Gonzaga 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Michael_Vick

Re: Gonzaga 2011

Postby Michael_Vick » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:08 am

transplantedbuckeye wrote:If you haven't heard, the curve is going from 2.6-2.9 to 2.7-3.0, while the scholarship cutoff is staying at 2.75. Thus, more people could potentially be keeping their scholarships.

Source?

ocbrody

Postby ocbrody » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:29 am

stheskier wrote:Is anyone planning on going to the admitted students day on April 2nd?

I'll be there...as long as I get in.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:28 pm

It's been days... and I'm still bitter about the WL..

WHY?

I'm kind of scared of saying something I'll regret on my visit next week..

Flett

Postby Flett » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:29 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:It's been days... and I'm still bitter about the WL..

WHY?

I'm kind of scared of saying something I'll regret on my visit next week..

Hopefully all the rest of this melting, slushy snow will be gone by then. :lol:

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:13 pm

Flett wrote:Hopefully all the rest of this melting, slushy snow will be gone by then. :lol:

The snow won't piss me off too bad as I live in Logan, UT and am more than used to it.

I'm trying not to act entitled, but it's so freaking hard.. It was my top choice and I had good numbers for the school.

An analogy:

I feel like I totally put myself out there for a girl who definitely was not out of my league. She's one that's really cool, but not super hot. The long term prospects aren't really there (job prospects) but she's just so cool. She kinda strings me along, giving me false hope that she's interested..she even invites me to her house (they encouraged me a week ago to come visit even though I hadn't received a decision letter..I was obviously thinking I was in at that point)... Then BAM! Maybe I'll hook up with you if the ten other guys in front of you decide they don't like me..

it sucks..

Michael_Vick

Postby Michael_Vick » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:50 pm

Last edited by Michael_Vick on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:14 pm

Michael_Vick wrote:You should have spent more time getting ready. You know, shaved, put deodorant on, and washed your clothes (studied harder for the LSAT).

That hurts, cause it's true. I wouldn't have anything to complain about had I just studied harder and performed better on test day. It's still very possible I choose to rectify that and reapply next year.

That being said, If LSN is at all a representative sample (probably not a good assumption), the score I got shouldn't have held me back when coupled with my GPA.

Coulda. Shoulda. Woulda.

I know, I know. I'm whiny.

Someone brought up in another thread that adcomms would look at me negatively for reapplying next year.. something about "shopping" for schools... Is there any truth to that?

Flett

Postby Flett » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:47 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
Michael_Vick wrote:You should have spent more time getting ready. You know, shaved, put deodorant on, and washed your clothes (studied harder for the LSAT).

That hurts, cause it's true. I wouldn't have anything to complain about had I just studied harder and performed better on test day. It's still very possible I choose to rectify that and reapply next year.

That being said, If LSN is at all a representative sample (probably not a good assumption), the score I got shouldn't have held me back when coupled with my GPA.

Coulda. Shoulda. Woulda.

Someone brought up in another thread that adcomms would look at me negatively for reapplying next year.. something about "shopping" for schools... Is there any truth to that?

I really have no idea. There's probably a situation where that would be the case. But if Gonzaga doesn't accept you off the waitlist this year, and you reapply next year (with a better LSAT perhaps) I can only assume that they would think that you really do want Gonzaga and are not "shopping."

Just my two cents.

Chouchous

Postby Chouchous » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:16 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:That hurts, cause it's true. I wouldn't have anything to complain about had I just studied harder and performed better on test day. It's still very possible I choose to rectify that and reapply next year.

Coulda. Shoulda. Woulda.

Maybe you should also look over your personal statement and the overall representation of your application, if you think that your numbers should have gotten you into Gonzaga. Not trying to criticize here, just trying to think of reasons that explain why Gonzaga waitlisted you. At the margins personal statement, resume etc. can make a huge difference. Also send in a genuine letter of continued interest if you have not already done so.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Chouchous wrote:Maybe you should also look over your personal statement and the overall representation of your application, if you think that your numbers should have gotten you into Gonzaga. Not trying to criticize here, just trying to think of reasons that explain why Gonzaga waitlisted you. At the margins personal statement, resume etc. can make a huge difference. Also send in a genuine letter of continued interest if you have not already done so.

No offense taken. That was my first thought as well (along with thinking my weak work and service experiences played a part). I thought my P.S. was well written, but a little on the generic side. I know my writing sample on the LSAT was horrendous (if that plays a significant part). The admissions office called me in response to an e-mail, and told me that there was nothing superficially wrong with my application (P.S., rec letters, etc.) but that it was mostly an issue of space available. They told me they'd look over things again and discuss it with me on my visit this Tuesday.

What do you say in an LOCI?

Chouchous

Postby Chouchous » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:50 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:What do you say in an LOCI?

I had a very weak LSAT writing sample as well for what it's worth, but I don't think it hurt me a lot in my cycle. The personal statement is a lot more important in my opinion.

An LOCI is similar to a "Why school X" statement. You will be able to write a killer LOCI after your visit (I think you indicated earlier that you will be visiting Gonzaga in the near future). Just take everything in, ask a lot of question and get as much information as possible about the things that Gonzaga has to offer you and that suit your interests/ career goals. Then tie the information together in your LOCI showing how Gonzaga is the place that can help you accomplish your goals.

You could also include an updated resume/ transcript in case things have changed since you applied.

Michael_Vick

Postby Michael_Vick » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:04 pm

Last edited by Michael_Vick on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dey206

Postby dey206 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:05 pm

Michael_Vick wrote:Decision made as of today, 3/7. I am kind of surprised about how fast they made a decision, as I applied on 2/7. Let's hope I get the big envelope!

+1

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:27 pm

So here's the promised pictures from my Gonzaga visit. Hope you enjoy! I apologize as I'm not the best photographer. There's more where these came from, so let me know if you guys need more. If anyone has any or is in a position to get photos of the interior of Creighton and/or Nebraska's law building, I'd greatly appreciate it! The visit was awesome, and everyone in Spokane that I met seemed really friendly. The 3L Sophia who showed us around did a great job, and dean of students John Sklut went out of his way to introduce himself to my wife and I. Overall it was a great visit!

Enjoy!

(edit: I didn't realize just how blurry a lot of them were.. fail)

transplantedbuckeye

Postby transplantedbuckeye » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:46 pm

Michael_Vick wrote:
transplantedbuckeye wrote:If you haven't heard, the curve is going from 2.6-2.9 to 2.7-3.0, while the scholarship cutoff is staying at 2.75. Thus, more people could potentially be keeping their scholarships.

Source?

2L at the law school

ocbrody

Postby ocbrody » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:52 pm

Thanks for the pictures Prime. After looking at your pictures of Idaho and being reminded how nice Gonzaga is I'm REALLY hoping I get into Gonzaga.

Michael_Vick

Postby Michael_Vick » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:49 pm

Last edited by Michael_Vick on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:27 pm

[quote="Michael_Vick"]
Thanks, ineptimusprime! Good luck with the WL! I'm sure you'll get in if you wait it out.[/quote]

I hope so. I've gotta get working on my LOCI.:)

SFnative

Postby SFnative » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:02 am

Decision made 3/8, finally I have something coming in the mail. hope its good news

Michael_Vick

Postby Michael_Vick » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:02 am

Michael_Vick

Postby Michael_Vick » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:31 pm

Last edited by Michael_Vick on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SFnative

Postby SFnative » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:46 pm

Michael_Vick wrote:
SFnative wrote:Decision made 3/8, finally I have something coming in the mail. hope its good news

When did you apply/go complete?

I was complete 2/11
DR on 3/8

Michael_Vick wrote:Dinged via snail mail. I'm shocked.

just saw your numbers, what the hell gonzaga? Now I'm scared I'm getting a ding in the mail, when were you DR??

SFnative

Postby SFnative » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:50 pm

Accepted via large envelope today, with scholly letter included, I have no desire to attend, only applied b/c of the fee waiver. Hope my money goes to someone who really wants Gonzaga, good luck everyone.

Stardaze22

Postby Stardaze22 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:23 pm

SFnative wrote:Accepted via large envelope today, with scholly letter included, I have no desire to attend, only applied b/c of the fee waiver. Hope my money goes to someone who really wants Gonzaga, good luck everyone.

same situation here. Hope someone else gets the money!

bloobook

Postby bloobook » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”