The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:58 am

lzyovrachievr wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:Interesting- and what's your assumption for an UR 11/9???

If I were in that position, I'd be thinking- well, I haven't gotten dinged or WLed. Maybe that means they like my application a bit but I'm not an auto-admit. Maybe they're already planning a JR1 at some point. Maybe I'm in the wrong pile and it's just taking a while to get to me.

But the fact that you weren't dinged along with other people in your date range can only be a good thing in my book. I'm not saying you'll get in. But they've gone over your app presumably and they didn't ditch it immediately. I'd be hopeful and constantly on edge when other people get e-mails so that I didn't get one as well (because most will be dings and WLs).


As an 11/3 UR I appreciate this sentiment. It just sucks that we're such a small sample size we can't really tell what's going on.

Personally, I have a feeling they won't look back at my application until the February deadline. Then they can decide whether they get any apps far better than mine. But I still don't understand why they won't just hold me.

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby subtle » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:44 pm

I'm pretty sure that I have auto-ding numbers at Harvard and Yale--I only applied so that there would be absolutely no doubt that I couldn't get in. Which is exactly why I'm not sure why I haven't been rejected yet. Not that I want to be (I mean, who does?), but I feel like it should be a no-brainer.

eaa1537
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:21 am

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby eaa1537 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:07 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
lzyovrachievr wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:Interesting- and what's your assumption for an UR 11/9???

If I were in that position, I'd be thinking- well, I haven't gotten dinged or WLed. Maybe that means they like my application a bit but I'm not an auto-admit. Maybe they're already planning a JR1 at some point. Maybe I'm in the wrong pile and it's just taking a while to get to me.

But the fact that you weren't dinged along with other people in your date range can only be a good thing in my book. I'm not saying you'll get in. But they've gone over your app presumably and they didn't ditch it immediately. I'd be hopeful and constantly on edge when other people get e-mails so that I didn't get one as well (because most will be dings and WLs).


As an 11/3 UR I appreciate this sentiment. It just sucks that we're such a small sample size we can't really tell what's going on.

Personally, I have a feeling they won't look back at my application until the February deadline. Then they can decide whether they get any apps far better than mine. But I still don't understand why they won't just hold me.


Yeah I appreciate this thought too but am equally as confused as to why they don't just hold us? That seems like the logical pile to put us in if they don't know what to do with us right now (i.e. no ding/JR1). If they want to put us aside until they can assess the whole applicant pool, then I wish they would send out an official email so at least that way I know what's going onnnn... :?

User avatar
bistduverrueckt
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:18 pm

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby bistduverrueckt » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:01 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:In my mind, from what I've read on the Harvard thread from last year, peoples like me who were complete around 12/3 or so should be getting dings/holds next week.

They've been progressing the last few weeks from early November to late November. I kind of think that if you're UR in late November and haven't heard anything, then you should buckle up for next week because if the pattern holds, you should be hearing something if it's negative..

Sorry to be a downer, but that's the assumption I've been working with, which is why I haven't worried about not getting a hold/ding- it's not time yet!


This makes me sad. And gives me another week to live in fear.

User avatar
gatorgirl4life
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:06 am

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby gatorgirl4life » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:27 pm

bistduverrueckt wrote:
lzyovrachievr wrote:In my mind, from what I've read on the Harvard thread from last year, peoples like me who were complete around 12/3 or so should be getting dings/holds next week.

They've been progressing the last few weeks from early November to late November. I kind of think that if you're UR in late November and haven't heard anything, then you should buckle up for next week because if the pattern holds, you should be hearing something if it's negative..

Sorry to be a downer, but that's the assumption I've been working with, which is why I haven't worried about not getting a hold/ding- it's not time yet!


This makes me sad. And gives me another week to live in fear.


+1 12/3er here...harvard and columbia are making me nervous this week...but i probably won't hear anything from either anyway. sigh.

User avatar
lzyovrachievr
Posts: 1695
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:24 am

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby lzyovrachievr » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:32 pm

eaa1537 wrote:Yeah I appreciate this thought too but am equally as confused as to why they don't just hold us? That seems like the logical pile to put us in if they don't know what to do with us right now (i.e. no ding/JR1). If they want to put us aside until they can assess the whole applicant pool, then I wish they would send out an official email so at least that way I know what's going onnnn... :?

You're assuming they don't know what to do with you. Maybe they do and they haven't done it.

eaa1537
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:21 am

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby eaa1537 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:22 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:Yeah I appreciate this thought too but am equally as confused as to why they don't just hold us? That seems like the logical pile to put us in if they don't know what to do with us right now (i.e. no ding/JR1). If they want to put us aside until they can assess the whole applicant pool, then I wish they would send out an official email so at least that way I know what's going onnnn... :?

You're assuming they don't know what to do with you. Maybe they do and they haven't done it.


Fair enough, I guess this whole process is making me have to be more patient. Anyways, I can't tell if you've already heard any news from Harvard, but good luck regardless!

User avatar
arkansawyer
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby arkansawyer » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:36 pm

So, what's the consensus on the connotations of a hold? Is a hold a positive thing? The thread from last year looked pretty brutal to holds, but its probably not a good sample. I guess what I'm trying to ask is whether our lack of holds at this point is good or bad?

c_dubya_s
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:58 am

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby c_dubya_s » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:42 pm

arkansawyer wrote:So, what's the consensus on the connotations of a hold? Is a hold a positive thing? The thread from last year looked pretty brutal to holds, but its probably not a good sample. I guess what I'm trying to ask is whether our lack of holds at this point is good or bad?


Not sure, but I think there have been a number of people from the main Harvard 2011 thread who've gotten holds followed by JR1s a few days later. Probably not a representative sample of all holds, but at least there's hope.

User avatar
Nulli Secundus
Posts: 2625
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:19 am

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby Nulli Secundus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:31 am

09:33, moar news!

User avatar
LinzerTorte
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:06 am

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby LinzerTorte » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:45 am

Nulli Secundus wrote:09:33, moar news!


Really? What?

Or are you just being hopeful...

User avatar
Nulli Secundus
Posts: 2625
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:19 am

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby Nulli Secundus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:51 am

LinzerTorte wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:09:33, moar news!


Really? What?

Or are you just being hopeful...


Hopeful :( Well at least got through that weekend (aka 2 days of no chance of news) without going crazy)

User avatar
Shooter
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:39 am

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby Shooter » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:56 am

I'm in the same position as most of you, but I went complete a little later (12/8).

I should essentially be an auto-ding or maybe a waitlist if I'm lucky... anyways, I'm still sitting tight.

User avatar
BuckeyeGirl
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby BuckeyeGirl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:02 am

Hi TLS!

First-time poster, long time lurker. I too am UR since 12/1. On the one hand, my numbers are exceedingly auto-rejectable, so I'm not terribly concerned. On the other hand all this false hope and visions of Harvard-y sugar plums is probably not helping my patience on my other applications (which annoyingly aren't doing a lot of moving either...)

Just reject me and stop the mind games!

User avatar
Shooter
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:39 am

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby Shooter » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:14 am

BuckeyeGirl wrote:Hi TLS!

First-time poster, long time lurker. I too am UR since 12/1. On the one hand, my numbers are exceedingly auto-rejectable, so I'm not terribly concerned. On the other hand all this false hope and visions of Harvard-y sugar plums is probably not helping my patience on my other applications (which annoyingly aren't doing a lot of moving either...)

Just reject me and stop the mind games!


Ohai. R u from Ohio?

User avatar
BuckeyeGirl
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby BuckeyeGirl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:15 am

Shooter wrote:
BuckeyeGirl wrote:Hi TLS!

First-time poster, long time lurker. I too am UR since 12/1. On the one hand, my numbers are exceedingly auto-rejectable, so I'm not terribly concerned. On the other hand all this false hope and visions of Harvard-y sugar plums is probably not helping my patience on my other applications (which annoyingly aren't doing a lot of moving either...)

Just reject me and stop the mind games!


Ohai. R u from Ohio?



Actually no, but I bet you can figure out my alma mater...and that creativity isn't one of my strengths...

User avatar
Shooter
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:39 am

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby Shooter » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:17 am

BuckeyeGirl wrote:
Shooter wrote:
BuckeyeGirl wrote:Hi TLS!

First-time poster, long time lurker. I too am UR since 12/1. On the one hand, my numbers are exceedingly auto-rejectable, so I'm not terribly concerned. On the other hand all this false hope and visions of Harvard-y sugar plums is probably not helping my patience on my other applications (which annoyingly aren't doing a lot of moving either...)

Just reject me and stop the mind games!


Ohai. R u from Ohio?



Actually no, but I bet you can figure out my alma mater...and that creativity isn't one of my strengths...


Lol, ok. Just asking 'cause I have a buncha friends who went to OSU.

(sorry to derail)

User avatar
BuckeyeGirl
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby BuckeyeGirl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:20 am

Shooter wrote:
BuckeyeGirl wrote:
Shooter wrote:
BuckeyeGirl wrote:Hi TLS!

First-time poster, long time lurker. I too am UR since 12/1. On the one hand, my numbers are exceedingly auto-rejectable, so I'm not terribly concerned. On the other hand all this false hope and visions of Harvard-y sugar plums is probably not helping my patience on my other applications (which annoyingly aren't doing a lot of moving either...)

Just reject me and stop the mind games!


Ohai. R u from Ohio?



Actually no, but I bet you can figure out my alma mater...and that creativity isn't one of my strengths...


Lol, ok. Just asking 'cause I have a buncha friends who went to OSU.

(sorry to derail)



Indeed, tOSU is an awesome place. I feel a little guilty about not applying to Moritz, since I love Columbus, but time to move on.

And getting things sort of back on track...HLS...where will I be moving on TO?!

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby starrydreamz3 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:33 pm

Last year around this time, a lot of JR2s went out on a Monday and then lots of holds the next day, so maybe some of us will no longer be forgotten this time tomorrow.

User avatar
lzyovrachievr
Posts: 1695
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:24 am

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby lzyovrachievr » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:15 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:Last year around this time, a lot of JR2s went out on a Monday and then lots of holds the next day, so maybe some of us will no longer be forgotten this time tomorrow.

Sad, but I'd be unsurprised.

eaa1537
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:21 am

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby eaa1537 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:33 pm

looks like some of us may have just survived another round of rejections??? maybe holds are next??? or maybe we'll just continue to be forgotten???

User avatar
arkansawyer
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby arkansawyer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:38 pm

It seems unlikely that we would escape the carnage of this week. I expect holds to fly out tomorrow.

neonx
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby neonx » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:40 pm

I wouldn't be so sure. Harvard has been known to hand out dings until 5 PM.

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby starrydreamz3 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:01 pm

What I don't get is why some people get a hold email and then a JR1 invite a few days later. How does that make sense?

Silly Harvard, holds are for kids!

User avatar
arkansawyer
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: The Forgotten - Harvard 2011

Postby arkansawyer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:38 pm

arkansawyer wrote:It seems unlikely that we would escape the carnage of this week. I expect holds to fly out tomorrow.


:cry:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anon.y.mousse., arthrod, carlos_danger, eck456, Exabot [Bot], jbhotrails, mintme, mlp12, ssolli and 23 guests