Idaho 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ScrabbleChamp

Re: Idaho 2011

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:40 pm

Michael_Vick wrote:In via phone call.

Congrats, dawg. :mrgreen:

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:50 am

lisjjen wrote:
dr123 wrote:Do many U Idaho students commute from Pullman?

Some. It's not really neccessary. You can get a neat little college apartment 5 minutes away for $250/month.

Yeah.

Welcome to Idaho.

Please direct me to whomever is renting out apartments for $250 bucks a month in Moscow.

I've decided that if I'm going to law school in the fall, it'll be at Idaho. The in-state tuition is just too good to deny when compared to my other options. Does anyone know if the school is at all generous with scholarships for 2Ls and 3Ls who perform well?

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:55 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
dr123 wrote:Do many U Idaho students commute from Pullman?

Some. It's not really neccessary. You can get a neat little college apartment 5 minutes away for $250/month.

Yeah.

Welcome to Idaho.

Please direct me to whomever is renting out apartments for $250 bucks a month in Moscow.

I've decided that if I'm going to law school in the fall, it'll be at Idaho. The in-state tuition is just too good to deny when compared to my other options. Does anyone know if the school is at all generous with scholarships for 2Ls and 3Ls who perform well?

I wasn't exaggerating. You'd need a roomate to get those kinds of prices, but Idaho really is super cheap.

Commence perusing.

andrewphillips

Postby andrewphillips » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:18 am

I live in Boise and attend Boise State University as under grad. Accepted last month and will be attending U of I next fall. Can't beat in-state tuition! Just wonder how wearing blue and orange in Moscow is going to go over?

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:27 pm

andrewphillips wrote:I live in Boise and attend Boise State University as under grad. Accepted last month and will be attending U of I next fall. Can't beat in-state tuition! Just wonder how wearing blue and orange in Moscow is going to go over?

I would guess it would go over horribly.

I don't think my USU gear would be very well accepted either. I'll be visiting this next week and ultimately deciding if that's where I will attend. Maybe I'll see you there?

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:58 pm

Has anyone had any luck negotiating scholarship money? I was not offered a scholarship and totally pissed off about it, as I've been offered full scholly's from a T1 school and two T2 schools.

ocbrody

Postby ocbrody » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:06 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Has anyone had any luck negotiating scholarship money? I was not offered a scholarship and totally pissed off about it, as I've been offered full scholly's from a T1 school and two T2 schools.

Did they even give any scholarship money? On LSN there's only two people with $$$ and they each only got 4K! I mean I know the place has low tuition and the economy blows but come on.

Michael_Vick

Postby Michael_Vick » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:09 pm

Last edited by Michael_Vick on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:04 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Has anyone had any luck negotiating scholarship money? I was not offered a scholarship and totally pissed off about it, as I've been offered full scholly's from a T1 school and two T2 schools.

I had the exact opposite of luck in negotiating for any money. I wasn't expecting much, but I didn't think $2,000 or so was out of the question if I played my cards right. (75 percentile GPA, median LSAT)..

Oh how I was wrong. I think I pissed them off even asking. That said, it's still infinitely cheaper than any of my other options. Does anyone know if they are generous with money for 2Ls and 3Ls who do well? I've heard from a couple of people that they have a lot of money to give out after the deposit deadline..not sure if it's true though.

Are you in-state or OOS, Scrabblechamp? I think they're more stingy with the in-state people as they think they're already doing us enough of a favor with the cost.

If you notice, I think the school is really hurting for money. They have about half as many tenured faculty as most law schools.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:06 pm

Also, a buddy of mine with a 3.5 and 157 just got a $6,000 scholarship (though he is OOS).

It goes away though once he establishes residency.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:09 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:I had the exact opposite of luck in negotiating for any money. I wasn't expecting much, but I didn't think $2,000 or so was out of the question if I played my cards right. (75 percentile GPA, median LSAT)..

Oh how I was wrong. I think I pissed them off even asking. That said, it's still infinitely cheaper than any of my other options. Does anyone know if they are generous with money for 2Ls and 3Ls who do well? I've heard from a couple of people that they have a lot of money to give out after the deposit deadline..not sure if it's true though.

Are you in-state or OOS, Scrabblechamp? I think they're more stingy with the in-state people as they think they're already doing us enough of a favor with the cost.

If you notice, I think the school is really hurting for money. They have about half as many tenured faculty as most law schools.

I'm above 75th percentile for both LSAT and GPA and an OOS disabled combat vet. I really expected a full ride from Idaho, which is why I applied. No way I'm going to attend at full cost. Even if I didn't have better options, I couldn't fathom full cost at a school I'm above 75th percentile for both LSAT and GPA.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:19 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote: I'm above 75th percentile for both LSAT and GPA and an OOS disabled combat vet. I really expected a full ride from Idaho, which is why I applied. No way I'm going to attend at full cost. Even if I didn't have better options, I couldn't fathom full cost at a school I'm above 75th percentile for both LSAT and GPA.

Don't blame you. Even I sometimes feel like I'd be wasting a good GPA in choosing to attend Idaho. I would have given you a full ride dude. You have more reason to be entitled than I do however.

I know what it's like to feel screwed by a school.. check out the Gonzaga thread, and then look at the LSN Gonzaga page. You'll find people with significantly lower numbers than me accepted w/ money.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:25 am

So... I visited Idaho today.

It's just not me. The school was fine (albeit slightly run down) and the administrators were nice. I'm not artsy or outdoorsy enough to remain sane there. I'd rather pay twice as much somewhere else than live in Moscow.

I'd advise those from southern Idaho (Utah North) to check it out before deciding on the school. It's definitely a lot different from the lower part of the state culturally, geographically, etc.

Also, it's such a pain to get there.

I took some pics (mostly crappy ones) if anyone would like me to post them.

richpepsi

Postby richpepsi » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:36 am

i would like to see those pics.

Michael_Vick

Postby Michael_Vick » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:53 am

Last edited by Michael_Vick on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:37 am

I don't know what to tell you guys. I'm at their 75th for GPA, above their 75th for their LSAT and I'm URM. Even if that wasn't a big deal elsewhere, it's a big deal in Idaho because forget URMS, there's no minorities at all.

I mean, they're barely throwing me anything while University of Texas is giving me half scholarship. I just want to call them and say you. have. got to be. kidding me!

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:29 pm

I'll be visiting Gonzaga today, and then have to make the 7.5 hour trek home to Idaho Falls. I'll try and get the pictures posted tonight. I'll warn you though, they aren't great. There's only a couple from inside the building, and most are of campus and the town. I forgot to take my camera with me on my actual visit, so the ones I took are just from me running back afterwards to snap a couple.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:36 pm

lisjjen wrote:I don't know what to tell you guys. I'm at their 75th for GPA, above their 75th for their LSAT and I'm URM. Even if that wasn't a big deal elsewhere, it's a big deal in Idaho because forget URMS, there's no minorities at all.

I mean, they're barely throwing me anything while University of Texas is giving me half scholarship. I just want to call them and say you. have. got to be. kidding me!

I guess they just don't like applicants at, or above, their 75th percentile. I'm not URM, but I'm a disabled combat vet, which makes me less prevalent in law schools than pretty much all the URM ethnicities, and I didn't get any money.

bloobook

Postby bloobook » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:43 pm

Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:24 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote: I guess they just don't like applicants at, or above, their 75th percentile. I'm not URM, but I'm a disabled combat vet, which makes me less prevalent in law schools than pretty much all the URM ethnicities, and I didn't get any money.

Diversity is diversity. I know that gets thrown around a lot, but veterans really are underrepresented at schools. And not to sound like an old lady or anything, but seriously, thank you for your service.

Also, isn't Uncle Sam kicking you some cash for fighting?

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:40 pm

lisjjen wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote: I guess they just don't like applicants at, or above, their 75th percentile. I'm not URM, but I'm a disabled combat vet, which makes me less prevalent in law schools than pretty much all the URM ethnicities, and I didn't get any money.

Diversity is diversity. I know that gets thrown around a lot, but veterans really are underrepresented at schools. And not to sound like an old lady or anything, but seriously, thank you for your service.

Also, isn't Uncle Sam kicking you some cash for fighting?

Yep... I get all in-state tuition and fees paid, plus a housing allowance. So, my COA at Idaho is limited just to the difference between in-state and OOS tuition. But, with a full ride to a T1 and to some T2's, no way I'm going to choose Idaho unless they give me a full ride plus stipend.

bloobook

Postby bloobook » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:00 pm

bloobook wrote:^ Why wouldn't you just take the T1 free ride? That's crazy! (Which T1, if I may ask?)

You may ask, but I won't tell. I don't imagine there are many people with my specific stats and life story, so I'm already likely to be outted by any other TLSers that go to whichever school I choose, but I want to minimize that possibility. As far as the reason not to accept it right away, I have kids and a wife and I'm not really gunning for BigLaw, so quality of life is more important than reputation of the school. For instance, if I get into Oregon, I'll choose that over the T1 for free, because of the QOL in Eugene and, later, Portland. I'm really hoping for Minnesota (WL) and Colorado (pending). Minnesota is my top choice right now, because worst-case-scenario I'm looking at $5k/year out-of-pocket if I get no scholarship (which is likely if I'm admitted), and I can cover that easily. I guess different strokes for different folks. But, (hypothetical) if money were not an issue and you weren't gunning for BigLaw, would you choose ND/IU-B (but crappy QOL) or Oregon/Denver?

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:15 pm

Uh Bloomington allegedly is one of the top 10 most desireable places in the country to live. Not saying I agree with that, but QOL is not crappy there...

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:28 pm

JakeL wrote:Uh Bloomington allegedly is one of the top 10 most desireable places in the country to live. Not saying I agree with that, but QOL is not crappy there...

To each his own. I prefer areas that have professional sports teams, big city attractions, etc... I have season tickets to 3 professional sports teams even though I don't like them... I just have to have my sports. The campus is beautiful, but I don't like having to drive an hour to go to the "city" or find a mall that has stores I like, etc.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”