Held at Harvard Law 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Re: Held at Harvard Law 2011

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:25 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:JR1 for everyone this week! I sense movement should start shortly as deadline has passed. Schools with my other outstanding apps are starting to work through their backlogs, Harvard would probably start as well.

r6_philly wrote:Don't get my hopes up please.

:wink:

Different thread, different mood, different expectation, different outlook, different approach.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Different thread, different mood, different expectation, different outlook, different approach.

Suuuuuuure. On another note, with all this activity for other people, I would really appreciate some love for us holds.

Weirdlog

Postby Weirdlog » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:31 pm

It seems like the whole rest of the applicant pool is moving except us.

Such is life being held.

hoping

Postby hoping » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:26 pm

hey all, i was wondering if someone could send em their loci and/or look over mine so i can get an idea of what its supposed to look like! pm me if it would be possible!!

thanks!

Weirdlog

Postby Weirdlog » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:00 pm

Last edited by Weirdlog on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

neonx

Postby neonx » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:02 pm

Weirdlog wrote:LOCI's don't show up on the status checker, right?

I sent it along with a new letter of recommendation--and the new LOR posted today on the status checker. So, I'm guessing they got the LOCI, but it didn't post on the status checker.

Also, I sent this last Thursday and it posted today--really quick turnaround! Looks like they're on top of things over there today.

LORs get sent sent/processed via LSAC. So it only should take about a day (from my experience).

LOCI -- you won't be informed unless you attached a stamped postcard with your additional documents.

jcn4

Postby jcn4 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:20 pm

Looks like someone got in off the held list, though they had a pre-hold JR1:

l000needles wrote:UR:11/19
Complete:12/1
JR1: 12/6
Hold: 2/4
JR2: 2/7

Wth? But I'll take it. :D :D :D

Let's see more, please.

bleedblue

Postby bleedblue » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:22 pm

If I didn't send a postcard for a receipt of them getting my LOCI, do you think I could send one after the fact with my name and LSAC number and they would respond?

jcn4

Postby jcn4 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:23 pm

bleedblue wrote:If I didn't send a postcard for a receipt of them getting my LOCI, do you think I could send one after the fact with my name and LSAC number and they would respond?

The point of it is they use it as confirmation that it was received - in other words, you know they got your update because they mailed back a postcard that was in the same envelope. So this won't help.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:34 pm

Historically has there been any movement at all on a Tuesday? Lulz.
Last edited by Nulli Secundus on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdstl

Postby jdstl » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:34 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:Historically was there any movement at all on a Tuesday? Lulz.

Hope springs eternal.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:35 pm

jdstl wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:Historically was there any movement at all on a Tuesday? Lulz.

Hope springs eternal.

Would you take H over Hamilton? Just curious.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:35 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:Historically has there been any movement at all on a Tuesday? Lulz.

Lots of jr1s actually.

makeithappen

Postby makeithappen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:06 pm

OK so I realize I'm a little late to the discussion, and that someone just posted a similar idea on the Held at Columbia thread, but I honestly don't understand why everyone is so happy to be held at Harvard.

I've been describing it to my friends as the following situation:

You tell a girl you love her-- better yet, you take her to a $100 dinner just to see if she loves you-- and she says "hmmm... let me get back to you after I see if anyone better than you loves me too." And then she adds, "By the way, if you meet someone else, you should probably just go with them even though I might holler at ya later."

Now, in normal life, if someone "didn't exactly reject you" in this insanely arrogant way, and "held" your earnest application for love, any self-respecting human being would say "holy @#$! she is such a @#$!."

And I have to say, I'm held at HLS and CLS, and I think Harvard's hold is way worse. CLS at least said "we'll let you know by April 22"-- Harvard, on the other hand, has not given any indication that they will even waitlist or reject us by the time we have to send a deposit to other schools. I paid good money to have my application reviewed-- which means they should at least dignify my efforts with one of three responses (held, aka "no response even by the May 1st deadline," is NOT one of them).

As for the argument that silence from SLS, Duke, Michigan, etc. is similar-- I'd say it's only similar if those schools don't give you any answer by the time you have to pay a deposit somewhere else.

After all this, I don't want to go to Harvard, even if they come crawling back, groveling on my front lawn to accept me. At this point, just like I'd wish for in the professing-my-love situation, I just want the money back I spent on dinner.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:17 pm

makeithappen wrote:OK so I realize I'm a little late to the discussion, and that someone just posted a similar idea on the Held at Columbia thread, but I honestly don't understand why everyone is so happy to be held at Harvard.

You tell a girl you love her-- better yet, you take her to a $100 dinner just to see if she loves you-- and she says "hmmm... let me get back to you after I see if anyone better than you loves me too." And then she adds, "By the way, if you meet someone else, you should probably just go with them even though I might holler at ya later."

Now, in normal life, if someone "didn't exactly reject you" in this insanely arrogant way, and "held" your earnest application for love, any self-respecting human being would say "holy @#$! she is such a @#$!."

And I have to say, I'm held at HLS and CLS, and I think Harvard's hold is way worse. CLS at least said "we'll let you know by April 22"-- Harvard, on the other hand, has not given any indication that they will even waitlist or reject us by the time we have to send a deposit to other schools. I paid good money to have my application reviewed-- which means they should at least dignify my efforts with one of three responses (held, aka "no response even by the May 1st deadline," is NOT one of them).

As for the argument that silence from SLS, Duke, Michigan, etc. is similar-- I'd say it's only similar if those schools don't give you any answer by the time you have to pay a deposit somewhere else.

After all this, I don't want to go to Harvard, even if they come crawling back, groveling on my front lawn to accept me. At this point, just like I'd wish for in the professing-my-love situation, I just want the money back I spent on dinner.

Dinner was only $85. $97 with tip (waiter=LSAC). Makes a bid difference.

timmna

Postby timmna » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:18 pm

I don't have any clever dating metaphors, but I honestly just hope I know in time to attend an ASW, and before I have to make any financial decisions.

makeithappen

Postby makeithappen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:33 pm

tipler4213 wrote:
makeithappen wrote:OK so I realize I'm a little late to the discussion, and that someone just posted a similar idea on the Held at Columbia thread, but I honestly don't understand why everyone is so happy to be held at Harvard.

Ha! Closer to $500 if you count the limo (cost of taking the LSAT, which included flying to another country because it isn't offered here). Guess that's a bit of a stretch since I used that limo to go to dinner with multiple women.... but still.

cassidylane

Postby cassidylane » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:37 pm

I think the "thrill" of being held was just for those of us who were absolutely certain we were getting rejected (i.e. me). I applied based on my LSAT practice tests and submitted before my few-points lower Dec LSAT went in. I thought I had absolutely no shot, hence hold is a bit surprising and a somewhat amusing postponment of rejection, thats all. I do agree that their nonchalance about giving a response is frustrating....how hard is it to get one at the end of cycle in mid April??

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:45 pm

cassidylane wrote:I think the "thrill" of being held was just for those of us who were absolutely certain we were getting rejected (i.e. me). I applied based on my LSAT practice tests and submitted before my few-points lower Dec LSAT went in. I thought I had absolutely no shot, hence hold is a bit surprising and a somewhat amusing postponment of rejection, thats all. I do agree that their nonchalance about giving a response is frustrating....how hard is it to get one at the end of cycle in mid April??

It's only 2nd week of Feb?

I am also thrilled, I just wish I could get a decision by their ASW (which is very close).

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:49 pm

makeithappen wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:

Ha! Closer to $500 if you count the limo (cost of taking the LSAT, which included flying to another country because it isn't offered here). Guess that's a bit of a stretch since I used that limo to go to dinner with multiple women.... but still.

While the love life references are often entertaining, there's really no comparison with this situation. This just kind of depends on how much you want Harvard. For me personally, this was definitely a hail Mary app so just the fact that they chose not to get rid of me right away is amazing. Some people are disappointed with their holds if they thought they had a decent shot, and some people are happy to take what they can get. The thing with higher schools, like Harvard and Columbia, is that their reputation is so great that they can leave people hanging forever and people will still be grateful to get in. Just make your plans with what you have now, and change them accordingly should Harvard come into the picture.

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:
cassidylane wrote:I think the "thrill" of being held was just for those of us who were absolutely certain we were getting rejected (i.e. me). I applied based on my LSAT practice tests and submitted before my few-points lower Dec LSAT went in. I thought I had absolutely no shot, hence hold is a bit surprising and a somewhat amusing postponment of rejection, thats all. I do agree that their nonchalance about giving a response is frustrating....how hard is it to get one at the end of cycle in mid April??

It's only 2nd week of Feb?

I am also thrilled, I just wish I could get a decision by their ASW (which is very close).

Do you have a conflict with their second ASW (the one in April)? Because that one would give you plenty of time to hear back.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:07 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:
Do you have a conflict with their second ASW (the one in April)? Because that one would give you plenty of time to hear back.

It would make for very short negotiation window with other schools, and very short decision window for my family if get in say in mid April. Of course if I do at any point, I'd be completely happy so I will make it work. Ideally, soon. :D

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:10 pm

makeithappen wrote:You tell a girl you love her-- better yet, you take her to a $100 dinner just to see if she loves you-- and she says "hmmm... let me get back to you after I see if anyone better than you loves me too." And then she adds, "By the way, if you meet someone else, you should probably just go with them even though I might holler at ya later."

I think the better analogy might be that you see this girl, no, wait, movie star that everyone adores. She's walking by on the red carpet to her newest movie premiere, looking hot. You watch as she goes. You consider saying something, but then you think, "I'm so out of her league. She could never like me or give me the time of day." But some crazy thought makes you yell, "I love you! Let me take you on a date!" Instead of being shocked and apalled that you propositioned her, she takes a measured look at you and says, "You're kinda cute. Wait for me here and after the show, I'll think about it."

And that's why we like being held by Harvard.

eaa1537

Postby eaa1537 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:13 pm

r6_philly wrote: It would make for very short negotiation window with other schools, and very short decision window for my family if get in say in mid April. Of course if I do at any point, I'd be completely happy so I will make it work. Ideally, soon. :D

I'm also worried about this but they did mention in the email that it could help to notify them of deadlines with another school. I'm particularly worried what would happen if I actually get offered the levy, I would definitely be annoyed if I had to withdraw from Harvard before actually having a decision...

kazu

Postby kazu » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:15 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:
makeithappen wrote:You tell a girl you love her-- better yet, you take her to a $100 dinner just to see if she loves you-- and she says "hmmm... let me get back to you after I see if anyone better than you loves me too." And then she adds, "By the way, if you meet someone else, you should probably just go with them even though I might holler at ya later."

I think the better analogy might be that you see this girl, no, wait, movie star that everyone adores. She's walking by on the red carpet to her newest movie premiere, looking hot. You watch as she goes. You consider saying something, but then you think, "I'm so out of her league. She could never like me or give me the time of day." But some crazy thought makes you yell, "I love you! Let me take you on a date!" Instead of being shocked and apalled that you propositioned her, she takes a measured look at you and says, "You're kinda cute. Wait for me here and after the show, I'll think about it."

And that's why we like being held by Harvard.

Love this.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”