Held at Harvard Law 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WestOfTheRest

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby WestOfTheRest » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:31 pm

cassidylane wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:I love the fact that people who have never so much as stepped foot on Harvard's campus or met any of the students want to make judgments about douchiness. Like if I got into Harvard tomorrow would I magically change and become a different person? You all go into it expecting that and then see things in people that aren't there. You'd be very surprised at how normal a lot of people at Harvard are. Yet on the same forum people hype up Yale...which definitely has more people that stick their nose up. I'm not saying there are not people who "douches" but no more than any other T6 school. TLS is the home of unsubstantiated hyperbole. That's the end of my rant.

Actually no it's not. COME ON JR!

P.S. I still love you guys.

I'm from Boston and took classes at Harvard UG all through HS and have many friends there. Not saying they're all douches by any means, but don't assume that I don't have some background knowledge.

Changing subject: Realistically, does any one get in from being held? Or is this a hope for the WL type situation?

Lot's of people who have been held this cycle have already been let in. If you are held at this stage however, more likely than not, you are SOL.

cassidylane

Postby cassidylane » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:32 pm

CastleRock wrote:
cassidylane wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:I love the fact that people who have never so much as stepped foot on Harvard's campus or met any of the students want to make judgments about douchiness. Like if I got into Harvard tomorrow would I magically change and become a different person? You all go into it expecting that and then see things in people that aren't there. You'd be very surprised at how normal a lot of people at Harvard are. Yet on the same forum people hype up Yale...which definitely has more people that stick their nose up. I'm not saying there are not people who "douches" but no more than any other T6 school. TLS is the home of unsubstantiated hyperbole. That's the end of my rant.

I'm from Boston and took classes at Harvard UG all through HS and have many friends there. Not saying they're all douches by any means, but don't assume that I don't have some background knowledge.

Changing subject: Realistically, does any one get in from being held? Or is this a hope for the WL type situation?

Lot's of people who have been held this cycle have already been let in. If you are held at this stage however, more likely than not, you are SOL.

Fair enough, that was more or less my assumption. I had considered myself auto-reject anyways, applied before a surprising tanking of one logic game :/

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:38 pm

cassidylane wrote:

Except....no one was talking to you directly. In fact you weren't even the screen name that inspired my post. It's the overall TLS impression...I mean it's even in the Harvard description on here, But thanks for your input...you actually agreed with me. With that said I also have friends that transferred from Harvard UG to Brown because they didn't like it, but to assume that the character of the law school and UG are the same is incorrect. Everyone who has ever made me want to be a lawyer that I know personally...went to Harvard. I've met lots of their friends and fellow classmates and none of them fit that TLS label or perception. The few that did were no different than the people I've bumped into from Yale and other law schools while I was interning in DC. My point is that it gets an unfair rap...the only thing I can agree with as far as TLS labels go is that people at Michigan Law tend to be a little more chill (those in the 21-27) range anyway...I know no one older than that.

I have no vested interest in defending HLS, it's just a lot of TLS suppositions irk me at times (as helpful as this site can be and has been).

cassidylane

Postby cassidylane » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:48 pm

All I meant was perhaps its also a large assumption to assume that no one had ever set foot on the campus :). I get what you mean though, TLS certainly has its drawbacks.

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:23 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Except....no one was talking to you directly. In fact you weren't even the screen name that inspired my post. It's the overall TLS impression...I mean it's even in the Harvard description on here, But thanks for your input...you actually agreed with me. With that said I also have friends that transferred from Harvard UG to Brown because they didn't like it, but to assume that the character of the law school and UG are the same is incorrect. Everyone who has ever made me want to be a lawyer that I know personally...went to Harvard. I've met lots of their friends and fellow classmates and none of them fit that TLS label or perception. The few that did were no different than the people I've bumped into from Yale and other law schools while I was interning in DC. My point is that it gets an unfair rap...the only thing I can agree with as far as TLS labels go is that people at Michigan Law tend to be a little more chill (those in the 21-27) range anyway...I know no one older than that.

I have no vested interest in defending HLS, it's just a lot of TLS suppositions irk me at times (as helpful as this site can be and has been).

Sorry to jump into this discussion (I am not held so I don't really belong here...) but I very much agree with this. Part of me wishes I hadn't found TLS because it is often down on Harvard and has made me question going there despite the fact that the claims people make about it are largely unsubstantiated. I met many people when I visited, and only one of them was a jerk. And he was a world weary 3L, so it doesn't matter.

Sorry again, good luck to everyone who is held! I wish you all the very best.

Sicsofs

Postby Sicsofs » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:26 pm

This waiting game has made me so unproductive. I cannot focus on anything but this hold. I have my first weekday off in ages and what am i doing? Refreshing my emails, my status checker, and the two HLS threads for Admits, WL's, and Dings. I am feeling rather pathetic.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:25 pm

Let's hear it. When does everyone think movements starts for us poor suckers who are destined for WLs and rejections?

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:55 pm

When is their next ASW? Probably that week.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:42 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:When is their next ASW? Probably that week.

ASW is next week, April 16th-18th. Hang in there, you guys! There has to be movement soon, it's been way too quiet.

mcweanis

Postby mcweanis » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:03 pm

on lsn, i count sixteen people who were admitted after this date last year (all off the waitlist). huge rejections started near the end of april.
Last edited by mcweanis on Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hope11

Postby hope11 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:15 pm

You see, when people think of Harvard they immediately envision the Winklevoss brothers, Zuckerberg and Bill Gates. These people are ALL douchebags who got to where they are by either cheating or stealing ideas from others...are they smart? yes, in an evil kind of way, I agree but so were Hitler and Fidel Castro so not a really good point. To conclude, Harvard is famous for generating massive amounts of elitist douchebags :) have a nice day

p.s: i expect to get attacked for what I jut said, possibly banned by a douchebag in charge of this thread who possibly attended Harvard and has his feelings "hurt". pitiful.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:40 pm

Dude I really hope you're my classmate next year. Hopefully JR sees how much you'd bring to Harvard. You make me like Harvard even more than I already did. Glad you counteract the "if you get into Yale you have to go" noise.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:02 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:

Dude I really hope you're my classmate next year. Hopefully JR sees how much you'd bring to Harvard. You make me like Harvard even more than I already did. Glad you counteract the "if you get into Yale you have to go" noise.

Me too! :mrgreen:

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:42 am

r6_philly wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:

I would really like you guys as classmates. Just saying.

mcweanis

Postby mcweanis » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:48 pm

just mailed my loci...

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:00 pm

r6_philly wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:

Of course you too R6. Our section would rock Harvard.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:11 pm

ebeth wrote:I would really like you guys as classmates. Just saying.

Com'on Harvard, create an extra section for us! :mrgreen:

7ED

Postby 7ED » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:45 pm

Last edited by 7ED on Sun May 04, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sicsofs

Postby Sicsofs » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:55 pm

So I am new to the admission process, can someone explain the WL process. I am held so there is still hope but if i get WL'd and decide to ride the WL, does it eventually officially turn in to a rejection if you don't make it or does it just drop off after school starts? Not that it matters either way because i will retake and ride it out, but I am just curious if at some point over the summer they close the door officially? Thanks.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:00 am

Sicsofs wrote:So I am new to the admission process, can someone explain the WL process. I am held so there is still hope but if i get WL'd and decide to ride the WL, does it eventually officially turn in to a rejection if you don't make it or does it just drop off after school starts? Not that it matters either way because i will retake and ride it out, but I am just curious if at some point over the summer they close the door officially? Thanks.

I have heard people admitted during orientation (August 26th - 29th) and I guess that is the latest possible, I further guess you either get rejected or are unable to reach your status checker once the school year actually starts (Sep 1st).

yuzu

Postby yuzu » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:11 am

Sicsofs wrote:So I am new to the admission process, can someone explain the WL process. I am held so there is still hope but if i get WL'd and decide to ride the WL, does it eventually officially turn in to a rejection if you don't make it or does it just drop off after school starts? Not that it matters either way because i will retake and ride it out, but I am just curious if at some point over the summer they close the door officially? Thanks.

When I was on the HLS waitlist, I don't think I ever got a formal rejection. In June they sent a "hold on, and let us know if you want to withdraw" email, and that was the last communication for the cycle.

Yale sent a "waitlist release" in September as a sort of final rejection, and Columbia had their three-stage reserve process. So each school handles it a bit differently.

ilovemulch

Postby ilovemulch » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:41 pm

aaaaaaaaaaaaand, I'm out. Held 1/10, no JR1, dinged via email 4:00 PM EST. Extreme reach for HLS, was shocked I wasn't dinged off the bat.

nadopretz

Postby nadopretz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:53 pm

This is a bloodbath -- sorry to all those fallen soldiers today.
My office mate just proposed that they may be going in alphabetical order- anyone dinged with a last name from the latter half of the alphabet?

Sicsofs

Postby Sicsofs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:54 pm

Ladies and gentleman, i have been honored to be in company of such determined students. I held on a lot longer than i ever thought i would but you can't win them all. I hope you all fair better than I did. Godspeed and good luck.

cassidylane

Postby cassidylane » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:06 pm

I'm out as well! Good luck to all those who remain :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”