Toledo 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
beidoun

Bronze

Re: Toledo 2011

Post by beidoun » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:12 pm

gothamm wrote:got my acceptance letter in the mail today. came in a large white envelope. I was surprised that there was no scholly offer for me (162/3.16). Is this something they include in the acceptance package, or do they mail it out in a separate envelope?
I went complete 1/25 and accepted via status checker 1/28. Just got the acceptance package yesterday and I also had no scholarship offer (166, 2.96). I called the admissions office and they said they send the scholarship offer a couple week after the acceptance package.

My fraternity brothers graduated top of the class at toledo and on law review. He just graduated in May and is still unemployed. I was really considering Toledo until heard about his situation today.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:25 pm

beidoun wrote:
gothamm wrote:got my acceptance letter in the mail today. came in a large white envelope. I was surprised that there was no scholly offer for me (162/3.16). Is this something they include in the acceptance package, or do they mail it out in a separate envelope?
I went complete 1/25 and accepted via status checker 1/28. Just got the acceptance package yesterday and I also had no scholarship offer (166, 2.96). I called the admissions office and they said they send the scholarship offer a couple week after the acceptance package.

My fraternity brothers graduated top of the class at toledo and on law review. He just graduated in May and is still unemployed. I was really considering Toledo until heard about his situation today.
graduated top of his class and jobless? that is very hard to believe, even for a TTT. Can you elaborate on this?

also, thanks for calling admissions. Saved me a phone call :)

bradley

New

Post by bradley » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:52 pm

Hard to believe?!?! Have you been reading my posts? When I say very few people from Toledo have jobs, I'm talking single digits. You can probably count them on one hand. And this is out of 100 or so students per class. Toledo is an AWFUL choice for law school right now.

beidoun

Bronze

Post by beidoun » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:09 am

gothamm wrote:
beidoun wrote:

graduated top of his class and jobless? that is very hard to believe, even for a TTT. Can you elaborate on this?

I will ask him about it when I get my scholarship offer and get details. But I know for a fact he does not have a job. It could be because hes looking for jobs in Michigan and not the toledo area, but SE Michigan is only an hour away from toledo.

Still pretty crappy regardless of the situation to not even have a job after 10 months after being on law review and being at the top of class.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:39 pm

beidoun wrote:
gothamm wrote:
beidoun wrote:

I will ask him about it when I get my scholarship offer and get details. But I know for a fact he does not have a job. It could be because hes looking for jobs in Michigan and not the toledo area, but SE Michigan is only an hour away from toledo.

Still pretty crappy regardless of the situation to not even have a job after 10 months after being on law review and being at the top of class.
FWIW, I have a couple attorney friends who are in the NW Ohio area / SE Mich area and they've all said the same thing - the Toledo legal market is incredibly insular. It's tough to get a job there without a strong previous connection. This is likely what Toledo's law program is facing. Like most schools, Toledo only has a regional reach and their region is in ugly economic shape.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:48 pm

well...I am convinced. Probably will not be attending. Still was curious as to what kind of offer i receive because i could use it to gauge how my other applications will turn out.

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:02 pm

same here, i am running from toledo now.

beidoun

Bronze

Post by beidoun » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:56 pm

solarae wrote:same here, i am running from toledo now.
Depending on the scholarship offer and my conversation with my fraternity brother about Toledo law, I am more the likely running away from Toledo as well.

mill1735

New

Post by mill1735 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:17 pm

In as well on 2/7.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WVUguy11

Bronze

Post by WVUguy11 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:59 pm

In via status checker on 2/3, and waiting on packet.

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:01 pm

I received a letter or two, but no scholarship yet. I'm wondering if this actually means they aren't giving me anything (impossible!?), or if I should follow up since I'm antsy. I want to use it as leverage against other schools since I assumed it'd be a good one.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

so did anyone get any scholly money? If so, could you post the date you were accepted, and how long it took for you to receive the scholly mail? greatly appreciated..

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:41 pm

gothamm wrote:so did anyone get any scholly money? If so, could you post the date you were accepted, and how long it took for you to receive the scholly mail? greatly appreciated..
Yes. Applied 1/9; Accepted 1/18; Received scholarship information 1/22 Full tuition.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:15 pm

FYI for anyone waiting, after asking twice:

Thanks for your response. You have not been awarded a scholarship at this point. Without a state budget in place for 2012, we have not been able to extend the usual amount of scholarship awards to incoming students. Once the state budget is released (March 15 is the anticipated date), we should have a better idea of our budget for next year, and will be able to release additional awards at that time.

I guess this is my shocker for the cycle. After all the awards I got, I thought Toledo would try a little harder for me! I guess I'll withdraw sooner rather than later, I don't think I'll be getting anything worth helping me bargain at other schools.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:04 pm

could you pm me your #s solarae?

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:16 pm

gothamm wrote:could you pm me your #s solarae?
solarae wrote: what! wow! I am 3.15 & 157. What were yours? Three days.. that has to be a record.
Solarae - give it some time. No reason to throw in the towel just because a school is trying to figure out how much money they'll have.

findlayswimmer28

New

Post by findlayswimmer28 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:49 pm

I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. I hate to say it, but 157 is not high enough to get an automatic scholarship offer. I didn't receive a scholarship offer until April and I had higher numbers. I also harassed the dean of admissions weekly until they gave me money.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:08 pm

findlayswimmer28 wrote:I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. I hate to say it, but 157 is not high enough to get an automatic scholarship offer. I didn't receive a scholarship offer until April and I had higher numbers. I also harassed the dean of admissions weekly until they gave me money.

ok, sounds good. thanks! Glad to hear harassment worked for you, I may have to try it!

WVUguy11

Bronze

Post by WVUguy11 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Findlay: Are the employment prospects as bleak as others have conveyed on this board?

findlayswimmer28

New

Post by findlayswimmer28 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:01 pm

WVUguy11 wrote:Findlay: Are the employment prospects as bleak as others have conveyed on this board?

Employment prospects are pretty crummy everywhere right now, but the market is rebounding and jobs are becoming more available. Generally speaking for most schools (excluding tier 1), I don't think expecting to have a job at graduation is realistic in this economy unless you have family connections or are at the top of your class. That being said, however, once you graduate and pass the bar, very few people seem to have difficulty finding a job. As far as summer positions go, the Toledo bar is fantastic and finding a paid summer job is relatively easy.

bradley

New

Post by bradley » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:15 pm

findlayswimmer28 wrote:
WVUguy11 wrote:Findlay: Are the employment prospects as bleak as others have conveyed on this board?

Employment prospects are pretty crummy everywhere right now, but the market is rebounding and jobs are becoming more available. Generally speaking for most schools (excluding tier 1), I don't think expecting to have a job at graduation is realistic in this economy unless you have family connections or are at the top of your class. That being said, however, once you graduate and pass the bar, very few people seem to have difficulty finding a job. As far as summer positions go, the Toledo bar is fantastic and finding a paid summer job is relatively easy.
This is just not true. It is just flat out not true. There were what, 6 or 7 paid summer jobs available in all of Toledo last summer? And half of those went to students who didn't go to Toledo. And I don't think any of them turned into full time jobs post-graduation. I'd like to hear about this booming post-bar job market you're talking about.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sarahc06

New

Post by sarahc06 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get your opinions on my stats? I've been listed as "in review" on the status checker for quite a while, and I need to submit a deposit to one of the schools that I've been accepted to within the week so I'm running out of time!

LSAT: 152
GPA: 2.66 (My freshman year of college I suffered a head injury and lost short term memory, missing about 80% of my classes... I took some time off and returned to school and currently have a 3.52 gpa for my last three years of school, and a 3.67 degree gpa... obviously I wrote an addendum explaining this.)
Very strong personal statement
Strong recommendations
Average extra-curricular involvement
Full-time employment for last three years of school, part-time employment for freshman year

I guess I am just curious what my chances are and if it's a bad thing I've been in review for so long... Do addendums really work that well?

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:59 pm

sarahc06 wrote:Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get your opinions on my stats? I've been listed as "in review" on the status checker for quite a while, and I need to submit a deposit to one of the schools that I've been accepted to within the week so I'm running out of time!

LSAT: 152
GPA: 2.66 (My freshman year of college I suffered a head injury and lost short term memory, missing about 80% of my classes... I took some time off and returned to school and currently have a 3.52 gpa for my last three years of school, and a 3.67 degree gpa... obviously I wrote an addendum explaining this.)
Very strong personal statement
Strong recommendations
Average extra-curricular involvement
Full-time employment for last three years of school, part-time employment for freshman year

I guess I am just curious what my chances are and if it's a bad thing I've been in review for so long... Do addendums really work that well?
Hey Sarah,

Not good. Your LSAT is at the 25th percentile for Toledo and your GPA is FAR below their 25th percentile.

You may get in, but if you do, you'll be paying full tuition. Take a year off and study for the LSAT. If you're able to get it into the 160's, you'll be looking at an acceptance, and historically a chance at some scholarship money. It's worth the year off.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”