Held at Harvard Law 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
quetzal_bird

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby quetzal_bird » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:17 pm

hey all,

trying to write a LOCI. Since I got held, I've been accepted to Phi Beta Kappa and learned that in the next few months I will be co-authoring a paper that will be published through the three letter organization I intern at. I also just finished co-authoring a written testimony and report with my boss that we sent to the Argentine courts detailing human rights abuses in the 1970s. That case goes to trial in the next few months.

If I can slap all this into a Harvard LOCI, would anyone be willing to let me PM it to them? Is any of it going to make a difference anyway?

bluejax21

Postby bluejax21 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:11 pm

bluejax21 wrote:Can anyone advise when you would have to physically show up to Harvard to begin enrollment for classes, move in, etc.? I'm currently held and will submit a LOCI which will include a piece with a deadline notification requirement. I'm currently working and would need at least 3-4 months notice to begin the process to turn in my notice to quit my job. I want to avoid a nightmare situation where by some miracle they decide to accept me in the summer but I can't accept due to not enough lead time to separate from my employment. I'm thinking I would need final adjudication by 31 May (and that would be cutting it close), but will await responses.

Just to close the loop on my own posting - From the Harvard Law webpage: August 26-29, 2011 First-Year JD Student Orientation

arkansawyer

Postby arkansawyer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:11 am

Guys, I feel like we holds need to keep the hope alive :lol:

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:34 am

arkansawyer wrote:Guys, I feel like we holds need to keep the hope alive :lol:

--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

nadopretz

Postby nadopretz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:04 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:

+1, great movie, and so true.

Sicsofs

Postby Sicsofs » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:16 pm

nadopretz wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:

Elvis, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. I will be hoping that my LOCI finds JR, and finds him well. Your friend Sicsofs.

nadopretz

Postby nadopretz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:37 pm

Sicsofs wrote:
nadopretz wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:

Elvis, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. I will be hoping that my LOCI finds JR, and finds him well. Your friend Sicsofs.

now you sound like harry potter

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:33 pm

I just scored a full and complete set of Harvard Classics "Five Foot Shelf of Knowledge" (published in 1909) for $15 at a yard sale! Methinks this a sign that Harvard is going to act on our applications soon. :D

The bad thing is, I think the action they take will not be in our favor. :cry:

Verisimi

Postby Verisimi » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:49 pm

At this point, I think we're all just waiting for the deluge of WL/Rejects that should be coming in a little less than 2 weeks right before their second ASW. If you get into the WL pile, things should start getting interesting again after people start choosing Y/S/Ruby/Hamilton/etc. and Harvard needs to fill more spots.

arkansawyer

Postby arkansawyer » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:13 pm

So who here is ready and willing to ride out the waitlist?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:16 pm

arkansawyer wrote:So who here is ready and willing to ride out the waitlist?

If it comes to that.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:48 am

when did the WL/dings begin to come out for holds last year?

I am trying to get a letter in from a distinguished alum...

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:13 am

tipler4213 wrote:when did the WL/dings begin to come out for holds last year?

Say hi to Obama !!!

(Because if it is not him, it will not mean much; it might not mean much even if it IS)

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:16 am

Nulli Secundus wrote:
(Because if it is not him, it will not mean much; it might not mean much even if it IS)

This is VERY credited. I had a very prominent, nationally known, well-respected businessman with HLS/HBS connections in Boston do a LOR for me, which at first he refused to write because he was sure he could "find the right person to talk to" to help me out. Couple weeks later he calls back and goes on a rant about how the HLS adcomm is as secretive as the CIA and they don't give a shit about "professional courtesy" etc and why don't I just go to HBS where the real men go, he'd get me right in there.
LOL Made me respect their process a lot more though.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:47 am

ElvisAaron wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:

This is VERY credited. I had a very prominent, nationally known, well-respected businessman with HLS/HBS connections in Boston do a LOR for me, which at first he refused to write because he was sure he could "find the right person to talk to" to help me out. Couple weeks later he calls back and goes on a rant about how the HLS adcomm is as secretive as the CIA and they don't give a shit about "professional courtesy" etc and why don't I just go to HBS where the real men go, he'd get me right in there.

So why don't you go to HBS like a real man? :lol:

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:58 am

r6_philly wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:

So why don't you go to HBS like a real man? :lol:

Honestly..It did make me second guess what I'm doing, since it looks like I'll be going to LS outside the top 50 (logistical restrictions) and executive business is my current profession. There was an easily-inferable job offer mixed in the " go to HBS" rant..but then I'm stuck in the industry I've grown to hate :lol:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:13 am

ElvisAaron wrote:
Honestly..It did make me second guess what I'm doing, since it looks like I'll be going to LS outside the top 50 (logistical restrictions) and executive business is my current profession. There was an easily-inferable job offer mixed in the " go to HBS" rant..but then I'm stuck in the industry I've grown to hate :lol:

I totally understand your situation. However, comparing a T1 LS investment as opposed to HBS is not sound, especially if you have a job offer with HBS. I know you hate the industry, but would you be happier in more higher up/strategic positions? You could always work on a PT law degree while making money after HBS if you are hell bent on a JD. I also am no longer in love my line of work, but I would stay if my LS decision wasn't going to be a good one (or go PT at Temple which was my fall back). Good luck! But I think if I was looking at T50 or a good B school (like Wharton), I would choose Wharton in a heartbeat.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:49 am

r6_philly wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:

I totally understand your situation. However, comparing a T1 LS investment as opposed to HBS is not sound, especially if you have a job offer with HBS. I know you hate the industry, but would you be happier in more higher up/strategic positions? You could always work on a PT law degree while making money after HBS if you are hell bent on a JD. I also am no longer in love my line of work, but I would stay if my LS decision wasn't going to be a good one (or go PT at Temple which was my fall back). Good luck! But I think if I was looking at T50 or a good B school (like Wharton), I would choose Wharton in a heartbeat.

Nah Im hell bent on the JD. I have already hit top levels in my current career and am solidly into the 28% tax bracket but its just not worth it when you hate it.
Absent a call from JR this year I'm just going to keep working and go PT, I have standing offers for when I finish the JD as well. I am in a very fortunate position employment-wise either way. HY were the only schools I was willing to quit everything and go FT for.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:55 am

ElvisAaron wrote:
Nah Im hell bent on the JD. I have already hit top levels in my current career and am solidly into the 28% tax bracket but its just not worth it when you hate it.
Absent a call from JR this year I'm just going to keep working and go PT, I have standing offers for when I finish the JD as well. I am in a very fortunate position employment-wise either way. HY were the only schools I was willing to quit everything and go FT for.

Good job :mrgreen: Good luck with everything, hope it works out for you!

I am a little more flexible on schools because I can't earn as much if I don't work full-time regular hour so I will have to go to school full time. And my part-time option is limited... I am still considering a b degree to fall back on, but I think I am just hedging too much lol (and I won't enjoy the job neither).

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:52 am

Nulli Secundus wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:when did the WL/dings begin to come out for holds last year?

Say hi to Obama !!!

Haha I don't doubt it, but I've got to try. You actually aren't that far off though.

champsound

Postby champsound » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:31 pm

Just joined this club today.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:34 pm

Are you kidding me? WTF Harvard?

snowkat

Postby snowkat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:36 pm

champsound wrote:Just joined this club today.

+1

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:24 pm

Gdammit. The professor I did my senior thesis for, whom I had asked for a LOR a long time ago and then again when I first got held, finally came through and sent it to HLS.
While I appreciate his enthusiasm for trying to make it seem like he knows me well (he had asked for my resume etc) he made a pretty egregious error at one point when citing some info about my current occupation. Pure RC fail on his part, and it gives me way more credit than I actually deserve and misrepresents what I do. I figure either they notice and it's clear that he doesn't know dick about me, they assume I bullshitted the guy to sound cooler, or they don't give a fuck.
Whatever the case I can't do shit now..waste of a good LOR though.

snowkat

Postby snowkat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Writing my LOCI now. It's pretty standard and serious. I'm wondering if in my final paragraph, where I mention that I want to move back to Boston because that's where my family is, it would be a bad idea to also mentioned that I love the Red Sox and am tired of living among Yankee fans. I'm not sure if that kind of levity would make me look frivolous or if it might be welcome. Any thoughts? I recognize that it's probably futile but I don't want to feel like I didn't try. Thanks.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”