University of New Mexico 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
retiree

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby retiree » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:17 pm

firemed wrote:
retiree wrote:Saw an ad for an attorney in the Sunday Journal, and sure hope it is not a harbinger of the future ABQ job market for law school grads:

Bankruptcy/Foreclosure $3000/month negotiable/flexible

Um... you aren't helping. :shock: Seriously though... you keep putting up these things that make me question my decision! Stop it! :D

Besides... if you read ATL you can totes see how this isn't just Albuquerque. Their craigslist ads are hilarious.

Let's just hope the economy improves.

I don't mean to upset anyone. Knowing what is out there--the landscape--is part of anyone's homework, and economics plays a part (whether consciously or unconsciously) in all our choices, whether it is buying a car, buying a house, shopping for groceries, or choosing a grad school program. Firemed, you sound like from your other posts, that you have done your homework and have made the decision that works for you. Some people plow blindly into endeavors with no idea of the situation or consequences, and then wonder why something is not working or did not turn out.

I don't have that impression of you. You are a firefighter, and firefighters have methodologies, procedures, that they must follow if everyone is going to stay safe and the fire is put out. My guess is that you have carried that discipline into your decision to go to law school. So quit second-guessing yourself at this point. (It is kind of like writing a paper--at some point you have to stop the research, and write and finish the paper. Otherwise, people would research forever.) BTW, enlighten me--what is ATL? (besides the airport code for Atlanta)

firemed

Postby firemed » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:14 pm

retiree wrote: BTW, enlighten me--what is ATL? (besides the airport code for Atlanta)

Above the Law. A legal tabloid. Frequently hilarious even if I don't always agree with them.

I must say, that you sir, you embarrass me with your praise. And, BTW, no matter how safe the intellectual part of your mind tells the emotional part you are going to be.... giant effing flames shooting out of a house make you nervous. Same thing with law school, only the economy is the flames and the ads and articles are the smoke! :lol: :lol: :lol:

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:17 pm

firemed: Sir (retiree) is a Ma'am.

retiree

Postby retiree » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:39 pm

firemed wrote:
retiree wrote: BTW, enlighten me--what is ATL? (besides the airport code for Atlanta)

Above the Law. A legal tabloid. Frequently hilarious even if I don't always agree with them.

I must say, that you sir, you embarrass me with your praise. And, BTW, no matter how safe the intellectual part of your mind tells the emotional part you are going to be.... giant effing flames shooting out of a house make you nervous. Same thing with law school, only the economy is the flames and the ads and articles are the smoke! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ranks right up there with getting shot at, regardless whether one graduated at the top of the marksmanship class! Hope your day is quiet.

firemed

Postby firemed » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:43 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:firemed: Sir (retiree) is a Ma'am.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

@ retiree: I apologize. My bad.

jeffreymabq

Postby jeffreymabq » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:46 pm

retiree wrote: Some people plow blindly into endeavors with no idea of the situation or consequences, and then wonder why something is not working or did not turn out.

Whoops. Have faith people, there is a slot opening up.

J/K

Retiree cites some of the reasons why I am staying here. Did I get accepted at some great schools - yes. Did I change my mind at the last second about applying at some really great schools...Absolutely! Why? UNM is (relatively) inexpensive for what you get - and, if sh*t happens - well then I don't have $150K+ in loans to payoff.

Or, take the Chicken Little approach - if the economy ain't better in 2014, we may not have a government to repay our loans too. Figure I am covered either direction.

jeffreymabq

Postby jeffreymabq » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:54 pm

FYI, just got this email to end the tuition debate once and for all.
Tuition for Fall and Spring Semester
<SNIP!>
The UNM Board of Regents approved tuition rates last week. While we knew it was a 5.5% increase, I didn’t get the official “number” until this week. As a full-time law school student, tuition for the Fall 2011 and Spring 2012 academic year is $14,520 for residents and $32,438 for non-residents. Add room and board at $8,518, books/supplies $1,126, transportation $1,684, and miscellaneous $3,090, the annual cost of attendance is $28,938 for residents and $46,856 for non-residents. This information is listed in the “Tuition, Fees and Financial Aid” section of the Admitted Student’s webpage at http://lawschool.unm.edu/admissions/adm ... ancial.php
<SNIP!>

retiree

Postby retiree » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:18 pm

firemed wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:firemed: Sir (retiree) is a Ma'am.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

@ retiree: I apologize. My bad.

No problem. I use 'sir' all the time out of habit, and some of the recipients are females.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:51 pm

Might as well get used to it. Once you're finished with law school, you'll get used to using the phrase "Your Honor" without really meaning it. :D

P.S. Assuming, of course, that you try cases outside of New Mexico.

retiree

Postby retiree » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:28 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Might as well get used to it. Once you're finished with law school, you'll get used to using the phrase "Your Honor" without really meaning it. :D

P.S. Assuming, of course, that you try cases outside of New Mexico.

Oh, that is funny, too, CanadianWolf. But I see a distinct difference between the two (I like your double entendre). If I am in a store or restaurant and need to get someone's attention, I use sir/m'am because I don't know the name of the person whose attention I need to get. Of course, in our household, we addressed our parents with sir and m'am (as well as the parents of our friends), or you heard about it. That was life back in another century. Not sure how kids learn manners today, since I don't see a whole lot of them practiced. The disrespect toward teachers, even, is deplorable, not to mention other authority figures. I am appalled at the rude behavior I see from customers in stores.

As I mentioned in another earlier posting, I think that for the most part the tone and language in this specific forum is well mannered and respectful of each other. I am sure you have read other areas of the TLC website, and some of those people are unbelievable. The only thing missing from their viscious attacks is a USMC sniper rifle.

SarahagMont

Postby SarahagMont » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:57 pm

Does anyone know if UNM gives decisions over the phone? My decision date was 4/20 (I am expecting a rejection this late in the cycle and just want to get it over with before the weekend!)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:59 pm

It could be an acceptance because the first deposit date just passed.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:33 pm

SarahagMont wrote:Does anyone know if UNM gives decisions over the phone? My decision date was 4/20 (I am expecting a rejection this late in the cycle and just want to get it over with before the weekend!)

They won't. You just have to wait for the letter. Good luck!

Oh, and what Canadian said: it isn't necessarily a ding. Could well be an acceptance.

kc0iet

Postby kc0iet » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:12 pm

Still no letter from my April 19th decision, but with the non-resident tuition posted above, that pretty much states what my decision must be - regardless of what UNM's decision is :cry:

At my age, I just cannot justify that kind of debt, no matter how much I love the land of enchantment.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:07 pm

kc0iet wrote:Still no letter from my April 19th decision, but with the non-resident tuition posted above, that pretty much states what my decision must be - regardless of what UNM's decision is :cry:

At my age, I just cannot justify that kind of debt, no matter how much I love the land of enchantment.

Even though you will get in-state tuition for your second and third years? Also, there is still time to apply for need based aid.

If you can't do it, I understand. The amount of debt is intimidating. I wouldn't blame you at all for considering other options. But I would love to see you there.

ETA: Here is what I would do if you are accepted- First, pay the partially refundable first deposit. Second, apply for need based aid, see what you get. Third, talk to admissions about how the cost is making it very hard for you to fully commit. They may be able to help you out. They may not, but you lose nothing by trying.

Ultimately you would only be out part of $200 (worst case), and you could make a decision in late May. Of course, this is just what I would do in your position. But at least that way you would have a much clearer picture of what the future situation is financially- before you made your decision.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:34 pm

nStiver wrote:You know, 147 is only a few points beneath the 50th percentile, so its not like it is THAT bad. My diagnostic was a 147. Anyhow, as Firemed said, I think you and I will start to see the accept/reject letters coming down the pike now that the deposits have gone in.

Dude.... have you heard yet? I am really hoping you make it!!!

retiree

Re: University of New Mexico 2011 - the waiting game

Postby retiree » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:27 pm

I hope everyone gets their acceptance. In the meantime, while waiting out the waiting game, why not try your hand at this little test, with all the places you could visit if you weren't spending money on tuition, books, and exhorbitant fees. :( and :lol:

Take the 'Pilot's Geography Test.' Warning--it can become addictive!

http://www.lufthansa-vp.com/vp1/play.html

(Hey, it beats counting all the calories from the chocolate bunnies you may be o.d.'ing on!)

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:35 pm

firemed wrote:
nStiver wrote:You know, 147 is only a few points beneath the 50th percentile, so its not like it is THAT bad. My diagnostic was a 147. Anyhow, as Firemed said, I think you and I will start to see the accept/reject letters coming down the pike now that the deposits have gone in.

Ugg, no. I am bracing for the worst. Still no decision rendered. It would be great to get in, I would be totally pumped, but if not then I just have to steel myself to another year of grinding the LSAT, and no half ass measures this time around on the personal statement and application date.

I just got a new job though so at least I will have something to do for the next year if I don't get in.

I still draw consolation from the fact that several people didn't get in until like April 30 in the UNM thread last year.

And thanks for the encouragement man, I appreciate it!

kc0iet

Postby kc0iet » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:58 am

nStiver wrote:
firemed wrote:

Ugg, no. I am bracing for the worst. Still no decision rendered. It would be great to get in, I would be totally pumped, but if not then I just have to steel myself to another year of grinding the LSAT, and no half ass measures this time around on the personal statement and application date.

I just got a new job though so at least I will have something to do for the next year if I don't get in.

I still draw consolation from the fact that several people didn't get in until like April 30 in the UNM thread last year.

And thanks for the encouragement man, I appreciate it!

Me Too! Today's mail has already arrived and still nothing! Status checker still says decision was rendered on April 19th! I received other first class mail that was postmarked April 23rd from California today, but still nothing from UNM.

Today is really the last day that I can hope to get my seat deposit to the other offer by the deadline so I guess that's that. :cry:

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:02 pm

kc0iet wrote:
Me Too! Today's mail has already arrived and still nothing! Status checker still says decision was rendered on April 19th! I received other first class mail that was postmarked April 23rd from California today, but still nothing from UNM.

Today is really the last day that I can hope to get my seat deposit to the other offer by the deadline so I guess that's that. :cry:

You could call the other school and ask for a deposit deadline extension.

ETA: or call UNM and explain your situation and why it is vital, and ask if they will tell you what the letter says...

gostros

Postby gostros » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:52 pm

First post but figured I'd join the thread now. Decision rendered April 25, acceptance received today! Good thing I'm in Albuquerque, waiting any more would have killed me, ha. I'm psyched to be joining those of you who are already in, and best of luck to those who haven't heard yet!

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:13 pm

Congrats gostros. April 26 for me and no decision yet. I really wish they would not do this to us.

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:21 pm

gostros wrote:First post but figured I'd join the thread now. Decision rendered April 25, acceptance received today! Good thing I'm in Albuquerque, waiting any more would have killed me, ha. I'm psyched to be joining those of you who are already in, and best of luck to those who haven't heard yet!

Welcome to you! I look forward to meeting you soon.

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:23 pm

nStiver wrote:Congrats gostros. April 26 for me and no decision yet. I really wish they would not do this to us.

I do wish they would get back to you already. I am starting to feel your stress a little. I am rooting for you like I root for my favorite team... but just like that, there ain't anything I can do to effect the outcome. It is like your game has just gone into its third overtime with no score.... ugh.

gostros

Postby gostros » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:52 pm

nStiver wrote:Congrats gostros. April 26 for me and no decision yet. I really wish they would not do this to us.

Seriously though, I've been following your predicament in the earlier posts, I was starting to get super anxious myself! If it's consolation, my friend who's a 2L there now didn't hear back till about mid may, so they can be super slow on the whole letting people know thing. Good luck though, hopefully you hear soon!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”