University of New Mexico 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rebexness

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby rebexness » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:16 am

Last edited by rebexness on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usuallyjustlurks

Postby usuallyjustlurks » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:03 am

U of Arizona counts Alaska residents as "in-state" because Alaska doesn't have a law school. There's a decent chance UNM does the same. If you're an Alaska resident, I would definitely take the time to call admissions and find out: could give you an advantage and/or save a lot of money.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:34 am

rebexness wrote:I was trying to fill out my app online and in that intense "NM residency" part (req even for those OOS) had a dropdown for what state you are from.

ALASKA isn't even on there. WTF people?

It should be on there... WTF! :lol: :lol:

The above posters comment might be true though.... is there a WICHE type thing for that? I know like WA tends to make Alaska residents count as in state. I would definitely call UNM.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:07 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:48 pm

rebexness wrote:
I had never seen law school with WICHE but I was hoping to leverage myself some money/in state based on the lack of law schools.

I just had to crack up that Alaska wasn't even on the "place you are from" list.

Yeah, especially considering all the "Do you speak English down there?" comments we get when we travel to other states, you think NM would be careful to include ALL the states when they did their app. :mrgreen:

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:49 pm

Unfortunately, notice of Alaska's statehood was in English.

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:22 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Unfortunately, notice of Alaska's statehood was in English.

And we couldn't pay enough pesos to get them to translate it for us. :roll:

In other news for any out of staters, just FYI, this really is like a third world country down here sometimes. Did you know that we still get cases of bubonic plague down here?

FYI, if you are wondering, the above information is offered in an obscenely proud tone of voice.

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:43 pm

firemed wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Unfortunately, notice of Alaska's statehood was in English.

And we couldn't pay enough pesos to get them to translate it for us. :roll:

In other news for any out of staters, just FYI, this really is like a third world country down here sometimes. Did you know that we still get cases of bubonic plague down here?

FYI, if you are wondering, the above information is offered in an obscenely proud tone of voice.

HAHA. I live on the border, so I can attest to this. However, Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico are still my favorite states :).

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:25 pm

Aldenita wrote:HAHA. I live on the border, so I can attest to this. However, Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico are still my favorite states :).

Hey Aldenita and any other out of state people: according to the student handbook every law student will be able to (and get) in state tuition starting in their 2nd year. How this happens, I don't know. But it is an official publication, so they have to be on to something.

BUT: Call them and figure it out! For those of you worried about not getting schollys, this may well be the answer!

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:50 pm

firemed wrote:
Aldenita wrote:HAHA. I live on the border, so I can attest to this. However, Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico are still my favorite states :).

Hey Aldenita and any other out of state people: according to the student handbook every law student will be able to (and get) in state tuition starting in their 2nd year. How this happens, I don't know. But it is an official publication, so they have to be on to something.

BUT: Call them and figure it out! For those of you worried about not getting schollys, this may well be the answer!

Amazing! That would sweeten the pot because in-state tuition at UNM is cheaper than any law school in Texas with in-state tuition. Did you find the handbook on their website?

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:28 pm

Aldenita wrote:
firemed wrote:

Amazing! That would sweeten the pot because in-state tuition at UNM is cheaper than any law school in Texas with in-state tuition. Did you find the handbook on their website?

Yes, under admitted students... I think under reading list? Or maybe the checklist?

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:05 pm

Still no word. I just talked to my friend who claims that he was admitted to UNM two weeks after he sent in his application. I think this is dubious. Does anyone else know if this school admits anyone within two weeks of receiving their application?

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:57 am

nStiver wrote:Still no word. I just talked to my friend who claims that he was admitted to UNM two weeks after he sent in his application. I think this is dubious. Does anyone else know if this school admits anyone within two weeks of receiving their application?

Did he have a 180/4.0 and URM status, plus a nobel peace prize? That would do it.

The only other thing I could think of is that he applied in September maybe?

I'll be honest, I haven't heard of anything like this... except maybe for UG. Not for the law school. I am not saying it couldn't happen... but it doesn't seem likely to me.

nStiver, try to relax. Remember it took me 50 days to get admitted with numbers like yours. If you subtract winter break they still have like 8 days or so to give you a response. And it might take a few weeks longer because, remember, they now have not only the Oct. but also Dec. LSAT takers to process.

bloobook

Postby bloobook » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:07 am

Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:44 pm

I'm getting more and more excited about UNM. Albuqurque is only a 4 hour drive/45 minute plane ride for me, so I want to visit soon. Would anyone be willing to show me around? It's been a while since I've been there.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:52 pm

Aldenita, Albuquerque is a great place (at least I think so, but my heart has always been with the south west, so you may have a different opinion). It would be great if we could all meet up (assuming I get in) and get coffee or beers or something.

lobowannabe

Postby lobowannabe » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:14 pm

nStiver wrote:Aldenita, Albuquerque is a great place (at least I think so, but my heart has always been with the south west, so you may have a different opinion). It would be great if we could all meet up (assuming I get in) and get coffee or beers or something.

nStiver - Can I assume you haven't heard anything yet? If not, when did you apply? I applied on 12/9/10 and was told that I went to committee on 1/11 then again on 1/19--no other updates available. I guess I didn't think this process would take so long. It is really frustrating. At least I haven't received a denial. The priority application date is Feb. 15th so hopefully that means we should all hear something soon.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:38 pm

lobowannabe wrote:
nStiver wrote:Aldenita, Albuquerque is a great place (at least I think so, but my heart has always been with the south west, so you may have a different opinion). It would be great if we could all meet up (assuming I get in) and get coffee or beers or something.

nStiver - Can I assume you haven't heard anything yet? If not, when did you apply? I applied on 12/9/10 and was told that I went to committee on 1/11 then again on 1/19--no other updates available. I guess I didn't think this process would take so long. It is really frustrating. At least I haven't received a denial. The priority application date is Feb. 15th so hopefully that means we should all hear something soon.

I applied on January 1st. I had status updates on 1/11 and 1/19 as well. And now nothing else. I would not stress out too much. Worst case scenario: get rejected and re apply next cycle.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:13 pm

Aldenita wrote:I'm getting more and more excited about UNM. Albuqurque is only a 4 hour drive/45 minute plane ride for me, so I want to visit soon. Would anyone be willing to show me around? It's been a while since I've been there.

I could totes show you around (and hopefully we could meet up with others in Albuquerque in the thread, like nStiver)... just send me a PM when you know when you are coming, and we will come up with a schedule and exchange numbers to we can meet up.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:19 pm

lobowannabe and nStiver:

IT TOOK 50 DAYS FOR THEM TO GET BACK TO ME! :D And I applied over a month before you guys. And there was a break in there. Also, UNM was closed Tues, Weds, Friday, and half of Thurs last week. So you can pretty much count that as a break too.

So, the point? I know it feels like forever :) , but the quickest any school got back to me was four weeks. And that is considered, from everything I have read, uncommonly fast. I wouldn't expect to hear anything for you guys for at least a couple weeks. Try alcohol to fill the time? :mrgreen:

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:09 pm

firemed wrote:
Aldenita wrote:I'm getting more and more excited about UNM. Albuqurque is only a 4 hour drive/45 minute plane ride for me, so I want to visit soon. Would anyone be willing to show me around? It's been a while since I've been there.

I could totes show you around (and hopefully we could meet up with others in Albuquerque in the thread, like nStiver)... just send me a PM when you know when you are coming, and we will come up with a schedule and exchange numbers to we can meet up.

Thanks! I'd like that a lot. I have no idea why so many of y'all are having to wait so long. I applied 12/26 and had a decision rendered on 1/19. I'm still waiting for other schools also, so I really wouldn't worry too much. Adcoms can be kind of random sometimes.,

lobowannabe

Postby lobowannabe » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:56 pm

firemed wrote:lobowannabe and nStiver:

IT TOOK 50 DAYS FOR THEM TO GET BACK TO ME! :D And I applied over a month before you guys. And there was a break in there. Also, UNM was closed Tues, Weds, Friday, and half of Thurs last week. So you can pretty much count that as a break too.

So, the point? I know it feels like forever :) , but the quickest any school got back to me was four weeks. And that is considered, from everything I have read, uncommonly fast. I wouldn't expect to hear anything for you guys for at least a couple weeks. Try alcohol to fill the time? :mrgreen:

Thanks for the support Firemed. At this point not sure if there is enough alcohol to make me feel any better. A simple letter in the mail would do it for sure.

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:04 pm

Aldenita wrote:
Thanks! I'd like that a lot. I have no idea why so many of y'all are having to wait so long. I applied 12/26 and had a decision rendered on 1/19. I'm still waiting for other schools also, so I really wouldn't worry too much. Adcoms can be kind of random sometimes.,

Um, well, I guess you just blew my time estimates right out of the water! Never mind... you hear that lobo and nStiver? PANIC!

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:39 pm

firemed wrote:
Aldenita wrote:

Um, well, I guess you just blew my time estimates right out of the water! Never mind... you hear that lobo and nStiver? PANIC!

No that wasn't my intention at all. I still have not heard back from three schools...that was the point I was trying to make. Nobody should panic!

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:05 pm

Aldenita wrote:
firemed wrote:
Aldenita wrote:

No that wasn't my intention at all. I still have not heard back from three schools...that was the point I was trying to make. Nobody should panic!

:lol: :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”