Toledo 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
beidoun
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:27 am

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby beidoun » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:12 pm

gothamm wrote:got my acceptance letter in the mail today. came in a large white envelope. I was surprised that there was no scholly offer for me (162/3.16). Is this something they include in the acceptance package, or do they mail it out in a separate envelope?


I went complete 1/25 and accepted via status checker 1/28. Just got the acceptance package yesterday and I also had no scholarship offer (166, 2.96). I called the admissions office and they said they send the scholarship offer a couple week after the acceptance package.

My fraternity brothers graduated top of the class at toledo and on law review. He just graduated in May and is still unemployed. I was really considering Toledo until heard about his situation today.

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby gothamm » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:25 pm

beidoun wrote:
gothamm wrote:got my acceptance letter in the mail today. came in a large white envelope. I was surprised that there was no scholly offer for me (162/3.16). Is this something they include in the acceptance package, or do they mail it out in a separate envelope?


I went complete 1/25 and accepted via status checker 1/28. Just got the acceptance package yesterday and I also had no scholarship offer (166, 2.96). I called the admissions office and they said they send the scholarship offer a couple week after the acceptance package.

My fraternity brothers graduated top of the class at toledo and on law review. He just graduated in May and is still unemployed. I was really considering Toledo until heard about his situation today.


graduated top of his class and jobless? that is very hard to believe, even for a TTT. Can you elaborate on this?


also, thanks for calling admissions. Saved me a phone call :)

bradley
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby bradley » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:52 pm

Hard to believe?!?! Have you been reading my posts? When I say very few people from Toledo have jobs, I'm talking single digits. You can probably count them on one hand. And this is out of 100 or so students per class. Toledo is an AWFUL choice for law school right now.

User avatar
beidoun
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:27 am

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby beidoun » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:09 am

gothamm wrote:
beidoun wrote:
gothamm wrote:got my acceptance letter in the mail today. came in a large white envelope. I was surprised that there was no scholly offer for me (162/3.16). Is this something they include in the acceptance package, or do they mail it out in a separate envelope?


I went complete 1/25 and accepted via status checker 1/28. Just got the acceptance package yesterday and I also had no scholarship offer (166, 2.96). I called the admissions office and they said they send the scholarship offer a couple week after the acceptance package.

My fraternity brothers graduated top of the class at toledo and on law review. He just graduated in May and is still unemployed. I was really considering Toledo until heard about his situation today.


graduated top of his class and jobless? that is very hard to believe, even for a TTT. Can you elaborate on this?


also, thanks for calling admissions. Saved me a phone call :)


I will ask him about it when I get my scholarship offer and get details. But I know for a fact he does not have a job. It could be because hes looking for jobs in Michigan and not the toledo area, but SE Michigan is only an hour away from toledo.

Still pretty crappy regardless of the situation to not even have a job after 10 months after being on law review and being at the top of class.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby TommyK » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:39 pm

beidoun wrote:
gothamm wrote:
beidoun wrote:
gothamm wrote:got my acceptance letter in the mail today. came in a large white envelope. I was surprised that there was no scholly offer for me (162/3.16). Is this something they include in the acceptance package, or do they mail it out in a separate envelope?


I went complete 1/25 and accepted via status checker 1/28. Just got the acceptance package yesterday and I also had no scholarship offer (166, 2.96). I called the admissions office and they said they send the scholarship offer a couple week after the acceptance package.

My fraternity brothers graduated top of the class at toledo and on law review. He just graduated in May and is still unemployed. I was really considering Toledo until heard about his situation today.


graduated top of his class and jobless? that is very hard to believe, even for a TTT. Can you elaborate on this?


also, thanks for calling admissions. Saved me a phone call :)


I will ask him about it when I get my scholarship offer and get details. But I know for a fact he does not have a job. It could be because hes looking for jobs in Michigan and not the toledo area, but SE Michigan is only an hour away from toledo.

Still pretty crappy regardless of the situation to not even have a job after 10 months after being on law review and being at the top of class.


FWIW, I have a couple attorney friends who are in the NW Ohio area / SE Mich area and they've all said the same thing - the Toledo legal market is incredibly insular. It's tough to get a job there without a strong previous connection. This is likely what Toledo's law program is facing. Like most schools, Toledo only has a regional reach and their region is in ugly economic shape.

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby gothamm » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:48 pm

well...I am convinced. Probably will not be attending. Still was curious as to what kind of offer i receive because i could use it to gauge how my other applications will turn out.

solarae
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby solarae » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:02 pm

same here, i am running from toledo now.

User avatar
beidoun
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:27 am

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby beidoun » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:56 pm

solarae wrote:same here, i am running from toledo now.


Depending on the scholarship offer and my conversation with my fraternity brother about Toledo law, I am more the likely running away from Toledo as well.

mill1735
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby mill1735 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:17 pm

In as well on 2/7.

WVUguy11
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby WVUguy11 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:59 pm

In via status checker on 2/3, and waiting on packet.

solarae
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby solarae » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:01 pm

I received a letter or two, but no scholarship yet. I'm wondering if this actually means they aren't giving me anything (impossible!?), or if I should follow up since I'm antsy. I want to use it as leverage against other schools since I assumed it'd be a good one.

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby gothamm » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

so did anyone get any scholly money? If so, could you post the date you were accepted, and how long it took for you to receive the scholly mail? greatly appreciated..

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby TommyK » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:41 pm

gothamm wrote:so did anyone get any scholly money? If so, could you post the date you were accepted, and how long it took for you to receive the scholly mail? greatly appreciated..


Yes. Applied 1/9; Accepted 1/18; Received scholarship information 1/22 Full tuition.

solarae
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby solarae » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:15 pm

FYI for anyone waiting, after asking twice:

Thanks for your response. You have not been awarded a scholarship at this point. Without a state budget in place for 2012, we have not been able to extend the usual amount of scholarship awards to incoming students. Once the state budget is released (March 15 is the anticipated date), we should have a better idea of our budget for next year, and will be able to release additional awards at that time.

I guess this is my shocker for the cycle. After all the awards I got, I thought Toledo would try a little harder for me! I guess I'll withdraw sooner rather than later, I don't think I'll be getting anything worth helping me bargain at other schools.

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby gothamm » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:04 pm

could you pm me your #s solarae?

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby TommyK » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:16 pm

gothamm wrote:could you pm me your #s solarae?


solarae wrote:what! wow! I am 3.15 & 157. What were yours? Three days.. that has to be a record.


Solarae - give it some time. No reason to throw in the towel just because a school is trying to figure out how much money they'll have.

findlayswimmer28
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby findlayswimmer28 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:49 pm

I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. I hate to say it, but 157 is not high enough to get an automatic scholarship offer. I didn't receive a scholarship offer until April and I had higher numbers. I also harassed the dean of admissions weekly until they gave me money.

solarae
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby solarae » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:08 pm

findlayswimmer28 wrote:I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. I hate to say it, but 157 is not high enough to get an automatic scholarship offer. I didn't receive a scholarship offer until April and I had higher numbers. I also harassed the dean of admissions weekly until they gave me money.



ok, sounds good. thanks! Glad to hear harassment worked for you, I may have to try it!

WVUguy11
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby WVUguy11 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Findlay: Are the employment prospects as bleak as others have conveyed on this board?

findlayswimmer28
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby findlayswimmer28 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:01 pm

WVUguy11 wrote:Findlay: Are the employment prospects as bleak as others have conveyed on this board?



Employment prospects are pretty crummy everywhere right now, but the market is rebounding and jobs are becoming more available. Generally speaking for most schools (excluding tier 1), I don't think expecting to have a job at graduation is realistic in this economy unless you have family connections or are at the top of your class. That being said, however, once you graduate and pass the bar, very few people seem to have difficulty finding a job. As far as summer positions go, the Toledo bar is fantastic and finding a paid summer job is relatively easy.

bradley
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby bradley » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:15 pm

findlayswimmer28 wrote:
WVUguy11 wrote:Findlay: Are the employment prospects as bleak as others have conveyed on this board?



Employment prospects are pretty crummy everywhere right now, but the market is rebounding and jobs are becoming more available. Generally speaking for most schools (excluding tier 1), I don't think expecting to have a job at graduation is realistic in this economy unless you have family connections or are at the top of your class. That being said, however, once you graduate and pass the bar, very few people seem to have difficulty finding a job. As far as summer positions go, the Toledo bar is fantastic and finding a paid summer job is relatively easy.


This is just not true. It is just flat out not true. There were what, 6 or 7 paid summer jobs available in all of Toledo last summer? And half of those went to students who didn't go to Toledo. And I don't think any of them turned into full time jobs post-graduation. I'd like to hear about this booming post-bar job market you're talking about.

sarahc06
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:42 am

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby sarahc06 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get your opinions on my stats? I've been listed as "in review" on the status checker for quite a while, and I need to submit a deposit to one of the schools that I've been accepted to within the week so I'm running out of time!

LSAT: 152
GPA: 2.66 (My freshman year of college I suffered a head injury and lost short term memory, missing about 80% of my classes... I took some time off and returned to school and currently have a 3.52 gpa for my last three years of school, and a 3.67 degree gpa... obviously I wrote an addendum explaining this.)
Very strong personal statement
Strong recommendations
Average extra-curricular involvement
Full-time employment for last three years of school, part-time employment for freshman year

I guess I am just curious what my chances are and if it's a bad thing I've been in review for so long... Do addendums really work that well?

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby TommyK » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:59 pm

sarahc06 wrote:Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get your opinions on my stats? I've been listed as "in review" on the status checker for quite a while, and I need to submit a deposit to one of the schools that I've been accepted to within the week so I'm running out of time!

LSAT: 152
GPA: 2.66 (My freshman year of college I suffered a head injury and lost short term memory, missing about 80% of my classes... I took some time off and returned to school and currently have a 3.52 gpa for my last three years of school, and a 3.67 degree gpa... obviously I wrote an addendum explaining this.)
Very strong personal statement
Strong recommendations
Average extra-curricular involvement
Full-time employment for last three years of school, part-time employment for freshman year

I guess I am just curious what my chances are and if it's a bad thing I've been in review for so long... Do addendums really work that well?


Hey Sarah,

Not good. Your LSAT is at the 25th percentile for Toledo and your GPA is FAR below their 25th percentile.

You may get in, but if you do, you'll be paying full tuition. Take a year off and study for the LSAT. If you're able to get it into the 160's, you'll be looking at an acceptance, and historically a chance at some scholarship money. It's worth the year off.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChodeAnalBead, Christinabruin, JD_Kingfish and 9 guests