Held at Harvard Law 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
snichols16

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby snichols16 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:53 pm

mel2010 wrote:E-penny for people's thoughts: I was held in early/mid February and sent in a LOCI within a few days, including some updates. I found out today that my senior thesis is nominated for an award, and I also have my midterm grades which were good...but I am hesitant to send in another update for just those things (especially since they require mailed updates), so I figured I'd put it out there for some perspectives. What do you think...more likely to be annoying, or helpful? Thanks :?

I would say no. My guess is they would only want to see grades if they were on a transcript. And being nominated for an award is great and you should be very proud of that (I'm not being sarcastic), but they will only care if you win the award.

mel2010

Postby mel2010 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:55 pm

snichols16 wrote:
mel2010 wrote:E-penny for people's thoughts: I was held in early/mid February and sent in a LOCI within a few days, including some updates. I found out today that my senior thesis is nominated for an award, and I also have my midterm grades which were good...but I am hesitant to send in another update for just those things (especially since they require mailed updates), so I figured I'd put it out there for some perspectives. What do you think...more likely to be annoying, or helpful? Thanks :?

I would say no. My guess is they would only want to see grades if they were on a transcript. And being nominated for an award is great and you should be very proud of that (I'm not being sarcastic), but they will only care if you win the award.

Tends to be my thoughts too. I'll know about whether I win or not in a week, I just figured they might be making decisions on my file any day now! (Hah...) Maybe I'll see what happens, and if I get it I'll mention it. Thanks for the thoughts.

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:17 pm

mel2010 wrote:
snichols16 wrote:

Tends to be my thoughts too. I'll know about whether I win or not in a week, I just figured they might be making decisions on my file any day now! (Hah...) Maybe I'll see what happens, and if I get it I'll mention it. Thanks for the thoughts.

Even if you win, I would caution against sending another LOCI. Remember that all of your actions at this point are being judged. Again, be proud of your hopeful accomplishment (and I honest to goodness am not saying this just because we are in "competition"), but I just don't think another LOCI is in your best interest.

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:25 pm

held today :mrgreen: :x :?: mostly just glad it's not another auto-WL but will start working on my LOCI!

jfb

Postby jfb » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:55 pm

Happy to join this club today. Slightly surprised considering my 170 and late application.

kak5n

Postby kak5n » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:22 am

I was held in January and I had my JR1 on Wednesday! Is it true they only make JR2s on Mondays? I have been obsessively checking my phone for the last two days even though I know it's ridiculously early to expect anything.

misterbingley

Postby misterbingley » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:41 am

welcome to all the new holds! i think it's mighty strange that harvard is holding people this late in the game but it's always nice to have some new faces in this thread!

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

kak5n wrote:I was held in January and I had my JR1 on Wednesday! Is it true they only make JR2s on Mondays? I have been obsessively checking my phone for the last two days even though I know it's ridiculously early to expect anything.

I think you at this point it's still Mondays. Congrats btw, good to see a fellow held get some action! You must be so excited!!

jimraynor

Postby jimraynor » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:57 am

Has anyone else notified them of upcoming deadlines? If so, have you gotten a response (of any sort) from them?

cucullu

Postby cucullu » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:32 pm

LOCI Draft:

March 19, 2011

Dear Dean Rubenstein and the Harvard Admissions Committee:

Congratulations! It gives me great pleasure to inform you that your e-mail indicating my application has been held for further review has been accepted. In order to select a law school that is extraordinary on many levels, I take enormous care in making my application decisions. Your record of academic achievement and institutional accomplishment truly set you apart, and I would (still) be delighted to join you as a member of the Harvard Law School Class of 2014.

I applaud your success in my highly selective competition for application materials and my own personal emotional investment, a process wherein I expect over eight accomplished schools will compete for approximately one enrolled student. My congratulations speak not only to your manifest educational and networking opportunities, but also to the elusive qualities of social cache that set you apart. You should savor this moment, and realize it is quite an accomplishment.

As you explore your options, I think you will discover many reasons to choose Cucullu. You will discovery a tradition of excellence. In addition, you will find an extraordinarily collegial and collaborative student, with a commitment to be a citizen in the true sense of the word. If you choose to admit Cucullu--and I hope you do--you will be challenged by a young woman who loves to learn, and who wants to engage with the world and with the central issues of the day.

I encourage you to see for yourself all that Cucullu offers. I hope the enclosed personal phone number, e-mail address, flash drive with pictures of my recent trip to Argentina, social security and bank account numbers, and Frequently Asked Questions is helpful to you as you consider Cucullu. Please don't hesitate to contact Cucullu, by telephone (333.333.3333) or by e-mail (Cucullu@geemail.com), with any questions. I'll be glad to hear from you.

Again, congratulations. I look forward with enthusiasm to welcoming myself into Harvard Law School.

Very truly yours,

Cucullu
Director of Cucullu’s Law School Applications

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:59 pm

cucullu wrote:LOCI Draft:

March 19, 2011

Dear Dean Rubenstein and the Harvard Admissions Committee:

Congratulations! It gives me great pleasure to inform you that your e-mail indicating my application has been held for further review has been accepted. In order to select a law school that is extraordinary on many levels, I take enormous care in making my application decisions. Your record of academic achievement and institutional accomplishment truly set you apart, and I would (still) be delighted to join you as a member of the Harvard Law School Class of 2014.

I applaud your success in my highly selective competition for application materials and my own personal emotional investment, a process wherein I expect over eight accomplished schools will compete for approximately one enrolled student. My congratulations speak not only to your manifest educational and networking opportunities, but also to the elusive qualities of social cache that set you apart. You should savor this moment, and realize it is quite an accomplishment.

As you explore your options, I think you will discover many reasons to choose Cucullu. You will discovery a tradition of excellence. In addition, you will find an extraordinarily collegial and collaborative student, with a commitment to be a citizen in the true sense of the word. If you choose to admit Cucullu--and I hope you do--you will be challenged by a young woman who loves to learn, and who wants to engage with the world and with the central issues of the day.

I encourage you to see for yourself all that Cucullu offers. I hope the enclosed personal phone number, e-mail address, flash drive with pictures of my recent trip to Argentina, social security and bank account numbers, and Frequently Asked Questions is helpful to you as you consider Cucullu. Please don't hesitate to contact Cucullu, by telephone (333.333.3333) or by e-mail (Cucullu@geemail.com), with any questions. I'll be glad to hear from you.

Again, congratulations. I look forward with enthusiasm to welcoming myself into Harvard Law School.

Very truly yours,

Cucullu
Director of Cucullu’s Law School Applications

this made my day :D

JFo

Postby JFo » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:03 pm

Cucullu, that's amazing. With my stats, I should send something like that, since they'll probably reject me anyway.

Joining in, held on 3/11, no JR1, so I was surprised to even be held. Glad to see a lot of familiar faces!

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:23 am

anyone interested in proofing an loci? (disclaimer: nowhere near as good as cucullu's)

BBeauty

Postby BBeauty » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:55 am

Im joining the club

cbp3443

Postby cbp3443 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:56 am

held today. :(

bluejax21

Postby bluejax21 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:56 pm

Held on 18 March... application submitted on 28 December.

Sicsofs

Postby Sicsofs » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:14 pm

Held today! Complete on 1/26, UR 2/7, held 3/22. I am honored to be in your company. My stats on paper are not even worth mentioning and in this thread are outright embarrassing. However, I am here nonetheless. What do I need to do? I am not as educated on this process as the rest of you and until today did not even know a "Hold" existed. What is the standard procedure to get that extra bump? And what should the tone of the LOCI be? I appreciate your help even though we are all fighting for the same slots. Cheers.

Sicsofs

Cpwilson

Postby Cpwilson » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:56 pm

The level of desperation on this thread would make one think that Harvard is the only law school in existence. Why do people love Harvard so much besides the name?

cucullu

Postby cucullu » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:05 pm

Cpwilson wrote:The level of desperation on this thread would make one think that Harvard is the only law school in existence. Why do people love Harvard so much besides the name?

What a clever ploy to bait us all into revealing the top secret contents of our highly original and extraordinarily clever respective LOCI's.

Don't be fooled people! Keep your reasons for liking Harvard to yourselves. 8)

ExpectLess

Postby ExpectLess » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:11 pm

Cpwilson wrote:The level of desperation on this thread would make one think that Harvard is the only law school in existence. Why do people love Harvard so much besides the name?

The faculty, the alumni network, the job opportunities, the LRAP, the degree portability? The name probably sways more people than it should, but it's still a great school.

Cpwilson

Postby Cpwilson » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:21 pm

ExpectLess wrote:

The faculty, the alumni network, the job opportunities, the LRAP, the degree portability? The name probably sways more people than it should, but it's still a great school.

Oops, didn't mean to PM that.

Cpwilson

Postby Cpwilson » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Anyways, I know it's a great and I get why people want to go, I just don't get the obsession. It's not like your life will be automatically measurably better in the long run because you went to Harvard over Michigan or Penn.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:59 pm

Cpwilson wrote:Anyways, I know it's a great and I get why people want to go, I just don't get the obsession. It's not like your life will be automatically measurably better in the long run because you went to Harvard over Michigan or Penn.

Possibly the most sensible thing I've heard on this thread in while, particularly in light of the fact that if you're getting into Harvard, you're probably getting $$$ at Penn or Michigan which is quite a safety net. Shocking to believe, but not everybody at Harvard is glad they did it and some even didn't get their first choice of jobs!

But seriously, I do know people at HLS who fall into both the aforementioned categories- it's a great school with wonderful opportunities but it's no magic bullet. The more I research employment statistics, the more I wonder how much of an advantage Harvard really conveys in those respects (if any). Clerkships and academia, sure, but if you just want to be a corporate attorney NLJ suggests your odds are just as good coming out of Cornell. Blasphemy, I know.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:38 am

It's a magic bullet.

But you do have to own the gun.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:39 am

2 of the best 3 names in my field of interest is at Harvard.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”