Worst Cycle of the Year Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SrLaw

Silver

Worst Cycle of the Year

Post by SrLaw » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Inspired from the 2010 model.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=108677

Let it begin.

onepass

Bronze

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year

Post by onepass » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:41 pm

I'm sorry, but a post loses all credibility if they want to whine about having the worst cycle ever and they've been admitted to Northwestern and Cornell. So, if anyone from this cycle wants to complain about having the worst cycle ever, please have a more legitimate rationale behind your claim.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:43 pm

onepass wrote:I'm sorry, but a post loses all credibility if they want to whine about having the worst cycle ever and they've been admitted to Northwestern and Cornell. So, if anyone from this cycle wants to complain about having the worst cycle ever, please have a more legitimate rationale behind your claim.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:28 pm

onepass wrote:I'm sorry, but a post loses all credibility if they want to whine about having the worst cycle ever and they've been admitted to Northwestern and Cornell.
That person had not yet been admitted to Northwestern and Cornell at the time of the post.

For those who can't be bothered to read last year's topic (fair enough, it's long) or are still unclear on the concept, the idea is that the "worst cycle" is supposed to be relative to what your numbers/reasonable expectations would suggest. We're talking 3.9/179 rejected from all of the t14 for no obvious reason, 3.5/168 being shut out of the entire first tier, or whatever. If you ED somewhere and don't withdraw from other places (as in the case of one person last year), or anything else stupid like that (lie about a criminal record and then get caught on a background check), that's a gray area that the judges of the thread will have to consider.

Let the horror stories commence! (Though I think we're a little early for all of this, yet. We won't have true horror stories until the mass of rejections from a lot of the top schools in late January/early February.)

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:39 pm

tomwatts wrote:
onepass wrote:I'm sorry, but a post loses all credibility if they want to whine about having the worst cycle ever and they've been admitted to Northwestern and Cornell.
That person had not yet been admitted to Northwestern and Cornell at the time of the post.

For those who can't be bothered to read last year's topic (fair enough, it's long) or are still unclear on the concept, the idea is that the "worst cycle" is supposed to be relative to what your numbers/reasonable expectations would suggest. We're talking 3.9/179 rejected from all of the t14 for no obvious reason, 3.5/168 being shut out of the entire first tier, or whatever. If you ED somewhere and don't withdraw from other places (as in the case of one person last year), or anything else stupid like that (lie about a criminal record and then get caught on a background check), that's a gray area that the judges of the thread will have to consider.

Let the horror stories commence! (Though I think we're a little early for all of this, yet. We won't have true horror stories until the mass of rejections from a lot of the top schools in late January/early February.)
It's also important to put one's cycle into context. "Worst Cycle" threads are all about where someone ended up RELATIVE to their numbers/expectations. Is Cornell an amazing school? Yes it is. Is it as amazing if you have the numbers for Harvard? Not so much.

Btw, that one guy who ED'd without withdrawing was like omgtheworstthingI'veeverseen.

EDIT: I essentially just repeated everything you said. WTF was I thinking?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:46 pm

wait, someone really ED'd without withdrawing other places? like, he paid the deposits for other schools and stuff? why? (someone tell me i don't want to search that whole thread)

lshamlet

Bronze

Post by lshamlet » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:51 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:wait, someone really ED'd without withdrawing other places? like, he paid the deposits for other schools and stuff? why? (someone tell me i don't want to search that whole thread)
It's just this LSN. The story is told through the comments.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/daninreallife

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:52 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:wait, someone really ED'd without withdrawing other places? like, he paid the deposits for other schools and stuff? why? (someone tell me i don't want to search that whole thread)
Per my recollection...

He had like a 173 LSAT and I think he got into Columbia ED. He didn't withdraw so every other school blacklisted him, and once the rubble cleared... he was left with Pepperdine.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:56 pm

Shooter wrote:
Per my recollection...

He had like a 173 LSAT and I think he got into Columbia ED. He didn't withdraw so every other school blacklisted him, and once the rubble cleared... he was left with Pepperdine.
Was he trying to be sneaky and keep offers open from other schools, or was he just stupid and not know he had to withdraw?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:00 pm

Deuce wrote:
Shooter wrote:
Per my recollection...

Was he trying to be sneaky and keep offers open from other schools, or was he just stupid and not know he had to withdraw?
Had to be sneaky b/c someone with those stats can read and understand the ED contract and subsequent mailings to withdraw from other schools.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:09 pm

lshamlet wrote:

All time fail. Then his big rant in the comments on LSN...Classic.
Nothings going to beat this one.

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:11 pm

ran12 wrote:
Deuce wrote:
Shooter wrote:
Per my recollection...

Had to be sneaky b/c someone with those stats can read and understand the ED contract and subsequent mailings to withdraw from other schools.
If you read through his LSN comments he basically WAS trying to be sneaky, and comes off as kind of an ass generally. In any case, such a cautionary tale -- Don't be sneaky! You'll get caught!

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:13 pm

I was recently waitlisted at CU Boulder.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:13 pm

Capitol A wrote:
lshamlet wrote:

His rant is pretty hilarious

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:16 pm

Deuce wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
lshamlet wrote:

His rant is pretty hilarious
LOVE the rant.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:18 pm

artichoke wrote:I was recently waitlisted at CU Boulder.
YP, duh

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:26 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
artichoke wrote:I was recently waitlisted at CU Boulder.
YP, duh
I feel that a terrible cycle implies a collection of surprises, not just one YP.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:29 pm

A few fellow 170/3.9 folks ended up with nothing but WLs. I was 1 for 12 or so I think. Pretty terribly applying late.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:31 pm

I really enjoyed his rant. Especially since he didnt withdraw after he got accepted ED. He should have known better than that. If he wanted to see what his options were, then he should have applied to columbia regular decision. wonder what hes up to now?

wait a minute: so is he permantly rejected from all of those schools?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:32 pm

northwood wrote:I really enjoyed his rant. Especially since he didnt withdraw after he got accepted ED. He should have known better than that. If he wanted to see what his options were, then he should have applied to columbia regular decision. wonder what hes up to now?

wait a minute: so is he permantly rejected from all of those schools?
He probably could've held off and reapplied this year, but if the schools remembered it would probably hurt him. Law school's obviously beneath him now anyway.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:33 pm

law_monkey wrote:
He probably could've held off and reapplied this year, but if the schools remembered it would probably hurt him. Law school's obviously beneath him now anyway.
He might have made a terrible lawyer anyway. Better to not have gone than to get disbarred before passing it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:35 pm

law_monkey wrote:
I'm sure his feelings of moral superiority, and his current position as chief fry cook at Detroit's largest McDonald's, keep him warm and toasty at night. Mainly the latter. Those industrial fryers give off some serious heat.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:38 pm

this isn't quite the horror of all horror stories, but i got rejected from michigan after receiving a fee waiver and a personalized note from Dean Z in sept. My numbers really could have gone either way, but I thought the fee waiver and all that jazz was a little cold blooded after all was said and done. I almost would have rather just paid the app fee in the beginning - at least it would have stung less in the end. also, mich was my only rejection and i applied to a bunch of schools ranked right around it (mostly waitlisted at the others - couldn't i have gotten a pity WL from mich??) that i DIDN'T receive fee waivers from.

fuck fee waivers. they fuck with your head.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:39 pm

if he was any good at making fries hed be working at Wendy's

their fries and their frostys are fantastic! ( especially on the dollar menu)

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:40 pm

whathojeeves wrote:I'm sure his feelings of moral superiority, and his current position as chief fry cook at Detroit's largest McDonald's, keep him warm and toasty at night. Mainly the latter. Those industrial fryers give off some serious heat.
SHUT YOUR FACE YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING!!! ENJOY YOUR DEBT WITH 7% INTEREST!!! UNLIKE YOU I'M NOT NAIVE WITH MY MONEY SO PEACE OUT - I HAVE CONNECTIONS!!!!!111!1!!11!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”