Worst Cycle of the Year

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
incompetentia

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year

Postby incompetentia » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:33 am

DreamShake wrote:I remember you from the Oct LSAT thread man, and I'm sorry to hear about your cycle. FWIW, I think you deserved a pass on your GPA and certainly got shortchanged (no pun intended) by some schools. NYU is still awesome, though, and if you REALLY want HYS, there's still the possibility of transferring (shitty consolation, I know). Good luck to you.

Yeah, I remember your name too. I'm not too horrified about NYU, so we'll see how it goes in the Village. Going to blame LSP for not accounting for the ends of the spectrum 8)

Derekj032

Postby Derekj032 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:21 pm

DreamShake wrote:
incompetentia wrote:Getting close here to finishing up.

Slight splitter, but LSP considers me a "strong consider" at HY and "admit" everywhere else...

H: First-pile reject.
CLS: Hold. Expecting ding soon.
NYU: No money.
Mich: WL.
GULC: No money.

Not disastrous, but not good.

I remember you from the Oct LSAT thread man, and I'm sorry to hear about your cycle. FWIW, I think you deserved a pass on your GPA and certainly got shortchanged (no pun intended) by some schools. NYU is still awesome, though, and if you REALLY want HYS, there's still the possibility of transferring (shitty consolation, I know). Good luck to you.

Derekj032 wrote:It's a pretty well known fact that a judge can reduce sentencing and dismiss cases at their discretion.

From the michigan.gov website ". . . If the Judge decides that there is not probable cause that the defendant committed the charged crime(s), the judge can bind the case over on different charges, can reduce the charges to misdemeanors for trial in District Court, or can dismiss charges. A defendant can give up his right to a Preliminary Examination. Most felonies arrive in Circuit Court after such a "waiver".

Neither reducing sentencing nor dismissing cases is directly equivalent to choosing which charges are brought by the prosecution. For fuck's sake, sentencing doesn't even come till after trial.

The passage you cited is discussing what a judge can do when there is no probable basis for finding the defendant guilty of a specific crime; it says nothing about a judge's ability to reduce a charge which has probable basis. Presumably, it's not discussed because the judge does not have that power (and for good reason). Thus, prosecutors can decide to press charges for a crime that, although technically committed, was minimally damaging and which carries penalties harsher than a given defendant deserves, and the judge cannot order those charges reduced because the crime in question does have probable basis.

Lastly, the passage you cited discusses the laws of one state. There are fifty states, which often have disparate rules and laws--nothing says that all state courts have or should have the authority described in your passage.

Next time, before you intimate somebody is a liar, get your facts straight. Not everybody is going to be so nice about correcting your shit and sending you on your way--IRL, big accusations can get you sued for defamation/slander.

/derail

Probable basis would be found at the discretion of the judge, would it not? If a prosecutor charges a person with felonious battery and the judge
believes that it is only simple battery he has the power to reduce the charges at his discretion.

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:40 pm

lateblooming wrote:i'd probably just get shut out of al-Qaeda anyway and have to settle for some tier 2 taliban clan.

lol priceless

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:49 pm

Derekj032 wrote:Probable basis would be found at the discretion of the judge, would it not? If a prosecutor charges a person with felonious battery and the judge
believes that it is only simple battery he has the power to reduce the charges at his discretion.

How many RC questions did you get right? 10? 11?? You need to reconsider being a lawyer.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:52 pm

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/BlueBlazer

Posting because I hate my cycle. Hate it.

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:56 pm

SrLaw wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/BlueBlazer

45 at emory, 120 at IUB? 60 at Minn? GET OUT!!!

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:00 pm

Ya 13 acceptances out of 16 apps for a 3.4 167= this thread is not for you. You have outperformed LSP.

protein

Postby protein » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:35 pm

Spookyghost wrote:
SrLaw wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/BlueBlazer

45 at emory, 120 at IUB? 60 at Minn? GET OUT!!!

this

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:39 pm

DreamShake wrote:
Derekj032 wrote:Probable basis would be found at the discretion of the judge, would it not? If a prosecutor charges a person with felonious battery and the judge

How many RC questions did you get right? 10? 11?? You need to reconsider being a lawyer.
This guy reminds me of someone I once watched try to explain that all attorneys are appointed to their cases by the judge. He had just completed an internship with an attorney in a jurisdiction without a public defender's office, so local attorneys put their names on a rotating list and get assigned to represent indigent clients as supplemental work, in addition to their privately retained clients. Over the 5 months he was there he never figured out that the attorney he worked with had no people skills and couldn't get/keep any private clients (plus he was lazy/incompetent), therefore his reliance on court-appointed clients. I tried to explain the reality of things...he didn't follow. I guess the guy in my story will just always think lawyers are court-appointed in all cases and Derekj032 will always think judges determine charges at their discretion.

Some people just don't get it. I highly encourage them to become lawyers, because I look forward to facing them in a courtroom.

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:22 pm

Derekj032 wrote:
/derail

Probable basis would be found at the discretion of the judge, would it not? If a prosecutor charges a person with felonious battery and the judge
believes that it is only simple battery he has the power to reduce the charges at his discretion.[/quote]

Yes, a judge /could/ do this, but the only judges that would do this would be elected judges who don't give a fuck about being bench slapped by the next higher judge. And even then, it reflects poorly on you if a ton of your decisions are reversed for not following the law if there is little ambiguity about how to apply it.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:52 pm

Now that I have more decisions...I respectfully submit:

No longer applicable. Go Wildcats!
Last edited by splitmuch on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KiraMarie

Postby KiraMarie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:58 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Shooter wrote:
Paulina - I'm sorry about your loss... :(

r6 - That is obvious YP.

Yes but then why ask me to apply personally, we didn't have to waste each other's time.

What is YP?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:58 pm

splitmuch wrote:Now that I have more decisions...I respectfully submit:
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/splitmuch

Meh, it's bad but not THAT bad. You're a super-splitter and you applied to a bunch of schools that tend to shy away from splitters, while generally avoiding splitter-friendly schools. An early app with an ED next cycle might yield better results.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:00 pm

beachbum wrote:

Meh, it's bad but not THAT bad. You're a super-splitter and you applied to a bunch of schools that tend to shy away from splitters, while generally avoiding splitter-friendly schools. An early app with an ED next cycle might yield better results.

I agree that its not Worst cycle bad, its just scoring 99.9 percentile and getting in at 1 school kinda sucks, but i agree that with GPA its not too unexpected, just frustrating.

Really just GW, ND (im an alum) and GULC (not even preferred WL) hurt.
Last edited by splitmuch on Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:02 pm

beachbum wrote:

Might be a bit unfair to characterize the whole of the T14 as unfriendly to splitters.

I do agree with the advice that with a GPA that low you could greatly benefit from ED.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:07 pm

bdubs wrote:
beachbum wrote:

Might be a bit unfair to characterize the whole of the T14 as unfriendly to splitters.

I do agree with the advice that with a GPA that low you could greatly benefit from ED.

Ya I mean I have WE (but only 1 yr) so in those situations NW is splitter friendly, and GW and GULC are usually thought of that way, too, I believe.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:10 pm

splitmuch wrote:Ya I mean I have WE (but only 1 yr) so in those situations NW is splitter friendly, and GW and GULC are usually thought of that way, too, I believe.

Yeah, anecdotally GULC is splitter friendly (they have one of the lowest 25% in the T14). I think NU is much more splitter friendly for 2+ years of WE, also they explicitly say that they don't like paralegal work which your profile mentions.

You had a good shot of getting into GW (see below), so it was either your late application or your materials that hurt you.
http://www.law.gwu.edu/Admissions/JD/Pages/Profile.aspx

almostfamous

Postby almostfamous » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:11 pm

splitmuch wrote:
bdubs wrote:
beachbum wrote:

Ya I mean I have WE (but only 1 yr) so in those situations NW is splitter friendly, and GW and GULC are usually thought of that way, too, I believe.

eesh thats rough, I have really similar numbers (3.1/177) and got the same amount of $ at WUSTL but I got into GULC as well, and waitlisted at Michigan. I applied super early though and I think that helped a lot.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:11 pm

splitmuch wrote:
beachbum wrote:

I agree that its not Worst cycle bad, its just scoring 99.9 percentile and getting in at 1 school kinda sucks, but i agree that with GPA its not too unexpected, just frustrating.

Did you do the optional essay for ND? They tend to have a more holistic admissions process, so a well-rounded app (personalized to ND) could help you overcome a weak GPA.

Honestly, the only result I'm surprised by is the outright rejection from Michigan (as opposed to a WL). The others are (more or less) expected, particularly if you waited until after the new year to submit your apps.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:25 pm

beachbum wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
beachbum wrote:

Did you do the optional essay for ND? They tend to have a more holistic admissions process, so a well-rounded app (personalized to ND) could help you overcome a weak GPA.

Honestly, the only result I'm surprised by is the outright rejection from Michigan (as opposed to a WL). The others are (more or less) expected, particularly if you waited until after the new year to submit your apps.

I did do the optional essay and my materials were pretty tailored to ND (including one rec from an ND prof). Also somewhat surprised by the outright ding from UM, but c'est la vie. I'm content with WUSTL and that level of money.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:31 pm

I respectfully submit:
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/rman1201

It's not the worst, but I am a little PO'd about Emory and Dozo...

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:32 pm

Meh, it's bad but not THAT bad. You're a super-splitter and you applied to a bunch of schools that tend to shy away from splitters, while generally avoiding splitter-friendly schools. An early app with an ED next cycle might yield better results.[/quote]

Really just GW, ND (im an alum) and GULC (not even preferred WL) hurt.[/quote]

Honestly, the only result I'm surprised by is the outright rejection from Michigan (as opposed to a WL). The others are (more or less) expected, particularly if you waited until after the new year to submit your apps.[/quote]

I did do the optional essay and my materials were pretty tailored to ND (including one rec from an ND prof). Also somewhat surprised by the outright ding from UM, but c'est la vie. I'm content with WUSTL and that level of money.[/quote]

What happened to Pre-Med???? Did the 3.09 hold you back? I would try and kill the MCAT.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:33 pm

aliarrow wrote:I respectfully submit:
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/rman1201

It's not the worst, but I am a little PO'd about Emory and Dozo...

This is perfectly normal. Consider the BU acceptance lucky.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:36 pm

SrLaw wrote:
What happened to Pre-Med???? Did the 3.09 hold you back? I would try and kill the MCAT.

I actually got a 37 (98th percentile) on the MCAT. I know its a stupid financial decision but I would rather be a lawyer. I drudged through it in UG (hence the GPA) but I just don't like science.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:40 pm

splitmuch wrote:
SrLaw wrote:

I actually got a 37 (98th percentile) on the MCAT. I know its a stupid financial decision but I would rather be a lawyer. I drudged through it in UG (hence the GPA) but I just don't like science.

What is the med school view towards splitters? I'm just curious because I started out pre-med (but with my gpa hovering around 3.3-3.5 I figured I wasn't competitive for med school).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”