you if you pay for a prep class on your own (no prep here, I'm broke but not broke enough for a waiver apparently).

Second, Is anyone else's buddies who are in law school or recently graduated telling them it is hard to find a job? I'm getting this left and right and frankly go shove it up your ass. They tell me this like my pizza delivery job is in high fucking demand, seriously??? I've been pennyless before and I'm not afraid to be pennyless again, the knowledge (and debt :wink: ) is with me forever. Is anybody, other then door-to-door surveyors, hiring political scientists right now, doubt it?

Third, people who complain about getting denied to there school can go suck it. Nobody cares how "well-bred" you were. Here is some insight, maybe because your so well bred is half your fucking problem. Take risks, experience hardship, live a little, inquire as to why it isn't all based on academics. You need to know that your school is going to provide professionals for the community it serves and the nation as a whole. Because later in life you may be asked to pass judgement on them it is important for you to relate to those people, and if you can't possibly relate to the person who is going to jail b/c they're busted for their third offense of no proof of auto insurance and they claim it's impossible to afford on their meager living yet they need to get to work yada yada yada, then you shouldn't qualify to hold the position.


grammer nerds need not respond.

Curry

Re: Vent Away!

Postby Curry » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:31 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Here's my vent, I'll try to keep it related to the thread.

I hate it when people with low GPA's and no good reason for them try to make excuses for their GPA...and this is coming from someone with a sub-3.0. I had easy fucking majors (ironically, the same ones as gin), but my GPA comes from a combination of multiple family members being diagnosed with cancer in the same month, partying, and laziness. If you procrastinated your way into your situation, fucking own up to it and take responsibility. The more you try to pretend like a bullshit PS or Philo major was 'hard', the less likely you're going to learn from your mistakes and develop better study habits in law school.

Similarly, I hate it when reverse splitters make excuses for themselves. Just like us splitters should learn to own up to our shitty GPAs and maybe grow from our fail, so should you. I'm not talking to the reverse splitter who already improved 15-20 points. I'm talking about you reverse splitters who 'sorta studied' on and off and then expected to get a 165-170 and refuse to retake/study more, and then come on TLS to bitch about how LSAT 'means nothing' and how it's so 'stupid' that 'lazy people' who have lower GPA's are 'taking your spots'. Get the fuck over yourselves.

/rant

Disclaimer: this is a rant, everything said above is hyperbolic. tl;dr is basically 'bitches stop whining unless you have a legit reason. no one owes you shit.'


Hey Crumpets. Kindly get the fuck out. Thanks.

<3 Curry

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Vent Away!

Postby tomwatts » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:12 am

For a thread with so much promise (random venting about schools/apps/law), this thread shows a remarkable degree of suck. More venting, less stupid arguing.

How about this? Screw you, US News & World Report, for making people think that there is a substantive difference in quality among, say, U of Oregon, U Seattle, and Santa Clara, all of which are ranked somewhat differently. Rankings make sense in broad sweeps (clearly there's a difference between, say, Stanford and USF), but the level of precision that USNWR gives is misleadingly high.

Oh yeah, and that LR question about the difference between beauty and truth? I HATE explaining that question. It's too convoluted. I can deal with riddled basins of attraction, dinos, whatever, but this middle finger is for that question.

I guess I'm not funny, but hey, it's venting. The ding bar can be funny. We can just be annoyed.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:53 am

Curry wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Here's my vent, I'll try to keep it related to the thread.

I hate it when people with low GPA's and no good reason for them try to make excuses for their GPA...and this is coming from someone with a sub-3.0. I had easy fucking majors (ironically, the same ones as gin), but my GPA comes from a combination of multiple family members being diagnosed with cancer in the same month, partying, and laziness. If you procrastinated your way into your situation, fucking own up to it and take responsibility. The more you try to pretend like a bullshit PS or Philo major was 'hard', the less likely you're going to learn from your mistakes and develop better study habits in law school.

Similarly, I hate it when reverse splitters make excuses for themselves. Just like us splitters should learn to own up to our shitty GPAs and maybe grow from our fail, so should you. I'm not talking to the reverse splitter who already improved 15-20 points. I'm talking about you reverse splitters who 'sorta studied' on and off and then expected to get a 165-170 and refuse to retake/study more, and then come on TLS to bitch about how LSAT 'means nothing' and how it's so 'stupid' that 'lazy people' who have lower GPA's are 'taking your spots'. Get the fuck over yourselves.

/rant

Disclaimer: this is a rant, everything said above is hyperbolic. tl;dr is basically 'bitches stop whining unless you have a legit reason. no one owes you shit.'


Hey Crumpets. Kindly get the fuck out. Thanks.

<3 Curry


:lol: :lol: Don't be bitter cause I called you out, Curry.

Oh wait...you're not a splitter OR a reverse splitter. Damn you!! *shakes fist*

User avatar
bigjinjapan
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:02 am

Re: Vent Away!

Postby bigjinjapan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:42 am

I hate how easy LSAC makes it to apply to multiple schools. I applied to 15(!) so I'm as guilty as anyone else, but I feel like the whole system is made to abuse. If you actually had to mail in a big packet, file separate LOR and transcript reqs for every school I certainly would have applied to a lot fewer (can you imagine asking your LOR writers to mail 15 copies out? or sending them 15 SAS envelopes?). A lot of people point to the growing number of applications each cycle as a sign of the bad economy, and I imagine there's truth in that. But I think it's also likely that people hop on LSAC and think 'What the hell, why not blanket the T14 and everybody else who sent me a fee waiver?' Then you've got all the schools sending out those fee waivers, that only encourages more indiscriminate applications (for which LSAC still gets their $12 a pop...for sending a fucking email). The application process is imperfect and painful enough, and that's only compounded when the number of apps/applicant increases.

I will diagram it like so:

For admissions: easier application process=>more applications (including more from less-committed applicants)=>longer, less certain application process=>more withdrawals=>more genuinely committed and/or qualified applicants getting the shaft=>more stress among the applicant pool=>flame wars on TLS forums

For the applicant: easier application process=>more applications/applicant (including more reach/'why not?' applications)=>longer, less certain application period=>more stress and indecision=>flame wars on TLS forums

food for thought :idea:

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Vent Away!

Postby arism87 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:58 am

I've complained about this before but I will again: why do we (TLS) always assume that a major that is easy in one school is easy at another? I will go ahead and preface this by saying I was lazy as shit in college and mostly just drank 5 nights a week, and still I ended up with a 3.8, so no REAL complaints here.

That said, my poli sci classes were pretty hard. Maybe I just have nothing "hard" to compare them to, but calc was 10x easier for me.

Which brings me to my next point- what's hard for one person might not be hard for another. It's not hard to imagine an engineer struggling in an English lit class.

That said, it would be your own damn fault for studying something you're bad at, but still. Perhaps the difficulty in comparing majors across schools/between people is exactly why law schools don't seem to do much of it.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ac8876a, carlos_danger, cyclawps, fscow1022, Google Adsense [Bot], malysh, okf731, RickyBunny, ThorB, yuppitsme and 14 guests