Held at Harvard Law 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gatorgirl4life

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby gatorgirl4life » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:32 pm

eaa1537 wrote:Forgot to post in this thread too but I also was held and just got a JR1!!!! Keep the hope alive :D

+1 :D

bistduverrueckt

Postby bistduverrueckt » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:52 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:Forgot to post in this thread too but I also was held and just got a JR1!!!! Keep the hope alive :D

+1 :D

Congrats you guys! Best of luck on the JR1s!

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:40 pm

Sorry, forgot to post here:

JR1!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to all the other JR1 recipients and to those still waiting!!

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:12 pm

meant to PM :oops:
Last edited by gatorgirl4life on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:12 pm

playdough

Postby playdough » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:36 am

Has anyone that was held been rejected yet?

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:06 pm

playdough wrote:Has anyone that was held been rejected yet?

Nope. Or waitlisted, which historically is where most of the holds end up. Yesterday was the first day we saw a big clump of movement.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:21 pm

law_monkey wrote:

Nope. Or waitlisted, which historically is where most of the holds end up. Yesterday was the first day we saw a big clump of movement.

WL is better than ding.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:39 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

WL is better than ding.

True, but I have a strict no WL policy. So for me a WL will just give me the teeny tiny bit of power to tell them no thanks.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:05 pm

law_monkey wrote:
True, but I have a strict no WL policy. So for me a WL will just give me the teeny tiny bit of power to tell them no thanks.

You say that now...

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:20 pm

Yeah, i said no waitlist until i got held at Harvard and deferred ED at NYU (my top 2)

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:22 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

You say that now...

And mean it. It's really not financially feasible to sit on anyone's waitlist. Being in at my dream school also makes a huge difference since everything from here on out is just icing on the cake. And not everyone wants a lot of frosting. :D

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:24 pm

law_monkey wrote:And mean it. It's really not financially feasible to sit on anyone's waitlist. Being in at my dream school also makes a huge difference since everything from here on out is just icing on the cake. And not everyone wants a lot of frosting. :D

Then why are you leaving socal? :P

Being on big H's WL is financially feasible - why not?

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:30 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:And mean it. It's really not financially feasible to sit on anyone's waitlist. Being in at my dream school also makes a huge difference since everything from here on out is just icing on the cake. And not everyone wants a lot of frosting. :D

Haha funny. Although we have already discussed my feelings about LA. And if I make all the arrangements to move out somewhere and then have to turn around a move AGAIN at the last minute, there's no way I would be able to afford that. Plus I would lose the deposit money to the other school (read as the lovely UPenn!). And who knows how much financial aid money they'll still have if I were to get in late August. On top of all that, once I commit it's over. That's where I'm going. I want to be super pumped and into my decision without sitting around all summer still wondering where I'll actually be.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:31 pm

What's wrong with LA? I'd be so in at UCLA if the degree were more portable... I live in Chicago, and I can tell you... the frosting is weak.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:32 pm

law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Haha funny. Although we have already discussed my feelings about LA. And if I make all the arrangements to move out somewhere and then have to turn around a move AGAIN at the last minute, there's no way I would be able to afford that. Plus I would lose the deposit money to the other school (read as the lovely UPenn!). And who knows how much financial aid money they'll still have if I were to get in late August. On top of all that, once I commit it's over. That's where I'm going. I want to be super pumped and into my decision without sitting around all summer still wondering where I'll actually be.

All true, but the future earning power (and scores of women/men) you get from going to Big H far outweighs a seat/apartment deposit.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:42 pm

tipler4213 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

All true, but the future earning power (and scores of women/men) you get from going to Big H far outweighs a seat/apartment deposit.

Totally agree. We're talking MAYBE $2,000 incremental, which is a drop vs. the potential impact on lifetime earnings (if you believe what everyone says). Then again, don't do the WL so all of us will have that tiny little iota more of hope!

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:43 pm

ahduth wrote:What's wrong with LA? I'd be so in at UCLA if the degree were more portable... I live in Chicago, and I can tell you... the frosting is weak.

It's really a personal preference thing - and LA definitely doesn't match mine. I just don't like how sprawled out and inaccessible the city is. I get bored by the weather (which I don't think is a problem for anyone else haha). It bothers me when its super smoggy out. A lot of residents seem to have an isolated, superficial attitude (not on the school campuses, but out in the actual city). For as much diversity as there is here, there's hardly any real blending. I loved my college experience here, but it's not somewhere that I want to stay long term. Like I said, it's mostly just that the aspects of the city that a lot of people love didn't match my own preferences.

I do completely agree with that, but I'm still not willing to do it. If Harvard takes me I will definitely be excited and add it to my list of considerations. I just don't think I'm quite as in love with it as other people are. Part of that though is that I haven't let myself fall in love with it because I've never really believed I would get in anyway. If I know it's an option (through an outright admit, not a WL), then of course I'm not going to just let it slide by.

jdstl

Postby jdstl » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:54 pm

Is there anyway to make riding the waitlist compatible with other schools' scholarship offers?

I'd be willing to ride the Harvard waitlist into the summer, but Hamilton acceptance deadline is May 1st and there's now way I could give up $160,000 just for the chance of getting off the waitlist.

sparkle

Postby sparkle » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:41 am

Just checking in, I was forgotten, now I am held.

Hoping for some of that Hold-->JR1 luck.

misterbingley

Postby misterbingley » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:05 pm

Same as sparkle.

UR 12/3 --> Forgotten --> Held --> JR's love?

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:06 pm

jdstl wrote:Is there anyway to make riding the waitlist compatible with other schools' scholarship offers?

I'd be willing to ride the Harvard waitlist into the summer, but Hamilton acceptance deadline is May 1st and there's now way I could give up $160,000 just for the chance of getting off the waitlist.

I think you should just take the Hamilton and clear some room for us at Harvard :). In all seriousness, congratulations--that's awesome.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Held Today. Much better than what I thought I would hear from Cambridge. Let the false expectations of hope begin!

Gaby

Postby Gaby » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:15 pm

Why hello, my new friends!

Held today... and holding on to a little bit of hope. Oh well.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:08 pm

I was held a while ago and no JR1. So I think is WL or ding for me. Just thought I'd check in here.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”