University of New Mexico 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Theprodigalson

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby Theprodigalson » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:37 pm

Got my letter today, final decision. Accepted :D. All I got was a letter, should I be expecting a packet of some type?

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:38 pm

Theprodigalson wrote:Got my letter today, final decision. Accepted :D. All I got was a letter, should I be expecting a packet of some type?

Good luck with that. I don't think we do packets here in the land of entrapment. Maybe they will give us one in April at the meet n' greet?

In any case, all I got was a second letter from the dean, who seems very nice.

On another note, all I could find in the sweatshirt department for the law school was a grey hoodie with the words "UNM" and the scales of justice way down on the pockets. I plan to buy it and wear my Aggies beanie with it. Maybe with my CNM t-shirt underneath. Just to be, you know, a little contrary. :mrgreen:

Theprodigalson

Postby Theprodigalson » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:19 am

firemed wrote:
Theprodigalson wrote:Got my letter today, final decision. Accepted :D. All I got was a letter, should I be expecting a packet of some type?

Good luck with that. I don't think we do packets here in the land of entrapment. Maybe they will give us one in April at the meet n' greet?

On another note, all I could find in the sweatshirt department for the law school was a grey hoodie with the words "UNM" and the scales of justice way down on the pockets. I plan to buy it and wear my Aggies beanie with it. Maybe with my CNM t-shirt underneath. Just to be, you know, a little contrary. :mrgreen:

Ha the land of entrapment. I like this. So as there was no mention of scholarship in my acceptance letter it's safe to assume I am expected to cover the tuition in it's entirety? Kind of a downer as an out of state student. In any case if I do end up here I plan on wearing as much Chicago themed attire as possible. Go Cubs.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:42 am

Theprodigalson wrote:
firemed wrote:

Ha the land of entrapment. I like this. So as there was no mention of scholarship in my acceptance letter it's safe to assume I am expected to cover the tuition in it's entirety? Kind of a downer as an out of state student. In any case if I do end up here I plan on
wearing as much Chicago themed attire as possible. Go Cubs.

If you don't mind my asking, what were your numbers?

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:11 pm

Theprodigalson wrote:
Ha the land of entrapment. I like this. So as there was no mention of scholarship in my acceptance letter it's safe to assume I am expected to cover the tuition in it's entirety? Kind of a downer as an out of state student. In any case if I do end up here I plan on wearing as much Chicago themed attire as possible. Go Cubs.

Yes... no mention of scholly, no scholly. Apparently they offer very little in the way of merit based aid.

There is, however, the NeedAccess thing to do for need based aid. They won't tell you until late in May whether you got any though (booooo!). So you might want to pay the deposit at a secondary school with a scholly if money is a big issue for you, and then make a final decision in June.

I have to ask... as an out of state person your numbers had to be good enough to qualify for a scholarship at another school. Why not go to UIUC or somewhere similar with a scholly? Or, conversely, why UNM?

lobowannabe

Postby lobowannabe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:15 pm

firemed wrote:

Firemed - Land of Entrapment? Couldn't you have at least waited to share the secret until after they paid their seat deposit? And by the way--Aggie? You're a LOBO now!

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:07 pm

lobowannabe wrote:
Firemed - Land of Entrapment? Couldn't you have at least waited to share the secret until after they paid their seat deposit? And by the way--Aggie? You're a LOBO now!

Aggies for life!!!!!!

And you are right, I should have had them pay the seat deposit first. Is it true that if you find someone to take your place the state will let you go? Like a hostage exchange?

lobowannabe

Postby lobowannabe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:27 pm

firemed wrote:
lobowannabe wrote:

Aggies for life!!!!!!

And you are right, I should have had them pay the seat deposit first. Is it true that if you find someone to take your place the state will let you go? Like a hostage exchange?

Any idea about how the whole status thing works? I've been "application complete" and dated December 2010 (when I applied) and yet my dates changed twice in January. I called and left a message for admissions but haven't heard back yet--that was about a week ago.

Theprodigalson

Postby Theprodigalson » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:09 pm

lobowannabe wrote:
firemed wrote:
lobowannabe wrote:

Aggies for life!!!!!!

Any idea about how the whole status thing works? I've been "application complete" and dated December 2010 (when I applied) and yet my dates changed twice in January. I called and left a message for admissions but haven't heard back yet--that was about a week ago.

As someone who also applied in December and had the double status change in Jan. I would think it is safe to assume that your application is in lieu of a final determination which will be your next and final update. Then you get to play the waiting game with snail mail(4 days from mail date from NM to IL). As far as UIUC, they gave me a prompt denial. Kent is offering me money, didn't apply to loyola (no interest) and lowest ranked Depaul W/L (was supposed to be a safety app). So my reception has been kind of all over the place so far guess that is the "magic" of being URM. Why apply to UNM you ask? Its because I grew up there, have family there and see it as an alternative to heavily saturated and highly competitive Chicagoland law market.

lobowannabe

Postby lobowannabe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:20 pm

Theprodigalson wrote:
lobowannabe wrote:
firemed wrote:
lobowannabe wrote:

Aggies for life!!!!!!

As someone who also applied in December and had the double status change in Jan. I would think it is safe to assume that your application is in lieu of a final determination which will be your next and final update. Then you get to play the waiting game with snail mail(4 days from mail date from NM to IL). As far as UIUC, they gave me a prompt denial. Kent is offering me money, didn't apply to loyola (no interest) and lowest ranked Depaul W/L (was supposed to be a safety app). So my reception has been kind of all over the place so far guess that is the "magic" of being URM. Why apply to UNM you ask? Its because I grew up there, have family there and see it as an alternative to heavily saturated and highly competitive Chicagoland law market.

Thanks. Kind of glad to hear that this has happened to someone else. This waiting is killing me.

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:25 pm

Theprodigalson wrote:
lobowannabe wrote:

First answer is that you go from "complete" to "decision rendered" with no intervening status.

Second, to prodigalson, that sounds like an awesome reason to attend! I hope NeedAccess works out for you!

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:56 pm

Not to diss on the school which I really want to attend, but is it just me or is the admissions department at UNM law slow in getting back to perspective students. When I was considering L&C, I emailed them asking them to approve a 4th LSAT. I got a response in one day, and it was filled with great and seemingly genuine advice about admissions to their program and rolling admissions cycles in general. I also emailed UNM with the same question, and I literally did not hear back from them for 4 weeks, when they sent a two sentence email stating that my 4th lsat had been approved. By this time I had already sent in my application.

One would think that they would be a bit quicker about getting back to prospective students.

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:10 pm

nStiver wrote:Not to diss on the school which I really want to attend, but is it just me or is the admissions department at UNM law slow in getting back to perspective students. When I was considering L&C, I emailed them asking them to approve a 4th LSAT. I got a response in one day, and it was filled with great and seemingly genuine advice about admissions to their program and rolling admissions cycles in general. I also emailed UNM with the same question, and I literally did not hear back from them for 4 weeks, when they sent a two sentence email stating that my 4th lsat had been approved. By this time I had already sent in my application.

One would think that they would be a bit quicker about getting back to prospective students.

They do seem very slow. My guess is that because they don't charge much in tuition they aren't the money making enterprise most law schools are for their universities. Therefore they don't have as much staff, and the staff they do have are probably working 2 or 3 different jobs in the department at one time. This is how it always seems to be at the other departments at UNM I have noticed.

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:33 pm

My decision letter went out on Thursday and I still haven't received it. I'm in far west Texas (that probably gives it away), so I'm guessing they sent my letter via a pigeon. Since I live in west Texas, a lot of people get reciprocity and go to NMSU for undergrad. Any chance of me getting residency in New Mexico if my family owns land there?

firemed

Postby firemed » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:59 am

Aldenita wrote:My decision letter went out on Thursday and I still haven't received it. I'm in far west Texas (that probably gives it away), so I'm guessing they sent my letter via a pigeon. Since I live in west Texas, a lot of people get reciprocity and go to NMSU for undergrad. Any chance of me getting residency in New Mexico if my family owns land there?

You could see if they have a matriculation agreement. If not the question would then be: Does your family pay New Mexico state taxes? And if so, are you a dependent?

The application had all kinds of questions like this on it, I would guess it probably covered most of the cases, but you may have a special situation, in which case talking to admissions might help.

ETA: Damn US Postal Service!!! Seriously, sometimes I really don't get it. I received an acceptance from a school in Canada 15 days after they mailed it, but someone in West Texas received theirs 4 days later. It makes no sense at all. Good luck, I know the waiting sucks.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:17 pm

firemed, how long did it take for you to hear back from UNM with an acceptance letter from the date you submitted your application?

firemed

Postby firemed » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:46 am

nStiver wrote:firemed, how long did it take for you to hear back from UNM with an acceptance letter from the date you submitted your application?

50 days. But the earlier you submit, the sooner it comes back. Right now they have all the Dec. LSAT takers to contend with, so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes longer.

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:13 pm

I got my acceptance letter, but there was no scholly :(. I really like UNM, but it doesn't make sense for me to go there unless I can get residency eventually.

firemed

Postby firemed » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:42 pm

Aldenita wrote:I got my acceptance letter, but there was no scholly :(. I really like UNM, but it doesn't make sense for me to go there unless I can get residency eventually.

Congratulations!!!

You should definitely call them and talk to them about residency. It may be possible. If your family pays state taxes and you are a dependent it may well happen. And I still think you should check and see if there is some kind of agreement between TX and NM that might get you residency.

If you aren't having luck with the LS, try calling the undergrad admissions of UNM. They should be able to answer all your questions about residency, and they are always there answering the phones.

lobowannabe

Postby lobowannabe » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Aldenita wrote:I got my acceptance letter, but there was no scholly :(. I really like UNM, but it doesn't make sense for me to go there unless I can get residency eventually.

CONGRATULATIONS!! Hopefully you will be able to work something out with them about residency. You will love New Mexico and probably never want to leave. :D

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:32 pm

I live like 10 minutes away from the New Mexico border and I have grown up travelling throughout the state. Do you think UNM would be willing to negotiate scholarships? The reason I'm asking is because a similarly ranked school has offered me $20,000 a year. It's in the northeast and I don't really see myself practicing there though. Suggestions?

lobowannabe

Postby lobowannabe » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:37 pm

Aldenita wrote:I live like 10 minutes away from the New Mexico border and I have grown up travelling throughout the state. Do you think UNM would be willing to negotiate scholarships? The reason I'm asking is because a similarly ranked school has offered me $20,000 a year. It's in the northeast and I don't really see myself practicing there though. Suggestions?

I'm sorry. I have no idea what options they have available to them. Firemed seems to have a pretty good handle on how things run at the law school. Maybe he'll be able to offer some assistance.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:13 pm

Aldenita wrote:I live like 10 minutes away from the New Mexico border and I have grown up travelling throughout the state. Do you think UNM would be willing to negotiate scholarships? The reason I'm asking is because a similarly ranked school has offered me $20,000 a year. It's in the northeast and I don't really see myself practicing there though. Suggestions?

As far as I can tell they don't do much merit aid. On the other hand it really doesn't hurt to ask. I really think you need to screw up your courage and call them. Explain your situation and see if they can help. Seriously, if you live 10 minutes from the border, there might be something they can do. Also ask if there are any agreements.... you may qualify for NM residency through an articulation agreement or something similar.

You haven't ever answered my questions about paying taxes.... do you? That will make a huge difference.

Also, can I ask who offered the $20K? I just got $11K from L&C who is similarly ranked.... shame it wasn't more, I always wanted to live in OR.

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:06 pm

I'm sorry. Yes, my parents pay New Mexico property taxes. They are attorneys and both of them are liscenced to practice in New Mexico as well. Penn State offered me $20,000 a year.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:52 pm

Aldenita wrote:I'm sorry. Yes, my parents pay New Mexico property taxes. They are attorneys and both of them are liscenced to practice in New Mexico as well. Penn State offered me $20,000 a year.

Hmmm.... Penn state only offered me $5K a year.

Anyway, I would call them and see if you can change your application to in state. See if they have articulation agreements, or if you qualify based off your parents part time residency. If you have a job in NM and paid taxes yourself too that wouldn't hurt. Seriously I bet they might be able to help you.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”