I got accepted by ACCIDENT =/ Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Capitol A

Silver

Re: I got accepted by ACCIDENT =/

Post by Capitol A » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:19 pm

Gotti wrote:
Capitol A wrote:I just read my wife the story about OPs mom, and she started crying. I hate it when girls cry, but this is the saddest thing I've heard in a long time.

she started crying for someone on the internet's mom she doesn't know?
Yes. Emotional. Combination of pms and the fact that she knows how excited I have been to get acceptances, and how devastated I would be to have the rug yanked out from under me.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:21 pm

artichoke wrote:I think it was UC - SD that did this to like several hundred UG applicants a few years ago...
They mistakenly sent out acceptance emails to almost 29,000 rejected students.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local-b ... html?yhp=1

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:21 pm

naterj wrote:
1evilo.aihpos wrote:
naterj wrote:If it was my top choice I would probs just show up the first day of classes acting like I never received the follow-up rejection email. If they tried to deny me admission I would make it clear to them that I planned on notifying the press. I'm guessing at that point they would rather just avoid the fiasco and allow me admission than deal with the bad publicity.

I'm not saying anyone should try this... but you should.
I dont know who would laugh harder, the press you notify or the school.
Look, I'm not saying my plan is 100% infallible... but it is.

Say you went into a classroom the first day and just took a seat. The professor might question who you are and notify you that you're not registered for the class. Fine, you're sent to the admissions office to verify your enrollment. They would probably try to claim that you haven't even registered for classes or whatever. Well, BAM! you hand them the official email that you printed off and demand the acceptance and legal education that was promised to you. Law schools are full of lawyers who know contract law and all that so they would have to let you in. If you could get someone like the dean to sign the print out of the email you would be golden, just don't tell him what he's signing (ask him for an autograph or whatever I dunno).

Only if they want to press the issue would you even have to alert the media. My guess is that the situation would not escalate to that point.
Except there are seating deposits due before school starts. When you start submitting deposits even though you're not even accepted, they're going to notify you.

Also, this happened to me at Valpraiso, even though I didn't apply. I got accepted, then a couple days later had the offer rescinded.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:23 pm

if you want to handle it like an adult, go down to the admissions office, slam them with cryo-juice from Demolition Man, wait til they freeze like Simon Phoenix and then kick their heads off. I'm not saying that it will definitely work but it should.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:29 pm

kwais wrote:if you want to handle it like an adult, go down to the admissions office, slam them with cryo-juice from Demolition Man, wait til they freeze like Simon Phoenix and then kick their heads off. I'm not saying that it will definitely work but it should.
LOL

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:44 pm

Capitol A wrote:I just read my wife the story about OPs mom, and she started crying. I hate it when girls cry, but this is the saddest thing I've heard in a long time.
I literally laughed out loud when I read this; but yea, it is sad and does suck big time.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:46 pm

Yeah sorry to everyone who was disappointed, I hope you all receive actual acceptances in the near future. Good luck.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:50 pm

naterj wrote:
1evilo.aihpos wrote:
naterj wrote:If it was my top choice I would probs just show up the first day of classes acting like I never received the follow-up rejection email. If they tried to deny me admission I would make it clear to them that I planned on notifying the press. I'm guessing at that point they would rather just avoid the fiasco and allow me admission than deal with the bad publicity.

I'm not saying anyone should try this... but you should.
I dont know who would laugh harder, the press you notify or the school.
Look, I'm not saying my plan is 100% infallible... but it is.

Say you went into a classroom the first day and just took a seat. The professor might question who you are and notify you that you're not registered for the class. Fine, you're sent to the admissions office to verify your enrollment. They would probably try to claim that you haven't even registered for classes or whatever. Well, BAM! you hand them the official email that you printed off and demand the acceptance and legal education that was promised to you. Law schools are full of lawyers who know contract law and all that so they would have to let you in. If you could get someone like the dean to sign the print out of the email you would be golden, just don't tell him what he's signing (ask him for an autograph or whatever I dunno).

Only if they want to press the issue would you even have to alert the media. My guess is that the situation would not escalate to that point.
But seat deposit wasn't paid... dead issue?

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:58 pm

Now I'm not going to trust any acceptance e-mails. Ugghh

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:06 pm

JaLeCa wrote:Now I'm not going to trust any acceptance e-mails. Ugghh
I'm always wary of my acceptances being a mistake until I get some sort of follow up confirmation like a paper letter or an email about ASW. All I've gotten from George Mason is a voicemail, and I know I'll be uneasy about that acceptance until I get back to school and get my mail and (hopefully) have the official letter.

The thing is, that Richmond email got me good because yesterday one of the posters in the Richmond 2014 thread and I both got USPS packages. Mine was delivered to school so all I know is the date it was delivered, but said poster knew that their package was definitely from Richmond. So I had kind of gotten my hopes up that mine was too, and I thought the email confirmed it. Such a let-down.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:09 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
Bless wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:proof..
Proof? LOL.

I've got better things to do than make up a silly story like that.
would take maybe 3 seconds tops to screenshot an email.. just sayin
better question is why should he even bother taking a screenshot, editing out personal info, and posting it for us? i dont see why we shouldnt/couldnt take his post as true, given the claim

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:13 pm

kjadkins wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:Now I'm not going to trust any acceptance e-mails. Ugghh
I'm always wary of my acceptances being a mistake until I get some sort of follow up confirmation like a paper letter or an email about ASW. All I've gotten from George Mason is a voicemail, and I know I'll be uneasy about that acceptance until I get back to school and get my mail and (hopefully) have the official letter.

The thing is, that Richmond email got me good because yesterday one of the posters in the Richmond 2014 thread and I both got USPS packages. Mine was delivered to school so all I know is the date it was delivered, but said poster knew that their package was definitely from Richmond. So I had kind of gotten my hopes up that mine was too, and I thought the email confirmed it. Such a let-down.
GAHH just got another package notification. This waiting is going to kill me.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:14 pm

"Congratulations on your acceptance to our WONDERFUL law school."

Wow, no better way to show your insecurity than with superfluous adjectives that have no tangible meaning.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

boozehound

Bronze

Post by boozehound » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:24 pm

I think I got rejected by accident. I'll call Harvard to let them know there's a problem with their email.

Kinderby

Bronze

Post by Kinderby » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:25 pm

Bwaha. Good plan, I'm sure they want to know when they're in error! :)

deja

Bronze

Post by deja » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:02 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:"Congratulations on your acceptance to our WONDERFUL law school."

Wow, no better way to show your insecurity than with superfluous adjectives that have no tangible meaning.
That was actually my favorite part about the whole thing.

E: She calls it a WONDERFUL law school not once, but TWICE.

Teflon1974

New

Post by Teflon1974 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:24 pm

boozehound wrote:I think I got rejected by accident. I'll call Harvard to let them know there's a problem with their email.
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm

deja wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:"Congratulations on your acceptance to our WONDERFUL law school."

Wow, that is IMPRESSIVELY UNIMPRESSIVE. I thought you were supposed to try to make people want to come to your school over other schools with your acceptance letter, not make them second guess wanting to go?

bsm909

Bronze

Post by bsm909 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:58 pm

Wow- that is awful. I'm sorry to everyone who had that happen! It helps me handle the no news waiting better :)

On the theme of let down "acceptances"- yesterday I was doing my daily status checking, and I'm not sure if anyone else has this issue on their computer, but when I have multiple tabs going (as I just do a nice line of the different links and go down the row), if I accidentally log into a new school without exiting out of the status checker of another school, then it brings up the school that I had open first. Well, I logged into what I thought was the status checker of my top choice and I had apparently forgotten to close the tab for one I already got accepted to- so I saw my status as "Admitted- Congratulations!" and I about had a heart attack. Thankfully I noticed quickly...though I thought that sucked until I read this.

kmr07d

New

Post by kmr07d » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:07 pm

NZA wrote:
Bless wrote:Anyone have an experience like this?

Univ. of Richmond sent me an e-mail congratulating me on my acceptance to their school and suggesting that I come take a look at the campus. Ten minutes later, I received an e-mail stating the following: "The email you received was sent out in error. We deeply regret the inconvenience. Our sincerest apologies."

LOL. I knew something was fishy. I applied to Richmond less than a week ago, and my numbers are right at the median. People make mistakes but Lord have mercy... I had told my parents and everything :shock:
:(

I pity you. That would suck. But at least you had only applied a mere week ago. I would feel way worse for you if you had submitted in October or something.

Same happened to me and I applied 11/1 :( sooooo sad.

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:24 pm

Bless wrote:Anyone have an experience like this?

Univ. of Richmond sent me an e-mail congratulating me on my acceptance to their school and suggesting that I come take a look at the campus. Ten minutes later, I received an e-mail stating the following: "The email you received was sent out in error. We deeply regret the inconvenience. Our sincerest apologies."

LOL. I knew something was fishy. I applied to Richmond less than a week ago, and my numbers are right at the median. People make mistakes but Lord have mercy... I had told my parents and everything :shock:
HOLY SHIT I GOT THE SAME EMAIL THIS MORNING. Wtf? It would have been better if the second email said "lol jk" in it. I'm kinda pissed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

softsgalore

New

Post by softsgalore » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
deja wrote:

Wow, that is IMPRESSIVELY UNIMPRESSIVE. I thought you were supposed to try to make people want to come to your school over other schools with your acceptance letter, not make them second guess wanting to go?
I thought the same thing. It's sort of like seeing a guy with a huge truck and giant tires. If you had what you're trying to express so hard, you wouldn't need to try so hard.

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:56 pm

Capitol A wrote:
Gotti wrote:

she started crying for someone on the internet's mom she doesn't know?
Yes. Emotional. Combination of pms and the fact that she knows how excited I have been to get acceptances, and how devastated I would be to have the rug yanked out from under me.
LMAO.

Wasted tears by your wife! Sorry to have upset her. My Mom didn't even come close to crying. She didn't act upset, but I could tell by the look on her face that she felt really disappointed (she was REALLY excited that I "got in"). I could also tell she felt really sorry for me. I'm overly insensitive, so there was no need for any of that...but I guess that's what Moms do. Didn't really faze me a bit.

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:05 pm

Earlier today, you received an email that appeared to offer admission to Richmond Law, followed immediately by a retraction expressing our regret for the error. The email was inadvertently sent to those for whom no decision had been reached. It was actually intended for those who had already received an affirmative decision from us, as a request for additional information. Unfortunately, the email was paired with an incorrect recipient list, and the result was a devastating miscommunication for all.

We are so distressed that we let you down by falsely raising your expectations. We fully appreciate that your excitement followed by disappointment has marred this day for you and for us. We pride ourselves on our personal approach with you and our care with your application to our law school, and today, regrettably, we disappointed you.

Rest assured that this misdirected email has no bearing on your application file. No decision has yet been rendered on your file, and in fact the bulk of our decisions are released around mid-March.

We offer our sincerest apologies, and hope that you will contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

glad they are distressed, seriously!

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:07 pm

Wow.. I thought it was just to everyone, but they switched the admits list with the "no decision yet" list? Rough.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”