Worst Cycle of the Year Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stratocophic

Gold

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year

Post by stratocophic » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:34 pm

crit_racer wrote:I still think there is something seriously wrong with your application. Sure, a 2 year gap in employment (even though it wasn't a complete gap) looks bad, but let's not forget the golden rule of TLS: THIS IS A NUMBERS GAME. Your numbers should have gotten you in some of these places. 176 is astronomical and your GPA isn't that bad.

How many people have looked at your PS? If you want, you should PM it to some more ppl. Maybe you just made a flagrant grammatical mistake or it made you sound like an asshole or something. If that's the problem and you fix it, I'm sure you would have much better luck next cycle. Or go to WUSTL, w/e, but if it were me I wouldn't settle for WUSTL w/ your #s.

Good luck
Sometimes that's just how it breaks for splitters. Timing probably played a large role - it did for me (but I'm happier with my current position than I would be with the prospect of 200k in debt anyway so NBD). Could probably get into one of the 3 splitter-friendly T14s next year with an immediate ED, but who knows... and I wouldn't pay sticker at GTown anyway.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:49 pm

crit_racer wrote:I still think there is something seriously wrong with your application. Sure, a 2 year gap in employment (even though it wasn't a complete gap) looks bad, but let's not forget the golden rule of TLS: THIS IS A NUMBERS GAME. Your numbers should have gotten you in some of these places. 176 is astronomical and your GPA isn't that bad.

How many people have looked at your PS? If you want, you should PM it to some more ppl. Maybe you just made a flagrant grammatical mistake or it made you sound like an asshole or something. If that's the problem and you fix it, I'm sure you would have much better luck next cycle. Or go to WUSTL, w/e, but if it were me I wouldn't settle for WUSTL w/ your #s.

Good luck
Nah the only surprise there was Georgetown really and Alabama. He just picked a pretty bad list of schools for splitters to apply to.

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:40 am

Desert Fox wrote: Nah the only surprise there was Georgetown really and Alabama. He just picked a pretty bad list of schools for splitters to apply to.
Yeah. Illinois and IUB would've given something monetarily to compare to WUSTL, more than likely. And I'm really surprised about a lot of those, even Vandy. I was 3.3/177 and got $$, and it's not as though I applied that early (Mid-January). It'll be tough, it is for almost anyone, but with a 176 I'd venture to say you're either smart enough right off the bat or committed enough to studying to have a pretty good chance of doing well (or both), and doing well at WUSTL will still give you some pretty darn good opportunities I would think.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:48 am

stratocophic wrote:

Good luck
Sometimes that's just how it breaks for splitters. Timing probably played a large role - it did for me (but I'm happier with my current position than I would be with the prospect of 200k in debt anyway so NBD). Could probably get into one of the 3 splitter-friendly T14s next year with an immediate ED, but who knows... and I wouldn't pay sticker at GTown anyway.
Yeah, I'm not too broken up about my dismembered a hooker cycle because of this. I was thinking during my cycle that I'd probably take the money at a lower school over sticker at a T14 anyway. Definitely would have been nice to have the option though.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:55 am

Hannibal wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

Good luck
Yeah, I'm not too broken up about my dismembered a hooker cycle because of this. I was thinking during my cycle that I'd probably take the money at a lower school over sticker at a T14 anyway. Definitely would have been nice to have the option though.
Pretty much exactly my thought process last year. I wouldn't have taken GTown anyway, and probably not UVA either. Otherwise I would've ED'd, since it was the period when anyone with a 171/3.0 and a pulse was getting into UVA. I'm happy with the end result, at any rate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:26 am

Hannibal wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

Good luck
This is pretty much how I feel, Hannibal. I like WUSTL for a few reasons aside from the $$, and would have probably ended up keeping it over Cornell/GULC at sticker, but I would have really liked having more options this year.

And @ Joefish. That's kind of what I'm hoping too. I'm prepared to give it my all and end up median or something, but I'm definitely not going in expecting it. As for IUB and UIUC. I know a guy I met at WUSTL's ASW who had the big scholarship from IUB, same GPA, and a 170. WUSTL wouldn't negotiate with him based on it. When UIUC gave him 30k though, they matched. They don't think much at all of those giant IUB schollies.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”