Held at Harvard Law 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
deathviaboredom

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby deathviaboredom » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:20 pm

I am joining this thread. I don't have anything to write for a LOCI, but I'm glad just to have made it this far.

deathviaboredom

Postby deathviaboredom » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:26 pm

bosox777 wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:
bosox777 wrote:Anyone want to take a look at the LOCI I just drafted up? Willing to swap of course. I've never done something like this before, so not really sure how to do a good job beyond the guidelines and tips offered in the TLS LOCI article.

I'll swap, I just put one together myself..

PMed. Any other eyes willing to check it out as well (shamelessly seeking double help...)?

I'll take a look at it.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:30 pm

Welcome y'all !!

Starry I think your phonecall made them find your file behind that desk at last :)

EDIT: I guess afternoon is reserved for dings, dibs!

Hobbes89

Postby Hobbes89 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:14 pm

Looks like I'm joining this crew.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:15 pm

Question! The original hold email says that we should notify Harvard if we have a deadline from another school. I now have a deadline that I may have to deal with, so what would be the best way to notify them? I'm assuming I can just shoot them an email since I already sent in a LOCI and can't just tack this on to the end, but does anyone suggest that I do something else? TIA!!!

playdough

Postby playdough » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:02 am

Anyone think they have a sense of what portion of the class has already been admitted and how many seats are probably still open?

lbki

Postby lbki » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:26 am

law_monkey wrote:Question! The original hold email says that we should notify Harvard if we have a deadline from another school. I now have a deadline that I may have to deal with, so what would be the best way to notify them? I'm assuming I can just shoot them an email since I already sent in a LOCI and can't just tack this on to the end, but does anyone suggest that I do something else? TIA!!!

I tried to notify Harvard Admissions of a deadline by email and received the following reply:

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept letters of recommendation, updates or additions to your application via email or fax. Please mail your materials to us via the postal service and be sure to include your name and LSAC number. If you would like to receive confirmation that we have received the information, please include a self-addressed, stamped postcard that we can return to you when your items arrive.

All transcript updates must be submitted via LSAC.

Our mailing address is below.

Harvard Law School J.D. Admissions
Austin Hall 203
1515 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138

Once our office is in receipt of your request, it will be added to your file. Although we appreciate the update, please note that we cannot guarantee that a decision will be made by your requested deadline.

Thank you for your interest in Harvard Law School.

Best,

Andrea

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:18 am

lbki wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Question! The original hold email says that we should notify Harvard if we have a deadline from another school. I now have a deadline that I may have to deal with, so what would be the best way to notify them? I'm assuming I can just shoot them an email since I already sent in a LOCI and can't just tack this on to the end, but does anyone suggest that I do something else? TIA!!!

I tried to notify Harvard Admissions of a deadline by email and received the following reply:

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept letters of recommendation, updates or additions to your application via email or fax. Please mail your materials to us via the postal service and be sure to include your name and LSAC number. If you would like to receive confirmation that we have received the information, please include a self-addressed, stamped postcard that we can return to you when your items arrive.

Austin Hall 203
Cambridge, MA 02138

Once our office is in receipt of your request, it will be added to your file. Although we appreciate the update, please note that we cannot guarantee that a decision will be made by your requested deadline.

Best,

Andrea

Ugh. Thanks for the info! You would think that with a simple deadline notification an email would work. :|

cassidylane

Postby cassidylane » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:34 pm

law_monkey wrote:
lbki wrote:

Austin Hall 203
Cambridge, MA 02138

Best,

Andrea

Ugh. Thanks for the info! You would think that with a simple deadline notification an email would work. :|

I know! When I first applied and wanted them to wait for my Dec LSAT they wouldn't accept that info via phone or email, so I waited until I was home in MA for thanksgiving break and physically WALKED a letter in to the admisssions office. FWIW, that worked. Although, not that well, because I am now held haha.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:55 pm

I already had the date of Dec LSAT on my application form so that might be why they were more understanding but when I e-mailed them about my intention to take December LSAT, they answered with a nice "Our office made note about your LSAT registration". Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

djfe4president

Postby djfe4president » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:19 pm

must keep thread alive...

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:30 pm

djfe4president wrote:must keep thread alive...

Can't. There's nothing to say anymore until JR starts handing out interviews again! WHICH HE WILL DO!!! That class is NOT full yet!

lkk

Postby lkk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:34 pm

law_monkey wrote:

Can't. There's nothing to say anymore until JR starts handing out interviews again! WHICH HE WILL DO!!! That class is NOT full yet!

+100!

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:03 pm

law_monkey wrote:

I have decided to just stop hoping for and thinking about HLS. I hope it will have the same effect as walking away from a bus stop: once you make the decision to move on, magically it will arrive!

miracle2011

Postby miracle2011 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:16 pm

Based on last year when did the first hold dings go out? March? Or do we all have to wait until April if we have bad news?

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:21 am

miracle2011 wrote:Based on last year when did the first hold dings go out? March? Or do we all have to wait until April if we have bad news?

Oh yeah. March is upon us. I feel like whatever's left can't be good news. But obviously some of us are still getting in, so that just doesn't make sense. :?

happyfeet

Postby happyfeet » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:29 pm

tagged

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:35 pm

So since they are "up to our eyeballs with applications," there is no way to revisit us anytime soon right?

mbaba19

Postby mbaba19 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:38 pm

Joining everyone here... Actually got it last week, but I didn't see this thread until just now. Anyway, 179/3.7... I guess this means I have to think about more specific reasons I actually want to go to Harvard and then... ya know, tell them.

cassidylane

Postby cassidylane » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:59 pm

Trying to think of things to say in a LOCI. I added some positive updates from my semester so far (might get the department award for my major, stuff like that) but in general I feel like I'm nto saying anything terribly exciting. I'm adding teh fact that literally my entire family is in Boston, that my sister is getting married so I want to be near her, my brother moved back to boston, my parents are retiring there, and a very ill relative is there who I've hardly been able to see in my four years in college in CA. Obviously I said that all in a prettier fashion, but it feels like kind of a silly personal appeal. I mean its all true, but I doubt it would convince them to admit me! To be honest no idea why I got held, I applied based on my practice LSATs and ended up scoring much lower and then never thought about them again until the hold email. should have been auto-ding!

LOCI thoughts? Personal stuff useless? helpful?

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:09 pm

Personal connection to Boston is nice, but not something terribly relevant to Harvard in my opinion. There is always BU and BC if all you care about is being in Boston after all.

RTFM

Postby RTFM » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:36 pm

cassidylane wrote:Trying to think of things to say in a LOCI. I added some positive updates from my semester so far (might get the department award for my major, stuff like that) but in general I feel like I'm nto saying anything terribly exciting. I'm adding teh fact that literally my entire family is in Boston, that my sister is getting married so I want to be near her, my brother moved back to boston, my parents are retiring there, and a very ill relative is there who I've hardly been able to see in my four years in college in CA. Obviously I said that all in a prettier fashion, but it feels like kind of a silly personal appeal. I mean its all true, but I doubt it would convince them to admit me! To be honest no idea why I got held, I applied based on my practice LSATs and ended up scoring much lower and then never thought about them again until the hold email. should have been auto-ding!

I'm having pretty much the same problem with my LOCI. Duh I still am interested in you, Harvard. I thought I'd try to take the "why you should want me" route, and I'm trying to explain the perspective I've gained during my work experience (which I don't think really came through in my PS) and how that will add to the Harvard community. But this LOCI is driving me crazy, especially I know that I could be dinged any day now.

Sorry if that's not terribly helpful, but it's always nice to commiserate!

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:55 pm

cassidylane wrote:Trying to think of things to say in a LOCI. I added some positive updates from my semester so far (might get the department award for my major, stuff like that) but in general I feel like I'm nto saying anything terribly exciting. I'm adding teh fact that literally my entire family is in Boston, that my sister is getting married so I want to be near her, my brother moved back to boston, my parents are retiring there, and a very ill relative is there who I've hardly been able to see in my four years in college in CA. Obviously I said that all in a prettier fashion, but it feels like kind of a silly personal appeal. I mean its all true, but I doubt it would convince them to admit me! To be honest no idea why I got held, I applied based on my practice LSATs and ended up scoring much lower and then never thought about them again until the hold email. should have been auto-ding!

Yep--I've been working on my LOCI for about a month. Which is bad.

I need to think up something unusual to mention in my LOCI, because I'm pretty sure sending in a standard LOCI isn't going to make JR's jaw drop in my case.

cassidylane

Postby cassidylane » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:15 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:Personal connection to Boston is nice, but not something terribly relevant to Harvard in my opinion. There is always BU and BC if all you care about is being in Boston after all.

I thought of this, so I make a veiled reference to this by saying something along the lines of I have a personal connection to boston but also that I don't want to sacrifice any of my legal education which is why Harvard is my ideal. The res tof my application, personal statement, etc make it clear that boston is not ALL I care about, but I just need something to make it more "why Harvard"-y than just simply the fact that its harvard, ya know?

loving the commiseration. It is SO difficult to not feel like wtf's the point because I know this LOCI is likely to have little to no impact no matter what I say!

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:28 pm

cassidylane wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:Personal connection to Boston is nice, but not something terribly relevant to Harvard in my opinion. There is always BU and BC if all you care about is being in Boston after all.

I thought of this, so I make a veiled reference to this by saying something along the lines of I have a personal connection to boston but also that I don't want to sacrifice any of my legal education which is why Harvard is my ideal. The res tof my application, personal statement, etc make it clear that boston is not ALL I care about, but I just need something to make it more "why Harvard"-y than just simply the fact that its harvard, ya know?

loving the commiseration. It is SO difficult to not feel like wtf's the point because I know this LOCI is likely to have little to no impact no matter what I say!

Nah, I think of it this way: LOCIs are like noses- pretty much everybody has one, so if you do, nothing special; but if you don't, definitely gets you noticed. I doubt they really read them much, but at least you checked off the box of doing as much as you can while wiling away waiting for them.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”