Held at Harvard Law 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
arkansawyer
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby arkansawyer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:08 pm

cassidylane wrote:I'm out as well! Good luck to all those who remain :)


Sry to hear that :cry: best of luck to you!

hoping
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby hoping » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:12 pm

bloodbath over for the day?! can we stop refreshing our inboxes??

REBeLlion
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:44 am

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby REBeLlion » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:34 pm

hoping wrote:bloodbath over for the day?! can we stop refreshing our inboxes??


Please God...Let it be so. My chest kinda hurts and my heart jumps every time I hear my phone vibrate. Sitting in class right now...and I don't have any inkling of what we've been talking about for the last 20 min. (though that might just be the ADHD :wink: )

User avatar
cucullu
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:03 am

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby cucullu » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:26 pm

Sicsofs wrote:Ladies and gentleman, i have been honored to be in company of such determined students. I held on a lot longer than i ever thought i would but you can't win them all. I hope you all fair better than I did. Godspeed and good luck.

+1 Noble exit.

User avatar
bluejax21
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:26 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby bluejax21 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:23 am

Out of contention... Email received today at 1PM PST. UR 1/27, Held 3/18.

pulandasu
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby pulandasu » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:03 am

bluejax21 wrote:Out of contention... Email received today at 1PM PST. UR 1/27, Held 3/18.


I got it too - btw, your tar is hilarious.

User avatar
er doctor
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:35 am

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby er doctor » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:40 pm

I have a little conundrum here. After being held by Harvard back in January I decided to attend another school. Yesterday I sent an email to Harvard to withdraw and I got an email back telling me that all withdrawals mush be in writing.

To be honest I'm feeling very passive-aggressive about this. I no longer intend to attend Harvard if I get in, and J don't feel like wasting the time and the stamp to send them a letter stating exactly what I told them in the email.

Should I just man up and write the damned letter or should I just let the cycle expire and wait for JR to ding me?

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby arism87 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:45 pm

er doctor wrote:I have a little conundrum here. After being held by Harvard back in January I decided to attend another school. Yesterday I sent an email to Harvard to withdraw and I got an email back telling me that all withdrawals mush be in writing.

To be honest I'm feeling very passive-aggressive about this. I no longer intend to attend Harvard if I get in, and J don't feel like wasting the time and the stamp to send them a letter stating exactly what I told them in the email.

Should I just man up and write the damned letter or should I just let the cycle expire and wait for JR to ding me?


Same here, I'm just gonna let them do their thing. Snail mail is obnoxious. I'm surprised they didn't immediately ding me after receiving that email, though

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby law_monkey » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:45 pm

er doctor wrote:I have a little conundrum here. After being held by Harvard back in January I decided to attend another school. Yesterday I sent an email to Harvard to withdraw and I got an email back telling me that all withdrawals mush be in writing.

To be honest I'm feeling very passive-aggressive about this. I no longer intend to attend Harvard if I get in, and J don't feel like wasting the time and the stamp to send them a letter stating exactly what I told them in the email.

Should I just man up and write the damned letter or should I just let the cycle expire and wait for JR to ding me?

Honestly more than anything you need to watch out for your other school's commitment rules. Some schools say you only have to withdraw from schools where you have offers, some say admits and you can't stay on waitlists, and some want you to pull all your applications anywhere. So make sure you follow the rules of wherever you're depositing so you don't get in trouble down the line for having an active HLS app when you're not supposed to.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:54 pm

law_monkey wrote:
er doctor wrote:I have a little conundrum here. After being held by Harvard back in January I decided to attend another school. Yesterday I sent an email to Harvard to withdraw and I got an email back telling me that all withdrawals mush be in writing.

To be honest I'm feeling very passive-aggressive about this. I no longer intend to attend Harvard if I get in, and J don't feel like wasting the time and the stamp to send them a letter stating exactly what I told them in the email.

Should I just man up and write the damned letter or should I just let the cycle expire and wait for JR to ding me?

Honestly more than anything you need to watch out for your other school's commitment rules. Some schools say you only have to withdraw from schools where you have offers, some say admits and you can't stay on waitlists, and some want you to pull all your applications anywhere. So make sure you follow the rules of wherever you're depositing so you don't get in trouble down the line for having an active HLS app when you're not supposed to.


Especially scholarship recipients who may be entering into a binding contract.

neonx
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby neonx » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:02 pm

The thought of this agony possibly extending for many more months makes me so sad.

REBeLlion
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:44 am

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby REBeLlion » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:30 pm

So...are we expecting any movement tomorrow (rest of this week)? thought :?:

User avatar
mcweanis
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby mcweanis » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:02 am

REBeLlion wrote:So...are we expecting any movement tomorrow (rest of this week)? thought :?:


im expecting continuous dings of held applicants for the next week, then they start waitlisting those remaining.

User avatar
er doctor
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:35 am

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby er doctor » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:05 am

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
er doctor wrote:I have a little conundrum here. After being held by Harvard back in January I decided to attend another school. Yesterday I sent an email to Harvard to withdraw and I got an email back telling me that all withdrawals mush be in writing.

To be honest I'm feeling very passive-aggressive about this. I no longer intend to attend Harvard if I get in, and J don't feel like wasting the time and the stamp to send them a letter stating exactly what I told them in the email.

Should I just man up and write the damned letter or should I just let the cycle expire and wait for JR to ding me?

Honestly more than anything you need to watch out for your other school's commitment rules. Some schools say you only have to withdraw from schools where you have offers, some say admits and you can't stay on waitlists, and some want you to pull all your applications anywhere. So make sure you follow the rules of wherever you're depositing so you don't get in trouble down the line for having an active HLS app when you're not supposed to.


Especially scholarship recipients who may be entering into a binding contract.


Damn you R6 for being the voice of reason! (Why did you have to go and withdraw from Michigan?)

User avatar
jtemp320
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby jtemp320 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:31 am

The Law School Admission Council publishes a Statement of Good Admission and Financial Aid Practices, by which all member schools agree to abide. If you read the Statement carefully, you will see that item number 6 under "Application Procedures" states the following:

After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a committment [sic] has been made to another school. To provide applicants with an uncoerced choice among various law schools, no excessive nonrefundable deposit should be required solely to maintain a place in the class. (Emphasis added.)

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... power.aspx

You can deposit elsewhere and wait it out until you get a decision (waitlists and held are technically not a final decision) from H. The only thing a school can prohibit is deposits at multiple schools at the same time - most schools dont even do that (CLS is the one example I saw). I think for sanity and in fairness to other applicants it is best to make one deposit but there is nothing wrong with remaining on waitlists. Everyone who is on a waitlist will have deposited elsewhere and is also allowed to change their mind if they get in - thats the whole point of waitlists.

Not 100% on scholarship contracts but I'd guess they follow the same principle?

User avatar
hellome
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby hellome » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:35 am

jtemp320 wrote:The Law School Admission Council publishes a Statement of Good Admission and Financial Aid Practices, by which all member schools agree to abide. If you read the Statement carefully, you will see that item number 6 under "Application Procedures" states the following:

After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a committment [sic] has been made to another school. To provide applicants with an uncoerced choice among various law schools, no excessive nonrefundable deposit should be required solely to maintain a place in the class. (Emphasis added.)

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... power.aspx

You can deposit elsewhere and wait it out until you get a decision (waitlists and held are technically not a final decision) from H. The only thing a school can prohibit is deposits at multiple schools at the same time - most schools dont even do that (CLS is the one example I saw). I think for sanity and in fairness to other applicants it is best to make one deposit but there is nothing wrong with remaining on waitlists. Everyone who is on a waitlist will have deposited elsewhere and is also allowed to change their mind if they get in - thats the whole point of waitlists.

Not 100% on scholarship contracts but I'd guess they follow the same principle?


Yeah, I'm not 100% on whether this applies to scholarship contracts. It would be awful if it didn't...
Any ideas?

boushi
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:06 am

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby boushi » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:07 am

hellome wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:The Law School Admission Council publishes a Statement of Good Admission and Financial Aid Practices, by which all member schools agree to abide. If you read the Statement carefully, you will see that item number 6 under "Application Procedures" states the following:

After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a committment [sic] has been made to another school. To provide applicants with an uncoerced choice among various law schools, no excessive nonrefundable deposit should be required solely to maintain a place in the class. (Emphasis added.)

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... power.aspx

You can deposit elsewhere and wait it out until you get a decision (waitlists and held are technically not a final decision) from H. The only thing a school can prohibit is deposits at multiple schools at the same time - most schools dont even do that (CLS is the one example I saw). I think for sanity and in fairness to other applicants it is best to make one deposit but there is nothing wrong with remaining on waitlists. Everyone who is on a waitlist will have deposited elsewhere and is also allowed to change their mind if they get in - thats the whole point of waitlists.

Not 100% on scholarship contracts but I'd guess they follow the same principle?


Yeah, I'm not 100% on whether this applies to scholarship contracts. It would be awful if it didn't...
Any ideas?


It seems to differ by school. Carefully read the fine text on your deposit agreements before submitting. For example, the Chicago scholarship acceptance agreement seems to require you withdraw from schools you have not heard from, i.e., Harvard for those currently held, though you can stay on wait lists at other schools:

[EDIT: I got clarification from Chicago that they consider being held to be a wait list, so disregard this particular warning, but still be careful in general...]

Commitment Response Form (Regular Decision)
If you wish to reserve a seat in the University of Chicago Law School Class of 2014, you must submit the Commitment Response Form below. Places in the Class of 2014 will be reserved for all candidates who indicate they wish to reserve a seat and submit a $500 seat deposit. Whether you will be attending the Law School or not, please submit the Commitment Response Form as soon as you have finalized your law school plans. Your cooperation will assist the University of Chicago Law School, as well as other law schools, in determining how many offers of admission to extend and will ensure that candidates with pending applications receive decisions as early as possible. The Law School has a policy that applicants should have, at any time, only one deposit or letter of intent to enroll at a law school unless there are extenuating circumstances that prevent the applicant from making a decision among outstanding offers of admission. When you reserve a seat in the Class of 2014, we request that you withdraw any deposits or commitments to attend any other law school and withdraw any outstanding applications for which you have not received a decision. You are not required to remove your name from waitlists at other law schools. Please do not check this option unless you are fully committed to attending the University of Chicago Law School at this time. [Emphasis added]
Last edited by boushi on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
calvmpv
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby calvmpv » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:57 am

7ED wrote:This thread feels like a morgue.


Haha, very true.

And all of the goodbye posts in this thread sound like presidential candidates conceding an election. Like one of the posters mentioned above, very honorable stuff around here.

At least some of us have been put out of our waiting game misery. I just hope HLS spares me a ding on my birthday...hopefully it can wait till tomorrow and today will be quiet...(but I hope the rest of you get some positive news)!

User avatar
cucullu
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:03 am

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby cucullu » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:11 am

calvmpv wrote:
7ED wrote:This thread feels like a morgue.


Haha, very true.

And all of the goodbye posts in this thread sound like presidential candidates conceding an election. Like one of the posters mentioned above, very honorable stuff around here.

At least some of us have been put out of our waiting game misery. I just hope HLS spares me a ding on my birthday...hopefully it can wait till tomorrow and today will be quiet...(but I hope the rest of you get some positive news)!

Happy Birthday!

LOL at comparing posters to candidates. I love it. Am I the only one who cried when Hillary stepped down in '08? (And I voted for Obama in the primary, I'm just sayin'. <3 Hil!)

/hecka off topic

But anyway, I concur with the prediction above: lots of hold dings, then lots of hold waitlists comin up

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby arism87 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:37 am

calvmpv wrote:
7ED wrote:This thread feels like a morgue.


Haha, very true.

And all of the goodbye posts in this thread sound like presidential candidates conceding an election. Like one of the posters mentioned above, very honorable stuff around here.

At least some of us have been put out of our waiting game misery. I just hope HLS spares me a ding on my birthday...hopefully it can wait till tomorrow and today will be quiet...(but I hope the rest of you get some positive news)!


If I weren't below both medians, I'd be crafting a very DIShonorable farewell speech... but as it is, that seems silly, lol :lol:

champsound
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 am

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby champsound » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:12 am

cucullu wrote:
calvmpv wrote:
7ED wrote:This thread feels like a morgue.


Haha, very true.

And all of the goodbye posts in this thread sound like presidential candidates conceding an election. Like one of the posters mentioned above, very honorable stuff around here.

At least some of us have been put out of our waiting game misery. I just hope HLS spares me a ding on my birthday...hopefully it can wait till tomorrow and today will be quiet...(but I hope the rest of you get some positive news)!

Happy Birthday!

LOL at comparing posters to candidates. I love it. Am I the only one who cried when Hillary stepped down in '08? (And I voted for Obama in the primary, I'm just sayin'. <3 Hil!)

/hecka off topic

But anyway, I concur with the prediction above: lots of hold dings, then lots of hold waitlists comin up

I haven't heard anyone say hecka or hella in months... now kind of feeling regret about withdrawing from Berkeley.

Edit: Let's go Sharks!

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:14 am

jtemp320 wrote:The Law School Admission Council publishes a Statement of Good Admission and Financial Aid Practices, by which all member schools agree to abide. If you read the Statement carefully, you will see that item number 6 under "Application Procedures" states the following:

After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a committment [sic] has been made to another school. To provide applicants with an uncoerced choice among various law schools, no excessive nonrefundable deposit should be required solely to maintain a place in the class. (Emphasis added.)

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... power.aspx

You can deposit elsewhere and wait it out until you get a decision (waitlists and held are technically not a final decision) from H. The only thing a school can prohibit is deposits at multiple schools at the same time - most schools dont even do that (CLS is the one example I saw). I think for sanity and in fairness to other applicants it is best to make one deposit but there is nothing wrong with remaining on waitlists. Everyone who is on a waitlist will have deposited elsewhere and is also allowed to change their mind if they get in - thats the whole point of waitlists.

Not 100% on scholarship contracts but I'd guess they follow the same principle?


Honestly, LSAC clearly does not enforce this. Schools have and will continue to enforce harsh deadlines on applicants. I'm not sure what Dean Asha's angle is on this, but I would treat the school's contract as binding, not some Statement from LSAC.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:43 am

I posted in a few threads on this. Dean Z at Michigan addressed this earlier in the cycle.

I have also asked several schools about this. Answers are about the same. Scholarships contracts are usually binding contracts. Dean's scholarships usually don't carry these stipulations.

boushi
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:06 am

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby boushi » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:29 pm

FYI, I got clarification from Chicago that you don't have to withdraw from a "hold" in order to accept their award, despite the wording of the deposit agreement. Sorry if I caused any confusion with my earlier posting.

User avatar
camelcrema
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby camelcrema » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:32 pm

champsound wrote:
Edit: Let's go Sharks!


Sorry, couldn't help myself. +1 for this. BEAT LA :)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”