Worst Cycle of the Year Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
msridiculous447

Bronze

Re: Worst Cycle of the Year

Post by msridiculous447 » Fri May 20, 2011 3:08 pm

Don't most ED contracts say that you can only ED to one school at a time? I mean, you can apply ED somewhere and get rejected/WL-ed and apply elsewhere ED, but I don't think you can be under two different ED contracts at the same time.

My understanding is that most schools of similar ranking/reputation share their ED lists with one another for this reason. If your name shows up on lists from two (or more) different schools, they all withdraw their offers.

I feel dirty typing "ed" over and over.

Gideon Strumpet

Bronze

Post by Gideon Strumpet » Fri May 20, 2011 3:20 pm

msridiculous447 wrote:Don't most ED contracts say that you can only ED to one school at a time? I mean, you can apply ED somewhere and get rejected/WL-ed and apply elsewhere ED, but I don't think you can be under two different ED contracts at the same time.
They may. This why you read what you sign. They will be perfectly clear about what you can and cannot do. There is no grey area with this process, and no need for silly hypos and speculating about corner cases; you will know exactly what you can and can't do if you read the agreement. If the agreement says don't do it, then don't do it. If the agreement says do it, then do it. If the agreement doesn't say anything about it, then they don't care.

Schools do almost certainly share lists of ED accepts. LSAC actually provides a lot of back end cross checking functionality that schools use to catch stunts like not withdrawing after an ED accept. Whether schools share lists of ED applicants, prior to doing their accepts, I have no idea. Either way, just know what the rules are and don't break them.
Last edited by Gideon Strumpet on Fri May 20, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msridiculous447

Bronze

Post by msridiculous447 » Fri May 20, 2011 3:33 pm

^ Exactly. I don't understand why everyone is so confused...just read the contract and know what you're getting yourself into. And as far as I know, most places will explain exactly what you have to do and in what time period after you're accepted ED. Unless you're painfully stupid or willfully gaming the system you can't get in to too much trouble.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:45 am

Reviving this thread now that my cycle is all but complete. Still on the WL at Michigan, but they expect to make only 5 offers, and our best guess is that the WL still contains 150-250 people. Also on the WL at Cornell, but based on how reserve just ended for me, I don't know why I should expect anything to come from that.

Numbers are 3.2/176 (retake).

Columbia - Ding (only applied because of the stupid fee waiver they gave out a week before the Feb deadline)
Michigan - ED, deferred to RD, WL.
UVA - ED after Michigan said no, outright ding 3 days later.
Northwestern - WL/withdrew (no meaningful WE, no surprise)
Cornell - Reserve -> WL
GULC - Ding
UCLA - WL/withdrew
Vandy - Ding (half my family went here for med/engineering, kind of annoyed I didn't even get a WL)
WUSTL - In, 84k, likely attending (thank God for the >168 = admit with 84k metric)
ND- WL/withdrew
Alabama - WL/withdrew

Possible explanations for the pretty terrible cycle: rolling admissions, PS, maybe a bad rec (HIGHLY doubt this, still have pretty good relationships with the profs 2 years out of UG). I got my apps to all schools but Cornell and GULC out with a 172 and by November 15. On Jan 21, I decided to retake because I had had a major meltdown on the OCT games that took me from a 180 to a 172 and because I had no decisions but WUSTL's. Ended up improving to the 176 obviously, but my app was unfortunately on hold from Jan 21 to Mar 6 because of this, and I think that really hurt a lot because the schools were of course still admitting.

So that's 11 apps, 4 dings, 6 WLs, and one acceptance.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:53 am

Kabuo wrote:Reviving this thread now that my cycle is all but complete. Still on the WL at Michigan, but they expect to make only 5 offers, and our best guess is that the WL still contains 150-250 people. Also on the WL at Cornell, but based on how reserve just ended for me, I don't know why I should expect anything to come from that.

Columbia - Ding (only applied because of the stupid fee waiver they gave out a week before the Feb deadline)
Cornell - Reserve -> WL
GULC - Ding
UCLA - WL/withdrew
Vandy - Ding (half my family went here for med/engineering, kind of annoyed I didn't even get a WL)
WUSTL - In, 84k, likely attending (thank God for the >168 = admit with 84k metric)
ND- WL/withdrew
Alabama - WL/withdrew

Possible explanations for the pretty terrible cycle: rolling admissions, PS, maybe a bad rec (HIGHLY doubt this, still have pretty good relationships with the profs 2 years out of UG). I got my apps to all schools but Cornell and GULC out with a 172 and by November 15. On Jan 21, I decided to retake because I had had a major meltdown on the OCT games that took me from a 180 to a 172 and because I had no decisions but WUSTL's. Ended up improving to the 176 obviously, but my app was unfortunately on hold from Jan 21 to Mar 6 because of this, and I think that really hurt a lot because the schools were of course still admitting.

1) Whyd you withdraw from the NU wl? BK just got in and I think he has similar (if not a little lower LSAT) numbers.

2)I know you don't want to but have you considered applying early next year? Another year WE and you are a lock at NU, probably with some finaid if you apply day one, you are also in ED at UVA from day one/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:58 am

Kabuo- that's shit. My condolences. Something must have gone wrong

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:19 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Kabuo wrote:Reviving this thread now that my cycle is all but complete. Still on the WL at Michigan, but they expect to make only 5 offers, and our best guess is that the WL still contains 150-250 people. Also on the WL at Cornell, but based on how reserve just ended for me, I don't know why I should expect anything to come from that.

Cornell - Reserve -> WL
GULC - Ding
UCLA - WL/withdrew
ND- WL/withdrew
Alabama - WL/withdrew

1) Whyd you withdraw from the NU wl? BK just got in and I think he has similar (if not a little lower LSAT) numbers.

2)I know you don't want to but have you considered applying early next year? Another year WE and you are a lock at NU, probably with some finaid if you apply day one, you are also in ED at UVA from day one/
The NU thing is really weird. I wrote about this in the ding bar, but I'll repeat it here. I ended up applying only because they gave me a fee waiver. My only work experience had been part time at Home Depot throughout the last year and a half of UG, which I continued during the app cycle because I was pretty sure I was looking at at least one of the lower T14 anyway, and because I can't really get a more substantial job without moving to a real city, which I didn't want to bother with since I was going to be in LS this coming year anyway. So anyway, I tried to withdraw my app shortly after sending it once I had read how hopeless my app was with no full time WE. Don't ask me why I would withdraw and not just let it ride now that I'd paid the $12. I was embarrassed about applying with no shot or something, and didn't want to waste the time of the alumnus who I was supposed to contact about an interview. Anyway, I told the alumnus I was withdrawing, and he responded saying ok. I told the school I was withdrawing and got no response. A month later, they told me I was running out of time to do an interview, so I told them again that I wanted to withdraw. That was the end of it I thought, until 2 months later when I got a WL. I might still be on this WL for all I know, even though I didn't do the post WL interview or even indicate a desire to stay on.

And yes, I've considered applying next year a lot. I think I can get a deferral from Michigan if I try for it. I just would rather start this year. There are so many family members/friends/professors waiting to hear where I'm ending up, and I think I would just rather go to Wash U this year on a relatively generous scholarship. If I do super well and want to transfer, I can, and if not, I wouldn't mind being employed in the midwest with <100k debt. I'm in OH anyway, and I think I could come back here if I had to.

stylishlaw

Bronze

Post by stylishlaw » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:48 pm

Kabuo wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

Cornell - Reserve -> WL
GULC - Ding
UCLA - WL/withdrew
ND- WL/withdrew
Alabama - WL/withdrew

The NU thing is really weird. I wrote about this in the ding bar, but I'll repeat it here. I ended up applying only because they gave me a fee waiver. My only work experience had been part time at Home Depot throughout the last year and a half of UG, which I continued during the app cycle because I was pretty sure I was looking at at least one of the lower T14 anyway, and because I can't really get a more substantial job without moving to a real city, which I didn't want to bother with since I was going to be in LS this coming year anyway. So anyway, I tried to withdraw my app shortly after sending it once I had read how hopeless my app was with no full time WE. Don't ask me why I would withdraw and not just let it ride now that I'd paid the $12. I was embarrassed about applying with no shot or something, and didn't want to waste the time of the alumnus who I was supposed to contact about an interview. Anyway, I told the alumnus I was withdrawing, and he responded saying ok. I told the school I was withdrawing and got no response. A month later, they told me I was running out of time to do an interview, so I told them again that I wanted to withdraw. That was the end of it I thought, until 2 months later when I got a WL. I might still be on this WL for all I know, even though I didn't do the post WL interview or even indicate a desire to stay on.

And yes, I've considered applying next year a lot. I think I can get a deferral from Michigan if I try for it. I just would rather start this year. There are so many family members/friends/professors waiting to hear where I'm ending up, and I think I would just rather go to Wash U this year on a relatively generous scholarship. If I do super well and want to transfer, I can, and if not, I wouldn't mind being employed in the midwest with <100k debt. I'm in OH anyway, and I think I could come back here if I had to.

You didn't have to retake with a 3.2/172, a higher LSAT wouldn't have changed your cycle at all and the earlier application could have helped you. <3.5 GPA is out at HYSCCN so it's not like the stereotypical TLS-response of 'retake' would open more doors for you. I think retaking and delaying your app till Mar 6 really, really hurt you here. You'll enjoy WUSTL though, I enjoyed my visit there.

sanetruth

Bronze

Post by sanetruth » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:53 pm

stylishlaw wrote:
Kabuo wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

Cornell - Reserve -> WL
GULC - Ding
UCLA - WL/withdrew
ND- WL/withdrew
Alabama - WL/withdrew

You didn't have to retake with a 3.2/172, a higher LSAT wouldn't have changed your cycle at all and the earlier application could have helped you. <3.5 GPA is out at HYSCCN so it's not like the stereotypical TLS-response of 'retake' would open more doors for you. I think retaking and delaying your app till Mar 6 really, really hurt you here. You'll enjoy WUSTL though, I enjoyed my visit there.
Well it was only a few schools that were delayed, correct? I mean obviously he applied to Mich and UVA with the 172 as they were ED applications. How many were put on hold till March?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:59 pm

@Kabuo: How are you two years out of UG and the only work experience you have is from UG?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:03 pm

splitmuch wrote: 1) Whyd you withdraw from the NU wl? BK just got in and I think he has similar (if not a little lower LSAT) numbers.
Slightly lower LSAT, much worse GPA (sub 3), but I am URM and have a year of work exp after college.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:07 pm

bk187 wrote:
splitmuch wrote: 1) Whyd you withdraw from the NU wl? BK just got in and I think he has similar (if not a little lower LSAT) numbers.
Slightly lower LSAT, much worse GPA (sub 3), but I am URM and have a year of work exp after college.
Ya I assumed he had some WE since he said he was two yrs out.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:24 pm

Withdrawing from NW when you had no better acceptances was stupid. You already applied, paid 12 bucks to send the scores. There was no cost to stay on that WL. And they might have taken you.

You fucked yourself at GULC by holding yourself for a retake. Why let every school BUT GULC and Cornell have your 172? Those schools wouldn't care if you got a 180.

Dumb as fuck son. Though 84K at WUSTL isn't the worst. I'd still wait a year and see how their OCI goes. It's been TTT for the last two years.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Withdrawing from NW when you had no better acceptances was stupid. You already applied, paid 12 bucks to send the scores. There was no cost to stay on that WL. And they might have taken you.

You fucked yourself at GULC by holding yourself for a retake. Why let every school BUT GULC and Cornell have your 172? Those schools wouldn't care if you got a 180.

Dumb as fuck son. Though 84K at WUSTL isn't the worst. I'd still wait a year and see how their OCI goes. It's been TTT for the last two years.
Damn dude, not really gonna dispute your analysis but at this point what good is piling on?

I have heard the same thing about their WUSTL's OCI though. Kabuo if youre deadset good luck and I'm sure youll do well and and enjoy STL. But really don't let others' opinions influence youre law school decision. You already hurt yourself once doing that with withdrawing from NU because you didn't want to "waste their time," if other people asking questions is your main reason to go now, you should definitley wait.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:16 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Withdrawing from NW when you had no better acceptances was stupid. You already applied, paid 12 bucks to send the scores. There was no cost to stay on that WL. And they might have taken you.

Damn dude, not really gonna dispute your analysis but at this point what good is piling on?

I have heard the same thing about their WUSTL's OCI though. Kabuo if youre deadset good luck and I'm sure youll do well and and enjoy STL. But really don't let others' opinions influence youre law school decision. You already hurt yourself once doing that with withdrawing from NU because you didn't want to "waste their time," if other people asking questions is your main reason to go now, you should definitley wait.
To be fair, he probably wouldn't get in anyway. Also to make sure nobody does stupid shit like this again. Some TLSers are really quick to withdraw from schools. They do it as an emotional reaction instead of a logical decision.

I think Chicago firms are going to have a decent hiring plan this year, which might bode well for WUSTL.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:11 pm

stylishlaw wrote: You didn't have to retake with a 3.2/172, a higher LSAT wouldn't have changed your cycle at all and the earlier application could have helped you. <3.5 GPA is out at HYSCCN so it's not like the stereotypical TLS-response of 'retake' would open more doors for you. I think retaking and delaying your app till Mar 6 really, really hurt you here. You'll enjoy WUSTL though, I enjoyed my visit there.
Completely disagree with this. However, the two schools that he should've been able to snag at least one of - GULC and Cornell - likely wouldn't care if his LSAT varied, so the wise choice would've probably been to just send those applications in early and update for the LSAT later on. Or, better yet, wait a cycle.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Some TLSers are really quick to withdraw from schools. They do it as an emotional reaction instead of a logical decision.
Agreed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:12 pm

czelede wrote:Or, better yet, wait a cycle.
Why is this not being mentioned more?

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:24 pm

As for the being out 2 years and having no substantial WE, I was dabbling with poker at the time. My friend (I taught him actually) is up over 250k this year and had put me on a pretty generous stake. Also, I was only 9 months out when I applied. It will be almost 2 years out by the time I start LS. Poorly worded, sorry. And yes, DF, I know how stupid it was to withdraw from NU. I was just about 100% sure I had UVA ED locked up as a worst case scenario, which is something I think TLSers can learn from my cycle. >3 >171 is not an auto admit to UVA ED if you wait til Christmas.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:28 pm

Kabuo wrote:As for the being out 2 years and having no substantial WE, I was dabbling with poker at the time. My friend (I taught him actually) is up over 250k this year and had put me on a pretty generous stake. Also, I was only 9 months out when I applied. It will be almost 2 years out by the time I start LS. Poorly worded, sorry. And yes, DF, I know how stupid it was to withdraw from NU. I was just about 100% sure I had UVA ED locked up as a worst case scenario, which is something I think TLSers can learn from my cycle. >3 >171 is not an auto admit to UVA ED if you wait til Christmas.
Yes the late UVA ED thing is important for others. I wonder whether having a 2 year gap on your resume possibly hurt you as well.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:36 pm

bk187 wrote:
Kabuo wrote:As for the being out 2 years and having no substantial WE, I was dabbling with poker at the time. My friend (I taught him actually) is up over 250k this year and had put me on a pretty generous stake. Also, I was only 9 months out when I applied. It will be almost 2 years out by the time I start LS. Poorly worded, sorry. And yes, DF, I know how stupid it was to withdraw from NU. I was just about 100% sure I had UVA ED locked up as a worst case scenario, which is something I think TLSers can learn from my cycle. >3 >171 is not an auto admit to UVA ED if you wait til Christmas.
Yes the late UVA ED thing is important for others. I wonder whether having a 2 year gap on your resume possibly hurt you as well.
I imagine it does. Combined with a low GPA it makes him look like a loser. TBH I probably wouldn't admit anyone who didn't have a job for two years to my law school. Because there is a good chance they'll leave my school unemployed as well. Not saying this dood is like that but the odds are high.
Last edited by 09042014 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:37 pm

This raises an interesting question. If it were me, I'd honestly rather put down professional poker than have a gap on the resume.

bigjinjapan

Bronze

Post by bigjinjapan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Cornell - Reserve -> WL
GULC - Ding
UCLA - WL/withdrew
ND- WL/withdrew
Alabama - WL/withdrew

This is pretty brutal. I won't flog a dead horse repeating what others have posted, but one thing that occurs to me is that, with a situation like yours you really need to craft your application into a strong and coherent narrative about yourself and what brought you to law school. Splitters are already at a disadvantage, and 2 years out of UG (was it 1 year when you applied?) with no real WE to speak of is going to hurt you. Did you actually not talk about your poker playing in your app? This seems like something that, if you addressed it and wrote your application around it would really make you stand out, but you have to couch it in the right terms; i.e., make sure it looks like it has played a key role in your personal development and decision to apply to law school, not "I've been screwing around playing poker for the last year while getting around to applying."

I also had a pretty weak splitter app with worse numbers (3.0/171) and a resume that could be interpreted negatively (I've dabbled in a lot of different things), but I did work really hard in my app on constructing a cohesive narrative around it, which I think helped me get into some schools that should have been out for me.

Seriously though, for future applicants, DON'T give up on your WLs. It doesn't cost anything to stay on there and keep bombarding them with LOCIs; the only people withdrawing helps are the adcomms and other people riding the WL.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Lol, I didn't just put in a blank resume guys. I had a 20 hour a week volunteer gig and a 20 hour a week retail POS job on there. And I made a thread on here asking about putting poker stuff in because I thought it would make a compelling PS, which was met with a pretty resounding no. Other posters have also talked about putting poker in their apps, and also been told no, especially in light of online poker recently being shut down by the FBI and the SDNY. And yes, as I said above, I was 9 months out of UG when I applied to LS. It will be almost 2 years by the time I get to LS, and I am working, just part time.

And I am by no means a professional poker player. I'm up like 20k total in my life from online and live games/tournaments, and it hasn't really been an important part of my life since my freshman and sophomore year (when it definitely contributed to my 3.2). My friend is, and I did teach him, but he is a lot better than me now. Also poorly worded and I can see how someone would think that I was a pro.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:27 pm

I still think there is something seriously wrong with your application. Sure, a 2 year gap in employment (even though it wasn't a complete gap) looks bad, but let's not forget the golden rule of TLS: THIS IS A NUMBERS GAME. Your numbers should have gotten you in some of these places. 176 is astronomical and your GPA isn't that bad.

How many people have looked at your PS? If you want, you should PM it to some more ppl. Maybe you just made a flagrant grammatical mistake or it made you sound like an asshole or something. If that's the problem and you fix it, I'm sure you would have much better luck next cycle. Or go to WUSTL, w/e, but if it were me I wouldn't settle for WUSTL w/ your #s.

Good luck

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”