Worst Cycle of the Year

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
paulinaporizkova

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:27 pm

Light wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
hate to say it but this might be a timing thing. i have basically exactly the same numbers with no outstanding softs and i got into cornell and georgetown really fast and then UVA later, but i applied like the first week of september for all three. especially with georgetown, your chances plummet the later in the cycle you submit. the cornell WL is a little surprising though.....

You think they would plummet this much even before December? I'd like to have completed everything much sooner anyway but I couldn't :\ Congrats on the admits.

yes, i do. also, i forgot to mention that you didn't do EA for cornell (Early Action is when you submit before November 1 to get an earlier decision date) and i think people with #s like ours tend to have a better chance for acceptance with cornell EA.

thanks!

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:13 pm

I'm officially on 7 waiting lists. Submitted 1/18. Expected, I guess.

delusional

Postby delusional » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:12 pm

I really can't complain, I guess, but the weirdness of admissions did not always work out for me. I got into Harvard and Columbia, but I got WL at UVA and NU, and I have not heard back from Penn and NYU - my top choices for pragmatic reasons. I also have heard less than nothing from Michigan. According to LSN, long waiting times do not bode well.

Assuming I get WL at Penn, it will be despite a LOCI and a Penn-specific essay and LOR so while I'd like to call it YP, I'm not really sure how to explain it.

Either way, though I thought my cycle was curious and worth mentioning, I'll be thrilled to go to Columbia, and it's not a terrible cycle per se.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:23 am

2.5/170. Rejected from BC.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:43 am

delusional wrote:I really can't complain, I guess, but the weirdness of admissions did not always work out for me. I got into Harvard and Columbia, but I got WL at UVA and NU, and I have not heard back from Penn and NYU - my top choices for pragmatic reasons. I also have heard less than nothing from Michigan. According to LSN, long waiting times do not bode well.

Assuming I get WL at Penn, it will be despite a LOCI and a Penn-specific essay and LOR so while I'd like to call it YP, I'm not really sure how to explain it.

Either way, though I thought my cycle was curious and worth mentioning, I'll be thrilled to go to Columbia, and it's not a terrible cycle per se.

Quit complaining. Go to Harvard. Big Law/PI. Profit $$$/Save the world. :)

neonx

Postby neonx » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:31 am

delusional wrote:I really can't complain, I guess, but the weirdness of admissions did not always work out for me. I got into Harvard and Columbia, but I got WL at UVA and NU, and I have not heard back from Penn and NYU - my top choices for pragmatic reasons. I also have heard less than nothing from Michigan. According to LSN, long waiting times do not bode well.

Why are you posting ITT?

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:39 am

neonx wrote:

Why are you posting ITT?

I was joking, but this dude's serious. It's called a YP brah.

delusional

Postby delusional » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:47 am

neonx wrote:

Why are you posting ITT?

Just making conversation on what was a boring Saturday night.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:30 pm

Last edited by descartesb4thehorse on Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Derekj032

Postby Derekj032 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:28 am

Umm Pretty sure the DA just makes recommendations to the judge about charges and sentencing and then the judge has the final call... lol

DreamShake wrote:
Bless wrote:
DreamShake wrote:Nothing in this thread comes remotely close to my cycle last year: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/crackedscreen

That can't be real. Were you hit with a murder charge? Actually, that still wouldn't explain it. That'd be one hell of a diversity statement, and I'm sure some of those schools would bite. I repeat, that can't be real.

No--it was a violent offense charge that a district attorney refused to let drop to a misdemeanor. The "victims" did not want to press charges at all, and neither of them was hurt beyond one guy getting 7 staples. The judge agreed to let it drop to a misdemeanor. The DA wouldn't do it. As LSN says, I was 19 and it was my only offense. I made all this very clear in an addendum; that's just how most of this country treats people who have non-drug/alcohol/misdemeanor criminal records. Really, getting into law school still wasn't half as hard as trying to find a place to live typically is (no, I'm not a sex offender). I will say the adcomms/reviewers at a couple T14's proved to be exceptions to this rule.

Look at the "created on" date for the LSN account if you don't believe its authenticity (I only recently made the account visible). Check my post history on here if you like. Your skin has to be a certain color for most of the T14 to consider you "diverse" (I'm not judging AA one way or another--just stating the obvious truth about diversity boosts in the T14).

gothamm wrote:wow man. how did that make you feel? I hope your cycle is going better this year.

Pretty damn hopeless. I gave it all one more shot on the principle that I'd sunk too much time, effort, and money into the endeavor to quit after just one go round. I'm insanely fortunate it paid off.

ETA: Thanks for the well-wishing. I really do appreciate it.

gbpackerbacker wrote:It all makes perfect sense. He waited till really late to apply. He should not have expected to get into a T14 with those numbers those numbers and all the lower-ranked schools that waitlisted him would have probably accepted him if he applied earlier. Furthermore, the criminal record probably had something to do with it. The only one that even slightly surprises me is Cardozo, which may be explained by the fact that the app was not received until Feb 4th.

I sent out the apps in the first week of January--one of my profs took ages to send in his LOR. To be fair, I sent all my apps out in early November this year and was straight up dinged at Mich (with a WhyMich) & Cornell, WL'd at UVA and Vandy, and dinged at some other schools that I very clearly should have gotten into.

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:52 am

Derekj032 wrote:Umm Pretty sure the DA just makes recommendations to the judge about charges and sentencing and then the judge has the final call... lol

Should have done some research to move from the land of "pretty sure" to that of certainty prior to posting. Or you could simply have avoided posting about something you're evidently wholly ignorant of.

The DA represents the government in a criminal case (i.e., the prosecution--thus the "State of X" in "The State of X vs. Joe Schmoe") and decides not only what charges to press, but which 'cases' deserve to be acted on. The idea of a judge fulfilling the roles of both prosecutor and final arbiter would be hilarious if it wasn't so asinine. Did you take even half a second to think about the absurd, unconstitutional amount of power a judge would wield in such an instance?

ETA: Here's an explanation of how things actually work, just for you: http://criminal.findlaw.com/crimes/crim ... asics.html

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:59 am

A red sock ended up going into the machine with my whites this weekend. Quite possibly the worst cycle ever.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:01 am

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:A red sock ended up going into the machine with my whites this weekend. Quite possibly the worst cycle ever.

:lol: Best post in this thread.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:04 am

sanjola wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:A red sock ended up going into the machine with my whites this weekend. Quite possibly the worst cycle ever.

:lol: Best post in this thread.

+1. I lol'ed.

AdlTX4

Postby AdlTX4 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:00 am

+2, that made my night.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:01 am

Getting close here to finishing up.

Slight splitter, but LSP considers me a "strong consider" at HY and "admit" everywhere else...

H: First-pile reject.
CLS: Hold. Expecting ding soon.
NYU: No money.
Mich: WL.
GULC: No money.

Not disastrous, but not good.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Okay, serious business: it's been so long now that I'm expecting to get dinged everywhere.

Derekj032

Postby Derekj032 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:34 pm

It's a pretty well known fact that a judge can reduce sentencing and dismiss cases at their discretion.

From the michigan.gov website ". . . If the Judge decides that there is not probable cause that the defendant committed the charged crime(s), the judge can bind the case over on different charges, can reduce the charges to misdemeanors for trial in District Court, or can dismiss charges. A defendant can give up his right to a Preliminary Examination. Most felonies arrive in Circuit Court after such a "waiver".

DreamShake wrote:
Derekj032 wrote:Umm Pretty sure the DA just makes recommendations to the judge about charges and sentencing and then the judge has the final call... lol

Should have done some research to move from the land of "pretty sure" to that of certainty prior to posting. Or you could simply have avoided posting about something you're evidently wholly ignorant of.

The DA represents the government in a criminal case (i.e., the prosecution--thus the "State of X" in "The State of X vs. Joe Schmoe") and decides not only what charges to press, but which 'cases' deserve to be acted on. The idea of a judge fulfilling the roles of both prosecutor and final arbiter would be hilarious if it wasn't so asinine. Did you take even half a second to think about the absurd, unconstitutional amount of power a judge would wield in such an instance?

ETA: Here's an explanation of how things actually work, just for you: http://criminal.findlaw.com/crimes/crim ... asics.html

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:13 am

incompetentia wrote:Getting close here to finishing up.

Slight splitter, but LSP considers me a "strong consider" at HY and "admit" everywhere else...

H: First-pile reject.
CLS: Hold. Expecting ding soon.
NYU: No money.
Mich: WL.
GULC: No money.

Not disastrous, but not good.

I remember you from the Oct LSAT thread man, and I'm sorry to hear about your cycle. FWIW, I think you deserved a pass on your GPA and certainly got shortchanged (no pun intended) by some schools. NYU is still awesome, though, and if you REALLY want HYS, there's still the possibility of transferring (shitty consolation, I know). Good luck to you.

Derekj032 wrote:It's a pretty well known fact that a judge can reduce sentencing and dismiss cases at their discretion.

From the michigan.gov website ". . . If the Judge decides that there is not probable cause that the defendant committed the charged crime(s), the judge can bind the case over on different charges, can reduce the charges to misdemeanors for trial in District Court, or can dismiss charges. A defendant can give up his right to a Preliminary Examination. Most felonies arrive in Circuit Court after such a "waiver".

Neither reducing sentencing nor dismissing cases is directly equivalent to choosing which charges are brought by the prosecution. For fuck's sake, sentencing doesn't even come till after trial.

The passage you cited is discussing what a judge can do when there is no probable basis for finding the defendant guilty of a specific crime; it says nothing about a judge's ability to reduce a charge which has probable basis. Presumably, it's not discussed because the judge does not have that power (and for good reason). Thus, prosecutors can decide to press charges for a crime that, although technically committed, was minimally damaging and which carries penalties harsher than a given defendant deserves, and the judge cannot order those charges reduced because the crime in question does have probable basis.

Lastly, the passage you cited discusses the laws of one state. There are fifty states, which often have disparate rules and laws--nothing says that all state courts have or should have the authority described in your passage.

Next time, before you intimate somebody is a liar, get your facts straight. Not everybody is going to be so nice about correcting your shit and sending you on your way--IRL, big accusations can get you sued for defamation/slander.

/derail

lateblooming

Postby lateblooming » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:20 am

if I read another post about someone getting into a t14 law school but not getting into the t14 law school they wanted as somehow warranting a place in this thread, I'm going to join al-Qaeda.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:24 am

hate to burst your bubble- but this is tls. where if you dont get a 175 orbetter, you will be told to re take. if you dont get into t14 with money= retake. if you dont get into HYS CCNMVP then re take.

if you decide to go to GULC then reassess- and re apply( with re take- yup i know im anti GULAC trolling)

if you have work exp. then RE TAKE AND ED NW

well hell- since i only have a 3.5 i should heed my own post and re take, go back in time re apply( as a freshman), get more WE and ED to NW

and RE take

this is TLS- where the cream of the crop will try again until they have a 4.3 180 and WE ( anything less is failure of avemaria cooley FCSL, Nova or Barry proportions!)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:26 am

anti-Boalt trolling.

lateblooming

Postby lateblooming » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:30 am

i'd probably just get shut out of al-Qaeda anyway and have to settle for some tier 2 taliban clan.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:31 am

lateblooming wrote:i'd probably just get shut out of al-Qaeda anyway and have to settle for some tier 2 taliban clan.

Maybe you can transfer after your first year?

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:32 am

Anti-University at Buffalo trolling.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”