St. John's vs. Seton Hall

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tttlllsss

Re: St. John's vs. Seton Hall

Postby tttlllsss » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:12 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:
ebl1014 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:C) None of the above. Unless it is free.

Ugh. Why don't you read the thread before wasting your and everyone else's time by posting some stupid remark.... made EXTRA stupid by the fact that at least one of the schools that the OP is considering WILL be free.

LOL - nevermind the $60k+ COL in NYC

This guy guarantees that it "WILL be free"

I can tell you're a real treat IRL.

Oh no, another ad hominem from BrownBears09. What will I ever do in the face of these insurmountable arguments!?

Serious question - why do you encourage people into situations where they will be suffocated by debt? Is it because you're afraid to be impolite, or because you're really that clueless?

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:20 pm

tttlllsss wrote:LOL CLUELESS NEW GRAD 0L BANTER ABOUT EMPLOYMENT

FTFY. Please don't act like that IRL.

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:24 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:

FTFY.

Edit: Don't want to argue this point any longer. The employment data is all online (as well as debt data). We all know what happens to kids at these schools who end up below median. No point in drilling it into the ground.
Last edited by tttlllsss on Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

kehoema2

Postby kehoema2 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:24 pm

Being from NJ I would say if you have any interest in Seton Hall, I really hope you threw an app to Rutgers Newark. It is beyond me why anyone would go to Seton Hall unless they got substantial money. I have heard that Seton Hall may be regarded slightly higher in NJ, but for the tuition difference, it is in no way worth it.

IF it is possible for you to go to St. John's while living home, that may not be a bad deal. It's definitely not the ideal, but if you have roughly $30k in loans after graduation you won't be terribly off in my opinion. This is especially so if you have some strong connections. If not, it is a little more risky. Also, I'm not sure I would go to Fordham, but keep in mind I am debt averse.

Also definitely keep in mind the stipulations of each scholarship and definitely try to get them removed. Otherwise you only increase your risk.

acirilli1722

Postby acirilli1722 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Do you have a stipulation for the scholarship at SJ? That sometimes can be a factor. However if the stipulation is reasonable I wouldn't think commuting to SJ on a full ride would put OP in too big of a hole, especially compared to what most people end up paying. I wouldn't think that the schools listed are going to offer you a ton more in terms of opportunities to make up for the extra cost. Sj doesn't sound like a bad option at all to me.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:47 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:

FTFY. Please don't act like that IRL.

So what do you call it when the 1Ls, 2Ls, 3Ls, and practicing attorneys say it? Is it "LOL CLUELESS 3L BANTER ABOUT EMPLOYMENT!" ?

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:55 am

the stipulation is 40% to keep the full ride. I'm going to try and work on improving that if I choose to go there. I'd also be making a short commute from home. The debt would be pretty manageable.

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:05 am

It's mind blowing to me that some people on here speak, with absolute certainty, about the suffocating debt i will be in combined with my (inevitable?) loss of scholarship. This is all despite the fact that I would have a full ride, zero living expenses and, despite what some all-knowing beings on this board suggest, do not intend on falling out of the top 40%.

Thanks to every one else for your advice though, I appreciate it.

acirilli1722

Postby acirilli1722 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:22 am

To be honest with I am preying that I can end up with as little debt as you potentially have. I know COL in NY is high but not only does the full scholarship help forget about that but having a place to stay is even better. Also a 40% stipulation isn't bad. There are just some schools who make their stipulations higher then the curve they grade you on (usually lower tier schools ranked well below SJU but you never know) thats why I asked. I would say with debt you have a pretty much a perfect situation as you will probably accumulate less debt in your 3 years then most will in one year. I don't know what your tae on the school is and I can't say I know much about it myself to really give a good opinion, but if you like the school or if SJU is what you are looking for, however if it is one you are strongly considering I would say you are in a pretty good situation

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:05 am

rocon7383 wrote:the stipulation is 40% to keep the full ride. I'm going to try and work on improving that if I choose to go there. I'd also be making a short commute from home. The debt would be pretty manageable.

If you've got zero living expenses, then I think you'd be okay then. As long as you realize what a tough market it is and how uphill your battle will be, then go for it. Not an ideal situation obviously, but zero debt or close to it probably makes going to one of these schools justifiable.

I will just say that you shouldn't be so confident in top 40%. It sounds a lot easier than it is. There is really no way to know how you're going to do before law school, and I know a lot of smart, confident people who struggled this past semester. If you can get that stipulation dropped, I'd do it, or at least be willing to drop out if you drop out if you aren't in the top 40%.

Good luck to you man.

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:23 pm

romothesavior wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:the stipulation is 40% to keep the full ride. I'm going to try and work on improving that if I choose to go there. I'd also be making a short commute from home. The debt would be pretty manageable.

If you've got zero living expenses, then I think you'd be okay then. As long as you realize what a tough market it is and how uphill your battle will be, then go for it. Not an ideal situation obviously, but zero debt or close to it probably makes going to one of these schools justifiable.

I will just say that you shouldn't be so confident in top 40%. It sounds a lot easier than it is. There is really no way to know how you're going to do before law school, and I know a lot of smart, confident people who struggled this past semester. If you can get that stipulation dropped, I'd do it, or at least be willing to drop out if you drop out if you aren't in the top 40%.

Good luck to you man.

Thanks man. Still wating to hear back from Brooklyn and Cardozo so they'll give me a clearer picture.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:38 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Good luck to you man.

Thanks man. Still wating to hear back from Brooklyn and Cardozo so they'll give me a clearer picture.

I'm in a similar situation as you, full scholarship to STJ, able to live at home 20 minutes away if I choose, and could probably move closer for 2L and 3L with no debt total after 3 years. I'm waiting on BLS also, as well as Rutgers-Newark, and I think that so much of the doom and gloom talk and reasons to be scared about committing to law school are tied to debt... since we won't have hardly any, and if you want to have a law degree, and you're going be flexible after graduation because of the lack of debt, these things eliminate many of the reasons that fear is preached on this forum. Good luck to you, I wonder what we'll get from BLS.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”