Held at Harvard Law 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
jtemp320
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby jtemp320 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:37 pm

swampthang wrote:
cassidylane wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:Personal connection to Boston is nice, but not something terribly relevant to Harvard in my opinion. There is always BU and BC if all you care about is being in Boston after all.



I thought of this, so I make a veiled reference to this by saying something along the lines of I have a personal connection to boston but also that I don't want to sacrifice any of my legal education which is why Harvard is my ideal. The res tof my application, personal statement, etc make it clear that boston is not ALL I care about, but I just need something to make it more "why Harvard"-y than just simply the fact that its harvard, ya know?

loving the commiseration. It is SO difficult to not feel like wtf's the point because I know this LOCI is likely to have little to no impact no matter what I say!


Nah, I think of it this way: LOCIs are like noses- pretty much everybody has one, so if you do, nothing special; but if you don't, definitely gets you noticed. I doubt they really read them much, but at least you checked off the box of doing as much as you can while wiling away waiting for them.



Yes - I guess this is my problem - right now I have no nose. But if I have nose I want it to be a nice enough nose to be a Harvard nose...

Uh basically I mean I cant think of anything worthwhile to say in LOCI - except "yes I still want to go to Harvard"...but I know I better get around to sending it

misspoopers
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:07 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby misspoopers » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:02 am

jtemp320 wrote:
swampthang wrote:
cassidylane wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:Personal connection to Boston is nice, but not something terribly relevant to Harvard in my opinion. There is always BU and BC if all you care about is being in Boston after all.



I thought of this, so I make a veiled reference to this by saying something along the lines of I have a personal connection to boston but also that I don't want to sacrifice any of my legal education which is why Harvard is my ideal. The res tof my application, personal statement, etc make it clear that boston is not ALL I care about, but I just need something to make it more "why Harvard"-y than just simply the fact that its harvard, ya know?

loving the commiseration. It is SO difficult to not feel like wtf's the point because I know this LOCI is likely to have little to no impact no matter what I say!


Nah, I think of it this way: LOCIs are like noses- pretty much everybody has one, so if you do, nothing special; but if you don't, definitely gets you noticed. I doubt they really read them much, but at least you checked off the box of doing as much as you can while wiling away waiting for them.



Yes - I guess this is my problem - right now I have no nose. But if I have nose I want it to be a nice enough nose to be a Harvard nose...

Uh basically I mean I cant think of anything worthwhile to say in LOCI - except "yes I still want to go to Harvard"...but I know I better get around to sending it


Is there any particular type of law you are interested in? What faculty and resources are available only at Harvard that allow you to fully realize your dreams to be the kind of lawyer you want to be? Do you on any level relate to any of the numerous important alumni of Harvard Law?

These are some of the things I have jotted down in the event my app gets put on hold this week (post-JR1). If I get any other ideas, Ill be glad to share :D

User avatar
jtemp320
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby jtemp320 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:13 am

I want to clerk - one day I'd love to do appellate work or work for DOJ. Obviously these are goals that would be helped by HLS but I dont have too many specifics. I know one or two HLS alumni but I cant really articulate why they make me want to go to Harvard - I'd say my biggest reason is options - I believe HLS will give me even more career options then where I am probably headed if I dont get off hold which is CLS.

User avatar
swampthang
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby swampthang » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:46 pm

jtemp320 wrote:
swampthang wrote:Nah, I think of it this way: LOCIs are like noses- pretty much everybody has one, so if you do, nothing special; but if you don't, definitely gets you noticed. I doubt they really read them much, but at least you checked off the box of doing as much as you can while wiling away waiting for them.



Yes - I guess this is my problem - right now I have no nose. But if I have nose I want it to be a nice enough nose to be a Harvard nose...

Uh basically I mean I cant think of anything worthwhile to say in LOCI - except "yes I still want to go to Harvard"...but I know I better get around to sending it


Another reasons are an apt analogy for LOCIs: no one dates someone because of their nose. You might NOT date someone with an unsightly schnozz, but nobody I know regards themselves as a "nose man" and picks girls out based on the shape and size of their beak. Again, noses don't really add much, but they can be a significant negative if they are missing/deformed.

Harvard, like all other stud muffins out there, just cares about T (LSAT) & A (GPA). Face (resume) and personality (PS/DS/LORs) are nice and all, but they don't make up for a complete lack of T&A. If you're ugly, it doesn't matter how funny you are, you're still ugly. And Harvard doesn't date ugly chicks. Just my thoughts.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:54 pm

swampthang wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:
swampthang wrote:Nah, I think of it this way: LOCIs are like noses- pretty much everybody has one, so if you do, nothing special; but if you don't, definitely gets you noticed. I doubt they really read them much, but at least you checked off the box of doing as much as you can while wiling away waiting for them.



Yes - I guess this is my problem - right now I have no nose. But if I have nose I want it to be a nice enough nose to be a Harvard nose...

Uh basically I mean I cant think of anything worthwhile to say in LOCI - except "yes I still want to go to Harvard"...but I know I better get around to sending it


Another reasons are an apt analogy for LOCIs: no one dates someone because of their nose. You might NOT date someone with an unsightly schnozz, but nobody I know regards themselves as a "nose man" and picks girls out based on the shape and size of their beak. Again, noses don't really add much, but they can be a significant negative if they are missing/deformed.

Harvard, like all other stud muffins out there, just cares about T (LSAT) & A (GPA). Face (resume) and personality (PS/DS/LORs) are nice and all, but they don't make up for a complete lack of T&A. If you're ugly, it doesn't matter how funny you are, you're still ugly. And Harvard doesn't date ugly chicks. Just my thoughts.


Congratulations, you have just won post of the week. :mrgreen:

User avatar
swampthang
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby swampthang » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:10 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
swampthang wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:
swampthang wrote:Nah, I think of it this way: LOCIs are like noses- pretty much everybody has one, so if you do, nothing special; but if you don't, definitely gets you noticed. I doubt they really read them much, but at least you checked off the box of doing as much as you can while wiling away waiting for them.



Yes - I guess this is my problem - right now I have no nose. But if I have nose I want it to be a nice enough nose to be a Harvard nose...

Uh basically I mean I cant think of anything worthwhile to say in LOCI - except "yes I still want to go to Harvard"...but I know I better get around to sending it


Another reasons are an apt analogy for LOCIs: no one dates someone because of their nose. You might NOT date someone with an unsightly schnozz, but nobody I know regards themselves as a "nose man" and picks girls out based on the shape and size of their beak. Again, noses don't really add much, but they can be a significant negative if they are missing/deformed.

Harvard, like all other stud muffins out there, just cares about T (LSAT) & A (GPA). Face (resume) and personality (PS/DS/LORs) are nice and all, but they don't make up for a complete lack of T&A. If you're ugly, it doesn't matter how funny you are, you're still ugly. And Harvard doesn't date ugly chicks. Just my thoughts.


Congratulations, you have just won post of the week. :mrgreen:


= JR1???

neonx
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby neonx » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:12 pm

swampthang wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:
swampthang wrote:Nah, I think of it this way: LOCIs are like noses- pretty much everybody has one, so if you do, nothing special; but if you don't, definitely gets you noticed. I doubt they really read them much, but at least you checked off the box of doing as much as you can while wiling away waiting for them.



Yes - I guess this is my problem - right now I have no nose. But if I have nose I want it to be a nice enough nose to be a Harvard nose...

Uh basically I mean I cant think of anything worthwhile to say in LOCI - except "yes I still want to go to Harvard"...but I know I better get around to sending it


Another reasons are an apt analogy for LOCIs: no one dates someone because of their nose. You might NOT date someone with an unsightly schnozz, but nobody I know regards themselves as a "nose man" and picks girls out based on the shape and size of their beak. Again, noses don't really add much, but they can be a significant negative if they are missing/deformed.

Harvard, like all other stud muffins out there, just cares about T (LSAT) & A (GPA). Face (resume) and personality (PS/DS/LORs) are nice and all, but they don't make up for a complete lack of T&A. If you're ugly, it doesn't matter how funny you are, you're still ugly. And Harvard doesn't date ugly chicks. Just my thoughts.


I love everything about this! Coupled with your awesome avatar, you seem like a cool cat. Let's be friendz.

User avatar
bkhopeful
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby bkhopeful » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:51 pm

i fear this may be a dumb question, but when they say send a postcard with your LOCI, do they mean one of those mail receipt cards you get at the post office or, like, a POSTCARD postcard? ready to send my LOCI and would be most grateful for an answer.

User avatar
mel2010
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby mel2010 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:21 am

bkhopeful wrote:i fear this may be a dumb question, but when they say send a postcard with your LOCI, do they mean one of those mail receipt cards you get at the post office or, like, a POSTCARD postcard? ready to send my LOCI and would be most grateful for an answer.


I don't know what they want, but I just put an addressed/stamped regular postcard so they can just toss it back in the mail.

Confused7
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby Confused7 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:48 pm

Wanted to keep the hope alive....got my email for JR1 today after being UR mid-November and held in early January. Don't give up you guys!

sonervous88
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby sonervous88 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:55 pm

Confused7 wrote:Wanted to keep the hope alive....got my email for JR1 today after being UR mid-November and held in early January. Don't give up you guys!


you give me hope

User avatar
ElvisAaron
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby ElvisAaron » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:22 pm

sonervous88 wrote:
Confused7 wrote:Wanted to keep the hope alive....got my email for JR1 today after being UR mid-November and held in early January. Don't give up you guys!


you give me hope


Idk how the issuance of JR1s to others gives non-receivers hope.Theres a limited number to go around, guys! Frankly I find that every round that I'm not included in crushes my hope a bit more. Or knocks it down and pisses on its face, as it were.

Confused7
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby Confused7 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:24 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:
sonervous88 wrote:
Confused7 wrote:Wanted to keep the hope alive....got my email for JR1 today after being UR mid-November and held in early January. Don't give up you guys!


you give me hope


Idk how the issuance of JR1s to others gives non-receivers hope.Theres a limited number to go around, guys! Frankly I find that every round that I'm not included in crushes my hope a bit more. Or knocks it down and pisses on its face, as it were.


Sorry, that really wasn't my intention. Having been UR for close to 4 months, I can say that I've seen many many cycles of JR1s-JR2s already. All I'm saying is don't count yourself out if you don't receive a JR1 within the first weeks or even months of submitting.

User avatar
mel2010
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby mel2010 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:24 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:
sonervous88 wrote:
Confused7 wrote:Wanted to keep the hope alive....got my email for JR1 today after being UR mid-November and held in early January. Don't give up you guys!


you give me hope


Idk how the issuance of JR1s to others gives non-receivers hope.Theres a limited number to go around, guys! Frankly I find that every round that I'm not included in crushes my hope a bit more. Or knocks it down and pisses on its face, as it were.


There's logic to both the optimistic/pessimistic sides. What you say is true, but this kind of news also means that they do admit people after a looooooong review period, so it doesn't mean a WL/rejection is inevitable.

User avatar
ElvisAaron
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby ElvisAaron » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:32 pm

mel2010 wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:
sonervous88 wrote:
Confused7 wrote:Wanted to keep the hope alive....got my email for JR1 today after being UR mid-November and held in early January. Don't give up you guys!


you give me hope


Idk how the issuance of JR1s to others gives non-receivers hope.Theres a limited number to go around, guys! Frankly I find that every round that I'm not included in crushes my hope a bit more. Or knocks it down and pisses on its face, as it were.


There's logic to both the optimistic/pessimistic sides. What you say is true, but this kind of news also means that they do admit people after a looooooong review period, so it doesn't mean a WL/rejection is inevitable.


Oh I do get it, and believe me I'm glad to be informed when people get them...but at this point I'm just bitter so any benefit of the "optimistic side" of the news you mention is lost on me :)

User avatar
rbarcelo9
Posts: 537
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby rbarcelo9 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:06 pm

Just got held...any advice that'll save me reading 23 pages?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:07 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:Just got held...any advice that'll save me reading 23 pages?


LOCI and pray.

User avatar
rbarcelo9
Posts: 537
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby rbarcelo9 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:08 pm

Thats what I figured...nice to hear from you again r6, i've abandoned the Berkeley and Michigan threads.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:10 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:Thats what I figured...nice to hear from you again r6, i've abandoned the Berkeley and Michigan threads.


Hi! lol Berkeley is still in for me. Mainly hanging out in the Stanford thread though. Why you have decided against them?

User avatar
rbarcelo9
Posts: 537
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby rbarcelo9 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:14 pm

r6_philly wrote:
rbarcelo9 wrote:Thats what I figured...nice to hear from you again r6, i've abandoned the Berkeley and Michigan threads.


Hi! lol Berkeley is still in for me. Mainly hanging out in the Stanford thread though. Why you have decided against them?

I've dreamt of Chicago for 5 years! It is my dream school and only H could really pull me from Chi.

shoop
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby shoop » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:15 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:Just got held...any advice that'll save me reading 23 pages?


Fuck, really? When there was no HLS movement this morning, I was kinda hoping we were all safe for another week.

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:28 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:Just got held...any advice that'll save me reading 23 pages?

Just go to Chicago....you love the place and it'll save you the discouragement of waiting like the rest of us.

But that's the impatience of not knowing starting to kick in. I'm starting not to live up to my username.

P.S. I'm always surprised when people say they've dreamed of a school for 5+ years or something like that. I mean Harvard and Yale were always glamorized by the media and other outlets, H especially but I assume that 5 years ago...anyone applying to law school was either in undergrad, high school or working. I guess I just don't see myself thinking THAT far into the future while in any of those situations.

User avatar
rbarcelo9
Posts: 537
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby rbarcelo9 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:27 pm

I went into undergrad knowing I wanted to go to law school. In highschool I researched and the summer before my freshman year I visited Chicago and loved the city. Ever since then k
I wanted to go to law school there.

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:56 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:I went into undergrad knowing I wanted to go to law school. In highschool I researched and the summer before my freshman year I visited Chicago and loved the city. Ever since then k
I wanted to go to law school there.

Loving the city and school are two different things, but I hear you. I went into undergrad with everything pointing to me being a lawyer...every career test and everyone around me saying it LOL. The more I learned about the profession I wasn't sure until my junior year of college. But then again, I didn't have any lawyers around me so if someone did know what they were all about and loved that...then of course.

User avatar
rbarcelo9
Posts: 537
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby rbarcelo9 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:58 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
rbarcelo9 wrote:I went into undergrad knowing I wanted to go to law school. In highschool I researched and the summer before my freshman year I visited Chicago and loved the city. Ever since then k
I wanted to go to law school there.

Loving the city and school are two different things, but I hear you. I went into undergrad with everything pointing to me being a lawyer...every career test and everyone around me saying it LOL. The more I learned about the profession I wasn't sure until my junior year of college. But then again, I didn't have any lawyers around me so if someone did know what they were all about and loved that...then of course.

I know they are different. But it's also a really good school and the more I read about it and researched it, the more I wanted to go. So I admit that at first I just wanted to go because it was high ranked and in a city I loved, but now after researching it, I love it for more academic reasons....oh and the Rigor!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Automotomayor, AZnative, Baidu [Spider], BobBoblaw, Houzy, lawlaura3494, Long shot hero, MSNbot Media, ReadyToStart, sonyco and 17 guests