Toledo 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
solarae

Toledo 2011

Postby solarae » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:52 pm

still incomplete since the 30th, so I sent an email today.

legal_eagle

Re: Toledo 2011

Postby legal_eagle » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:08 pm

i applied on Jan 2nd and i got accepted on Jan 5th i wonder what the why the long wait. What are your numbers?

solarae

Postby solarae » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:19 pm

what! wow! I am 3.15 & 157. What were yours? Three days.. that has to be a record.

I think there is something up since it says my file is incomplete. Unless they just sort of got bombarded with Dec LSAT taker applications, such as myself. I sent an email last week , and left a voicemail today.

legal_eagle

Postby legal_eagle » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:47 pm

3.28 / 153 maybe your missing something from your file like your resume, letters of recommendation, personal statement or something like that?

mar32310

Postby mar32310 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:39 pm

I have been under review since 12/17. Assumed they were just taking a long time..we'll see I guess.

WVUguy11

Postby WVUguy11 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:01 pm

I applied thursday evening. Looking for a confirm. email sometime in the next couple days. Congrats and good luck to all. Does anyone know much about the school itself?

solarae

Postby solarae » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:14 am

I've been doing a bunch of reading since I don't know what to do. I'm really on the fence since I could re-take the LSAT and have a chance to attend so many of my dream schools (for location) such as Richmond or Pittsburgh. I'm sure I'll get into Toledo but I was trying to decide how much $ it would take from them to persuade me to attend.

I visited them a few months ago and loved their facilities. I visited many schools in Ohio and a few in PA, but Toledo had the best classrooms. They have the neat boards where the profs take notes and you can simultaneously download them to your laptop. Plenty of outlet plugs, stuff like that. The law building itself is fairly small and doesn't have food there, so you have to venture out to undergraduate land to get food. Also the "lounge" area is sort of awkwardly in the middle of everything. Don't appear to have individual study rooms which I was sad about.

Toledo appeared to be one of the crappiest towns I've ever seen aside from Akron. I didn't even apply to Akron after visiting and seeing how freaking gross it is. In Toledo, so many buildings are boarded up and people just seem to be walking the streets aimlessley. I was sorta uncomfortable. There appear to be random nice streets that would trick you into thinking youre somewhere else, but for me there is no balance. You don't get any city perks (stuff to do), and you don't get any rural perks (nice scenery, outside activities). Still, something made me feel semi-comfortable there.

solarae

Postby solarae » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:35 am

By the way I just called and the reason my application was 'incomplete' was since they were waiting for the Dec lsat, they just sort of threw it to the side and hadn't looked at it yet to see if my score had come in (which it did 10 days ago). So, she changed it.

WVUguy11

Postby WVUguy11 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:54 pm

I got my confirmation email this morning and checked my status and i am under review so hopefully that is a good sign.

WVUguy11

Postby WVUguy11 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:21 pm

By the way... How generous is UT with scholly monies. I have 3.2 and 158..... any chance for money if accepted?

legal_eagle

Postby legal_eagle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:27 pm

WVUguy11 wrote:By the way... How generous is UT with scholly monies. I have 3.2 and 158..... any chance for money if accepted?

I heard they are very generous with scholarships. I also heard their curve is kinda steep. Here is the law school aba data if you wanna have a look for yourself.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/S ... BA1845.pdf

findlayswimmer28

Postby findlayswimmer28 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:41 pm

Unless you are a minority student, the scholarship offers usually start at 158-159 and require maintaining a GPA of 3.3. The curve is steeper here than some other schools (around 2.75-2.9), however, a 3.3 is approximately top 25%, which is pretty comparable to scholarship requirements at other schools. Minority scholarships require maintaining a 2.5.

findlayswimmer28

Postby findlayswimmer28 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:46 pm

solarae wrote:I've been doing a bunch of reading since I don't know what to do. I'm really on the fence since I could re-take the LSAT and have a chance to attend so many of my dream schools (for location) such as Richmond or Pittsburgh. I'm sure I'll get into Toledo but I was trying to decide how much $ it would take from them to persuade me to attend.

I visited them a few months ago and loved their facilities. I visited many schools in Ohio and a few in PA, but Toledo had the best classrooms. They have the neat boards where the profs take notes and you can simultaneously download them to your laptop. Plenty of outlet plugs, stuff like that. The law building itself is fairly small and doesn't have food there, so you have to venture out to undergraduate land to get food. Also the "lounge" area is sort of awkwardly in the middle of everything. Don't appear to have individual study rooms which I was sad about.

Toledo appeared to be one of the crappiest towns I've ever seen aside from Akron. I didn't even apply to Akron after visiting and seeing how freaking gross it is. In Toledo, so many buildings are boarded up and people just seem to be walking the streets aimlessley. I was sorta uncomfortable. There appear to be random nice streets that would trick you into thinking youre somewhere else, but for me there is no balance. You don't get any city perks (stuff to do), and you don't get any rural perks (nice scenery, outside activities). Still, something made me feel semi-comfortable there.

The library has private study rooms. Also, you can't really judge Toledo based on the drive from the highway. You literally drive through the absolute worst part of town. Majority of Toledo is actually quite nice, especially the surrounding areas of Holland, Maumee, Perrysburg, Ottawa Hills, and Sylvania. Depending upon the activities you are interested in, Toledo can have a lot to offer. Seriously though, are you going to law school to "play" or are you going to get a legal education? Frankly, if you are a dedicated student, you won't have much time to enjoy the area anyways.

findlayswimmer28

Postby findlayswimmer28 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:49 pm

WVUguy11 wrote:I applied thursday evening. Looking for a confirm. email sometime in the next couple days. Congrats and good luck to all. Does anyone know much about the school itself?

I am a current 2L and would be happy to give you an unbiased view of the school and the area. Please feel free to PM any questions you might have.

solarae

Postby solarae » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:37 pm

findlayswimmer28 wrote:
The library has private study rooms. Also, you can't really judge Toledo based on the drive from the highway. You literally drive through the absolute worst part of town. Majority of Toledo is actually quite nice, especially the surrounding areas of Holland, Maumee, Perrysburg, Ottawa Hills, and Sylvania. Depending upon the activities you are interested in, Toledo can have a lot to offer. Seriously though, are you going to law school to "play" or are you going to get a legal education? Frankly, if you are a dedicated student, you won't have much time to enjoy the area anyways.

I don't believe my post implied that I was going to law school "to play" but there is something to be said for working your ass off all week and then looking out your window at a dirty, boring city all weekend. It's good to get out be a little active, which actually helps with stress and memory retention as well.

And, I actually spent the entire afternoon driving around the town, but I will definitely check out those areas next time I'm there now that I have names to google. thanks!

bradley

Postby bradley » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:28 pm

solarae wrote:I've been doing a bunch of reading since I don't know what to do. I'm really on the fence since I could re-take the LSAT and have a chance to attend so many of my dream schools (for location) such as Richmond or Pittsburgh. I'm sure I'll get into Toledo but I was trying to decide how much $ it would take from them to persuade me to attend.

Instead of looking at factors like chalkboards, outlets, and access to food, I would suggest you look at factors like employment prospects and student morale. Talk to the students there. I know many and they are all miserable. Very few have jobs lined up. Think long and hard before you go to any law school not in the top 14. Honestly.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:39 pm

findlayswimmer28 wrote:The curve is steeper here than some other schools (around 2.75-2.9), however, a 3.3 is approximately top 25%, which is pretty comparable to scholarship requirements at other schools.

Um, no.

solarae

Postby solarae » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:15 am

bradley wrote:
Instead of looking at factors like chalkboards, outlets, and access to food, I would suggest you look at factors like employment prospects and student morale. Talk to the students there. I know many and they are all miserable. Very few have jobs lined up. Think long and hard before you go to any law school not in the top 14. Honestly.

Ahh yess, of course. well i just didn't post about it, i was more writing about 'quality of life' factors. for people who want to stay in Ohio and get a low priced legal degree, I heard it wasn't bad. for me personally, it makes sense for a few reasons. That's interesting to hear about your friends. Could you tell someone to start a thread over here? It might be nice for me and others..

viewforum.php?f=4

bradley

Postby bradley » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:52 pm

I suggest you visit, walk the halls, and talk to students. You could try to call admissions and let them hook you up with someone to talk to but they'll probably make that person say all good stuff. And only talk to 2L's and 3L's who've been through the ringer of trying to get a job. There's so few people with jobs (I believe even the Editor-in-Chief of Law Review is still looking) so whoever told you "it isn't bad" is wrong.

solarae wrote:
bradley wrote:

Ahh yess, of course. well i just didn't post about it, i was more writing about 'quality of life' factors. for people who want to stay in Ohio and get a low priced legal degree, I heard it wasn't bad. for me personally, it makes sense for a few reasons. That's interesting to hear about your friends. Could you tell someone to start a thread over here? It might be nice for me and others..

viewforum.php?f=4

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:58 pm

complete on 1/10, accepted on 1/18, scholly via snail mail on 1/22. Props to Toledo for the super-quick processing.

Thread tagged.

WVUguy11

Postby WVUguy11 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:22 pm

Still in review. Looking for an answer soon.

bradley

Postby bradley » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:40 pm

Nice to see you all heeding my advice. I repeat, DON'T DO IT.

mar32310

Postby mar32310 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:03 pm

Still under review since 12/17. Anyone else?

Joe Crownpoint

Postby Joe Crownpoint » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:24 pm

In at Toledo as of 2/3/11.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:05 pm

got my acceptance letter in the mail today. came in a large white envelope. I was surprised that there was no scholly offer for me (162/3.16). Is this something they include in the acceptance package, or do they mail it out in a separate envelope?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”