St. John's vs. Seton Hall Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rocon7383

Bronze

St. John's vs. Seton Hall

Post by rocon7383 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:21 pm

Hey everybody,

I was wondering if I could get some advice on my situation. I have been waitlisted at Fordham, have a full ride to St. Johns and $35,000 a year to Seton Hall. I'm still waiting on Cardozo and Brooklyn, but If the decision comes down St. Johns vs Seton Hall which school would you choose? Also, say I get in to Fordham-- do i forgo the 150,000$ in savings with the scholarship and go to Fordham?

Thanks in advance.

bk1

Diamond

Re: St. John's vs. Seton Hall

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:26 pm

Whichever one is cheaper assuming you can get the scholarship stipulations removed or they are easier.

I'd probably say that Fordham isn't worth sticker compared to a full ride at St. John's.

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:42 pm

rocon7383 wrote:Hey everybody,

I was wondering if I could get some advice on my situation. I have been waitlisted at Fordham, have a full ride to St. Johns and $35,000 a year to Seton Hall. I'm still waiting on Cardozo and Brooklyn, but If the decision comes down St. Johns vs Seton Hall which school would you choose? Also, say I get in to Fordham-- do i forgo the 150,000$ in savings with the scholarship and go to Fordham?

Thanks in advance.
[St. John's full-ride] > [Fordham sticker] > [Seton Hall $105k]

Let's say you get 1/2-rides at BLS and Dozo, however:

[BLS 1/2-ride] > [Dozo 1/2-ride] > [St. John's full-ride]

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:44 pm

tttlllsss wrote:[BLS 1/2-ride] > [Dozo 1/2-ride] > [St. John's full-ride]
Very much disagree with this.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:49 pm

bk187 wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:[BLS 1/2-ride] > [Dozo 1/2-ride] > [St. John's full-ride]
Very much disagree with this.

I don't want to put words into your mouth, but I assume you feel this way because you think Dozo 1/2 ride is better than bls 1/2 ride? Or is it because the 70gs I'll save by going to St. Johns are worth it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:50 pm

rocon7383 wrote: I don't want to put words into your mouth, but I assume you feel this way because you think Dozo 1/2 ride is better than bls 1/2 ride? Or is it because the 70gs I'll save by going to St. Johns are worth it?
Because Dozo and BLS are not significantly better enough than St. John's to justify all the extra money it would cost to attend them, even on a 1/2 scholarship.

RW65

Bronze

Post by RW65 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:06 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
Let's say you get 1/2-rides at BLS and Dozo, however:

[BLS 1/2-ride] > [Dozo 1/2-ride] > [St. John's full-ride]
LOL what?? Brooklyn = Cardozo = St. John's. Go to the school that gives you the most money with the easiest stipulations out of these three. Any other choice is purely an emotional decision and most likely not a sound one.

I'm of the opinion that if you are looking for biglaw Fordham at sticker is better than SJU full-ride, but only by a small amount. This also depends on how debt-averse you are.

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:03 am

From what I've heard from students attending T2 schools in NYC, BLS has a slight edge over Cardozo in NYC.

I would be willing to concede, however, that generally, BLS = Dozo = St. Johns

None of these schools are going to give you great opportunities in NYC, so it's kinda hard to place them relative to one another

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:16 am

tttlllsss wrote:From what I've heard from students attending T2 schools in NYC, BLS has a slight edge over Cardozo in NYC.

None of these schools are going to give you great opportunities in NYC, so it's kinda hard to place them relative to one another
That seems like a pretty outrageous statement since you don't know what type of law I want to practice and/or what my class rank will be in 3 years. Regardless, I appreciate the feedback.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:19 am

dont forget to take into consideration cost of attendance. this includes housing expenses. Even with a full ride, you will be looking at a lot of debt just from trying to get a decent place to live in NYC. Is it really worth it to you to spend half tuition + C.O.A? Can you afford the debt? are you willing to take it on? The schools you are lookiing at are peer schools. Seton Hall places more in Jersey than NYC though.

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:31 am

rocon7383 wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:From what I've heard from students attending T2 schools in NYC, BLS has a slight edge over Cardozo in NYC.

That seems like a pretty outrageous statement since you don't know what type of law I want to practice and/or what my class rank will be in 3 years. Regardless, I appreciate the feedback.
What - that none of these schools are going to give you great opportunities in NYC? Sorry, but it has nothing to do with what sort of law you want to practice. I'm not talking about biglaw, I'm talking about any sort of decent legal employment, and these schools will give you scant offerings with that regard.

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:34 am

tttlllsss wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:

What - that none of these schools are going to give you great opportunities in NYC? Sorry, but it has nothing to do with what sort of law you want to practice. I'm not talking about biglaw, I'm talking about any sort of decent legal employment, and these schools will give you scant offerings with that regard.
Above 0L says "CCN or bust. Otherwise, you'll end up without a job and 160k in debt (because you'll definitely lose your scholarship.)"

:roll:

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:39 am

TCR is to go to the school that offers the most money. Right now, it is looking like St. John's full ride is the way to go.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:43 am

BrownBears09 wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:

Above 0L says "CCN or bust. Otherwise, you'll end up without a job and 160k in debt (because you'll definitely lose your scholarship.)"

:roll:
First, that's not what I said. Second, what does being a 0L have to do with it? Does that make my statement any less true?

What if I said I personally knew people above median at all three of these schools w/out legal employment? Would that change your condescending tone?
Last edited by tttlllsss on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:44 am

northwood wrote:dont forget to take into consideration cost of attendance. this includes housing expenses. Even with a full ride, you will be looking at a lot of debt just from trying to get a decent place to live in NYC. Is it really worth it to you to spend half tuition + C.O.A? Can you afford the debt? are you willing to take it on? The schools you are lookiing at are peer schools. Seton Hall places more in Jersey than NYC though.
That's a good point, especially with Seton Hall. I actually live about 30 minutes from St. Johns so if I went there, I'd probably commute.

RW65

Bronze

Post by RW65 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:29 am

rocon7383 wrote:
northwood wrote:dont forget to take into consideration cost of attendance. this includes housing expenses. Even with a full ride, you will be looking at a lot of debt just from trying to get a decent place to live in NYC. Is it really worth it to you to spend half tuition + C.O.A? Can you afford the debt? are you willing to take it on? The schools you are lookiing at are peer schools. Seton Hall places more in Jersey than NYC though.
That's a good point, especially with Seton Hall. I actually live about 30 minutes from St. Johns so if I went there, I'd probably commute.
COA adds about $22K/year to your loans if you take the full amount. By living at home, and going to school with a full ride, you could presumably cut this down to maybe $10K/year and leave school with only $30K in loans.

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:36 am

tttlllsss wrote: First, that's not what I said. Second, what does being a 0L have to do with it? Does that make my statement any less true?

What if I said I personally knew people above median at all three of these schools w/out legal employment? Would that change your condescending tone?
You're a 0L, with no experience in legal recruiting or hiring, giving doom-and-gloom employment advice. Your credentials for employment advice match mine. Here's a hint, I have none.

So yes to your first, and no to your second.

Edit: Not to mention you have an avatar satirizing cooley law school... I mean you're a 0L, lol.
Last edited by BrownBears09 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

acirilli1722

New

Post by acirilli1722 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:38 am

I would definitely say St. Johns full ride, possibly Fordham at sticker if you get in. I haven't exactly heard great things about Seton Hall. Also if you are attached to Newark, and I don't know why anybody would be, you might wanna look into Rutgers-Newark, it is cheaper, similar if not better job prospects than Seton Hall, and I have heard better experiences there.

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:40 am

acirilli1722 wrote:I would definitely say St. Johns full ride, possibly Fordham at sticker if you get in. I haven't exactly heard great things about Seton Hall. Also if you are attached to Newark, and I don't know why anybody would be, you might wanna look into Rutgers-Newark, it is cheaper, similar if not better job prospects than Seton Hall, and I have heard better experiences there.
+1

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:44 am

C) None of the above. Unless it is free.

ebl1014

Bronze

Post by ebl1014 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:57 am

romothesavior wrote:C) None of the above. Unless it is free.
Ugh. Why don't you read the thread before wasting your and everyone else's time by posting some stupid remark.... made EXTRA stupid by the fact that at least one of the schools that the OP is considering WILL be free.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:31 am

ebl1014 wrote:
Ugh. Why don't you read the thread before wasting your and everyone else's time by posting some stupid remark.... made EXTRA stupid by the fact that at least one of the schools that the OP is considering WILL be free.
The problem is, free isn't really free. To go to a law school (especially one in NYC) costs a lot of money even if you pay 0 in tuition. OP could easily rack up 60-75k (or even more in New York) in debt based on COL and fees alone. Unless OP has a nice little egg he's sitting on or has family/spouse that is subsidizing this venture, I would definitely avoid both of these schools like the plague. I have a prof who taught at St. John's before coming to his current job, and his take on the job possibilities for students there is beyond bleak.

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:41 pm

ebl1014 wrote:
LOL - nevermind the $60k+ COL in NYC

This guy guarantees that it "WILL be free"

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:02 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
ebl1014 wrote:
LOL - nevermind the $60k+ COL in NYC

This guy guarantees that it "WILL be free"
I can tell you're a real treat IRL.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:06 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:I can tell you're a real treat IRL.
Sick burn.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”