Worst Cycle of the Year

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
antonin

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year

Postby antonin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:28 pm

Hannibal wrote:3.4, 174, highest ranked school accepted was WUSTL. Didn't apply to Berkeley, GULC or USC but that's about it for schools inside the T20 (save HYS)

Similar numbers:
Abour .1 less GPA, same LSAT, but multiple test taker. Applied to 1 T-25 and 7 T-14.
So far, in at the T-25, WL or have not yet heard from all the T-14s.
Quite bizarre because WL's range from T6 to the lower end of T-14.

Applied late November-Early December. Some apps became complete in early January.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:40 pm

daniel5126 wrote:
daninreallife wrote:I'm done with applying to law school and could care less. You see most of you are going to end up 150-200k in debt, and at 7 per cent interest, your looking at 12-14k of your money going to interest alone. Even at the elite schools, half of you wont even make it to one of the top 250 firms. Most of you that do make it big firm will flame out because of the hours and because of the partners thats treat you like shit. And then you will be left with the debt. So I am actually grateful Columbia and the rest of the top schools told me to fuck off, because now I can focus my life on things that won't take 3 years of my life and 60k a year of my money. And at the end of the day, I'm going to be just as ahead as the asshole Harvard law grad because unlike most people I have great connections, people skills, and I am not naive with my money. Law school is a total waste of time unless you 1) have the money to pay the tuiton or scholarships, 2) Go to a great school, and 3) know that you are already going to love practicing law, have some experience in it already, and can stand doing 80 hrs a week of document review and all the other bs discovery work the firm demands for the first five years of your employment. The only way you get ahead is if you suck all the partners cocks (there are few vagina partners even though this is the 21st century), never screw up, and are just outright lucky. So peace out law, im moving on.

HA! HA!

The applicant is well-versed in bitter propaganda. Same old story.

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:41 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
daniel5126 wrote:
daninreallife wrote:I'm done with applying to law school and could care less. You see most of you are going to end up 150-200k in debt, and at 7 per cent interest, your looking at 12-14k of your money going to interest alone. Even at the elite schools, half of you wont even make it to one of the top 250 firms. Most of you that do make it big firm will flame out because of the hours and because of the partners thats treat you like shit. And then you will be left with the debt. So I am actually grateful Columbia and the rest of the top schools told me to fuck off, because now I can focus my life on things that won't take 3 years of my life and 60k a year of my money. And at the end of the day, I'm going to be just as ahead as the asshole Harvard law grad because unlike most people I have great connections, people skills, and I am not naive with my money. Law school is a total waste of time unless you 1) have the money to pay the tuiton or scholarships, 2) Go to a great school, and 3) know that you are already going to love practicing law, have some experience in it already, and can stand doing 80 hrs a week of document review and all the other bs discovery work the firm demands for the first five years of your employment. The only way you get ahead is if you suck all the partners cocks (there are few vagina partners even though this is the 21st century), never screw up, and are just outright lucky. So peace out law, im moving on.

HA! HA!

The applicant is well-versed in bitter propaganda. Same old story.

Fit for the meltdown thread? lulz.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:43 pm

yes that is

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:35 pm

Dan in Real life has got to be fake.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:44 pm

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Footfucker/jd

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether this is real of fake? if real then this = Best Cycle of the Year. Yale with 1 2.9 and a 161?????

cmaas

Postby cmaas » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:47 pm

SrLaw wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Footfucker/jd

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether this is real of fake? if real then this = Best Cycle of the Year. Yale with 1 2.9 and a 161?????

it's fake. He updated that he was accepted to Chicago RD before Chicago accepted RD applicants....at least according to the comments.

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:27 pm

OnlyLivingBoyinNY wrote:This guy wins:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Massaliot/jd

I really hope this account is a joke, because this is the kind of s**t that scares me about applying to law school.

So whoever this is reads TLS. After I posted this today, they updated their LSN with an accept at UT-Austin. I still can't believe that's all they have. Who are you, Massaliot?! What did you do?! Did you doodle something inappropriate on the writing sample?

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:01 pm

OnlyLivingBoyinNY wrote:

I really hope this account is a joke, because this is the kind of s**t that scares me about applying to law school.

So whoever this is reads TLS. After I posted this today, they updated their LSN with an accept at UT-Austin. I still can't believe that's all they have. Who are you, Massaliot?! What did you do?! Did you doodle something inappropriate on the writing sample?

LOL what a snipe!

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:05 pm

OnlyLivingBoyinNY wrote:

So whoever this is reads TLS. After I posted this today, they updated their LSN with an accept at UT-Austin.

EGREGIOUS t14 trolling

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:26 pm

cmaas wrote:

it's fake. He updated that he was accepted to Chicago RD before Chicago accepted RD applicants....at least according to the comments.

His name is Footfucker and is a 2.9/161 in at Yale. Clearly, fake.

To stay on topic, some of these people had horrible cycles. Law school admissions is a scary scary thing. However, it seems if you have a bad cycle it is because:

1. You have a criminal record
2. You applied really really late
3. You are an extreme splitter
.... or a combination of these three.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:57 am

SupraVln180 wrote:
cmaas wrote:

To stay on topic, some of these people had horrible cycles. Law school admissions is a scary scary thing. However, it seems if you have a bad cycle it is because:

You'd actually be very surprised how forgiving some schools can be with a well written addendum.

Light

Postby Light » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:58 am

I doubt my cycle is the worst, but it's pretty frustrating.

WL (or reserve): Cornell, UCLA, UPenn, UChicago, Duke, Georgetown, UVA, Columbia
Reject: Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Berkely, UMichigan
Accept: FSU, UF, Emory

Pending: NYU

I applied in mid-November, and only because my 2nd LOR writer took a few months. I guess I'm a little frustrated because I'd expect at least one admit at a T14. The only WL/reserves I'm really content about are UChicago and Columbia.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:41 am

tomwatts wrote:
onepass wrote:I'm sorry, but a post loses all credibility if they want to whine about having the worst cycle ever and they've been admitted to Northwestern and Cornell.

That person had not yet been admitted to Northwestern and Cornell at the time of the post.

For those who can't be bothered to read last year's topic (fair enough, it's long) or are still unclear on the concept, the idea is that the "worst cycle" is supposed to be relative to what your numbers/reasonable expectations would suggest. We're talking 3.9/179 rejected from all of the t14 for no obvious reason, 3.5/168 being shut out of the entire first tier, or whatever. If you ED somewhere and don't withdraw from other places (as in the case of one person last year), or anything else stupid like that (lie about a criminal record and then get caught on a background check), that's a gray area that the judges of the thread will have to consider.

Let the horror stories commence! (Though I think we're a little early for all of this, yet. We won't have true horror stories until the mass of rejections from a lot of the top schools in late January/early February.)

Bolded is not going to happen (I know it was just an example but still.. results can be slightly poorer than expected, but with a 3.9/179 the only way someone gets rejected from all T14- or even T6- is if they are on record as being a mass-murderer or they told the adcomms to screw themselves in the PS. Even then, with those numbers I bet the person would get some T14 acceptances :lol: ).

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:33 am

Deuce wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
cmaas wrote:

You'd actually be very surprised how forgiving some schools can be with a well written addendum.

You are right. I've actually had a great cycle for my numbers, despite having a disciplinary violation at my undergrad, not a criminal record by any means, but still I thought it would lock me out of some schools, especially Notre Dame. With that being said, underage drinking is not vehicular manslaughter or something.

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:51 am

Light wrote:I doubt my cycle is the worst, but it's pretty frustrating.

WL (or reserve): Cornell, UCLA, UPenn, UChicago, Duke, Georgetown, UVA, Columbia

I applied in mid-November, and only because my 2nd LOR writer took a few months. I guess I'm a little frustrated because I'd expect at least one admit at a T14. The only WL/reserves I'm really content about are UChicago and Columbia.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, and I know you must be frustrated because you have really great numbers, but if those are the only schools you applied to, then I think you kind of overestimated the potential of your numbers. The only admit on LSP that you didn't get was Cornell. You don't really have any target schools on your list other than FSU, UF, and Emory. I would have included some schools like Fordham, GW, UWash, WUSTL, BC, BU, etc.

paulinaporizkova wrote:
OnlyLivingBoyinNY wrote:

So whoever this is reads TLS. After I posted this today, they updated their LSN with an accept at UT-Austin.

EGREGIOUS t14 trolling

So, Massaliot, why don't you admit to trolling?

Massaliot

Postby Massaliot » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:49 pm

OnlyLivingBoyinNY wrote:

I don't want to sound like a jerk, and I know you must be frustrated because you have really great numbers, but if those are the only schools you applied to, then I think you kind of overestimated the potential of your numbers. The only admit on LSP that you didn't get was Cornell. You don't really have any target schools on your list other than FSU, UF, and Emory. I would have included some schools like Fordham, GW, UWash, WUSTL, BC, BU, etc.

paulinaporizkova wrote:
OnlyLivingBoyinNY wrote:

EGREGIOUS t14 trolling

So, Massaliot, why don't you admit to trolling?

I wasn't trolling, just feeling sorry for myself.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Massaliot wrote:

an excellent grand entrance into TLS i think

also, sorry about your cycle dude. any thoughts on why it went the way it did?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:58 pm

hate to say it but this might be a timing thing. i have basically exactly the same numbers with no outstanding softs and i got into cornell and georgetown really fast and then UVA later, but i applied like the first week of september for all three. especially with georgetown, your chances plummet the later in the cycle you submit. the cornell WL is a little surprising though.....

Massaliot

Postby Massaliot » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:20 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Massaliot wrote:

I really don't know. Maybe I didn't sufficiently adapt my PS for each school?

I spend a lot of time every day trying to figure out where I went wrong in this and in the rest of my life.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:22 pm

Massaliot wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
Massaliot wrote:

I spend a lot of time every day trying to figure out where I went wrong in this and in the rest of my life.

If this is really a true profile, you will definitely get in off at least 1 WL.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:29 pm

Massaliot wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
Massaliot wrote:

first of all, that's a little emo. second of all, looking back at your LSN the only big surprise is Chicago (Columbia to a lesser extent.) I'd also guess you'll get WL from NYU and that would also be a big surprise as well. The 7-14s could be waitlisting you due to YP but your numbers fit nicely with at least CN i'd think. did you apply to penn? technically, you are a splitter at at least some of these schools, though, due to your *marginally* low GPA. and splitters are hard to predict. some do much better than others.

do you have a criminal record? have you been sitting on your ass doing nothing since you graduated from college?

Massaliot

Postby Massaliot » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:44 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Massaliot wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
Massaliot wrote:

first of all, that's a little emo. second of all, looking back at your LSN the only big surprise is Chicago (Columbia to a lesser extent.) I'd also guess you'll get WL from NYU and that would also be a big surprise as well. The 7-14s could be waitlisting you due to YP but your numbers fit nicely with at least CN i'd think. did you apply to penn? technically, you are a splitter at at least some of these schools, though, due to your *marginally* low GPA. and splitters are hard to predict. some do much better than others.

do you have a criminal record? have you been sitting on your ass doing nothing since you graduated from college?

No criminal record. I've also been working since I graduated.

Edit: Didn't apply to Penn.

Light

Postby Light » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:35 am

OnlyLivingBoyinNY wrote:

Yeah, I realize I should have applied to more mid-range schools. For this reason, I sent an app to Emory in late February since I would strongly consider going there because of proximity and I had a fee waiver. While it's true Cornell was my only predicted admit I still had a couple other strong considers. But even if the probability of getting accepted into all those school was like 40 percent with my stats, it might be reasonable to assume I'd get into at least one. In reality, my chances were higher so I don't think I was overestimating.

paulinaporizkova wrote:
hate to say it but this might be a timing thing. i have basically exactly the same numbers with no outstanding softs and i got into cornell and georgetown really fast and then UVA later, but i applied like the first week of september for all three. especially with georgetown, your chances plummet the later in the cycle you submit. the cornell WL is a little surprising though.....

You think they would plummet this much even before December? I'd like to have completed everything much sooner anyway but I couldn't :\ Congrats on the admits.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:47 am

sorry about the bad news numbers twin. I was also waitlisted at Chicago, UCLA and Duke and still pending at NYU, UMICh, Vandy and Cornell.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”