Vent Away!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stheskier

Vent Away!

Postby stheskier » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:33 pm

I have been planning this thread in my head for days. Vent...about whatever you want pertaining to acceptances, denials, waitlists, etc. (but save the dings for the other thread).

I have a couple.

1. I have noticed that there is many people on LSN that are starting to rack up acceptances. Is it really necessary to hold on to over 10 acceptances? Are you really that unsure of where you want to go? I think rather than getting stalked by anonymous people begging you to "please withdraw from X, it is my number one choice" why not just take the initiative to start withdrawing on your own. I see all seats at all law schools as gold, if you aren't positive you want it, let someone else have it.

2. It seems as if we are in the twilight zone, where the exact experiences and questions we asked and answered in november/december threads are getting asked again. I especially love reading "sorry if this has already been asked". Don't say that because it has, just take the time to read a thread when you tag it so that the painful cycle doesn't have to be experienced again and again.

yep.
Last edited by stheskier on Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

subtle

Re: Vent Away!

Postby subtle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:42 pm

Someone's crankyyyyyyy.

People hold onto acceptances for lots of reasons--they're super unsure, they want to see if they can leverage money, etc. Let people manage their cycles how they want. Besides, there's no guarantee that if so and so withdraws his/her application that Timmy over there who is begging him/her to do so will get his/her spot.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:44 pm

Remember that law schools give out more offers than they can possibly seat for an incoming class. Withdrawing may just bring the school's numbers to where they wanted them in the first place, without the school having to go to the WL.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:46 pm

stheskier wrote:I have been planning this thread in my head for days. Vent...about whatever you want pertaining to acceptances, denials, waitlists, etc. (but save the dings for the other thread).

I have a couple.

1. I have noticed that there is many people on LSN that are starting to rack up acceptances. Is it really necessary to hold on to over 5 acceptances? Are you really that unsure of where you want to go? I think rather than getting stalked by anonymous people begging you to "please withdraw from X, it is my number one choice" why not just take the initiative to start withdrawing on your own. I see all seats at all law schools as gold, if you aren't positive you want it, let someone else have it.

2. It seems as if we are in the twilight zone, where the exact experiences and questions we asked and answered in november/december threads are getting asked again. I especially love reading "sorry if this has already been asked". Don't say that because it has, just take the time to read a thread when you tag it so that the painful cycle doesn't have to be experienced again and again.

yep.

1. Some people have withdrawn from schools they are not going to attend but it is very early in the cycle to expect people with multiple acceptances to do so unless they are positive they DON'T want to go to a particilar school or have made a final choice.

2. If you don't want to answer a question that has been asked before just don't do so. I don't mind answering a quuestion that has been asked before.
Last edited by Emma1 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:48 pm

You've been planning a TLS posting for days?

Also, schools have it pretty close to a science on how many students traditionally accept the seat that is offered. Just because a student decides to let their backup schools know they aren't interested doesn't mean they'll be reaching into their backup candidates immediately.

Having choices is the benefit of being a good candidate. If you want to have choices, study for your LSAT longer, or work harder to get a good gpa.

I'm holding onto my acceptances until I know for sure I won't attend. If there's a .1% chance I'll attend, I'll keep them as an option until it's 0.0%. I don't want to make any choice right now until I have as much information as possible.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:55 pm

I agree! I also can't stand when posters on LSN beg others to withdraw from schools. Take the LSAT again and stop whining!
Last edited by Emma1 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

almightypush

Postby almightypush » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:55 pm

TommyK wrote:I'm holding onto my acceptances until I know for sure I won't attend. If there's a .1% chance I'll attend, I'll keep them as an option until it's 0.0%. I don't want to make any choice right now until I have as much information as possible.

pretty much sums it up.

oh, and OP... why are you so mad, bro?

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:56 pm

I will hold on to every acceptance until the last possible day just to prevent other people from getting in.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:56 pm

I just love the irony that this has indeed turned into a vent session - against the op.

stheskier

Postby stheskier » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:58 pm

I am surprised at how personal this is being taken. It is just a vent. :roll:
I guess no one else has been personally irked over something. I am intrigued by the fact that some think they know how acceptances and withdraws work exactly, as though it were an exact science.
I am surprised that some people have the ability to go wherever they want in the US, nbd where it is and how much it would cost to travel/move, and so keep their many options close at hand. (Of course this comment will make more people yell at me as though I am an idiot that knows nothing. Think what you want.)
edit: The withdraw comment was directed more towards people that have long lists of acceptances with no money attached.
Last edited by stheskier on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:59 pm

TommyK wrote:I'm holding onto my acceptances until I know for sure I won't attend. If there's a .1% chance I'll attend, I'll keep them as an option until it's 0.0%. I don't want to make any choice right now until I have as much information as possible.

TommyK says it all right here. People incorporate ASW, scholly info, etc. into decisions and for a lot of schools, these are things that won't happen for a month+.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:01 pm

law_monkey wrote:I just love the irony that this has indeed turned into a vent session - against the op.

ha, I was definitely just joking in my response. I only applied to six schools, and three of those were because I got a fee waiver (UVA, UCLA, USC). I only intended to apply to three schools (UGA, Vandy, Texas). I'd love to attend any of these, but I imagine I will be withdrawing from any of these that do not offer money, not to mention I could easily be rejected from all but UGA. USC is even iffy.

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:03 pm

Emma1 wrote:I agree! I also can't stand when posters on LSN beg others to withdraw from schools. Take the LSAT again and stop whining!

People actually do that? Thats kinda pathetic.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:04 pm

francisConn wrote:

TommyK says it all right here. People incorporate ASW, scholly info, etc. into decisions and for a lot of schools, these are things that won't happen for a month+.

A lot of schools also tell waitlisted applicants that they won't be reviewing their files again until April/May after the seat deposits. So if people withdraw now it doesn't help the waitlist yet. People might also be less on top of updating their LSN profiles. It's a lot more exciting to update an acceptance than a withdrawal. So keep your hopes up! HTH

ajcollege

Postby ajcollege » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:11 pm

stheskier wrote:I am intrigued by the fact that some think they know how acceptances and withdraws work exactly, as though it were an exact science.

You need to do more research. Your wish that when one prospective student withdraws another is admitted off the WL is simply folly. Admissions officers admit more students than they know will attend and pull from the WL only if there's an unexpected gap between available seats and matriculants.

It may not be exact, but it is a science.

stheskier

Postby stheskier » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:15 pm

ajcollege wrote:Your wish that when one prospective student withdraws another is admitted off the WL is simply folly.

I know this isn't how it works. It may be part science, but changes depending on school and applicant, so it is not exact.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:27 pm

stheskier wrote:I am surprised at how personal this is being taken. It is just a vent. :roll:
I guess no one else has been personally irked over something. I am intrigued by the fact that some think they know how acceptances and withdraws work exactly, as though it were an exact science.
I am surprised that some people have the ability to go wherever they want in the US, nbd where it is and how much it would cost to travel/move, and so keep their many options close at hand. (Of course this comment will make more people yell at me as though I am an idiot that knows nothing. Think what you want.)
edit: The withdraw comment was directed more towards people that have long lists of acceptances with no money attached.

Umm.. actually, yes. Thats the situation a good portion of us are in. Many of us are still in undergrad or not far out of it.

It really irks me when people try to tell candidates who earned there way into schools what to do with regards to their acceptances.

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:33 pm

stheskier wrote:I am surprised at how personal this is being taken. It is just a vent. :roll:

Why would we apply to schools it wouldn't be feasible for us to attend? I do have the ability to go wherever I want in the US but it is a big deal where the schools are and what the cost of attendance is and that is why I am hanging on to six acceptances right now.

I even have AU and GW even though they are in the same city because I want to see if I get money from AU. Even without money, I will need to weigh the financial aid offers I get and continue thinking hard about what my priorities are in terms of making a decision.

That being said, I do think I'm going to withdraw from Northeastern soon.

gin

Postby gin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:43 pm

tkgrrett wrote:

Umm.. actually, yes. Thats the situation a good portion of us are in. Many of us are still in undergrad or not far out of it.

It really irks me when people try to tell candidates who earned there way into schools what to do with regards to their acceptances.

Ha! earned it!?...don't make me laugh. I don't know about your particular situation but one of the reasons I have a crappy GPA is because unlike most people in my school, I actually took difficult classes instead of easy A's. I had people in some of my "easier" classes struggle and drop the class because it was too difficult, but they still made honors. On the other hand I took difficult classes and missed out on the many A's I could have had and my GPA suffered thanks to that. But schools aparetly don't care about that.
OP...great idea

pride09

Postby pride09 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:46 pm

I will vent about my Dean's Certification being who-knows-where as Feb. 1 gets closer and closer...

Top14Hope

Postby Top14Hope » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:47 pm

I think that this is a great thread. Also, the OP is right about the fact that most of us are at least holding on to one or more schools that we really won't go to.
The real thing that I think needs to be addressed here (because it's never been addressed before) is that the LSAT will literally make or break you. Even if you have a 4.0 and great everything else (like I do). I cannot stand all of these people that missed only 15-20 questions compared to my 22 and getting into schools I get dinged from with a 3.0 -3.5. I went to the best school in Florida, got a 4.0, worked in a law office for a year, have three great LOR's, but because of my 161 I will never see the top17 (still some hope though). I understand that the law schools are making the best business decision (because of the stupid rankings), but I would love someone to look me in the eye and tell me half these other candidates are better than/smarter than me etc. We are all EQUAL. You got a better score than me because you had money for a better prep program/studied more/ or had parents that encouraged reading/learning from an early age. Oh sure, a 161 is low. I mean look at all these higher LSAT scores. Has to mean something right? Wait you have a letter from the LSAC explaining that you were in a small room with a bunch of distractions throughout the test? Oh wait, you got below a 1000 on the SAT and got a 4.0/top 3% at __ university because you did NOTHING in HS? Oh wait you're the only one in your family to go to college? Are you a URM? No? hmm...Sorry you clearly aren't good enough. I mean yeah the LSAT test retest is literally terrible. In case everyone here doesn't understand this, unless you are mentally handicapped in some way, you can work at the LSAT and get over a 170. What do I mean? Here is how my PT's went (strictest/real conditions)...142/147/149/151/153/157/155/159/159/160/160/161/162/159 (two month break) 159/160/161/161/163/161/164/162/165/164/165 (two days before the test) Test day 161. I shit you not the proctors were talking in a small 20 person room and there were a ton of other things/distractions/watch going off that they couldn’t stop that happened, still got the 161/4.0/letter from LSAC explaining bad conditions/great LOR’s/one of the best overcoming adversity PS you have ever read (at least that’s what 3 people who are law advisors told me). I mean honestly, I know the law schools position. I know it will hurt them to have my 161. I know some people have the time/money to spend on studying for another 3-6 months to kill the test, but others simply don’t. Berkeley has been my dream school since I can remember. Sadly, I’ll never feel her warmth. Even the school I went to hasn’t let me in yet because of my LSAT score(not necessarily obvi). I’m so mad I could randomly write an error filled comment on TLS! Oh wait.
Last edited by Top14Hope on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:48 pm

gin wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

Ha! earned it!?...don't make me laugh. I don't know about your particular situation but one of the reasons I have a crappy GPA is because unlike most people in my school, I actually took difficult classes instead of easy A's. I had people in some of my "easier" classes struggle and drop the class because it was too difficult, but they still made honors. On the other hand I took difficult classes and missed out on the many A's I could have had and my GPA suffered thanks to that. But schools aparetly don't care about that.
OP...great idea

Eh, that was a personal decision. You chose to take a harder curriculum. One of the problems with that is that it may be more challenging. But let's be real - you were a poli sci major. It couldn't have been that hard. It's not like you were engineering or biochem.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:50 pm

gin wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

OP...great idea

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: congrats.. you took the most difficult polisci and philosophy classes your school had on offer. HYS should be beating down your door. I mean how could they ever expect you to work hard enough to get an A??

subtle

Postby subtle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:52 pm

gin wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

OP...great idea

I love this particular argument. It isn't exactly as if I got my grades taking easy classes. You just sound bitter. Plenty of people take hard classes and excel. Also, part of what classes you take is a judgment call. If you continually got lower grades taking classes that were too hard for you that says poor judgment.

So yes, people who get into schools earn their way in. Sorry if you didn't get in where you wanted to go, but these things happen.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Top14Hope wrote:I think that this is a great thread. Also, the OP is right about the fact that most of us are at least holding on to one or more schools that we really won't go to.
The real thing that I think needs to be addressed here (because it's never been addressed before) is that the LSAT will literally make or break you. Even if you have a 4.0 and great everything else (like I do). I cannot stand all of these people that missed only 15-20 questions compared to my 22 and getting into schools I get dinged from with a 3.0 -3.5. I went to the best school in Florida, got a 4.0, worked in a law office for a year, have three great LOR's, but because of my 161 I will never see the top17 (still some hope though). I understand that the law schools are making the best business decision (because of the stupid rankings), but I would love someone to look me in the eye and tell me half these other candidates are better than/smarter than me etc. We are all EQUAL. You got a better score than me because you had money for a better prep program/studied more/ or had parents that encouraged reading/learning from an early age. Oh sure, a 161 is low. I mean look at all these higher LSAT scores. Has to mean something right? Wait you have a letter from the LSAC explaining that you were in a small room with a bunch of distractions throughout the test? Oh wait, you got below a 1000 on the SAT and got a 4.0/top 3% at UF because you did NOTHING in HS? Oh wait you're the only one in your family to go to college? Are you a URM? No? hmm...Sorry you clearly aren't good enough. I mean yeah the LSAT test retest is literally terrible. In case everyone here doesn't understand this, unless you are mentally handicapped in some way, you can work at the LSAT and get over a 170. What do I mean? Here is how my PT's went (strictest/real conditions)...142/147/149/151/153/157/155/159/159/160/160/161/162/159 (two month break) 159/160/161/161/163/161/164/162/165/164/165 (two days before the test) Test day 161. I shit you not the proctors were talking in a small 20 person room and there were a ton of other things/distractions/watch going off that they couldn’t stop that happened, still got the 161/4.0/letter from LSAC explaining bad conditions/great LOR’s/one of the best overcoming adversity PS you have ever read (at least that’s what 3 people who are law advisors told me). I mean honestly, I know the law schools position. I know it will hurt them to have my 161. I know some people have the time/money to spend on studying for another 3-6 months to kill the test, but others simply don’t. Berkeley has been my dream school since I can remember. Sadly, I’ll never feel her warmth. Even the school I went to hasn’t let me in yet because of my LSAT score(not necessarily obvi). I’m so mad I could randomly write an error filled comment on TLS! Oh wait.

This post reveals a lot.. You should sue them.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”